PDA

View Full Version : Around FCS: Hall of Fame misfires on FCS players

CSN Log
May 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
05-14-2009 10:26 AM

Around FCS: Hall of Fame misfires on FCS players

On the weekend of July 18-19, 24 players and coaches will walk through the doors of the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, IN, as the latest class of inductees.

Among those being honored will be former Heisman Trophy winners Tim Brown and Gino Torretta and a pair of Lombardi Award winners, Chris Spielman and Grant Wistrom, in a star-studded class.

From the coaching fraternity, USC’s John Robinson and former Massachusetts and Syracuse legend Dick MacPherson will be inducted. Joining them will be ex- Marshall and Georgia coach Jim Donnan, who led the Thundering Herd to the 1992 national championship and built that program into one of the best in history.

From the small school ranks, Fred Dean, Sam Mills and Roger Brown - all significant NFL performers - were selected as inductees.

But there was one rather conspicuous absence from this year’s class. Not one FCS player was named when the Hall of Fame announced the final group of honorees on Tuesday.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/14/around-fcs-hall-of-fame-misfires-on-fcs?blog=2#more4937)

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Awesome!

andy7171
May 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Great article. Sadly, the only ones who will read it are already FCS fans.

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

Franks Tanks
May 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
ERK should be in the hall of fame-- what a freakin joke

grizband
May 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I didn't realize the requirements for a coach were 100 wins and 10 years of service. I agree, Erk deserves his place in the hall!

Retro
May 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I really don't care for how the College Football Hall of Fame does things anyway.. It seems they wait far too long to induct some players or coaches and then many appear to be inducted only after they have had some great NFL career or other achievement well past their college playing days..

Players and Coaches should be elgible and inducted in most cases about 3-5 years after college with absolutely no bearing on their post college career.. People like Adrian peterson (gsu) should be inducted as soon as they are able.

DAVE Needs to make these suggestions to the committee and imo they should either 1. Put all Div I football together and make it mandatory that at least 1/4 of the class be from FCS/I-AA or 2. Give FCS/I-AA it's own section, but at the same time equal recognition as far info provided about nominee's, announcement of inductee's and press releases give equal coverage of all players and coaches...

Just because a player played on a team with 20 more scholarships or in front of 60,000 instead of 20,000 doesn't make him any more deserving.

Go...gate
May 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Great article. I can also think of other I-AA/FCS playsrs and coaches at least worthy of consideration. Jay Fiedler of Dartmouth and Keith Elias of Princeton immediately come to mind. How about Fred Dunlap of Lehigh and Colgate as a Head Coach?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Woo Hoo!

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe we can stop this I-AA thing now and correctly name us? We are the FCS. There is no hyphen etc. How can we expect others to take us seriously when so many will not name us right?

How many years will a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?

We are the highest level of NCAA Football.

elkmcc
May 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe we can stop this I-AA thing now and correctly name us? We are the FCS. There is no hyphen etc. How can we expect others to take us seriously when so many will not name us right?

Here is a start SE.. Quit burning bridges before you have even crossed them.xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Here is a start SE.. Quit burning bridges before you have even crossed them.xthumbsupxMr PAC10 man, you have no idea of the FCS bridges I have crossed (or maybe you do and resent that)

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
1-AA, always will be.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
1-AA, always will be.Yes it will, to all people who will denigrate the FCS and our level of football. It has NEVER BEEN "1-AA"

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes it will, to all people who will denigrate the FCS and our level of football. It has NEVER BEEN "1-AA"

WOW...sorry my bad. I pushed the wrong key on the keyboard. I-AA. Jesus. I will proof read my post next time, JUST FOR YOU Syntax Error.

Figures someone with "Error" in their name would be a spell checking fool.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
WOW...sorry my bad. I pushed the wrong key on the keyboard. I-AA. Jesus. I will proof read my post next time, JUST FOR YOU Syntax Error.

Figures someone with "Error" in their name would be a spell checking fool.xrolleyesx yeah right, you are on a personal attack roll

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
xrolleyesx yeah right, you are on a personal attack roll

ummm....okaaaa Don't follow. All I said was I will try harder next time to proof read my post. I-AA. All good?

