PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

Longnecker
April 27th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Western Illinois University's OLB Jason Williams was the 1st FCS player taken in the NFL Draft. He was taken in the beginning of round #3, as the 69th player overall by the Dallas Cowboys. He was also the Cowboys' first pick of the draft. This is great for Jason, WIU, and the FCS. Go 'Necks! :)

ISUMatt
April 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
No offense to Williams, it was a stretch by Dallas

JoeNeck90
April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Explain Matt. From everything I heard(not from ESPN), he wasn't going to be available by the 4th. He was even being told that there was a chance he would go early 3rd. He had something like 12 team visits or whatever the max is. There are a lot of teams going to a 3-4 this season that could use him. Coach Phillips has coached linebackers for 30 years. He really wanted J Will as New England and a few others were also very high on him. I don't care what Kiper and Mcshay were saying. Kiper has been wrong more times than he's been right.

JohnStOnge
April 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM

I don't know if that's the case. The guy ran 4.44 and 4.49 40s at his Northwestern pro day. He also had a long jump of 10'9", a vertical jump of 39", a 4.02 20 yard shuttle, and a 6.87 3 cone drill. To put that in perspective, the best performances with respect to those things among linebackers at this year's NFL combine were a 4.56 40, a 10'4" long jump, a vertical jump of 37", a 4.12 20 yard shuttle, and a 6.84 3 cone drill (Williams would've been second in that). He's 238 pounds so, while he's not huge, he isn't tiny either. Everything I saw about him going in suggested that going in round 3 was right in line with expectations. In fact, here's a preview suggesting that he'd go in rounds 2 to 3 and indicating "Williams could be the first non-combine-invite drafted:"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1256306

No draft picks are guarantees but I don't think Dallas picking him in the third round was a reach at all.

Native
April 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Explain Matt. From everything I heard(not from ESPN), he wasn't going to be available by the 4th. He was even being told that there was a chance he would go early 3rd. He had something like 12 team visits or whatever the max is. There are a lot of teams going to a 3-4 this season that could use him. Coach Phillips has coached linebackers for 30 years. He really wanted J Will as New England and a few others were also very high on him. I don't care what Kiper and Mcshay were saying. Kiper has been wrong more times than he's been right.

Even a dang weather forecaster is right half the time!

You coulda made some money betting against Kiper!