PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL 2009 NFL DRAFT DAY FCS TRACKER

smallcollegefbfan
April 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Post the selections here and any news on FCS prospects.

We expect Lawrence Sidbury to get drafted and perhaps Rashad Jennings, Rhett Bomar, or Ramses Barden to get picked today. Good luck to the FCS prospects!!

smallcollegefbfan
April 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Looks like we might not see anyone from FCS as of pick 57 nobody so far. :(

Native
April 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
ZERO! ZILCH! NONE! NADA! xsmhx

No FCS draft picks in the first two rounds. Yuch! xsmhx

Maybe tomorrow! xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
April 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
this doesn't surprise me in the least

JohnStOnge
April 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
this doesn't surprise me in the least

Surpises me just a little because Sidbury was getting a lot of media chatter and was projected by NFLDraftScout.com to go in the second round. But I think he was the only FCS player projected to go before the third round so it's not a shock to see nobody go on the first day.

Here's an article that includes Sidbury, Bomar, and WIU's Jason Williams as some of the best players left on the board:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11676476

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
WESTERN ILLINOIS LB JASON WILLIAMS TAKEN 69TH OVERALL BY DALLAS

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Expect to see Sidbury, Bomar, Jennings, Cox, Carey, etc. to start coming off the board soon.

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Derrick Cox, William & Mary, CB, taken with Jacksonville's 3rd Rounder: 9 (73)

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
WILLIAM & MARY CB DEREK COX DRAFTED BY NEW ENGLAND 73RD OVERALL IN THE 3RD ROUND.

I was adamant that I knew this kid would get drafted. He went higher than I thought but one of those kids that DraftScout and others missed on. Keep an eye on Cox!

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The NFL has no clue who Derek Cox is according to their web site...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
The NFL has no clue who Derek Cox is according to their web site...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3

Not sure why. He was on my list of guys who would get drafted. He went higher than I thought but I don't see how they did not know he would get picked. He is a good CB with special teams value and the ideal H/W/S tools. That is why I wonder why these 5'10 and below CBs who don't return kicks from FCS think they will ever go high. Guys like Cox are the ones who teams covet because of physical tools and versatility.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
CAL POLY WR RAMSES BARDEN TAKEN 85TH OVERALL IN 3RD ROUND BY NEW YORK GIANTS.

This is their Plaxico Burress replacement. Interesting to note that when a team trades up just 6 spots like that they are shocked that the player they picked is on the board and thus don't wanna risk him dropping.

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM

This is their Plaxico Burress replacement.

Him and Nicks. Nicks isn't quite the size of a Burress or Barden, but is more polished at this point, I think. I do know the G-men were high on Barden, so I'm excited to see them jump up for him :)

WR on the roster right now:
Ramses Barden
Taye Biddle
Derek Hagan
Domenik Hixon
Mario Manningham
Sinorice Moss
Hakeem Nicks
Micah Rucker
Steve Smith
David Tyree

Smith is likely the only starter right now, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Nicks or Barden jump over Hixon and become the other WR. Moss and Manningham will likely be their big competition. Of course, we won't know until Camp opens....

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
NICHOLLS STATE DB LARADARIUS WEBB TAKEN 88TH OVERALL IN 3RD ROUND BY BALTIMORE.

Tribe4SF
April 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Not sure why. He was on my list of guys who would get drafted. He went higher than I thought but I don't see how they did not know he would get picked. He is a good CB with special teams value and the ideal H/W/S tools. That is why I wonder why these 5'10 and below CBs who don't return kicks from FCS think they will ever go high. Guys like Cox are the ones who teams covet because of physical tools and versatility.

Gil Brandt blogged Cox's exceptional pro day, but never followed up. The media guys get caught up in following who everyone else is following, and buy their own bs. The Jaguars obviously wanted him, and feared he would not be around if they waited.

