PDA

View Full Version : Hey UNH Fans...

JCPanthers
November 30th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I've finalized my trip to New Hampshire and was wondering where are some of the hot spots in the Durham - Portsmouth area. Hot spots meaning sports bars, restaurants...good places to eat and watch some other football games on Saturday. I do NOT like seafood!!

We'll be arriving to Portsmouth Thursday night staying at a hotel on Woodbury Ave??

Thanks for your help...looking forward to a great game on Saturday!!

UNHWILDCATS05
November 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I've finalized my trip to New Hampshire and was wondering where are some of the hot spots in the Durham - Portsmouth area. Hot spots meaning sports bars, restaurants...good places to eat and watch some other football games on Saturday. I do NOT like seafood!!

We'll be arriving to Portsmouth Thursday night staying at a hotel on Woodbury Ave??

Durham - Bars - Libbys(most popular), Tin palace, Scorpions
Restaurants - Libbys and Tin Palace also have food,
Youngs, Acorns (UNH restaurant at the new England Center), also three pizza places, and a couple sub places.

Portsmouth - Bars and food - Gas light company (Great pizza), Portmouth Brewery (great beer), Muddry River Smokehouse(Great BBQ), there are many bars in Portsmouth and many are good.. just walk around

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM

theres this great place i went to in porsmouth lemme look around and see if i can find the name of it for ya. GREAT FOOD

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
theres this great place i went to in porsmouth lemme look around and see if i can find the name of it for ya. GREAT FOOD

WOW i found it quick heres there link... i highly reccomend the food and the prices arent bad either.

http://www.muddyriver.com/

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Durham - Bars - Libbys(most popular), Tin palace, Scorpions
Restaurants - Libbys and Tin Palace also have food,
Youngs, Acorns (UNH restaurant at the new England Center), also three pizza places, and a couple sub places.

Portsmouth - Bars and food - Gas light company (Great pizza), Portmouth Brewery (great beer), Muddry River Smokehouse(Great BBQ), there are many bars in Portsmouth and many are good.. just walk around

whoops u beat me to the muddy river :P

Granite
November 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Do the game in Durham, but definitely hang out in Portsmouth - there really isn't much to do in Durham besides what UNHWILDCATS05 wrote about above. If you want to get a sense of the culture of the New Hampshire seacoast, Portsmouth is definitely the place to be.

Muddy River Smokehouse is excellent! Stop by Portsmouth Brewery for some good local microbrews and brewpub grub. Pocos has some good Mexican-fusion type food - good atmosphere, especially downstairs. If you want upscale, there's a place on Tugboat alley called Lindbergh's Crossing - great food and good atmosphere in a 1700's kind of way.

If you do decide to go out in Durham, try the pub at the Three Chimney's Inn - good food in another nice New England setting.

Hope you have a good time here on Saturday - most of the UNH fans are really looking forward to our matchup on the field!

Husky Alum
November 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
If you want to try REAL good seafood, go to Newick's. It's just off of the highway in Dover, NH.

No trip to UNH is complete without a stop at Newick's for Lobster Stew after the game.

www.newicks.com

I believe the Dover location is closest to Durham.

UNH Alum, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Granite
November 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
If you want to try REAL good seafood, go to Newick's. It's just off of the highway in Dover, NH.

I agree, Newicks is great. But I think that the original poster said that he/she wasn't into seafood? If you want some good fresh lobster, fish or chowder, Newicks is the place. Lots of beers on tap, too! :beerchug:

wildcat_fan
November 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I used to love Tin Palace pizza and beer. Haven't been there in years though. TP and Youngs are the only places still there from when I was a student. My favorite hangout was downstairs at Nick's.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I used to love Tin Palace pizza and beer. Haven't been there in years though. TP and Youngs are the only places still there from when I was a student. My favorite hangout was downstairs at Nick's.

damn its been awhile!! Hey is it true they used to have a slide to get into the basement at Nicks?

wildcat_fan
November 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
damn its been awhile!! Hey is it true they used to have a slide to get into the basement at Nicks?

If they did, it was after my time--I graduated in '84. I must say, however, that there were plenty of times when it felt like I was sliding down there after getting "primed" back at the dorm :smiley_wi

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM
JCPanthers, unless you're a student or recent grad, then I agree with Granite -- Portsmouth is the place to be. Here's one link I found quickly:

Seacoast Tourism (http://www.seacoasttourism.com/)

I'm on my way out the door, but will try to add more later on. In general though, Portsmouth has an above average number of quality restaurants for a town of its size. And you'll find many of the chain places at or near the Fox Run Mall on the Portsmouth-Newington line (on the way to Durham). There's a mexican place in there (somebody's Road House or something) that has a lot of TVs, but I'll wager you'll get better mexican out in Iowa.

In Durham though, the New England Center has a very good restaurant and I believe the Sunday Brunch is very good. UNH has a Hotel Administration department so the Center is quite nice.

I'm guessing that Woodbury Avenue is the address of many hotels at the Portsmouth Traffic Circle which is just off I-95. You're close to UNH (10 miles), but you're not walking distance to downtown Portsmouth either. Still, very close and lots of parking in Portsmouth.

