PDA

View Full Version : Barden making Giant leap

CSN Log
April 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
04-27-2009 08:29 AM

Barden making Giant leap

GLENDALE — There were little more than 100 seniors in Ramses Barden’s 2004 graduating class at Flintridge Prep, where he spurred the Rebels to the 2003 CIF Southern Section Division XIII title.

He would go on to spend five years at the picturesque outpost of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where the Mustangs compete in the Football Championship Subdivision and it’s at least 200 miles north or south to the nearest major sports media market.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/04/27/barden-making-giant-leap?blog=2#more4848)

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
“Ramses Barden has size, he has a lot of athleticism, he is fairly consistent catching the ball,” NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. said..."

Ya think? xnutsx

6.09 receptions per game (20th in FCS)
114 receiving yards/game (2nd in FCS)
9.82 ppg (8th in FCS)

“I’m not saying he’s Plaxico Burress, but at 6-6, 228 pounds and very good athleticism, he fits the mold of what I think Eli Manning needs as a quarterback in the NFL.”

I'm thinking "he's not Plaxico Burress" is a compliment, i.e., he's not going to shoot himself with his own weapon and then cry about it.

The trade-up pick was a vote of confidence in Barden, who has been pegged by some scouts as lacking in burst and separation ability, but had maintained interest from several teams leading up to the draft due to his size, good hands and strong upside.

“He can catch passes under duress with people covering him,” former Kansas City Chiefs Coach Herm Edwards said on ESPN’s draft telecast. “He’s done that, that’s why he’s been a productive receiver in college; he’ll do the same thing in professional football.”

I wish they'd just say that his 40 times in the combine weren't the best, which is really all the scouts have to be going on. How could be be deficient in "burst and separation ability" when he dominated FCS in terms of receiving yards and averaged 6 receptions a game? He was obviously "separating" in THOSE games...

Giants basically stole Bomar and Barden. I hate to say it, but they are the team IMO that really, really cleaned up in this draft.

TheValleyRaider
April 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm happy the Giants got Barden. Big reciever with good hands will work in this offense and in the winds of Jersey late season. They even traded up to get him, so it's clear they certainly value him highly

Bomar is a more interesting pick from the Giants' perspective. Eli is the clear #1, and David Carr is a great backup. I'm not sure if Anthony Wright is still on the roster. If not, Bomar will be in a battle for that #3 spot with Andre Woodson, who was drafted from Kentucky last year, and spent most of 2008 on the Practice Squad. Bomar could be a sign the Giants have lost faith in Woodson, or that they figure competition will improve the both of them. It'll be very interesting to see what happens if Carr decides to look for a starting job elsewhere after the 2009 season, leaving the backup spot open

PhoenixPhan06
April 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I think if Barden works on his blocking a little, he could be very versitile and valuable in the red zone, as a TE option, and over the middle. I don't see many DB's going after him over the middle because of his sheer size and I think he'll dish out his fair share of bruisin over his career.