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
ummm....okaaaa Don't follow. All I said was I will try harder next time to proof read my post. I-AA. All good?Yes, I love you! xsmoochx xprost2x

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, I love you! xsmoochx xprost2x

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx I don't roll that way.

slycat
May 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM

That has a playoff system.

Cool article.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
That has a playoff system.No, it is the highest level of NCAA football. The trophy says NCAA DIVISION I CHAMPION.

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
No, it is the highest level of NCAA football. The trophy says NCAA DIVISION I CHAMPION.

So teams in the FBS are not a level of NCAA football? Florida, USC, Texas, etc. are in the NCAA, which is why they are suppose to follow NCAA rules... I thought? Am I missing something?

Bill Hanson
May 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
So teams in the FBS are not a level of NCAA football? Florida, USC, Texas, etc. are in the NCAA, which is why they are suppose to follow NCAA rules... I thought? Am I missing something?

You are not. Syntax Error is just on a roll so don't stop him.

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
So teams in the FBS are not a level of NCAA football? Florida, USC, Texas, etc. are in the NCAA, which is why they are suppose to follow NCAA rules... I thought? Am I missing something?You are missing that the FCS is the highest level of NCAA championship football. Your FBS does not get an NCAA trophy. Like I said, the trophy says NCAA DIVISION I CHAMPION.

Go...gate
May 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I used both monikers.....hope SE isn't ticked off at me! ;)

BEAR
May 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM

ERK's not in the hall? What the %&^%%$!!! Wow...talk about a no brainer. Geez people, this one is obvious! xeekx

UMass922
May 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
You are missing that the FCS is the highest level of NCAA championship football. Your FBS does not get an NCAA trophy. Like I said, the trophy says NCAA DIVISION I CHAMPION.

I think we all get that. But you said "highest level of NCAA football," which means something different from "highest level of NCAA championship football." FCS is the highest level of the latter, but FBS is the highest level of the former. The NCAA determines bowl eligibility. NCAA tv spots run during commercial breaks of FBS games. FBS schools wear NCAA patches on their jerseys, play by NCAA rules, and are subject to NCAA oversight. They play NCAA football (and if not, why is the NCAA deciding what their level of football is called to begin with?).

Obviously you know all that, and "NCAA championship football" is what you meant to say the first time, so I'm not sure why you're trying to stand by your initial comment . . .

ASU
May 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
LISTEN.....He is Correct.

BCS and FBS teams (Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Southern Cal, Michigan, etc.) do NOT play for the NCAA Championship !!! ONLY FCS teams (UMass, App State, Richmond, etc) play for the NCAA Championship. The BCS and FBS teams play for the BCS Championship....it is NOT endorsed by the NCAA .... Therefore the NCAA Division 1 Champion is the team that wins in Chattanooga, and it says so on the trophy.

Green26
May 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM
From the Hall of Fame website, here are the criteria:

"Each player nominated must have: (1) received major first-team All-America recognition; (2) played his last intercollegiate game at least 10 years previously; (3) retired from playing professional football; and (4) proven himself worthy as a citizen after his football career, carrying the ideals of football forward into his community."

The last criterion is an important and limiting factor. Every great player is not going to get into the Hall of Fame.

Several of my friends and teammates, as well as my coach, have been inducted. I've attended the induction ceremony twice in the last 6 years. It's a nice event and great honor for the recipients, especially for those who didn't become big-name NFL stars. For many of the recipients, there's been a great deal of educational and lobbying work done on their behalf for many years prior to their selection.

UMass922
May 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
LISTEN.....He is Correct.

BCS and FBS teams (Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Southern Cal, Michigan, etc.) do NOT play for the NCAA Championship !!! ONLY FCS teams (UMass, App State, Richmond, etc) play for the NCAA Championship. The BCS and FBS teams play for the BCS Championship....it is NOT endorsed by the NCAA .... Therefore the NCAA Division 1 Champion is the team that wins in Chattanooga, and it says so on the trophy.

I am well aware of all that, as I thought I made clear in my comment. To repeat: FCS is the highest level of NCAA championship football because it's the highest level that plays for an NCAA championship. Most of us who read this board understand that. But FBS, even though its teams do not compete for an NCAA championship is still NCAA football, which is an indisputable fact, one that SE is trying to dispute for reasons unknown to me.

