PDA

View Full Version : FBS foes vital for SoCon team budgets

CSN Log
May 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
05-31-2009 08:39 AM

FBS foes vital for SoCon team budgets

The nonconference portion of a Football Championship Subdivision team’s schedule is like a land of opportunity. It can provide riches or reward — ideally both.

In the case of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and its Southern Conference colleagues, each 11-game schedule in 2009 features eight SoCon games and three slots they can fill as they please. Seven of the nine teams will each play one guarantee game against a Football Bowl Subdivision opponent, and Furman and Wofford will play two such “money” games.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/31/fbs-foes-vital-for-socon-team-budgets?blog=2#more5007)

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
In their 12-game schedules in 2008, the nine SoCon teams played a total of nine guarantee games. In this year’s 11-game slates, 11 will be played.

This won't help the SoCon as far as putting as many teams into the top 25 and into the playoffs.

Wofford of all schools, who is normally in the mix for the postseason, will have the most difficult time with FBS games against USF and Wisconsin.

phillyAPP
June 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
This won't help the SoCon as far as putting as many teams into the top 25 and into the playoffs.

Wofford of all schools, who is normally in the mix for the postseason, will have the most difficult time with FBS games against USF and Wisconsin.

From the many years of APP playing FBS games I haven't seen a negative affect on playoff positioning.

Wofford is a good team with very good coaches. They know the games they have to win.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
From the many years of APP playing FBS games I haven't seen a negative affect on playoff positioning.

Wofford is a good team with very good coaches. They know the games they have to win.

Playing two FBS schools puts you at a disadvantage. Percentages say you will lose your FBS games. With an 11 game schedule, you have to do very well - especially if you have a sub-Div I team on the slate as so many do.