PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats add transfer quarterback

CSN Log
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
08-04-2009 04:33 PM

Bearkats add transfer quarterback

A day before the Sam Houston State football team reports for fall camp, the Bearkats have announced the arrival of transfer quarterback Blake Joseph to the 2009 squad.

Joseph (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) joins the team after spending four years at the University of Houston, where he made five starts for the Cougars.

“He is athletic with a big arm,” head football coach Todd Whitten said. “He has some Division 1 starts under his belt. I think he is somewhat of a proven commodity.”

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/04/bearkats-add-transfer-quarterback?blog=2#more5279)

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Glad this got worked out.

A parent of one of our players reported Joseph was doing 7-on-7 with our guys this summer. He had not left yet, so as noted in another thread, I figured this was just a compliance issue being worked out - possibly waiting on grades, transcripts, no telling what.

He's the only QB on our staff with Division I starts - FCS or FBS. Thank goodness we got a proven guy like this on our squad. Does it improve our team and their chances of winning this season? We'll have to wait and see, but I am sure believing that it put some Bearkat fans at ease.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Got asked about this on BobcatFans.com...why did SHSU add Joseph?

Several things...

1) Joseph is a one-year deal. Already graduated from Houston with an undergrad.

2) All I have heard about Joseph is about his leadership qualities, his football smarts, etc. I am personally hoping this translates to him being a GA next year for the Kats, because everything I have heard makes me want this kid to be associated with the program.

3) SHSU had a QB issue to address. We have several talented true freshmen coming in, plus we had a returning redshirt freshman (who is now OUT for the year) and a junior (who was a JUCO transfer into the program last year). Our QBs heading into the year were that JUCO junior and we'd not been able to redshirt our freshmen. You'd have to put one on the roster and travel another with the risk of burning the redshirt That is not a good situation.

This is a great move for our program. I am typically not a big fan of relying on transfers, because we have had some strong QBs come through (see Brett Hicks, Wade Pate) in the last few years, who did not get a true chance to show their stuff, but were winning when they did.

You only take a FBS transfer behind center if it is a difference maker or you are in a bind. I think once you know about our QB situation and the lack of a single Division I start amongst them, you'll realize we had no other choice.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Profile...

Blake Joseph
# 12
Quarterback - QB
Height: 6-2 Weight: 215
Senior
Previous Affiliations
Bryan
Previous Experience
TR
Bryan

Veteran athletic quarterback with big arm ... transfer from the University of Houston ... redshirt in 2005 then played in 22 games during the next three seasons ... completed 120 of 184 passes for 1,581 yards and 10 touchdowns during his career with the Cougars ... best season came in 2007 when he started five times, passing for 1,324 yards and nine scores ... threw for 318 yards and three touchdowns in the 2007 Rice game ... 2005 graduate of Bryan High School ... first team All-District and All-Brazos Valley ... team "Most Valuable Player" and "Offensive Player-of-the-Year" ... pitcher and outfielder in baseball ... first team Academic All-District and honorable mention Academic All-State

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
From SMDR...

Yesterday, a day before the team reported to camp, the Bearkats — Texas State’s most heated rival — announced the arrival of transfer quarterback Blake Joseph, who spent the last four years playing for the University of Houston.

'Most heated rival'...? Humorous...

Joseph is the third quarterback in four years which transferred to Sam Houston from a FBS school. Rhett Bomar joined the Bearkats from the University of Oklahoma, while Josh McCown, who currently plays for the Carolina Panthers, was a transfer from Southern Methodist.

Worded funny and not accurate. Last four years - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. Not sure what 'last four years' is - so included five. We have only had two FBS quarterbacks over that time and none was named Josh McCown. I guess you include Jordan Reever (LSU), but did he even make it to fall ball? Am I missing someone?

Noah Allen/Dustin Long (2004)
Rhett Bomar (2006 - DNP until 2007, 2008)
Blake Joseph (2009)

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_218111836.html