PDA

View Full Version : Egos and economics

CSN Log
May 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
05-20-2009 12:48 PM

Egos and economics

In 2008, Louisiana Tech played six home football games for the first time since 1982. The Bulldogs also played road games in Kansas, Idaho, Hawaii, New York, California and New Mexico.

As a member of the Southland Conference in 1982, the Bulldogs played in Lafayette and Monroe, in the Texas cities of Arlington and College Station, in Hattiesburg, Miss., and in Jonesboro, Ark.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/20/egos-and-economics?blog=2#more4972)

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Ain't that the truth - egos!

La Tech looks down on ULM and ULL. ULM and ULL look down on the Southlands. The Southlands look down on the SWAC...

ButlerGSU
May 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Not sure it has been posted but this is a great article discussing the money involved in college sports (specifically football) and the possible conference realignment as a result of the economic times.

__________________________________________________ _________

A team can earn $2 million or more per season in financial guarantees by scheduling three or four money games, but with few exceptions, they lose those games by large margins. Dropping to what was formerly called Division I-AA would reduce expenses, but it would vastly cut into revenues. Not only do schools in that division receive smaller guarantees, but also Division I-A teams must play a minimum of five home games against other I-A teams.

In terms of total allocations from BCS revenue sharing, TV agreements and other I-A entitlements, a conference such as the Sun Belt receives roughly twice what a I-AA league such as the Southland receives.

UL-Lafayette stopped playing McNeese State in football in 1986, citing higher aspirations. A rematch in 2007 drew 33,828 fans, the third-largest crowd in Cajun Field history and in Sun Belt Conference home-stadium history.

The Cowboys probably won’t get the Cajuns to agree to a rematch anytime soon. McNeese, with fewer scholarships and resources, won 38-17.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/may/18/egos-and-economics-gnit1/

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Oddly enough, someone suggested a Bayou Conference on the Nicholls board.

ULM
ULL
La Tech
UNO
SLU
McNeese
NWST
Nicholls
Centenary

Would that work? Doubt ULM, ULL or La Tech would enjoy that partnership...