PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern Provides Update on FBS Feasibility Study

CSN Log
July 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
07-30-2009 02:08 PM

Georgia Southern Provides Update on FBS Feasibility Study

Document examines aspects of current Eagles athletics department to assess potential move

Georgia Southern University released Thursday (July 30) its Football Reclassification Analysis as developed under contract by the consulting firm of Rosser International, Inc., McGee-Geiger and CSL International. Prepared to examine and assess the University’s position and potential for elevating its football program to the NCAA Division-I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), the document contains an extensive review of facilities, current and future scholarship allotments and budget considerations and comparisons. The study provides a roadmap for activity and minimum necessary funding for reclassification. The full report is available for review at <a href="http://www.GeorgiaSouthern.edu/athleticstudy.<">www.GeorgiaSouthern.edu/athleticstudy.

University officials announced plans for a prospective study in November 2007 and initial analysis began in June 2008. Surveys, public forums and meetings with various constituents continued through the early part of 2009. As requested, the consultants reassessed some initial projections to more accurately reflect the current and foreseeable economic landscape.

“With the multitude of factors that had to be analyzed, this study helped the University identify the resources required to succeed at our current level of competition and identify the improvements and facilities needed should the University elect to pursue this change", said Ron Core, vice president for business and finance. “It is important for us not to underestimate the funding required and at the same time, maintain a realistic perspective of potential funding sources.”

Further analysis and discussion of the research, survey results and funding sources will assist University and athletics department administration in determining a future course of action. The NCAA-mandated moratorium on any reclassification continues through December 2011. Currently, the 15 sports programs sponsored by the University (football, baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, men’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, women’s swimming, men’s and women’s tennis, indoor and outdoor track and volleyball) compete at the NCAA Division-I level.

By Georgia Southern University Athletic Media Relations

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wonder how a similar vote would turn out amongst San Marcos constituents...

Approximately 76% of survey respondents indicated they would support a move to FBS if Georgia Southern were to join Conference USA. Survey respondents were less interested in supporting a move to the Sun Belt Conference (52%) or a new conference (50%).

And an interesting group of "peer institutions"....

• Alabama–Birmingham;
• Central Florida;
• East Carolina;
• Florida Atlantic;
• Florida International;
• Marshall;
• Mississippi State;
• South Florida;
• Southern Mississippi;
• Troy; and,
• Western Kentucky.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Here is an article from the Savannah Paper about the results.

http://savannahnow.com/node/760428

The Article has a link to the study... but I doubt anyone not from GSU would want to read 113 pages of charts and graphs. :)

Green26
July 31st, 2009, 11:40 AM
The recently released Geogia Southern feasibility study essentially concludes that moving up to I-A is not financially feasibility. Here are some highlights.

1. GS's athletlic budget of just over $9 million would have to be increased by 40% to $14.2 million. This increased amount would still be very low for budgets of I-A schools.

2. GS would have to expand it football stadium, as well as other athletic facilities, including a new basketball area and improved practiced facilities. The increased budget amount of $14.2 million does not include the necessary amounts to service the debt of these expanded facilities and related operating costs.

3. The cost of new and improved facilities would be incurred incrementally, as building would be done in phases, but would ultimately cost $84 million. Related debt service would be $5.5 million and $800,000 of operating costs annually.

4. Eventually, the additional annual costs would be $11.3 million annually.

5. The earliest feasible time for moving up would be 2014.

6. Of the boosters, non-contributing ticket payers, students, faculty/staff and alumni surveyed, less than a majority favored moving up. A majority of the boosters favored moving up, with reservations (concerns about cost and whether they would be competitive). One third of the boosters and non-contributing ticket payers were opposed to moving up. Nevertheless, there is still significant support for the move.

7. The after tax income of people living within 50 miles is a very low $32,000.

8. Potential corporate support within 50 miles--for donations and sponsorships--appeared to be at the lower end of comparable markets.

9. Of those surveyed, 72% said they would consider a one-time donation. The average amount would be $239. 74% of the surveyed potential one-time donors would donate less than $249. About 3/4 of Southern Booster donors would consider increasing their donations. The GS booster base would be comparable to other Sun Belt schools, but far below those of other conferences.

10. It appeared that ticket prices could be increased about $5 without encountering significant price resistance. About 3/4 of students said they would be okay with a $25 annual increase in student fees.

11. There was not significant support for premium seating, club seats or suites.

12. Revenue from non-BCS bowl games is a myth and there would not be significant revenue from bowl games. This reality was contrary to the perceptions of many surveyed. I didn't notice a discussion of conference revenues in the executive summary, but maybe I missed it.

13. Recruiting would be positively impacted by moving up. GS could probably be competitive.

14. The Sunbelt or a new conference of teams moving up would be the most likely conferences. GS would seem to be positioned fairly well for the Sun Belt. GS' increased athletic budget would still be very low for the Sunbelt. Far more people would support the move up if the move were to Conference USA (like an increase to about 75% from about 50%, if I read this right).

15. While there is significant pride and support for the move in the fan base, due to the magnitude of the necessary additional funds, the current support base "would not be able to generate adequate funds" to pay for the cost of moving up.

16. The decision would not be based on any profit motive. It would have to be based on the prestige factor and how that would impact the school.

Feel free to supplement or correct. I did this fairly fast, without having a hard copy in front of me. I read only the executive summary.