PDA

View Full Version : SURPRISES ON DRAFT DAY?

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Here are mine.

1. Jennings lasted to 7th round. Thought he would as 4th round guy.
2. Folsom and Schommer were drafted in the 7th. Really thought they were PFAs.
3. A little surprised that Cornelius Lewis, Everette Pedescleaux, and Chris Baker weren't drafted but EP was the only one that I would have personally drafted. Baker needed one more year and Lewis had too many red flags.
4. Derek Cox went 3rd round but he is a very good player who I felt would have been a steal in the 7th. Hopefully he can be their next Rashean Mathis.

JohnStOnge
April 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I was surprised that Cox got drafted because when you stepped outside of our FCS world I didn't see anything to indicate that he was on anybody's radar. But our W&M friend and you turned out to be right. I was also surprised that Jennings didn't go until the 7th round and that Sidbury wasn't the first FCS player taken. And, as noted, I was surprised that Q. Lawrence was drafted because he did show some hands problems at times and was coming off a serious injury. However, the guy is a very good athlete. He was a AAAAA State champion high jumper, is very strong for his size, and I honestly believe was capable of running 40s in the 4.2s at times and in the 4.3s consistently prior to his injury.

JohnStOnge
April 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I am also surprised that Nathan Brown wasn't drafted. I think he may have suffered from the "too short" syndrome. I personally think the NFL is whacked about that. No way do I believe that being 6'1" vs. 6'4" is THAT big of a factor in the performance of an NFL quarterback. But there's no question they put a lot of emphasis on that.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I am also surprised that Nathan Brown wasn't drafted. I think he may have suffered from the "too short" syndrome. I personally think the NFL is whacked about that. No way do I believe that being 6'1" vs. 6'4" is THAT big of a factor in the performance of an NFL quarterback. But there's no question they put a lot of emphasis on that.

Not really shocked on Brown. He signed with David Dunn expecting to be a 4th round pick I think and once it sunk in with teams he is 6'1 and has a side arm motion they decided he was a free agent. I am not one to fall for the lack of height theory on QBs except when the QB has a 3/4 or lower delivery and unfortunately Brown had that.

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm surprise that Bernard Scott, former thug RB of UCA..among other colleges, got picked at all!xmadx Maybe Brown should have taken that approach...xlolx xthumbsupx

hammer
April 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm surprised Fisher took Schommer instead of Anderson

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Here are mine.

1. Jennings lasted to 7th round. Thought he would as 4th round guy.
2. Folsom and Schommer were drafted in the 7th. Really thought they were PFAs.
3. A little surprised that Cornelius Lewis, Everette Pedescleaux, and Chris Baker weren't drafted but EP was the only one that I would have personally drafted. Baker needed one more year and Lewis had too many red flags.
4. Derek Cox went 3rd round but he is a very good player who I felt would have been a steal in the 7th. Hopefully he can be their next Rashean Mathis.

1. Sidbury falling to the 5th round. Can't understand why he fell so far with that speed.

2. I really thought Bomar would get a lot more interest as a early 2nd day/late 1st day selection. Maybe it's a character thing, but I think he's 1st/2nd round talent.

3. So little respect for "O" linement at the FCS level, with Bell not even getting a sniff. I thought he was worth a pick.

4. Finally, I thought EP was a sure late draft pick too.

Tribe4SF
April 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Jaguars comment on Cox was..."We traded a second round pick next year to get a second round talent now. We believe he's that kind of player."

Native
April 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Weber State linebacker J.D. Folsom was a bit of a surprise.

Thought Marcus Mailei might go first.

ur2k
April 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM
1. Sidbury falling to the 5th round. Can't understand why he fell so far with that speed.

2. I really thought Bomar would get a lot more interest as a early 2nd day/late 1st day selection. Maybe it's a character thing, but I think he's 1st/2nd round talent.

3. So little respect for "O" linement at the FCS level, with Bell not even getting a sniff. I thought he was worth a pick.

4. Finally, I thought EP was a sure late draft pick too.

Sidbury went in the 4th. Later than predicted but probably in a good spot for him and playing time in Atlanta

danefan
April 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Nalbone from Monmouth going in the fifth was a bit of a shock. While definitely worthy of being in an NFL camp, I thought he'd be a FA pickup.

Who knows, he had a good game against Albany which probably helped him with exposure to the Dolphins.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Nalbone from Monmouth going in the fifth was a bit of a shock. While definitely worthy of being in an NFL camp, I thought he'd be a FA pickup.

Who knows, he had a good game against Albany which probably helped him with exposure to the Dolphins.

Personally, I am truly scratching my head about the Dolphins' whole draft. They seem obsessed about recruiting undersized players (Pat White?) and borderline players (Brian Hartline? Really? A special-teamer and bit player on Ohio State?) attempting to transform them into stars. Nalbone's a nice kid, but there are taller TEs that can do exactly what he does, IMO. I thought he would need to prove himself in camp to make a roster.

My guess is that the Dolphins will be in the Lions' spot this time next year - they're in the process of getting run into the ground.

smallcollegefbfan
April 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I know some are surprised that Nathan Brown didn't get drafted but as I noted after the bowl games and combine I didn't think he would. He was in the 5th round heading into the postseason but the whole postseason stuff is not his thing and thus I knew he would fall. Thought he might go in the 7th but once it gets that late it is 50/50 for anyone.