PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FCS NFL Draft Prospects

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Who do you have on your team that is getting legit NFL interest?

Here is an early list to start it off.

WR Armanti Edwards Appalachian State
CB Cortez Gilbert Appalachian State
CB Kevin Thornton Arkansas-Pine Bluff
OLB Larry Hart Central Arkansas
WR Andre' Roberts Citadel
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
OT Derek Hardman Eastern Kentucky
OT Andre Barbour Eastern Kentucky
TE Nate Overbay Eastern Washington
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
QB Curtis Pulley Florida A&M
QB John Skelton Fordham
OT James Williams Harvard
WR Matt Luft Harvard
QB Ryan Perrilloux Jacksonville State
OT Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts
SS Jeromy Miles Massachusetts
TE Clay Harbor Missouri State
WR Marc Mariani Montana
DE Austen Lane Murray State
TE Scott Sicko New Hampshire
FS Ronald "Terrell" Whitehead Norfolk State
OT Austin Howard Northern Iowa
DE James Ruffin Northern Iowa
OG Matthew McCracken Richmond
RB William Ford South Carolina State
DE Danny Batten South Dakota State
WR Bakari Grant UC Davis
WR Chris Carter UC Davis
CB Josh Morris Weber State
DE Kevin Linehan Weber State
CB Jarvis Richards Youngstown State
WR Donald Jones Youngstown State

Tribe4SF
May 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Getting looks from W&M.

DE Adrian Tracy
DT Sean Lissemore (6'4" 295...ran a 4.8 for NFL scouts this spring)
SS David Caldwell

Scouts are also looking at TE Rob Varno, and QB RJ Archer.

My favorite picture of Caldwell.

Hoyadestroya85
May 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Archer is one hell of an athlete.. Tracy seems like a good fit as a 3-4 outside LB

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Getting looks from W&M.

DE Adrian Tracy
DT Sean Lissemore (6'4" 295...ran a 4.8 for NFL scouts this spring)
SS David Caldwell

Scouts are also looking at TE Rob Varno, and QB RJ Archer.

My favorite picture of Caldwell.

I thought Varno was a good player but he is too thin hipped. He has very little room for growth. Archer is a good athlete and one that I am anxious to see what he does. He has more potential than the last two QBs to come through W&M who got looks from scouts during their seniors seasons.

Smendy
May 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Taylor Lanigan of Murray State is a kid that I know is blessed with NFL athletic ability. He might be a player that can impres at a Pro Day.

Being based in the Northeast, in Ivy League, CAA and Patriot League league country, I can't say I've seen him much, but I know his stats have looked pretty good, when he's healthy. He makes a lot of tackles.

http://www.goracers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=32150&SPID=2581&DB_OEM_ID=6700&ATCLID=684539

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I thought Varno was a good player but he is too thin hipped. He has very little room for growth. Archer is a good athlete and one that I am anxious to see what he does. He has more potential than the last two QBs to come through W&M who got looks from scouts during their seniors seasons.

Varno is a longshot for the reason you cite.

We are excited about Archers potential. What most people don't know about him is how fundamentally sound he is. Excellent mechanics, and an arm as strong as any we've seen. Great story from his freshman year when his roommates set up a bet with some upperclassmen that he could throw a ball through the uprights from one knee at the 40. Several took the bait, and had to pay up.

I've referenced the clip below a number of times to show his mechanics, footwork, pocket presence, field vision, and quick release. I could run a QB clinic off this one play as he completes to his third read under pressure.

Tribe website is down for maintenance, so I'll have to post the clip later.

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Here's the clip I talked about on Archer. Added another which was an audible, and shows his touch on deep balls.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/vu/mack21.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/vu/mack44td.html

crusader11
May 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
No Dom Randolph? The kid is a legit candidate to win the Payton Award and is probably a top 3 QB in the FCS.

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
No Dom Randolph? The kid is a legit candidate to win the Payton Award and is probably a top 3 QB in the FCS.

I was just pointing out a few names, not every prospect obviously. I agree with you that he is legit. I really think he is a priority free agent at this point.

BEAR
May 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Here is an early list to start it off.