I remember when Derek took the field in August of 2004 at a strapping 155 lbs. We had a similar kid come in last August in BW Webb. At 5'11" he's up to about 165 already, and will be in the mix at corner this year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Good call 4SF!!! You predicted Derek would get drafted weeks ago!! xbowx xbowx

TexasTerror
April 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I thought the Cowboys were going to get Bomar...

Surprisingly, they took another Texas QB - McGee from A&M. Man, Bomar has fallen...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM

This is their Plaxico Burress replacement. Interesting to note that when a team trades up just 6 spots like that they are shocked that the player they picked is on the board and thus don't wanna risk him dropping.

I heard the NFL Network guy call North Carolina's Brandon Tate a first round talent with issues taken in the third round by the Patriots. It will be interesting to watch Tate and Barden's careers evolve since they were taken two picks apart. Since I think there are WR opportunities on the Patriots, I was hoping that Barden might get snagged by the Pats with all those third round picks, but they opted for Tate and dealt a couple of the picks.

Hood
April 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
NICHOLLS STATE DB LARADARIUS WEBB TAKEN 88TH OVERALL IN 3RD ROUND BY MINNESOTA.

Incorrect: Baltimore Ravens.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Him and Nicks. Nicks isn't quite the size of a Burress or Barden, but is more polished at this point, I think. I do know the G-men were high on Barden, so I'm excited to see them jump up for him :)

WR on the roster right now:
Ramses Barden
Taye Biddle
Derek Hagan
Domenik Hixon
Mario Manningham
Sinorice Moss
Hakeem Nicks
Micah Rucker
Steve Smith
David Tyree

Smith is likely the only starter right now, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Nicks or Barden jump over Hixon and become the other WR. Moss and Manningham will likely be their big competition. Of course, we won't know until Camp opens....

And the G-Men finished the third round by picking a TE known more for his receiving than his blocking according to the NFL Network talking heads -- Travis Beckum out of Wisconsin. Looks like they're really trying to beef up the passing game.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/travis-beckum?id=71201

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Incorrect: Baltimore Ravens.

Sorry for typo. Was thinking about another purple team. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
And the G-Men finished the third round by picking a TE known more for his receiving than his blocking according to the NFL Network talking heads -- Travis Beckum out of Wisconsin. Looks like they're really trying to beef up the passing game.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/travis-beckum?id=71201

Indeed

At best, he's the #2 TE on the team behind Kevin Boss, more likely #4 to start behind Michael Matthews (better blocker than reciever) and Darcy Johnson (Red Zone option)

I'm guessing there's a sense in the organization that they can teach him to be a better blocker, plus give them more options in the Red Zone (or Green Zone, as Coughlin likes to say) for the passing game. Plenty of drives ended inside the 20 or the 10 with FGs, and getting big targets with good hands will help maintain balance in the playcalling

malibudude
April 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Beckum's next block will in fact be his first...

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Sidbury to Atlanta, 25th pick in the 4th round, 125th overall

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
RICHMOND DE LAWRENCE SIDBURY TAKEN 125TH OVERALL IN THE 4TH ROUND BY THE ATLANTA FALCONS.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
FURMAN CB WILLIAM MIDDLETON SELECTED 138TH OVERALL IN THE 5TH ROUND BY THE ATLANTA FALCONS .

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Giants take Bomar, 15th pick in the 5th Round, 151st Overall

Interesting pick. Giants want a long term project for QB since Andre Woodson hasn't been quite what they thought and David Carr isn't likely to stick around forever as the backup

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
SAM HOUSTON STATE QB RHETT BOMAR SELECTED 151ST OVERALL IN THE 5TH ROUND BY THE NEW YORK GIANTS.

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Bomar behind Manning? Right...don't see him playing anytime soon..or he's trade bait...xlolx

The announcers haven't even said a word about him..even when he was picked...geez..no respect..

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Bomar behind Manning? Right...don't see him playing anytime soon..or he's trade bait...xlolx

The announcers haven't even said a word about him..even when he was picked...geez..no respect..

Southwest scouts from Giants love Bomar and I am sure they had no plans of taking him but when a 3rd round talent falls to the 5th round you have to pull the trigger. Great pick by them for him and Barden. Barden is another player they had a much higher grade on than where he went. Two great value picks and both are FCS players. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM

He'll be 3rd string at best for at least 1 season while David Carr is the backup. Long term, I imagine they think Carr will look elsewhere to start, but we could get lucky

Giants picked Andre Woodson out of Kentucky last year, but he wound up on the Practice Squad, not the active roster. Anthony Wright is still on the roster, I think, but he's not a solution either in the short or long term

Give Bomar and/or Woodson a year or two for development, and we'll see where they stand

Hoyadestroya85
April 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Bomar would have started over Bradford at OU.. i don't care what those OU schmucks say

GeauxLions94
April 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Southwest scouts from Giants love Bomar and I am sure they had no plans of taking him but when a 3rd round talent falls to the 5th round you have to pull the trigger. Great pick by them for him and Barden. Barden is another player they had a much higher grade on than where he went. Two great value picks and both are FCS players. xthumbsupx

Two great picks by the Giants. Barden will give them that big possession receiver (not as fast as Plaxico and with less baggage).

Love the Bomar pick, he can flat out bring it. Knock on him was low completion percentage, but not his fault as he had numerous dropped passes. Will be interesting to see what happens with Carr, Woodson and Bomar fighting for spot on roster.

Native
April 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Bomar would have started over Bradford at OU.. i don't care what those OU schmucks say

This Okie schmuck says Bomar is a bum ...talented, but a bum.xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
April 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Two great picks by the Giants. Barden will give them that big possession receiver (not as fast as Plaxico and with less baggage).

Love the Bomar pick, he can flat out bring it. Knock on him was low completion percentage, but not his fault as he had numerous dropped passes. Will be interesting to see what happens with Carr, Woodson and Bomar fighting for spot on roster.

Ramses has a faster 40 time on record.. and he isn't a flake

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
MONMOUTH TE JOHN NALBONE SELECTED 161 OVERALL IN THE 5TH ROUND BY MIAMI.

Nalbone's agent is very tight with Parcells and Pioli. This is the first surprise pick from FCS, in my opinion.

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I hate that old exuse! xlolx If a QB has a team of receivers that can't catch his style of thrown ball, then he needs to adjust it. No good being a great passer if no-one can catch the ball! Look at poor Pete Maravich in the NBA...geez talk about a fast break head boink...xlolx
xrulesx xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
MCNEESE STATE WR QUINTEN LAWRENCE SELECTED 175th OVERALL IN THE 6TH ROUND BY KANSAS CITY.

TheValleyRaider
April 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Quentin Lawrence, WR, McNeese State drafted by Kansas City, 2nd pick of the 6th Round, 175th overall

FargoBison
April 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Don Carey CB Norfolk State to Cleveland

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
NORFOLK STATE CB DON CAREY SELECTED 177TH OVERALL IN THE 6TH ROUND BY THE CLEVELAND BROWNS.

JohnStOnge
April 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
MCNEESE STATE WR QUINTEN LAWRENCE SELECTED 175th OVERALL IN THE 6TH ROUND BY KANSAS CITY.

I must admit that, until it happened, I didn't think QL would get drafted. The reason is that he had some runs of time during which he dropped passes. In fact, one frustrating thing to me as a McNeese fan over the past few years is that Lawrence would blow by the secondary and either Fourroux wouldn't throw an accurate pass or Lawrence would drop it. I will say, though, that while he was playing I never saw a DB he played against that could accellerate with him. He's like instant full speed in just a few steps. Hope he comes completely back from the injury because he really is very quick. And I figure he must've showed good hands for someone to pick him so hopefully the "dropsy" problems I saw with him, especially during 2006, are behind him.

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
And poor Nate Brown still waits....