Don't know if you saw this info on the UNH web site so I'll provide the link:

UNH Playoff Info (http://www.unhwildcats.com/football/20052006/fanguide.shtml)

The key item here is tailgating with alcohol -- it's only allowed in the fields west of the football stadium. If you follow the signs on US 4, you'll actually pass these fields before you get to the stadium. Heads up, these are grassy fields, although I'm guessing that the snow has melted. Doesn't mean there won't be more before Saturday. Regardless, it will be damp out there. Oh yeah, you have to have tickets to the game to enter the tailgate area.

If you like craft beers, then having some Smuttynose is a requirement!

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I agree, Newicks is great. But I think that the original poster said that he/she wasn't into seafood?

Those Iowa boys definitely don't know good seafood. When I went to UNI I stopped eating it there since it was awful (fried frozen crap). Whenever I came back to New England eating some fresh seafood was right at the top of my list. Portsmouth should have some good FRESH seafood if you want to give it a whirl.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Those Iowa boys definitely don't know good seafood. When I went to UNI I stopped eating it there since it was awful (fried frozen crap). Whenever I came back to New England eating some fresh seafood was right at the top of my list. Portsmouth should have some good FRESH seafood if you want to give it a whirl.

You weren't at the right place, then, YESser! There's a seafood place in Waterloo that has fresh stuff flown in daily - from the Gulf Of Mexico - where the GOOD seafood resides!

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
www.portsmouthnh.com

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Th
ere's a seafood place in Waterloo that has fresh stuff flown in daily - from the Gulf Of Mexico

What place is that... is it new. Probably expensive too. No $$$ flow when I was in college. Perkins was always a good time but I don't remember it having seafood.

wildcatbymarriage
November 30th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Red Hook brewery--you can get to it from portsmouth by taking the Pease Tradeport exit off of I-95. GREAT beer, good food (classy pub grub) and a fun, laid-back atmosphere. Everytime my wife and I are home (we're living in TN now--luckily five hours from Chattanooga should the need arise) we make sure to stop there. A little out of the way, but worth it.

Matt

JCPanthers
November 30th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations guys/gals..and especially the info on the tailgating....as that is a necessity. However, I've been told that tailgating is only allowed 2 hours before the game...wow it takes me that long just to get the damn grill going.

Hope to meet up and have a few beverages with some of you UNH fans! Good luck Saturday.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations guys/gals..and especially the info on the tailgating....as that is a necessity. However, I've been told that tailgating is only allowed 2 hours before the game...wow it takes me that long just to get the damn grill going.

Hope to meet up and have a few beverages with some of you UNH fans! Good luck Saturday.

That two hour limit is probably because of the 11:00 AM start. I'd venture over before 9:00 if you really want to get started. Worst that happens is you're first in line to enter!

Are you driving and covering the front door for Cap'n?

JCPanthers
December 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM
That two hour limit is probably because of the 11:00 AM start. I'd venture over before 9:00 if you really want to get started. Worst that happens is you're first in line to enter!

Are you driving and covering the front door for Cap'n?
No..we are flying. Was able to get some real cheap tickets. We'll probably be tailgating with him though. I'm sure there won't be many of us out there, so we'll have to stick together.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2005, 12:51 AM
Here's a link to a page that has links to the THREE breweries in Portsmouth:

Portsmouth Breweries (http://www.seacoasttourism.com/dine/breweries.htm)

dwtime
December 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Sunday get your breakfast at 'Jakes' in Dover, its by the Strand Theater (do they still call it the Strand?). May have to wait a bit but the Omletes are huge and tasty. Enough food to last you back to Iowa!

Rosa's in Portsmouth was always good for inexpensive Italian back 20 years ago, anyone know is it still open?

Man I miss being back in Durham and the seacoast.

igo4uni
December 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Here's a link to a page that has links to the THREE breweries in Portsmouth:

Portsmouth Breweries (http://www.seacoasttourism.com/dine/breweries.htm)

Tell those breweries to fire up production and add another shift. Cap'n Cat is coming to town!! :D :D :D

peace

igo4uni

wildcat_fan
December 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Sunday get your breakfast at 'Jakes' in Dover, its by the Strand Theater (do they still call it the Strand?). May have to wait a bit but the Omletes are huge and tasty. Enough food to last you back to Iowa!

Rosa's in Portsmouth was always good for inexpensive Italian back 20 years ago, anyone know is it still open?

Man I miss being back in Durham and the seacoast.

Oh, yeah, Jake's was awesome. I forgot about that place until you mentioned it. Ah, the good ol' days . . . :)

Granite
December 1st, 2005, 11:59 AM

Rosa's is still there, the food is still good, and prices aren't too bad! Definitely on the recommended list.

Tubby Raymond
December 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
WOW i found it quick heres there link... i highly reccomend the food and the prices arent bad either.

http://www.muddyriver.com/

Muddy River for sure, good blues bands in the evening as well. :beerchug: