PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Legend Mouse Davis Retires From Portland State

Casey_Orourke
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Mouse Davis, innovator of the Run and Shoot offensive announced his retirement as offensive coordinator. Mouse, 75 years young, will be missed around the Park Blocks and the PSU program.

Mouse Davis retires as Portland State football offensive coordinator (http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2009/06/mouse_davis_retires_as_portlan.html)

crossfire07
June 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I like the word "retirement" better than quitting. he is too smart of a man to be without a job unless he does not want one. Good Luck Mouse.

Casey_Orourke
June 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
I like the word "retirement" better than quitting. he is too smart of a man to be without a job unless he does not want one. Good Luck Mouse.

I understand that Mouse wants to spend some time with his new wife and play some golf. It is also speculated that his wife wants to go someplace that has warm winters.

crossfire07
June 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
It is also speculated that his wife wants to go someplace that has warm winters.

our winters are pretty mild and I would welcome him as long as he does not seek a job with someone else in the Southland xnonox xlolx

Native
June 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Mouse Davis, innovator of the Run and Shoot offensive announced his retirement as offensive coordinator. Mouse, 75 years young, will be missed around the Park Blocks and the PSU program.

Mouse Davis retires as Portland State football offensive coordinator (http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2009/06/mouse_davis_retires_as_portlan.html)

My condolences. Good luck in finding a worthy replacement!

blackcaesar3k5
June 2nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
I thought Mouse Davis recently took head coaching job in newUSFL....

CSN Log
June 2nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
06-02-2009 07:02 AM

Coaching Legend Mouse Davis Retires From Portland State

Although not totally unexpected, the Portland State football program suffered a blow today when offensive coordinator Mouse Davis stepped down from his position, ending a long-time affiliation with Head Coach Jerry Glanville and the Viking program.

Davis, who has spent 50+ years in the football coaching ranks, created his legend at Portland State in the late 1970s with the Run-and-Shoot offense and his famous quarterbacks, June Jones and Neil Lomax.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/06/02/coaching-legend-mouse-davis-retires-from-1?blog=2#more5022)

PSUVikings
June 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Good luck to Mouse!

I'm hoping we find an OC who has a different approach overall, cause from my experience, I know you cannot just plug in some understudy for the Run and Shoot and expect success.

laxVik
June 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I find the run-n-shoot to be archaic like the wisbone or drop kick. I think a "new" approach would be a good thing.

Hoyadestroya85
June 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
I find the run-n-shoot to be archaic like the wisbone or drop kick. I think a "new" approach would be a good thing.

I completely disagree.. It's the perfect offense for FCS football because teams rarely have the same speed on defense as they do on offense especially rushing at the edges. Mouse could turn another team into a contender.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think Mouse is looking for a new job... I think he's hanging it up for good at 78 and enjoying a well-earned retirement. xthumbsupx

I happen to agree - the run-n-shoot should stay at PSU.

GOKATS
June 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds to me like part of the reason for Mouse stepping down was a change in direction by Glanville.

"To be very honest, I think he's panicked a little bit as far as how we've done things," he said of Glanville. "And panic is not always bad. Sometimes that's good, if it forces him to do what he wants to do. And he may want to turn to a little different stroke. Who knows? I've just tried to support him."

"I came (to PSU) under the pretense of having the offense. And I've had the offense. Now, if I'm not going to have the offense, then there's no sense in continuing with that. And Jerry is still the head coach, no matter how you cut that, so that's where we are."

bpcats
June 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Glanville probably is facing a little pressure to improve on their win total. To be fair to Coach Davis, the first year their players were recruited to play the run and shoot, the next year they are start bringing in their own players but they are young, the third year their quarterbacks and defense have a tough go. I thought they were probably a year or two away from making some noise. Their level of incoming recruits are very impressive.

With the way the team is now at this moment, my guess is that Glanville wants to balance out the offense a little bit more with the running game.

Mouse has been an innovator of the game and teams like SMU, Hawaii, Texas Tech, Tulsa will carry on his tradition of attacking offenses.

coover
June 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think Mouse is looking for a new job...

I do agree with you on this. It certainly is time to retire...

But warmer winters for the wife? Hummm ... does Mouse have a good relationship with Tim Walsh?