PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: SWAC to return to 9-game mandate

thederisoreport
June 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
06-19-2009 03:29 PM

TheDerisoReport.com has confirmed that a release is pending that announces a return to the 9-game conference schedule for Southwestern Athletic Conference football in 2010.We’ll return this afternoon with exclusive comments from SWAC Commissioner Duer Sharp.UPDATE:The nine-game conference schedule will be in place for a minimum of four years through at least the 2013 football season. [...]http://feeds2.feedburner.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~4/CpMglZq__ZI

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~3/CpMglZq__ZI/)

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
These quotes say it all...great job, Nick!

“I think in the end, they were all of one voice,” Sharp said. “Even some of the bigger schools who shouldn’t have a problem getting those games were saying they would go back for the betterment of the conference.”

“When I was at Grambling, people were always calling you wanting to play,” Sharp said. “Grambling doesn’t have to solicit games, but there are those schools who do. For those who don’t have the name of a Grambling or Jackson State or Southern, it hurts their ability to get those games. When you went to the 7-game mandate, you went with the hopes they would play up, to get some revenue games. It just never worked out that way.”

My question for your next mailbag - are there any OOC match-ups already scheduled impacted by this? Will the SWAC work around the dates presently scheduled by the schools for OOC, since the SWAC itself did not give their school a full slate for 2010-13?

McNeeserocket
June 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
My question for your next mailbag - are there any OOC match-ups already scheduled impacted by this? Will the SWAC work around the dates presently scheduled by the schools for OOC, since the SWAC itself did not give their school a full slate for 2010-13?

I sure hope it does not mess up the Southern - McNeese game scheduled for 2010 at Cowboy Stadium. McNeese fans sure want this game to happen and have been waiting since 2005 when Hurricane Katrina caused the cancelation of this game that had been originally scheduled as a return game for the one that McNeese played in 2004 at Southern as part one of a home and home contract.

McNeese, Southern and Louisiana needs this game to take place to end all of the stupid negative talk that has gone on too long.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I sure hope it does not mess up the Southern - McNeese game scheduled for 2010 at Cowboy Stadium. McNeese fans sure want this game to happen and have been waiting since 2005 when Hurricane Katrina caused the cancelation of this game that had been originally scheduled as a return game for the one that McNeese played in 2004 at Southern as part one of a home and home contract.

McNeese, Southern and Louisiana needs this game to take place to end all of the stupid negative talk that has gone on too long.

Nothing to worry about. xthumbsupx Tenn St and McNeese are SU's OC opponents next season.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Nothing to worry about. xthumbsupx Tenn St and McNeese are SU's OC opponents next season.

Is it going to be a blow to Southern that they do not have an FBS game? The economic situation in Louisiana is only getting worse. I guess this will put more pressure on basketball to go get those guarantee games?

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Is it going to be a blow to Southern that they do not have an FBS game? The economic situation in Louisiana is only getting worse. I guess this will put more pressure on basketball to go get those guarantee games?

The Swac put a cap on the amount of guarantee basketball games xthumbsupx . SU makes more than enough money @ home games to be fine. SU just has very bad management in the athletic department right now.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The Swac put a cap on the amount of guarantee basketball games xthumbsupx . SU makes more than enough money @ home games to be fine. SU just has very bad management in the athletic department right now.

I did not read that in the SWAC meetings recap. When did that fly?

Does this mean we'll see more SWAC games against sub-Div I teams, as was the case with football when more OOC flexibility was put into place?

I would hope the SWAC would put a limit on those. Most leagues do (the SLC is dropping from four this year to three next and two the following).

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 07:24 AM
Another article...and Mr. Perkins, if a nine-game schedule declares a definitive champion, why is there a need for a SWAC championship game...?

Perkins, who serves as a liaison between conference athletic directors and its football coaches, said when the athletic directors voted on the issue on the final day of the SWAC meetings June 5 in Birmingham, Ala., he didn’t prefer one system over the other. He still feels that way, but can say a nine-game schedule allows for a more definitive conference champion.

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2009/06/20/sports/sports2.txt