Retro
May 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I am well aware of all that, as I thought I made clear in my comment. To repeat: FCS is the highest level of NCAA championship football because it's the highest level that plays for an NCAA championship. Most of us who read this board understand that. But FBS, even though its teams do not compete for an NCAA championship is still NCAA football, which is an indisputable fact, one that SE is trying to dispute for reasons unknown to me.

You are correct.. SE is just a little too defensive sometimes!;)

colorless raider
May 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Great article. I can also think of other I-AA/FCS playsrs and coaches at least worthy of consideration. Jay Fiedler of Dartmouth and Keith Elias of Princeton immediately come to mind. How about Fred Dunlap of Lehigh and Colgate as a Head Coach?

Fred Dunlap for sure!!

bkrownd
May 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
You are correct.. SE is just a little too defensive sometimes!;)

I detect a clear case of 'small man syndrome' from that one. Yawn!

Instead of biatching at a world that doesn't care anyhow, this forum should simply make its own Hall of Fame. Do something productive for a change. 95% of the public doesn't give a hoot about "FCS football", and that's just fine.

Head Cat
May 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Why not work with the current Hall of Fame, which has an established legacy? With this issue being raised nationally right now, there is a chance that the Hall of Fame and the National Football Foundation might be willing to listen to someone or a group of people with credibility in FCS circles.

apaladin
May 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Erk belongs, no way Donan belongs!!

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Donnan built the Marshall program into an FCS powerhouse. He took them to championship games in 1991, 92, 93, and 95. They went to the semifinals in 1994 and the team he constructed (which many believe to be the best in FCS ever) won another national title to go with the one they won in 1992. Not many coaches did that. Also, Donnan is a nice guy. I've met him several times over the years.

I can't see why any FCS fan wouldn't think that Erk Russell does not belongs in the Hall of Fame.

BTW, I thought the column that started all this conversation was right on the mark. I'd like to see what kind of ideas other people on AGS might suggest for improving the Hall of Fame process and giving the FCS players their just rewards. Maybe if enough of us voice our opinions to the NFF, they might listen.

blueballs
May 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Donnan built the Marshall program into an FCS powerhouse. He took them to championship games in 1991, 92, 93, and 95. They went to the semifinals in 1994 and the team he constructed (which many believe to be the best in FCS ever) won another national title to go with the one they won in 1992. Not many coaches did that. Also, Donnan is a nice guy. I've met him several times over the years.

Coach Russell took his team to four NC games, winning 3 just like Donnan. He also had an undefeated season, just like Donnan (though some GSU folks will tell you that Coach Russell's 1986 GSC squad would have defeated either 15-0 team). GSC MOL invented and perfected the great double slot option offense that won 6 NC's and got two national runner-ups under Coach Russell's watch and the offense is being used today by GA Tech and Navy.

The difference between the coaches? Easy... Coach Russell did it from scratch, and when I say scratch I mean buying a football from K-Mart to be used at the inaugural press conference, using donated second hand equipment and playing in a HS stadium against club teams the first two years. By the fourth year GSC had an on campus stadium (Paulson Stadium) and won the 1-AA NC with a group of walkons that included defensive linemen who weighed under 200 pounds and offensive linemen under 240.

The miracle that was GSC football in the 1980's was unprecendented and will never be duplicated. For that reason alone (forget about Coach Russell's success at UGA as DC of the Junkyard Dawgs) he should have his bust in the hall without delay.

ITA about Coach Donnan... he's a great guy despite his Marshall ties but I'd bet he'd be the first to tell you he shouldn't be in the HOF ahead of Erk Russell.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Excuse me, Mr. Blue Balls. A couple of key words got inadvertently left out of my original post on Donnan and Russell (see the edited version above) that totally changed the meaning I had intended. I guess I was typing too fast on that one.

The unfortunate thing for Russell is that the rules bar him from eligibility. Unless they change the 10-year rule for coaches to be eligible (this shouldn't be the Baseball Hall of Fame), he isn't likely to get in. Like I meant to say originally, pretty much ALL FCS fans would know that Russell belongs in the Hall of Fame for both his career at Georgia and Georgia Southern. If I had a vote, I would have voted for Russell as soon as he retired.

