PDA

View Full Version : May baseball in the north

FargoBison
May 2nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/200505020502ndsu.jpg

The Bison and the Jackrabbits were scheduled to play a double header at Newman Outdoor Field in Fargo yesterday but after a 43 minute snow delay during the 3rd inning the Jacks decided it was time to go back home south to Brookings and forfieted the game to the Bison. The Bison were ready to continue the game after the delay but by the time the snow had stopped and the field was prepared for play the wimpy rabbits couldn't take the cold and were already boarding their bus heading for the fastest exit south to Brookings.

Hammerhead
May 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM
I guess those southerners can't take the cold. :)

eaglefan452
May 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Snow in May! That is just ridiculous, it has been unusually cold here in Georgia as well, temperatures are supposed to dip into the 60's today.

Grizo406
May 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
It will snow just about anytime in Montana.

One of the many good things about living in Missoula is that the snow doesn't stick around for that long. It snows a little...people enjoy it and recreate in it, then it's gone. It's never been that big of an inconvenience for me. Sure makes hunting a lot easier.

I love the stuff!

bisonguy
May 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Snow in May! That is just ridiculous, it has been unusually cold here in Georgia as well, temperatures are supposed to dip into the 60's today.

Don't worry, we've already had highs in the upper 80's (87, to be exact) in April in Fargo.

There's a lot of "variety" to the weather up here. That's why people talk about it so much. ;)

Highs in the 70's for the rest of the week!

89rabbit
May 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/200505020502ndsu.jpg

The Bison and the Jackrabbits were scheduled to play a double header at Newman Outdoor Field in Fargo yesterday but after a 43 minute snow delay during the 3rd inning the Jacks decided it was time to go back home south to Brookings and forfieted the game to the Bison. The Bison were ready to continue the game after the delay but by the time the snow had stopped and the field was prepared for play the wimpy rabbits couldn't take the cold and were already boarding their bus heading for the fastest exit south to Brookings.

What our Bison friend neglected to mention is that we had already beaten them 5 times in a row this season, so the fact that the game was tied 1-1 in the Bottom of the 3rd was reason to play on in those weather conditions (at least in their minds), because they might have a chance at winning. :nonono2:

Previous 2005 SDSU vs NDSU scores

SDSU 10 - NDSU 1
SDSU 4 - NDSU 3
SDSU 9 - NDSU 3
SDSU 8 - NDSU 1
SDSU 7 - NDSU 0

Total runs scored: SDSU 38 - NDSU 8 :asswhip:

Do you think their coach would have wanted to continue if they had been down by three? :rolleyes:

P.S. That picture was taken before the weather got bad.

FargoBison
May 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
89 I live in Fargo and that picture was about as hard as it snowed all day. There was no big snowstorm it was just a bunch of widespread flurries. I know people who were out golfing on that cold and blustery day. There were only a couple more innings left until the game was official and your rabbits should have stayed until the game was called. What was your team's rush? There was a doubleheader scheduled it wasn't like you couldn't have stuck around for a few more hours and finished off the game. Any baseball team this far north should be ready to play in less then ideal conditions like there were on that sunday, no excuse to leave before the game was called.

89rabbit
May 3rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
I guess that is why every ball game in a three state area was called. From the Fargo paper:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=90552§ion=Sports

Weather halts area games
Forum staff reports, The Forum
Published Monday, May 02, 2005

Several area events were either canceled or postponed Sunday due to weather conditions.

North Dakota State's softball doubleheader against South Dakota State was canceled due to snow. The games were scheduled to be the season finale for SDSU. . . . (SDSU was leading 5-2 but the game was called without a winner or loser)

The second day of the Minnesota State Mankato softball tournament was canceled because of what tournament officials called, "extreme weather conditions."

Both Minnesota State Moorhead and the University of North Dakota were scheduled to finish the tournament Sunday.

The UND baseball team's doubleheader against Nebraska-Omaha was rescheduled for noon today.

On top of that NDSU had the water main break in your outfieled the day before so I am pretty sure field conditions were not ideal.

Your own athletic site paints a very different picture.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=118888

The game was stopped for a 43 min. snow delay. Go Bison.com (the offical web site of NDSU athletics) called it "driving snow out of the north." Go Bison went on to say "Game time temperature was near 40 degrees and the temperature dipped into the upper 30s near the time of cancellation."

Like I said before on your board, this is a case of a team desperate to claim victory at any price. Who knows maybe I would feel the same way if I was the Coach and my team was 3-34-1 on the season, and my fans were calling for my head. Still, I would be embarrassed if I were a NDSU fan that we needed to resort to this, to claim a victory. :( :nonono2: