PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina Player Dies During Off-Season Workouts

Gringer1
July 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ja'Quayvin Smalls, a junior defensive back passed away suddenly at voluntary workouts. This is just one of those things you can't expect and can't give reason to. My heart goes out to the family.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070809aae.html

ngineer
July 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Wow. Tough to hear that. Every year at various levels, a player or two die during or after workouts or practice. Frequently it is related to some congenital defect in the heart or pulmonary system since there is a lot more monitoring of fluid intake, etc. than in years past. Condolences to the WCU family.

catamount man
July 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Our SID Daniel Hooker sent me some info online a few minutes ago and I am still floored. God bless his family, friends, teammates, and coaches.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
That is a tragedy. I just got an email and I can't believe it. Truly a sad day. Deepest prayers and sympathy to his family, teammates, friends, and coaches.

The Cats
July 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
My prayers to his family.

UNHWildCats
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Condolences to his family and the entire Western Carolina family.

RichH2
July 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
All our prayers to his family and WCU

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 8th, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's terrible. xsmhx :(

GoBlueHens83
July 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
This is such a shame. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and teammates.

CSN Log
July 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM
07-08-2009 08:29 PM

Western Carolina Player Dies During Off-Season Workouts

Junior transfer collapsed during Wednesday’s voluntary conditioning session

Western Carolina junior football player Ja’Quayvin Smalls of Mount Pleasant, S.C., died unexpectedly Wednesday evening at Harris Regional Hospital in Sylva after collapsing during conditioning drills as a part of voluntary off-season workouts.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/07/08/western-carolina-player-dies-during-off?blog=2#more5175)

furman94
July 9th, 2009, 07:01 AM
May God bless his family and the entire WCU program. The Paladin Nation's thoughts and prayers are with you.

AtlantaMountaineer
July 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Condolences from the App Nation to his family and the WCU program.

Yosef84
July 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Truly a tragedy when young man in his prime passes like this. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, teammates and the coaching staff.

Cobblestone
July 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
My God what a tragedy. My prayers go out to his parents and family members, as well as to his coaches and teammates.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Condolences to the Western Carolina football family on the passing of his this young man.

Is there any further word from Cullowhee on the cause?

GaSouthern
July 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Prayers go out to his family and Cat Nation :(

phoenixphanatic21
July 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think I can speak for all of Elon when I say our thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family, the football team and all of Western Carolina.

CrackerRiley
July 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
What a shame. I hate to hear about these tragedies.

g-webb1994
July 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090709/SPORTS/90708076

Sad...my prayers to his family.:(

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
:( xsmhx

I wonder if more people exerted themselves the way athletes do today if we wouldn't see more people having sudden medical emergencies like this. I'm not saying people shouldn't work out, but the article said he was a beast in the weight room. I think there are probably many people out there that might have medical issues if they worked out strenuously like this.

WCU LawCat
July 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Very sad day in Cullowhee.

walliver
July 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
:( xsmhx

I wonder if more people exerted themselves the way athletes do today if we wouldn't see more people having sudden medical emergencies like this. I'm not saying people shouldn't work out, but the article said he was a beast in the weight room. I think there are probably many people out there that might have medical issues if they worked out strenuously like this.

In many cases, athletes are not as "healthy" as most people assume. Pushing the body beyond its usual limits does produce heart problems and other medical complications. Most likely, however, this player had some unknown heart problem.

It's a sad thing and my prayers go out to his family.

catamount man
July 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sad day indeed. still in shock.

The Cats
July 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Team met with university counselors, coaches on Thursday evening on-campus

July 9, 2009

Cullowhee, N.C. - The Western Carolina Catamount football family met Thursday, July 9, as it continued to cope with the sudden loss of Ja'Quayvin Smalls. The junior defensive back collapsed during a voluntary workout session on Wednesday evening and passed away at the Harris Regional Hospital in Sylva.

The incident occurred during what was the first workout for the incoming players who joined the squad at Tuesday's opening of WCU's second session of summer school. Western Carolina canceled all remaining voluntary workout sessions scheduled for both Thursday and Friday, with plans to resume next week.

"Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to the Smalls family as they suffer the loss of a loved one," said WCU head coach Dennis Wagner in a statement released Thursday evening. "It is certainly a sad day in Catamount athletics. Although the time we were able to spend with Ja'Quayvin here on campus was far too brief, we had already built a relationship with him and his family through the recruiting process. We got to know what a wonderful young man that he was. We are going to miss him dearly."

University Chancellor John W. Bardo, the coaching staff, and members of the university student support and counseling centers met with the team for slightly more than an hour Thursday evening in the first of a series of planned gatherings.

"Right now we are concerned with comforting the Smalls family and helping them get Ja'Quayvin back to the Charleston area," Wagner said. "And we are concerned for our players, because they, too, suffered a loss in a teammate. Some of our players were there when it happened, and we are here for them to answer questions and to help get them through this. They are a strong group of guys and they all care for each other and will find a way to regroup in this trying time."

Wagner and his coaching staff spent the majority of the day assisting members of the Smalls family, who arrived in Sylva just before noon on Thursday, while also tending to the student-athletes left stunned by Wednesday's events.

"Any loss of life is a tragedy, but it is especially tragic when someone is taken from us at such a young age," said Chip Smith, WCU director of athletics, in a statement released late Wednesday evening. "Our hearts and prayers are with the family and friends of Ja'Quayvin, and with his coaches and teammates."

Smalls, who transferred to WCU from Georgia Military College and enrolled in the second session of summer school, complained of cramps during running drills as a part of Wednesday night's workout session on the turf at E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field. He removed himself from the exercise and, while being treated, quit breathing. At that point, athletic training personnel administered CPR until emergency medical personnel from WestCare arrived at the stadium.

A native of Mount Pleasant, S.C., Smalls was transported to Harris Hospital, where he died at approximately 7:30 p.m.

"The outpouring of support that we have experienced from fellow Southern Conference member institutions and schools across the country has been tremendous," Wagner concluded on Thursday evening. "Our football family greatly appreciates the heart-felt condolences through E-mails and phone calls that we have received all day. We ask that you continue to keep the Smalls family and our football team in your thoughts and prayers."

More information, including memorial and funeral services, will be provided as soon as it is made available.

catamount man
July 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Latest from catamountsports.com

The funeral services celebrating the life of Ja'Quayvin Ja'Quar Smalls of Mount Pleasant, S.C., will be held on Monday, July 13, 2009 at Noon in the East Cooper Baptist Church (361 Egypt Road, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464). He will be laid to rest in Long Point Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery (1857 Snowden Road, Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464) with Rev. Sidney Melvin, Eulogist.

Visitation with family will be from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Long Point Missionary Baptist Church. There will be no viewing at the funeral home.

RIP Ja'quavian. :(:(:(