PDA

View Full Version : UTSA football progress report

CSN Log
May 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
05-31-2009 08:36 AM

UTSA football progress report

Month 2
Having started in April, Roadrunners coach Larry Coker and his three assistants completed their first official recruiting efforts this month, cramming in four weeks of campus visits throughout San Antonio and the state. Though they weren’t permitted to make face-to-face contact with the players, they were still able to extend a handful of scholarship offers, even landing the first three commitments earlier this week. Coker believes it’s the first step on a journey that could carry the Roadrunners, who doesn’t kickoff until 2011, into the Division I-A ranks by 2014.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/31/utsa-football-progress-report?blog=2#more5005)

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM
They've really moved fast in San Antonio. They are on the record with wanting to be in the SLC in '13, but one of the articles states that they are going to go FBS in '14.

I have a feeling a few SLC schools will be on their slate over the first few years, but that's it - the Roadrunners will be up and running at FBS as soon as time allows. And they will possibly leave the Bobcats in their dust...

slycat
May 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM
They've really moved fast in San Antonio. They are on the record with wanting to be in the SLC in '13, but one of the articles states that they are going to go FBS in '14.

I have a feeling a few SLC schools will be on their slate over the first few years, but that's it - the Roadrunners will be up and running at FBS as soon as time allows. And they will possibly leave the Bobcats in their dust...

Another needless dig.....

It helps UTSA having the San Antonio market when searching for a conference.

How are SHSU's FBS plans working out? Are they still trying to keep up with Texas State?

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Another needless dig.....

It's a legitimate issue, as if the UTSA program is able to get to FBS and does so without Texas State University - San Marcos, it could negatively impact your program. It would cripple sponsorship dollars and potential outside revenue.

It helps UTSA having the San Antonio market when searching for a conference.

It sure does. And that is a market that your institution was hoping to count on. Can the Austin-San Antonio "metroplex" (if you want to call it that), support three FBS programs? I'm not really sure they could.

The Houston area has not supported two at all and the DFW area has not supported the three they have. Sure, those are professional sports cities - but what happens if San Antonio ever got the NFL? And there's no question that the Longhorns command the kind of attention, support and more that several professional sports would in Austin (and beyond).

How are SHSU's FBS plans working out? Are they still trying to keep up with Texas State?

Academically, we already toe-and-toe, if not ahead of our sister institution in San Marcos - pending on what ranking systems you look at. That is a large part of the equation, as I do not believe our President would want to fall behind in that category, before aiding athletics.

Athletically, I think we're waiting to see what happens with the moratorium and keeping tabs on your program. If your program pulls a Florida A&M, we won't be looking at making the jump.

Currently, efforts in the last year have been made to increase the funding of our program through student fees (something that you guys did) as well as establish some higher monetary endowments (already $1M for baseball given by Don Sanders and a similar endowment is being worked on for men's basketball).

We'll see, but the discussions are going on behind the scenes.

slycat
May 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
It will be very interesting to see what happens to the SLC conference in the next 5-10 years. There could be a lot of changes or nothing at all. A lot will rely on conference shake ups in the FBS.

UTSA has the best shot at a CUSA, WAC, or Sunbelt bid. If New Orleans drops sports then another spot opens up.

I'm sure UNT would like to have UTSA and Texas State added.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
It will be very interesting to see what happens to the SLC conference in the next 5-10 years. There could be a lot of changes or nothing at all. A lot will rely on conference shake ups in the FBS.

No question.

UTSA has the best shot at a CUSA, WAC, or Sunbelt bid. If New Orleans drops sports then another spot opens up.

Denver is set to leave the league. The league does not seem to be pushing the issue, but if they do - the league is 12 and 10. If a drop of sports occurred in the Crescent City - it would be 11 and 10.

I do not see the league going to 13 again - so travel partners can reign supreme in this era of economic stability. If you have 12, then the league could be "whole" as far as travel partners are concerned.

I'm sure UNT would like to have UTSA and Texas State added.

Lest we forget that North Texas was in the same group who wanted neither of those two schools in the Southland Conference (particularly then-SWT and the others who were making the move up from Division I in the early to mid 1980s).

That whole "group" is pretty much in the SBC now. Would they really want to align themselves with those schools? They are all trying to advance themselves - North Texas in particular, for C-USA, after turning down a WAC invite.

slycat
May 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
No question.

Denver is set to leave the league. The league does not seem to be pushing the issue, but if they do - the league is 12 and 10. If a drop of sports occurred in the Crescent City - it would be 11 and 10.

I do not see the league going to 13 again - so travel partners can reign supreme in this era of economic stability. If you have 12, then the league could be "whole" as far as travel partners are concerned.

Lest we forget that North Texas was in the same group who wanted neither of those two schools in the Southland Conference (particularly then-SWT and the others who were making the move up from Division I in the early to mid 1980s).

That whole "group" is pretty much in the SBC now. Would they really want to align themselves with those schools? They are all trying to advance themselves - North Texas in particular, for C-USA, after turning down a WAC invite.

Thats true. I was not following FCS back then.

But now aside from perhaps school officals and older fans, i think things may have changed. UNT is looking worse and worse each season and need some teams to call rivals. I think it would spark school interest if Texas schools were added.

That being said the Sunbelt is tired of being know as a crappy conference and flooding with FCS jumpers will do nothing but continue to make it look like a new conference. But the Sunbelt will also need to fill the gaps to make it a 12 member conference, so its a very touchy situation for the conference as a whole.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
But now aside from perhaps school officals and older fans, i think things may have changed. UNT is looking worse and worse each season and need some teams to call rivals. I think it would spark school interest if Texas schools were added.

