PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Coaches Tab Appalachian State as Favorite

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
SoCon Football Coaches Tab Appalachian State as Favorite
Mountaineers look to win fifth consecutive SoCon football title

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Southern Conference football coaches have unanimously selected Appalachian State as the preseason favorite to win the league crown in 2009.

ASU, winners of four consecutive SoCon crowns including a shared title with Wofford in 2007, received eight first-place votes in the balloting, the maximum number allowed as coaches were not allowed to vote for their own team. The Mountaineers return 18 starters this season, including seven on offense and 9-of-11 on defense.

2009 SoCon Football Preseason Coaches Poll

Place School (First-place votes) Points

1. Appalachian State (8) 64
2. Wofford 53
3. Elon 51
4. Furman 40
5. Georgia Southern (1) 39
6t. The Citadel 26
6t. Samford 26
8. Western Carolina 15
9. Chattanooga 10

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=204765732

Appinator
July 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Interesting to see that Coach Moore thought GASo was his choice for #1 over Elon with what they have returning....

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Just like everyone else. You can guess #1 and #9 and be pretty certain. #2 though #8 will be a crap shoot.

BDKJMU
July 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
SoCon Football Coaches Tab Appalachian State as Favorite

Gee, thats a shocker. Who would've thought xrolleyesx

CSN Log
July 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
07-27-2009 11:12 AM

SoCon Coaches Tab Appalachian State as Favorite

The Southern Conference football coaches have unanimously selected Appalachian State as the preseason favorite to win the league crown in 2009.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/07/27/socon-coaches-tab-appalachian-state-as-f?blog=2#more5239)

OL FU
July 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Apparently Moore thinks more of Ga Southern than the rest of the coaches. I assume they got his first place vote.

biggie
July 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Just like everyone else. You can guess #1 and #9 and be pretty certain. #2 though #8 will be a crap shoot.
Would go with 2-7 for that. Believe 8 and 9 are set. WCU should improve, just not quite yet I don't believe. Everyone else is somewhat stable from last year.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Would go with 2-7 for that. Believe 8 and 9 are set. WCU should improve, just not quite yet I don't believe. Everyone else is somewhat stable from last year.

True. I am one of those that thinks WCU will pull an upset over someone this year. With so many tough conference games on the slate for every team, I wouldn't be shocked to see WCU trap a team that's looking on towards next week or exhausted coming off an emotional game the week before.

Either way, if they play in the conference the way they played us in Greenville last year, they'll beat a few teams.

DX Man
July 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I see both GSU and Furman returning to the top 3.

DLS
July 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Interesting to see that Coach Moore thought GASo was his choice for #1 over Elon with what they have returning....

gsu was the toughest conference game we played last year. its not hard to see why moore voted that way. hatcher seems to have a pretty good grasp of how to prep for us.

Phoenixrising
July 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think y'all might be discounting Elon too soon. Yes we have had two late season collapses, but that comes from an unseasoned offense. We have one of the best veteran o-lines in the conference and our defense is the best its ever been with even more seasoned players. Elon's biggest concern this season is going to be field position as both our field-goal kicker and punter have graduated...

We have always played App State tight and we have them, as well as GaSo, at home. Wofford will give us a tough time in the Burg, but we have exchanged blowouts while away at each other's houses for three years now and we're due. Also, a lot of those seasoned players still have a bone to pick with a heartbreaker down at FU from the 07 season (a 49-52 loss that knocked us out of that three way tie with App and Wofford for the conference title)

So long story short, I'm looking forward to some Phoenix Football!

Saint3333
July 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
We have always played App State tight

Really? Can you define "always" and "tight".

2003 - 34-12
2004 - 48-7
2005 - 52-14
2006 - 45-21
2007 - 49-32
2008 - 24-16

Last year was the first time since joining the SoCon that Elon had the lead, which they held for 1 minute before ASU retook the lead.

DX Man
July 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM

2003 - 34-12
2004 - 48-7
2005 - 52-14
2006 - 45-21
2007 - 49-32
2008 - 24-16

Last year was the first time since joining the SoCon that Elon had the lead, which they held for 1 minute before ASU retook the lead.