CB Kevin Thornton Arkansas-Pine Bluff
OT Lane Freiwald 6-7 324 Sr. Central Arkansas
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
QB John Skelton Fordham
WR Matt Luft Harvard
WR Marc Mariani Montana
WR Bakari Grant UC Davis
WR Chris Carter UC Davis
Added Freiwald...um..that guy is a no brainer.

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Added Freiwald...um..that guy is a no brainer.

Word on the street is that he did not run very well for NFL scouts (5.4). Hopefully he improves on that because I agree with you. I just left him off because I know he did not run as well as Williams, Hardman, etc. did.

katstrapper
May 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I am of the opinion that Sam Houston State Offensive Guard Hunter Schmidt could possibly play at the next level. Started as a redshirt freshman and hasnt missed a game in 2006,2007 and 2008. Good size at 6-3,304, a good run blocker and obviously very durable. Was originally recruited as a center, but was moved to guard so could probably play either spot. Not sure if he would get drafted, but he would be a good free agent pick up for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I am of the opinion that Sam Houston State Offensive Guard Hunter Schmidt could possibly play at the next level. Started as a redshirt freshman and hasnt missed a game in 2006,2007 and 2008. Good size at 6-3,304, a good run blocker and obviously very durable. Was originally recruited as a center, but was moved to guard so could probably play either spot. Not sure if he would get drafted, but he would be a good free agent pick up for sure.

I know he and Chris Brown were recommended to scouts. I was actually surprised because I thought of Schmidt as a free agent but they rejected him at this point. They update grades on players in the fall so it is possible he gets higher on the radar but as of now I would say he is 50/50 for a tryout or free agent contract. A lot can happen though so it means very little when predicting what will happen in 2010.

One day I will explain what NFL scouts do to find players and how players really get on the radar.

katstrapper
May 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I know he and Chris Brown were recommended to scouts. I was actually surprised because I thought of Schmidt as a free agent but they rejected him at this point. They update grades on players in the fall so it is possible he gets higher on the radar but as of now I would say he is 50/50 for a tryout or free agent contract. A lot can happen though so it means very little when predicting what will happen in 2010.

One day I will explain what NFL scouts do to find players and how players really get on the radar.

Chris Brown will probably get looks for sure. Former UT product and starter on the defensive line on the National Championship team as a freshman until he got injured with a broken leg. Wasnt able to obtain his starting spot back and transferred to SHSU. Tall, athletic and fast. His motor is constantly going and creates problems for offenses. I envision him as an outside rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense like a Demarcus Ware.

BEAR
May 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Word on the street is that he did not run very well for NFL scouts (5.4). Hopefully he improves on that because I agree with you. I just left him off because I know he did not run as well as Williams, Hardman, etc. did.

How fast does a 6'7" 325 lb. O lineman have to run? Last time I looked 99% of the game he didn't go more than 5 yards either way! xlolx I understand the need for quickness and that the NFL looks at it, but seriously don't most of the hoss' stay on the line and block protect? I think he will be drafted and scouts will say he's slow, didn't play against great competition because he's from a small school, and get him at a steal in the lower rounds..save a little cash. But if they took him at his true ability, a team leader, great hands, field smart and more than capable of playing in the NFL, they would give him a better paycheck in the higher rounds. Freiwald may not have run well in his junior year, but another year on the weights and more conditioning..just a little improvement will raise his stock. xthumbsupx (Yeah, homer alert, but I know talent when I see it..can't say that too often about many players)

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
How fast does a 6'7" 325 lb. O lineman have to run? Last time I looked 99% of the game he didn't go more than 5 yards either way! xlolx I understand the need for quickness and that the NFL looks at it, but seriously don't most of the hoss' stay on the line and block protect? I think he will be drafted and scouts will say he's slow, didn't play against great competition because he's from a small school, and get him at a steal in the lower rounds..save a little cash. But if they took him at his true ability, a team leader, great hands, field smart and more than capable of playing in the NFL, they would give him a better paycheck in the higher rounds. Freiwald may not have run well in his junior year, but another year on the weights and more conditioning..just a little improvement will raise his stock. xthumbsupx (Yeah, homer alert, but I know talent when I see it..can't say that too often about many players)

I actually liked Freiwald on tape and gave him a draftable grade but dropped him to PFA when he ran that poorly. He reminds me of a run blocking OG I looked at this past year from Missouri Western who ran 5.4-5.5 at his junior pro day, went to the combine, ran 5.2 at his senior pro day, and was expected to go in the 5th-6th round and went undrafted. As you know, Freiwald is playing LT, however, I think he will be moved to RT in the NFL.

