PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Hail-Mary Passes in Delaware

CSN-info
June 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
06-03-2009 12:44 PM

The CSN Way: Hail-Mary Passes in Delaware

By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/football/images/fb09-uddsupressconfgroup.jpghttp://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPGFebruary 24th, 2009 saw Delaware governor Jack Markell announce a long-awaited event for the first state: the scheduling of a football game between the two Division I schools in the First State, the University of Delaware and Delaware State University. “This is a significant day for these two outstanding institutions,” said Markell on that day. “And we certainly cannot forget the sports fans in Delaware who are big winners in this as well.”

Governor Markell must have known that down the road he would make another decision that would be a “significant day” for these institutions and the “sports fans of Delaware”, though in a much different way. It would be the day that Markell offered gambling on professional sporting events as a way to close a huge hole in the state budget for the 2010 fiscal year.

While the sports betting proposal for Delaware would not involve gambling on the outcome of Blue Hens or Hornets games, Markell is certainly making a big gamble concerning those schools – that the NCAA will not ban the Delaware or Delaware State hosting postseason competition, including FCS playoff games, over the issue. And it’s far from certain that Markell’s hail-mary pass will help Delaware, Delaware State, or the sports fans of Delaware.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/06/03/the-csn-way-hail-mary-passes-in-delaware?blog=5#more5013)

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, a darn shame all around. Rules must be enforced and evenly.

Good article.

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Strange, no UD reaction after their fans were so on top of anything about this before.

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Strange, no UD reaction after their fans were so on top of anything about this before.

Hasn't everything that could have been said already happened in the other thread?

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hasn't everything that could have been said already happened in the other thread?This is the only thread on this article and it raises points not covered in other threads here.

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I thought it seemed pretty much the same from the huge thread about Delaware's gambling decision.

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I thought it seemed pretty much the same from the huge thread about Delaware's gambling decision.The main point I found interesting was that Delaware might be doing this gambling thing and not even make enough money with it. So this threat to playoff games might just be a losing affair for the state.
their opinion that it reached the state constitutional requirement that it “raises money for the state” and thus can be considered a “lottery” seems threadbare – and ignores the fact that the lottery in 1976 was shut down for the very reason that it wasn’t a “lottery” and the state was poised to lose millions...
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/06/03/the-csn-way-hail-mary-passes-in-delaware?blog=5#more5013

Possibly lose money and playoff games? xeyebrowx

93henfan
June 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Honestly, why react when it's a no-win situation? Most Delaware fans on this board have learned to avoid attempting a rational discussion with certain posters.

Rather it be real or shtick, certain posters seem to enjoy getting a rise out of Delaware fans by continually berating their fandom, their state, their opinions, their team and its history, etc. A reaction normally earns a strike, a suspension, a ban, a smart remark, or deletion of their post. Why risk it?

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
So does this measure carry a duel edge, not serving the purpose of funding Delaware government AND nixing the hosting of NCAA events? From this article it appears there is a chance that it does.

93henfan
June 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM
It's certainly not going to close the budget deficit on its own and was never intended to. The projected deficit is ~$800M and the measure is projected to generate less than $100M per year.

It's up to the NCAA to decide if it wants to ban Delaware and Montana teams from the playoffs for sports betting. There's nothing anyone on this board can do about that.

Certainly, $100M of additional revenue is far more important to the state than keeping me and 11,000 other UD season ticket holders happy about our playoff venues.

So to answer your question above, there's no "chance" about it. The measure certainly won't fully erase the state deficit.

Regarding playoff bans, who knows what the NCAA will do? Their past shows that they are too inconsistent for anyone to predict what they'll do in the future.

On a logical basis, a home playoff ban in either Montana or Delaware simply makes no sense. Neither state will allow bets on games played by teams from its respective states. The ban would only punish the schools and athletes, who have no relationship to the matter.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
It's certainly not going to close the budget deficit on its own and was never intended to. The projected deficit is ~$800M and the measure is projected to generate less than $100M per year.Never said it would "erase the budget deficit" but realistically though, as the article states, $100M per year might not be even close. And it isn't in Montana either. Though Montana and Delaware are very different applications of gambling, aren't the schools similar in being funded by the state? Therefore the state and schools have a "relationship to the matter."

93henfan
June 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Wow, one of my posts magically disappeared. I have multiple reps for post N/A. It must have been good. xlolx

It violated no terms of service and I was given no explanation. Sweet!

My prediction in that post was correct, btw. :p

Bill Hanson
June 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Wow, one of my posts magically disappeared. I have multiple reps for post N/A. It must have been good. xlolx

It violated no terms of service and I was given no explanation. Sweet!

My prediction in that post was correct, btw. :p

EDIT:

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
It's certainly not going to close the budget deficit on its own and was never intended to. The projected deficit is ~$800M and the measure is projected to generate less than $100M per year.

Never said it would "erase the budget deficit" but realistically though, as the article states, $100M per year might not be even close. And it isn't in Montana either. Though Montana and Delaware are very different applications of gambling, aren't the schools similar in being funded by the state? Therefore the state and schools have a "relationship to the matter."

If it was never intended to narrow the $800M deficit significantly, why on earth would Markell be considering this? Because morally speaking Delawareans love to bet on the NFL? Trying to claim that this isn't about the budget deficit strains credulity.

What if it made $3 million only per year, like some of the detractors of the plan claim? What if it lost money, like last time?

Ivytalk
June 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Markell's balls are in a crack. No way that sports betting will come close to balancing the budget -- not even close, especially during a recession. And the state employees -- a huge political constituency in tiny Delaware -- are in open revolt about a threatened 8% pay cut. The money has to come from somewhere, and income tax rates are already being jacked up. Given the state law requiring a balanced budget, we'll have the [sorry-assed] answer by June 30, when our General ASSembly adjourns for the year. Maybe a "temporary" sales tax? The Hail Mary will fall woefully incomplete, or be returned for a pick six.xnonono2x