PDA

View Full Version : good or bad?

DLS
April 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
do you think pat white going in the 2nd round higher than projected is going to help or hurt AE's chances at getting drafted? (whether its at wr, qb, db, or whatever)

i ask this because alot of people seem to believe white's draft and rookie performance will greatly affect edwards' stock for 2010.

smallcollegefbfan
April 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Three big difference in White and Edwards before I answer this.

1. White played in FBS
2. White was a 3-time POY in FBS
3. White is 6'0 202 and AE is 5'11 181.

It only helps if White comes in and produces. Regardless of what he does you can probably expect AE to get drafted lower. If White comes in and does well and AE has a good senior year and stays healthy, then I would project 5th or 6th round.

CrackerRiley
April 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Neither option?

DLS
April 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Three big difference in White and Edwards before I answer this.

1. White played in FBS
2. White was a 3-time POY in FBS
3. White is 6'0 202 and AE is 5'11 181.

It only helps if White comes in and produces. Regardless of what he does you can probably expect AE to get drafted lower. If White comes in and does well and AE has a good senior year and stays healthy, then I would project 5th or 6th round.

1. when it comes to the fcs and draft picks all they say about that is "im worried about the level of competition he faced" and then theyre done with it. and ae produced better numbers as to be expected by that fact which should help out a little.

2. true but the walter payton award winner is nothing to laugh at either. look at what some of the other winners have done in the nfl. regardless, collegiate awards dont hold that much weight in the nfl anyways. (besides heisman)

3. ae is 6'0" 184 as of last summer. he has consistently but on about 10lbs each season and he has plenty of room to add more.

i definitely expect him to be drafted lower and i was hoping white would be too. white needs to exceed expectations for ae to get a decent shot. white going early means it will be harder for him to do that. which doesnt help edwards. if white performs well this season then some other team will take notice and want to get a "pat white" of their own. edwards will be the closest thing to that in 2010. he's a safe late round pick due to the fact he could possibly fill multiple needs. think bang for your buck.

(of course this is all considering ae performs well this season. maybe even wins another payton award xwhistlex)

smallcollegefbfan
April 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
1. when it comes to the fcs and draft picks all they say about that is "im worried about the level of competition he faced" and then theyre done with it. and ae produced better numbers as to be expected by that fact which should help out a little.

2. true but the walter payton award winner is nothing to laugh at either. look at what some of the other winners have done in the nfl. regardless, collegiate awards dont hold that much weight in the nfl anyways. (besides heisman)

3. ae is 6'0" 184 as of last summer. he has consistently put on about 10lbs each season and he has plenty of room to add more.

i definitely expect him to be drafted lower and i was hoping white would be too. white needs to exceed expectations for ae to get a decent shot. white going early means it will be harder for him to do that. which doesnt help edwards. if white performs well this season then some other team will take notice and want to get a "pat white" of their own. edwards will be the closest thing to that in 2010. he's a safe late round pick due to the fact he could possibly fill multiple needs. think bang for your buck.

(of course this is all considering ae performs well this season. maybe even wins another payton award xwhistlex)

People in the NFL will still downgrade Edwards because of FCS and he measured in at 5'11 even, 181 pounds at the junior pro day. Most players are an inch shorter than listed. Edwards also didn't run for NFL scouts and thus we won't know exactly how fast he is until next spring.

One thing AE does have is a good arm and that should help him out though. He needs to get in an all-star game and go to the combine to have a real shot at going higher than the 6th or 7th round. A player with his name isn't getting drafted unless he has a combine invite so we better hope he is on that list.

DLS
April 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
People in the NFL will still downgrade Edwards because of FCS and he measured in at 5'11 even, 181 pounds at the junior pro day. Most players are an inch shorter than listed. Edwards also didn't run for NFL scouts and thus we won't know exactly how fast he is until next spring.

One thing AE does have is a good arm and that should help him out though. He needs to get in an all-star game and go to the combine to have a real shot at going higher than the 6th or 7th round. A player with his name isn't getting drafted unless he has a combine invite so we better hope he is on that list.

absolutely he will be downgraded for the fcs as well as for size, skin color, and his inability to be a good speaker. as far as combine and all-star games go i dont think he will have a problem with getting those since he gets a decent amount of exposure for a lower division player.

we also need to consider which other qbs will be entering the draft: bradford, tebow, pryor, . . . etc.

smallcollegefbfan
April 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
absolutely he will be downgraded for the fcs as well as for size, skin color, and his inability to be a good speaker. as far as combine and all-star games go i dont think he will have a problem with getting those since he gets a decent amount of exposure for a lower division player.

we also need to consider which other qbs will be entering the draft: bradford, tebow, pryor, . . . etc.

Funny you mention skin color. I think it is awful how black QBs, white CBs, etc. are viewed. People think you have to be a certain color to play a certain position.

Just to note. Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, and Tim Tebow are the likely QBs to consider. Pryor can't declare just yet.

DLS
April 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Funny you mention skin color. I think it is awful how black QBs, white CBs, etc. are viewed. People think you have to be a certain color to play a certain position.

Just to note. Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, and Tim Tebow are the likely QBs to consider. Pryor can't declare just yet.

yea pryor is just an example of what could be and i personally believe he will.

smallcollegefbfan
April 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
yea pryor is just an example of what could be and i personally believe he will.

AE won't have to worry about Pryor because he won't be eligible to declare for the 2010 draft but yeah like you I think he will declare as soon as he can, assuming that he is doing what everyone thinks he will do over the next two years.