Native
June 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM

#24 Josh Morris
Cornerback - CB
Height: 6-0 Weight: 180
Senior
Previous Affiliations: Ada HS
Hometown: Ada, OK

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39323&SPID=3468&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=1275525&Q_SEASON=2009

Morris earned a reputation in 2007 as a "lock down" corner, made first team All Big Sky cornerback for 2008 and honorable mention on the 2008 Sports Network NCAA Division I FCS All-American team.

In 14 games in 2008, Josh made 35 solo tackles and 28 assists for 63 total tackles, and added 3 tackles for a loss, a sack, 5 interceptions, 9 pass breakups and a fumble recovery. In the playoffs against Cal Poly, Josh was able to hold Ramses Barden to 6 receptions of the 14 passes thrown his way, and snagged one of Weber's four interceptions in the playoff victory.

Native
June 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM

Weber State #42 Kevin Linehan
Defensive End - DE
Height: 6-3 Weight: 255
Senior
Previous Affiliations: Los Alamitos HS
Previous Experience : 3L
Hometown: Los Alamitos, California

Kevin's 2008 All Big Sky Conference season included 36 solo tackles and 42 assists for 78 total tackles in 14 games. Linehan was also credited with 14.5 tackles for losses of 88 yards, 10.5 sacks, 4 pass breakups, 2 QB hurries and 2 fumble recoveries for 104 yards and a TD, and 5 forced fumbles.

Additional info from his bio on the Weber State web site:

Courtesy: Weber State
http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39323&SPID=3468&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=1275519&Q_SEASON=2009
Release: 10/11/2007

WEBER STATE: Linehan (lynn-a-han) played and started in all 11 games last season earning Honorable Mention All-Big Sky Conference honors. ... Led the Wildcats in Tackles For Loss with 12.0 (-42 yards) and in Quarterback Sacks with 5.5 (-26 yards). ... Improved with each practice and game. ... Has an excellent initial burst off the snap with quick feet and hands. He also possesses tremendous physical strength and is one of the strongest players on the team.

2007: ...Had 50 total tackles, 19 of them unassisted. ... Best game was eight tackles @Montana which included a career best three unassisted stops.. ... Had a career single game best two quarterback sacks for minus 16 yards at home vs. Fort Lewis and a career best three tackles for loss in that game as well.. ... Had a fumble recovery at home vs. Sacramento State.

2006: ...Appeared in 10 games missing only the season opener at Colorado State. ... Played extensively on the WSU special teams. ... Had 13 total tackles with eight unassisted. ... Had a single game career high three tackles (all unassisted) at Northern Arizona.

2005: ...Was originally set to "gray shirt", but the thin depth along defensive line in the Spring made the coaching staff rethink the decision and he became a red-shirt instead.

HIGH SCHOOL: ...Comes out of the powerful program at Los Alamitos. ... Played for Coach John Barnes. ... All-CIF Division One and the Defensive Lineman of the Year in his league.

PERSONAL: Full Name: Kevin William Linehan. Major: Human Performance Management.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I added some names to the list.

FS Kevin Thornton Arkansas-Pine Bluff
WR Bobby Sewall Brown
WR Buddy Farnham Brown
DE Taylor Scott Central Arkansas
OT Lane Freiwald Central Arkansas
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
WR Austin Knowlin Columbia
OG Chaz Millard Eastern Illinois
FS Adrian Arrington Eastern Illinois
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
QB John Skelton Fordham
QB Dominic Randolph Holy Cross
FB Will Croner Howard
WR JC Ponciano Idaho State
RB Tony Nelson Massachusetts
WR Marc Mariani Montana
TE Dan Beaudin Montana
OG Robert Norris Morgan State
OT Keith Buckman North Dakota State
CB Quincy Wofford Northern Colorado
OG Moses Punzal Portland State
QB Noah Shepard South Dakota
OT Casey Knips South Dakota State
SS Tommy Connors Southeastern Louisiana
WR Chris Wilson Southeastern Louisiana
WR Juamorris Stewart Southern
WR Mike Hicks Tennessee Martin
WR Bakari Grant UC Davis
WR Chris Carter UC Davis
DT Phil Matusz Villanova
CB Patrick Stoudamire Western Illinois

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I added some names to the list.