Great post!xthumbsupx

ElonPride
July 27th, 2009, 12:42 PM

2003 - 34-12
2004 - 48-7
2005 - 52-14
2006 - 45-21
2007 - 49-32
2008 - 24-16

Not exactly sure what the "always tight" reference was either.

The last 2 games have been close, but before that it was quite embarassing.

elon77
July 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM

2003 - 34-12
2004 - 48-7
2005 - 52-14
2006 - 45-21
2007 - 49-32
2008 - 24-16

Probably should have said, except for last year, there were alot of TIGHT ASU fans in the stands at the Elon ASU footb:)all games.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I think y'all might be discounting Elon too soon. Yes we have had two late season collapses, but that comes from an unseasoned offense. We have one of the best veteran o-lines in the conference and our defense is the best its ever been with even more seasoned players. Elon's biggest concern this season is going to be field position as both our field-goal kicker and punter have graduated...

We have always played App State tight and we have them, as well as GaSo, at home. Wofford will give us a tough time in the Burg, but we have exchanged blowouts while away at each other's houses for three years now and we're due. Also, a lot of those seasoned players still have a bone to pick with a heartbreaker down at FU from the 07 season (a 49-52 loss that knocked us out of that three way tie with App and Wofford for the conference title)

That's not an excuse, IMO. Every team in the SoCon was playing underclassmen up and down the line, so the "seasoned" argument doesn't hold water. I don't think there was a single team in the Conference that wasn't starting a slew of freshmen and sophomores.

Elon has the potential to be good, but I certainly don't put them up there with Wofford. Wofford has made playoffs appareances and won playoff games, not to mentioned shelacked Elon last season in their building.

elon77
July 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
That's not an excuse, IMO. Every team in the SoCon was playing underclassmen up and down the line, so the "seasoned" argument doesn't hold water. I don't think there was a single team in the Conference that wasn't starting a slew of freshmen and sophomores.

Elon has the potential to be good, but I certainly don't put them up there with Wofford. Wofford has made playoffs appareances and won playoff games, not to mentioned shelacked Elon last season in their building.

Yea, and Elon shelacked them pretty good the year before at their place, so I guess it evens out. Ever wonder how many are in a slew? You are right though, they were kind of ugly to us last year.:(

CrackerRiley
July 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Who did Moore vote for last year? Either Wofford or Elon?

Seven Would Be Nice
July 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I posted these stats on the GSU board.. granted they don't include El Cit, WCU, Samford, or Chat... but do we really need to?

2006:
W Elon 45-21
W Furman 40-7
W Wofford 14-7
W GSU - 27-20 Double OT

2007:
L Wofford 42-31
W Elon 49-32
L Georgia Southern 38-35 (at the rock)
W Furman 34-27

2008:
W Furman 26-14
W Wofford 70-24
W Georgia Southern 37-36 (came down to the last few plays)
W Elon 24-16

Moore Picked GSU because we are consitantly a good match up for him. These are the "post-option" days of GSU.. because we all know how the option days matched up.xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I

Wofford will give us a tough time in the Burg, but we have exchanged blowouts while away at each other's houses for three years now and we're due.

Did I read that right? "exchanged blowouts?" In 2007 you beat us by 11 (10 had we not missed the PAT). we had like 4 turnovers in that game. You were lucky we shot ourselves in the foot so many times. Had we not we would have won that game comfortably.xnodx

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yea, and Elon shelacked them pretty good the year before at their place, so I guess it evens out. Ever wonder how many are in a slew? You are right though, they were kind of ugly to us last year.:(

you did not "shelack us pretty good". 35 points> 11 points. on the top of my head this is how it went. Elon goes up 14, Wofford puts up 2 tds and misses the tying extra point. for the rest of the game Elon took advantage of every mistake Wofford made. every time Wofford entered elon territory they some how messed it up via turnover.

our 35 point win was 10x more dominate than your "blow out" against us. And "we exchanged blowouts the last couple of years" is no excuse to say one will win.

biggie
July 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Moore Picked GSU because we are consitantly a good match up for him. These are the "post-option" days of GSU.. because we all know how the option days matched up.xthumbsupx
I could see based on the last couple years why JM picked GSU as #1. But still surprised me that he did with GSU losing/changing as much as they did this offseason. Though Elon/Wofford had about the same amount of changes/losses I guess.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Who did Moore vote for last year? Either Wofford or Elon?

