PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Television Network announces 2009 football schedule

CSN Log
May 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
05-19-2009 04:26 PM

Southland Conference Television Network announces 2009 football schedule

FRISCO, Texas - After a well-received first year of broadcasting, the second season of Southland Conference Television Network programming will feature more than 30 live events, including 11 football telecasts in 2009, league commissioner Tom Burnett announced Tuesday.

“We’re very excited about the second season of Southland Network programming,” Burnett said. “The league had more total television productions in 2008-09 than ever before, and the Network will feature even more live football this year.”

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/19/southland-conference-television-network?blog=2#more4966)

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Glad to see this thing still in place...

I am hoping that the SLC can manage to get these games all on DirecTV 617 this year. It was hit or miss last year, though I do like that they were able to secure TV time to hit most parts of the conference. Especially with the OOC games, it would be nice to get those games on DirecTV. Great job SLC!

These are the games by the way...

2009 Southland Conference Television Network Football Broadcast Schedule
Thu., Sept. 3, Western Illinois at Sam Houston State, 6 p.m.
Sat. Sept. 19, North Dakota at Northwestern State, 6 p.m.
Sat., Sept. 26, Texas Southern at Texas State, 6 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 10, McNeese State at Stephen F. Austin, 6 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 17, Stephen F. Austin at Central Arkansas, 6 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 24, Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State, 6 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 31, Northwestern State at Sam Houston State, 6 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 7, Texas State at Central Arkansas, 6 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 14, McNeese State at Texas State, 6 p.m.
Thu., Nov. 19, Nicholls State at Southeastern Louisiana, 6 p.m.
Sat., Nov. 21, Wildcard Game (Teams TBD), 6 p.m.

slycat
May 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Some nice OOC games. GOod to see the network is coming back. I'll watch once again from here in Houston. I wonder if there are plans to expand to other markets?

It'll be nice that the announcers will get more and more used to the SLC and be more comfortable with the coverage.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Some nice OOC games. GOod to see the network is coming back. I'll watch once again from here in Houston. I wonder if there are plans to expand to other markets?

It'll be nice that the announcers will get more and more used to the SLC and be more comfortable with the coverage.

The most important thing and I've told Todd Lamb this is...

1) The SLC needs to CONFIRM which stations in their network will broadcast the game on a particular week and makes sure that BOTH schools (when a conference game) or the SLC school involved (if OOC) promote that lineup on their web site. There were too many questions last year.

2) The SLC needs to try to get that DirecTV slot on 617 each time they have a game. I notice that all the games are at 6 p.m. this year. Was that an effort by the SLC to get that to happen? The games moved around last year and it may have been tough, especially with the certain schools out there that line up time on Fox College Sports.

3) Must infiltrate every market in the conference. For the most part, it seems they have done this. I think the key will be getting into markets that fall between. They did a little of this - but would like to see it expand. This one last year, they get a free pass on. They started this so late in the game.

I do love the idea of the SLC TV Network. Just want to see it grow! Keep it up!

SandMountainDemon
May 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not complaining about the games selected for broadcast, but I figured that the NWST/SFA Battle for Chief Caddo would have been a better choice than the NWST/North Dakota game. Just my opinion, but pleased with the line up as it is.

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not complaining about the games selected for broadcast, but I figured that the NWST/SFA Battle for Chief Caddo would have been a better choice than the NWST/North Dakota game. Just my opinion, but pleased with the line up as it is.

SandMountain -

Check the schedule! NWST vs SFA is the LAST week of the regular season. And what is listed - "Sat., Nov. 21, Wildcard Game (Teams TBD), 6 p.m. ".

The wildcard game is the BEST option! Do you really want a game between teams that do not matter to be shown over allowing everyone in the SLC to watch the game that matters most in the last weekend of the season? Heck, if NWST vs SFA is the most important game at the end of the season, it will be televised!

Do you withdraw your opinion? ;)

GeauxLions94
May 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Have to say, this is by far the quickest the TV schedule has been released by the conference. Nice to see the Lions on twice this year.

First two non-conference games should be pretty good as well with Western Illinois going to Sam Houston State and North Dakota at Northwestern State

All Times Central and Subject to Change

Southland TV Schedule Release (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=3740778)

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
I hope that all three of the big Sept 13 games - McN @ App, NDSU @ SHSU and NWST @ Gram are televised in some format or another. Figured the SLC would pick up NDSU @ SHSU, since that is the home game of the three...

Hopefully Fox Sports Southwest has plans there and then I think NWST @ Grambling may be a CST game.

GL94 - why is SLU v Nich on a Thursday night again?

GeauxLions94
May 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
I hope that all three of the big Sept 13 games - McN @ App, NDSU @ SHSU and NWST @ Gram are televised in some format or another. Figured the SLC would pick up NDSU @ SHSU, since that is the home game of the three...

Hopefully Fox Sports Southwest has plans there and then I think NWST @ Grambling may be a CST game.

GL94 - why is SLU v Nich on a Thursday night again?

Never has been on a Thursday night, though this is the first of a two-year deal between the schools to play on a Thursday.

Don't know if SLC TV is going to use Charter 108 (you need the digital package if you're a Charter subscriber on the Northshore) as its station this year and don't know the status of Nicholls State's deal with WHNO, but it would make tremendous sense to move the New Orleans affiliate there.

The network, especially during basketball season for what I can remember, was extremely hit-or-miss with getting games on ESPN360. Hope that will be an additional option that SLC fans will have.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Baseball proves one of the biggest problems with SLC TV...

DirecTV shows the game as coming on Monday at 6 p.m. instead of tonight. As was the case with football, the SLC needs to appropriately announce the affiliates that will show the game ahead of time on their web site instead of provide a list that fails to match up with availability.

While this unfortunately requires more work during a busy time, it has also caused confusion and unexpected "blackouts" by SLC fans who are looking to watch their games.

FYI - the Fox College Sports web site shows the game coming on at 6:30 p.m.?? So maybe, I'll get the game at 6:30 p.m?

Southland Baseball Championship (EXCLUSIVE)
Teams TBD
Saturday, May 23rd at 7:30pm ET (LIVE)

http://msn.foxsports.com/fcs

Further update... it has being reported on BobcatFans and KatFans that the game is blacked out on KTBU-TV, the Houston affiliate of the SLC TV Network. They are showing something else.

Another update... DirecTV - the nadda at 6:30 p.m. KTBU in Houston apparently came on live at 6:30.

McNeeserocket
May 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
These are the games by the way...

McNeese fans will not be particularly happy with having one of their home games at 6pm, but it is better than a Thursday night game, which I don't ever see happening at McNeese (especially in this time of budget crisis).

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
While I know the Pokes think that the 6 p.m. thing has a lot to do with them (according to one or two fans on their boards), I believe the SLC just wanted a consistent time in order to better line up time on the affiliates.

Seems to me that it would be problematic to line up time if it was all over the place. Getting on the affiliates EVERY week is critical, as we've seen - they can't seem to get it right and do not know who is showing games from a week to week basis.

gokats85
May 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
While I know the Pokes think that the 6 p.m. thing has a lot to do with them (according to one or two fans on their boards), I believe the SLC just wanted a consistent time in order to better line up time on the affiliates.

Seems to me that it would be problematic to line up time if it was all over the place. Getting on the affiliates EVERY week is critical, as we've seen - they can't seem to get it right and do not know who is showing games from a week to week basis.

That is exactly what is going on. The major FBS conferences have their "network" (i.e.: Big12 Game of The Week, SEC, etc.) games on at a consistent time every Saturday. From an operational point of view, this makes sense.