I'm curious to hear from a North Texas fan about their thoughts on that subject. They've had series in other sports with SMU and UT-Arlington. I think their basketball rivalry with UTA has gone to the Mavs, but I believe the game has drawn well on both sides.

Future OOC games for NT include Rice (H, 2010) and a four-year home-and-home that starts with SMU in 2014.

That being said the Sunbelt is tired of being know as a crappy conference and flooding with FCS jumpers will do nothing but continue to make it look like a new conference. But the Sunbelt will also need to fill the gaps to make it a 12 member conference, so its a very touchy situation for the conference as a whole.

The SBC wants to contend with and surpass C-USA in all sports. That's their competition and anyone that follows the league regularly could tell you that the league is trying to progress in that direction.

It's a young league compared to the others, both in terms of the league itself and the teams they have as far as their stay at the I-A/FBS level. They feel they are at the same level, if not above of the MAC already. Heck, you go to the North Texas football board and the top post right now is MAC power ratings. What the heck?!?

MaximumBobcat
May 31st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Academically, we already toe-and-toe, if not ahead of our sister institution in San Marcos - pending on what ranking systems you look at. That is a large part of the equation, as I do not believe our President would want to fall behind in that category, before aiding athletics.

Academically? BS.

You still just goin on PhD numbers TT?

University of Phoenix > SHSU?

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM
Academically? BS. You still just goin on PhD numbers TT?

Well, if you guys were academically ahead of us - why aren't you flagship now? Why is the BoR so hesitant to grant flagship status to your institution? I am going off of the flagship study report, I am going off the Carnegie ratings.

I love how the academic factor is what you pull from this. As I said in response to you on KatFans, I know how UTSA football is taboo in the Bobcat fan camp.

You guys know it's the great threat that could end your chance of becoming a legitimate FBS program. It could also be the best thing to happen to you guys, since you could ride on their coattails.

Before you know it, it could be a race between Texas State University - San Marcos and the new Texas A&M - San Antonio for FBS!

MaximumBobcat
June 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
You know as well as I do the TSUS doesn't want a flagship.

Yes, the academic factor is what I pulled from your post because it was the most blatant exaggeration and I felt the need to correct you.

UTSA is indeed threatening and promising to TXST's FBS aspirations, but there's not much both of us can do but go along for the ride.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Larry Coker interview...

http://thegame.podbean.com/2009/06/16/larry-coker-with-sean-and-john-6-16-09/

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
This month's progress report...

With two more months until UTSA can reopen contacts with recruits on Sept. 1, Roadrunners coach Larry Coker turned his attention to more practical matters — purchasing a technology system, feeling out potential assistants, looking into scheduling options and his first summer camp.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_Football_Progress_Report_-_Month_3.html

For those seeking scheduling tidbits...

Georgia State, the new program in Atlanta, they’re a year ahead of us, but we’ll probably play them the first few years, a game in the Georgia Dome and they’ll be here in the Alamodome. Nothing we can confirm yet, but we have some contracts out. We’ve contacted some of the schools in the Southland (Conference) — I’m not going to be specific. Monterrey Tech called and was interested in playing us. No contracts out, but we have been in contact with them. I don’t know much about the structure in Mexico, but I do know they’ve got a good team. They’d probably come up here; we wouldn’t play them in Monterrey.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
UTSA gets attention on Rivals...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-coker070909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Here is what Coker said at SLC Media Days...

“It has been and will continue to be a challenge to build a program from the ground up. However, we have outstanding leadership at UTSA in our president, Dr. Ricardo Romo, and our athletics director, Lynn Hickey. Most of what we’re doing right now, besides beginning our recruiting processes, is fundraising. We have plans for a multi-million dollar athletics complex, so we’ve been out in the community speaking about what we’re building at UTSA.

“It is different building something from scratch. Everywhere I’ve been before, the program was already established, but it’s been a fun challenge. It’s neat in that you can do things how you want to. One of our assistant coaches, David Ross, has built two programs from scratch before, including Bacone College in Oklahoma. He’s been through this before, so he’s obviously been a valuable member of our staff.

“We’re going to build this the right way. We’ve visited with other start-up programs like Florida Atlantic and South Florida and I have good relationships with Howard Schnellenberger and Jim Leavitt. Those schools had a good plan in place and have been successful. We’ve modeled some of our plans after them.

“We also have a great recruiting base right on our front porch in San Antonio. There are some great high school football programs in that area and I think it’s been under recruited. We have a fantastic stadium in the Alamodome that is in a great location in downtown San Antonio. With all that and our great leadership, I really feel like UTSA can be a very successful program.”

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=204766722

ROWDYRUNNERS4LIFE!
July 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Nice finds Terror...

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Nice finds Terror...

Please join in - need help finding UTSA articles, always fun to track new programs. xthumbsupx

ROWDYRUNNERS4LIFE!
July 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Is there always this many douche bags on this forum?...No wonder why no one wants to join this forum...

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Article in NY Times...

SAN ANTONIO — Larry Coker usually begins speeches about his job as the football coach of the University of Texas at San Antonio with the same opening.

“We’ve got one football,” he tells the crowds, “and one football helmet.”

Those listening wait for the punch line, but there is none. That’s because Coker isn’t kidding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/sports/ncaafootball/29coker.html?_r=1