I believe it was Elon

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
So on how many ballots was UTC not last...? One or two...?

2. Wofford 53
3. Elon 51
4. Furman 40
6t. The Citadel 26
6t. Samford 26
8. Western Carolina 15
9. Chattanooga 10

elon77
July 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Did I read that right? "exchanged blowouts?" In 2007 you beat us by 11 (10 had we not missed the PAT). we had like 4 turnovers in that game. You were lucky we shot ourselves in the foot so many times. Had we not we would have won that game comfortably.xnodx

If a Terrier looked like a Lab they wouldn't be so ugly, if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt, and if you hadn't scored so many points on us last year the score would have been closer, There always seems to be ifs. I don't seem to remember any foot injuries in the game at your place.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
If a Terrier looked like a Lab they wouldn't be so ugly, if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt, and if you hadn't scored so many points on us last year the score would have been closer, There always seems to be ifs. I don't seem to remember any foot injuries in the game at your place.

1)I never said "if" in the post

2) my point was you didn't blow us out, 11 points has never been considered a blowout (unless your playing baseball or soccer), and that you were lucky to beat us by that much or at all at that. We, however, beat the living (insert word here) out of you with a 35 point win which is always considered a blowout in pretty much any sport.

OL FU
July 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
So on how many ballots was UTC not last...? One or two...?

2. Wofford 53
3. Elon 51
4. Furman 40
6t. The Citadel 26
6t. Samford 26
8. Western Carolina 15
9. Chattanooga 10

Nine votes looks like one

gophoenix
July 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Dude, where in God's name have you been? Always played App tight? Yes, the last two years we have, but other than that, come on. Get real. Before 2006, we hadn't played App tight since the 60s and 70s. Heck, and if you did sit through those games with Seagraves and Hamilton running the show... you'd never say something the blatantly wrong.

No one is discounting us. And all this stuff doesn't matter. Moore would have voted for App if he could, end of story. And we've yet to put together a full season without falling apart since 2000.

tribe_pride
July 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM

This sounds like how some NY Mets fans described the Mets this year except replace offense with pitching and defense with batters. We see what that has done for them

GSUhooligan
July 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
SoCon Coaches Tab ASU as Favorite

Holy Crap! Next thing you're gonna tell me is tomorrow is Tuesday xeekx

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM

By slew I mean a lot. I'm from south Georgia. We say such things.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Dude, where in God's name have you been? Always played App tight? Yes, the last two years we have, but other than that, come on. Get real. Before 2006, we hadn't played App tight since the 60s and 70s. Heck, and if you did sit through those games with Seagraves and Hamilton running the show... you'd never say something the blatantly wrong.

No one is discounting us. And all this stuff doesn't matter. Moore would have voted for App if he could, end of story. And we've yet to put together a full season without falling apart since 2000.

I miss the Hamilton days :)

millwoga1
July 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM

If you could win your last game of the season you could make the playoffs

BossEagle
July 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
By slew I mean a lot. I'm from south Georgia. We say such thangs.

I went ahead and fixed that for ya.xthumbsupx

elon77
July 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If you could win your last game of the season you could make the playoffs

We know, we know.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Whoever asked who Moore (apparently) picked to finish first last year, the answer is Elon. App. got every first place vote but one and Elon got the last one. I wish they'd show all of the ballots even if they do not show the names that go with them. I bet there was a very large amount of variance with every team other than Chatty and ASU.

I honestly don't think it's outlandish to call GSU to finish second. Between playing close to 30 true freshmen, losing to the three best teams in the SoCon by a combined total of four points, having one of the top 5 worst turnover marigins in the FCS, tons of sacks given up, finishing 6-5 isn't half bad. Those problems should all be gone, and GSU will be a force, I am here to tell you that right now.

smallcollegefbfan
July 28th, 2009, 07:35 AM
2009 SoCon Football Preseason Media Poll

1. Appalachian State (46) 429
2. Elon (1) 360
3. Wofford 326
4. Georgia Southern (1) 275
5. Furman 260
6. Samford 194
7. The Citadel 165
8. Western Carolina 94