FS Kevin Thornton Arkansas-Pine Bluff
WR Bobby Sewall Brown
WR Buddy Farnham Brown
DE Taylor Scott Central Arkansas
OT Lane Freiwald Central Arkansas
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
WR Austin Knowlin Columbia
OG Chaz Millard Eastern Illinois
FS Adrian Arrington Eastern Illinois
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
QB John Skelton Fordham
QB Dominic Randolph Holy Cross
FB Will Croner Howard
WR JC Ponciano Idaho State
RB Tony Nelson Massachusetts
WR Marc Mariani Montana
TE Dan Beaudin Montana
OG Robert Norris Morgan State
OT Keith Buckman North Dakota State
CB Quincy Wofford Northern Colorado
OG Moses Punzal Portland State
QB Noah Shepard South Dakota
OT Casey Knips South Dakota State
SS Tommy Connors Southeastern Louisiana
WR Chris Wilson Southeastern Louisiana
WR Juamorris Stewart Southern
WR Mike Hicks Tennessee Martin
WR Bakari Grant UC Davis
WR Chris Carter UC Davis
DT Phil Matusz Villanova
CB Patrick Stoudamire Western Illinois

You don't see anyone from W&M as deserving?

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
You don't see anyone from W&M as deserving?

I didn't list every guy in FCS, just some of the top names at this point. Tracy is probably the top guy at this point but he is a bit stiff and I don't see him getting drafted.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I didn't list every guy in FCS, just some of the top names at this point. Tracy is probably the top guy at this point but he is a bit stiff and I don't see him getting drafted.

A bit stiff? Don't think I'd agree with that. He's shown good hips, and drops to coverage well. Very athletic. The three clips below show his movement, and ability to change direction. The first he comes off a block to recover the ball on the outside. In the second he rushes outside on the left, changes direction through the block, and then goes inside for the sack. The third shows agility and quick change of direction on another sack.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ncst/alvahit.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/uri/tracyravisack.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/tu/tracysack.html

phoenixphanatic21
June 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
So everyone knows Terrell Hudgins is getting plenty of looks, but do you see anyone else from Elon getting a shot to play at the next level (whether they are drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent)?

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
So everyone knows Terrell Hudgins is getting plenty of looks, but do you see anyone else from Elon getting a shot to play at the next level (whether they are drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent)?

Maybe the 2 OL but that would be it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
A bit stiff? Don't think I'd agree with that. He's shown good hips, and drops to coverage well. Very athletic. The three clips below show his movement, and ability to change direction. The first he comes off a block to recover the ball on the outside. In the second he rushes outside on the left, changes direction through the block, and then goes inside for the sack. The third shows agility and quick change of direction on another sack.

He still looks a little bit tight in the hips in those clips but you can see that he is athletic enough to get a look. I never said he wasn't a prospect because he certainly is. I just don't see him getting drafted because he lacks the type of athletic ability that guys like Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury have. He is just not that freakish of an athlete with quite the burst or ability to cover WRs and TEs that those two have.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
He still looks a little bit tight in the hips in those clips but you can see that he is athletic enough to get a look. I never said he wasn't a prospect because he certainly is. I just don't see him getting drafted because he lacks the type of athletic ability that guys like Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury have. He is just not that freakish of an athlete with quite the burst or ability to cover WRs and TEs that those two have.

We'll just have to disagree on his ability to cover. I wish I had a clip of a play he made at Delaware where he came hard at the QB, and reversed to nearly breakup a pass wide at the line and make the tackle for a loss. As to his burst, here's a few more.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ncst/tracysack.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ncst/tracyhurry.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/nsu/traceysack2.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/unh/tracysack.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/uri/tracyqbhurry.html

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
A couple more of Tracy against Va Tech his sophomore year.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2007/video/vt/tracysack.mov

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2007/video/vt/tracytfl.mov

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM

He can bend some but he is not the athlete those other guys are. I think he is certainly a free agent pickup and with a huge year and good workout numbers could get drafted.

