PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League discusses football scholarships

Go...gate
July 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting this!

danefan
July 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
not counting aid awarded to football players in Title IX calculation is a total sham IMO. I'm surprised the DOE allows them to get away with that.

No matter what anyone says, that aid is awarded based on athletic ability to males only. How that does not need to be offset by female components is beyond me.

Wildcat80
July 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
For the sake of Northeast football I hope the PL goes with Fordham!

RichH2
July 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
One would certainly hope that the PL will move forward but her statement leaves much to be desired. I surely do not get a n optimistic feeling for timely action when the ED says that starting merit aid in 2012 will be Ok as Fordham wont be too far ahead. HUH! Asinine statement and a simply ridiculous conclusion. What about the rest of the FCS? The Ivies? The fact that we may keep pace with the Pioneer schools does not fill me with joy.
Economic concerms and Title IX issues must be dealt with so preparation time is required more for some schools than others BUT if we approve merit aid no later than 12/10 why delay to 2012?xmadx

CSN Log
July 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
07-21-2009 03:29 PM

Patriot League discusses football scholarships

Fordham has declared its intent to offer athletics scholarships for football student-athletes beginning in 2010, and the Patriot League now will grapple with whether to allow its member institutions to follow suit.

The league’s presidents will decide by December 31, 2010, what direction to take.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/07/21/patriot-league-discusses-football-schola?blog=2#more5223)

RichH2
July 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
My 1st try , the last 2 have been blocked or deleted. Do not know why. If it was the inclusion of the statement, I'm leaving it out. If your interested go to ncaa.org.

The issue while perhaps playing on other's nerves a bit is important to us. The statement as I read it is an accurate summary of issues and how the PL has proceeded in the past but overall rather dashes any hopes of merit aid in even the near future.

Earliest would be for incoming class of 2012

Go...gate
July 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM
Agree with Rich. Please leave the thread. Other schools and conferences have issues which are uniquely important to them - this one, in all candor, may make or break the Patriot League as a truly competitive FCS conference.

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Not sure where the talk of this post having problems is...?

Either way, glad to see there is more discussion of scholarships in the Patriot League for football. I would be interested to see how quickly these schools are able to compete nationally and more importantly, the impact it had on the rest of their programs...

RichH2
July 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Terror ,do not know what happened but Admin seems to have restored your original thread and included mine and c 's from Hawaii in yours.

Am I wrong or does she seem to be giving the arguments from both sides of this issue.Known that GU and LC have monetary problems with merit aid . But she seems to anticipate if approved the same aid resolution as BBall, permission w no PL limits or minimums. Why then will it to take until 2012 to implement. Even if God forbid they wait until 12/10 to decide why not start for the 9/2011
class?

ngineer
July 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
not counting aid awarded to football players in Title IX calculation is a total sham IMO. I'm surprised the DOE allows them to get away with that.
No matter what anyone says, that aid is awarded based on athletic ability to males only. How that does not need to be offset by female components is beyond me.

Totally agree. Sounds like some accounting shell game...xsmhx

ngineer
July 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Until the League goes to scholarships, all this talk about wanting to challenge for a national championship is crap. Can't win a prize fight with one arm tied behind your back.

CFBfan
July 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
how do you view this??
Patriot League executive director Carolyn Femovich sounded a cautionary tone on the move by Fordham University into full scholarship football, telling the NCAA News that the league would vote on the matter by the 2012 recruiting cycle.

"We just believe philosophically that it's important to treat student-athletes like other students with regard to financial aid," she said. "But the reality is all of our institutions have begun awarding scholarships in other sports, certainly in men's and women's basketball … We have evolved as a league to a position of athletics aid being permissive in all sports of an institution's choosing – except football.”

Femovich suggested that if a vote allowed scholarships, the league would not require a minimum but allow schools to proceed as they see fit. "I think if we went that direction, some might work to get up to 58 or 60 equivalencies, and others might say we'll do scholarships for key athletes and other individuals that might not have the need, but we'll do a combination, a hybrid model.”

"If we decide not to change our policy, then Fordham needs to know so they can look for a new home," Femovich said. "And we will need to begin exploring our options for other membership opportunities as well.”

jimbo65
July 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Seems to me she is a bit behind. Why the wait until the incoming class of 2012. What changes between now & then, with a possible exception of an economic upturn. Have the vote & be done with it. If the vote is no, proceed status quo. Apparently the league lacks the fortitude to decide one way or the other. At least Fordham decided. If it was a bad decision, which IMO, it was not, we will live with the consequences or reap the benefits. There is no doubt in my mind that given schollies, Lehigh, Colgate & LaFayette can compete with the best FCS teams. Holy Cross has the potential but until they are freed from the "Fr. Brooks" approach, they will not go schollie.

Not to single out Gtown, but if they chose to remain as they are now, how would they compete with a Lehigh, Colgate or LaFayette with schollies. Realistically, they can't compete now or there is little doubt of the outcome before the game is played.

The longer the PL defers schollies, the further they fall behind in FCS.

ngineer
July 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Fair amount of discussion on this over on the News Feeds board as well.

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Why does this thread keep getting moved?

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
What is this doing in the FCS and the Pros section?

Mod33
July 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
It has been moved back to FCS News Feeds.

How it landed in FCS and the Pros is beyond anyone's imagination.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm going to be posting about this today - clarifying Title IX and a lot of other stuff. It's clear Ms. Femovich has given us a lot to contemplate.

RichH2
July 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Look forward to a clear explanation, DFW has presented some very good examples over on Cross,

Have to sign out , I hope this thread stays here for a while

Before I go I wonder where all the other original posts went?

LFN , besides $$$ issue for some, how do you feel that delay until 2012 will impact on PL competitiveness OOC

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
If the Patriot League does bring on scholarships - how quickly will see games vs FBS (or will we not?) and will they slowly increase scholarships over a few year period so we do not see mass addition of scholarships?

RichH2
July 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Dont forget most already carry from 40 to 55 kids on aid so going to merit aid unless you increase # of scholarships will be a gradual turnover

ngineer
July 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
We're not looking, at the moment, to 'add' anything, just to give the money on a 'merit-based' as opposed to 'need-based' decision. If going the merit route effects how Title IX applies, then I see where that can have a huge impact. I Lehigh's case, with 54 or so equivalencies, that would require Lehigh to find $ for 54 scholarships for women's sports, if under the current formula, the grants in aid for football do not count against the Title IX requirements. That is how the PL has been able to use merit aid for the smaller sports and olympic sports since there are usually a women's equivalent sport or, as in the case of wrestling, a small enough roster that the ability to make up the difference is doable.

Go...gate
November 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Wonder how Colgate's new Prexy will deal with this?

colorless raider
November 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
The BOT is for scholarships so it's safe to say the President will go along.:)