PDA

View Full Version : Offseason notes: Voluntary summer workouts; Broadway on budget cuts

thederisoreport
May 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
05-19-2009 08:07 AM

Grambling coach Rod Broadway has kept a watchful eye on his team this offseason, looking for hints of complacency after a breakout year.Save for catastrophic injury, there may not be a more likely rock to trip over as GSU turns its attentions to 2009.“That’s the thing you are aware of,” Broadway told me. “We’ve got [...]http://feeds2.feedburner.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~4/RdL8J0U88IA

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~3/RdL8J0U88IA/)

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I said this on TSPN as it relates to an article that came out with a quote from the AD in which they said they will not "delete sports".

The reason other schools are cutting teams is that they do not want to negatively impact each of their programs and are striving to maintain the level of funding those programs are at.

Considering the amount of money and the percentage that is proposed to be cut from the Grambling athletic budget, all of Grambling's sports will feel the full on brunt. That's a tough decision made by the AD and they'll have to work their tails off to cut into that $1.4M.

Hopefully, the Legislature puts a lot of the proposed cuts back and puts in place a plan to properly fund higher education in the state.

Syntax Error
May 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I would think GSU could cut football more without impacting it as much as other sports

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
It was suggested on TSPN that the SWAC football teams play two games OOC against in-state FCS foes. Considering there is only SLU, Nicholls, McNeese and NWST - they would play 2 of 4 yearly.

If anything, it would help their preparation for conference, would cut down on costs and perhaps boost interest in games for both schools.

Someone on SLU's fan board even suggested a "Bayou Conference" complete with all the Louisiana squads sans the two SWACs - Southern and Grambling (probably because they want to stick with the HBCUs)- and of course not LSU.