One thing to remember is that these are highlights. I based my opinion off watching 2-3 full games and not his best plays. He certainly shows some explosion in these clips you are showing. Another thing about Tracy is there are times his motor is not running and that can keep you from making it in the NFL. I have some clips of him on dvd from the Richmond game where he was almost non existent.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
He can bend some but he is not the athlete those other guys are. I think he is certainly a free agent pickup and with a huge year and good workout numbers could get drafted.

One thing to remember is that these are highlights. I based my opinion off watching 2-3 full games and not his best plays. He certainly shows some explosion in these clips you are showing. Another thing about Tracy is there are times his motor is not running and that can keep you from making it in the NFL. I have some clips of him on dvd from the Richmond game where he was almost non existent.

He was hurt against JMU and Richmond. Hip injury. Agreed those were subpar games for him. To his credit, he excelled against both Va Tech and NC State.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
He was hurt against JMU and Richmond. Hip injury. Agreed those were subpar games for him. To his credit, he excelled against both Va Tech and NC State.

That would explain it then. I saw Ruffin of UNI and thought he wasn't that good but found out he was hurt. I saw a game of him healthy and he looked better but I have a feeling in the end I am going to say PFA on both of these guys. Tracy doesn't have as much potential as a guy like Austen Lane does. Lane is 6'6, 260, and runs 4.7s and covers like a LB and has great range, closing speed, and has a better motor than any of the DEs for this year outside of Larry Hart. I am taking nothing away from Tracy and for the record if I was voting for an AA team I would put Hart and Ruffin 1st team and Tracy and Lane 2nd based on production and things at this level. I am just saying that at the next level I think Hart and Lane are better, although Hart is a Colts type DE and many teams would reject him because he is too small for their scheme.

smallcollegefbfan
June 6th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I edited the post before because it was all jumbled up so I wanted to make my reply easier to read... I also edited it.

That would explain it then. I saw Ruffin of UNI and thought he wasn't that good but found out he was hurt.

Playing well against FBS teams is highly important. Look at FCS players who did and then went to the combine or an all-star game and showed well and look at how high they flew up draft boards.

One player not getting enough attention is Murray State DE Austen Lane who has better tools than any other FCS DE at 6'6, 260, and runs 4.7s. He is up to 270 or so from what I heard since the off-season and covers like a LB, has great range, closing speed, and a better motor than any of the DEs for this year outside of Larry Hart.

I am not taking anything away from Tracy and for the record if I was voting for an AA team I would put Hart and Ruffin 1st team and Tracy and Lane 2nd based on production at this level. I am just saying that at the next level I think Hart and Lane are going to get better looks. Hart is a Colts type DE and Lane is an ideal 3-4 or 4-3 guy.

bleedblue
June 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Varno is a longshot for the reason you cite.

We are excited about Archers potential. What most people don't know about him is how fundamentally sound he is. Excellent mechanics, and an arm as strong as any we've seen. Great story from his freshman year when his roommates set up a bet with some upperclassmen that he could throw a ball through the uprights from one knee at the 40. Several took the bait, and had to pay up.

I've referenced the clip below a number of times to show his mechanics, footwork, pocket presence, field vision, and quick release. I could run a QB clinic off this one play as he completes to his third read under pressure.

Tribe website is down for maintenance, so I'll have to post the clip later.

Really? I just can't understand how great upside keeps him a WR until his senior year. Do you feel RJ should have started over Jake? Do you think RJ can have better numbers in his one year than Jake put up last year? I hear you on potential but if you had lay money down on Jakes numbers versus RJ's numbers who would you bet on? I just don't think RJ in one year at QB can do what Jake did last year. Tough argument.

lionsrking2
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Our QB, Brian Babin, is drawing interest from NFL scouts. They like his size, accuracy, decision-making ability, as well as his mental and physical toughness. Doesn't possess a classic NFL arm, nor is he particularly elusive but he can make the necessary throws, on-time, and rarely makes mistakes. A couple of years ago, I never would have put him and NFL together in the same sentence but he has developed quite nicely under our OC, Tommy Condell, who was formerly an OC in the CFL. He'll have to continue his development and have another good year to be a candidate to sneak into the late rounds, but has a good chance to sign as a FA I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18KlTem_pDc

http://lionsports.net/images/2008/9/15/rp_primary_091308_0042.JPG