Syntax Error
May 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
If I had a vote, I would have voted for Russell as soon as he retired.Me too. xnodx

blueballs
May 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Excuse me, Mr. Blue Balls. A couple of key words got inadvertently left out of my original post on Donnan and Russell (see the edited version above) that totally changed the meaning I had intended. I guess I was typing too fast on that one.

The unfortunate thing for Russell is that the rules bar him from eligibility. Unless they change the 10-year rule for coaches to be eligible (this shouldn't be the Baseball Hall of Fame), he isn't likely to get in. Like I meant to say originally, pretty much ALL FCS fans would know that Russell belongs in the Hall of Fame for both his career at Georgia and Georgia Southern. If I had a vote, I would have voted for Russell as soon as he retired.

No offense taken... I'm just trying to educate some of the younger posters on here, really anybody under 35, who weren't knowledgable fans in 1985. We can tell Coach Russell's story and retell the miracle that was the creation and amazing success of the GSC program but it is hard to really appreciate what an accomplishment it was unless one was around at the time and witnessed it firsthand.

As I stated before, it is completely unprecedented and will never be duplicated.

The same thing that is keeping Coach Russell out will impact other great coaches like Tom Bradley at Penn State. The only thing is that Coach Bradley may live to see the wrong righted but Coach Russell didn't live to receive that recognition he so richly earned and deserved.

The whole tenure thing is a head scratcher... it is an arbitrary rule (why not 12 or 14 years?) and really means squat in the scheme of things. There are a lot of coaches, like Duffy Daugherty, Vince Dooley, Bo Schembechler, Shug Jordan, etc. who are "legendary" and are in the hall but ask yourself, could any of them accomplished what Coach Russell did in the same circumstances and could Coach Russell have accomplished what they did in their circumstances? To me the answer to that simple question is all one needs to know.

Syntax Error
May 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
There's been talk of a new FCS Coach of the Year Award named "The Erk Russell Award." Also a couple other awards too.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
No offense taken... I'm just trying to educate some of the younger posters on here, really anybody under 35, who weren't knowledgable fans in 1985. We can tell Coach Russell's story and retell the miracle that was the creation and amazing success of the GSC program but it is hard to really appreciate what an accomplishment it was unless one was around at the time and witnessed it firsthand.

As I stated before, it is completely unprecedented and will never be duplicated.

The same thing that is keeping Coach Russell out will impact other great coaches like Tom Bradley at Penn State. The only thing is that Coach Bradley may live to see the wrong righted but Coach Russell didn't live to receive that recognition he so richly earned and deserved.

The whole tenure thing is a head scratcher... it is an arbitrary rule (why not 12 or 14 years?) and really means squat in the scheme of things. There are a lot of coaches, like Duffy Daugherty, Vince Dooley, Bo Schembechler, Shug Jordan, etc. who are "legendary" and are in the hall but ask yourself, could any of them accomplished what Coach Russell did in the same circumstances and could Coach Russell have accomplished what they did in their circumstances? To me the answer to that simple question is all one needs to know.
With the money that head coaches are making at the FBS level, you are likely to see a lot less coaches who stick around for 10 years in the future. You already have seen successful coaches being fired at the drop of a hat when a new AD comes in and they have one losing year. At some places, coaches are getting fired after winning eight or nine games in a season. So that could impact the rules at some date. Erk Russell's best chance is with the veteran's committee. I agree with you wholeheartedly that coaches like Russell ought to be inducted while they are still living, so that they can actually enjoy the recognition.

Hoyadestroya85
May 17th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Because FCS is a stupid nickname.. I'm sorry I have to say it. And you're the only FCS enforcement nazi we have on the board.

I disagree with Clawson though.. this is not needed, people will find themselves in the hall if they had remarkable careers.. i.e. Tracy Ham

grizband
May 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM
There's been talk of a new FCS Coach of the Year Award named "The Erk Russell Award." Also a couple other awards too.
Would this replace the current Eddie Robinson award?

Bill Hanson
May 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM

That is all I-AA needs, is more awards.xsmhx