Nah..he's probably trying to snag some catfish on the Arkansas River. xthumbsupx

(But come to think of it, he should get drafted. The CFL teams didn't mess with him at proday..guess they figured he was gonna go.) xwhistlex

Purple Pride
April 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
And poor Nate Brown still waits....

Nah..he's probably trying to snag some catfish on the Arkansas River. xthumbsupx

(But come to think of it, he should get drafted. The CFL teams didn't mess with him at proday..guess they figured he was gonna go.) xwhistlex

He said he was going turkey hunting. He is keeping his cell phone turned on though. xthumbsupx

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
He said he was going turkey hunting. He is keeping his cell phone turned on though. xthumbsupx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xnodxxnodxxnodx That's Nathan! xlolxxlolx

He's about to be picked! ....!

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I must admit that, until it happened, I didn't think QL would get drafted. The reason is that he had some runs of time during which he dropped passes. In fact, one frustrating thing to me as a McNeese fan over the past few years is that Lawrence would blow by the secondary and either Fourroux wouldn't throw an accurate pass or Lawrence would drop it. I will say, though, that while he was playing I never saw a DB he played against that could accellerate with him. He's like instant full speed in just a few steps. Hope he comes completely back from the injury because he really is very quick. And I figure he must've showed good hands for someone to pick him so hopefully the "dropsy" problems I saw with him, especially during 2006, are behind him.

He went slightly higher than I thought because of the reasons you said but he can fly and you can't coach that. He can play either WR, CB, or return kicks. Anytime you have speed and versatility you are going to get overdrafted.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xnodxxnodxxnodx That's Nathan! xlolxxlolx

He's about to be picked! ....!

The late 6th or early 7th is about where to expect him. Hopefully he goes a little higher. He has Jason Boltus, Mike Reilly, and Brian Hoyer also hoping for a late round pick as well.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
SFA WR DOMINIQUE EDISON SELECTED 206 OVERALL IN THE 6TH ROUND BY THE TENNESSEE TITANS.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
The talking head on the NFL Network has a Twitter account and people are sending him names trying to stump them with guys they don't have any tape of. Along the way Jovan Belcher from Maine was mentioned, but that didn't stump them. (All the talking heads knew him.) They had some tape of him too, some of which was playing UNH in Durham, 2007 I assume.

Not FCS related but did you see that the Patriots drafted a long snapper? xeekx Talk about taking care of your special teams! :D

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
TSU RB JAVARRIS WILLIAMS SELECTED 212 OVERALL IN THE 6TH ROUND BY KANSAS CITY.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
LB J.D. FOLSOM OF WEBER STATE SELECTED 214 OVERALL BY MIAMI IN THE 7TH ROUND.

This is the second surprise pick from FCS this year in my mind. Really thought of this guy as a PFA.

JackTwice
April 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
What's the deal with Jennings from Liberty? He's been on top of Mel's highest rated for a while now.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
What's the deal with Jennings from Liberty? He's been on top of Mel's highest rated for a while now.

That is the one that surprises me. Must be something medical.

Native
April 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
LB J.D. FOLSOM OF WEBER STATE SELECTED 214 OVERALL BY MIAMI IN THE 7TH ROUND.

This is the second surprise pick from FCS this year in my mind. Really thought of this guy as a PFA.

Wow! Congrats to J.D.!

jmufan999
April 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
That is the one that surprises me. Must be something medical.

nope, he played in 39 college games, he's very durable.

i can't figure this one out either. he's a very patient runner. i don't see how Andre Brown (NCST) is that much better than Jennings. I watched the Senior Bowl, both played great, I just don't see what makes Brown so much better.

I'd like him to become a Viking, my team. we need a 3rd RB.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
nope, he played in 39 college games, he's very durable.

i can't figure this one out either. he's a very patient runner. i don't see how Andre Brown (NCST) is that much better than Jennings. I watched the Senior Bowl, both played great, I just don't see what makes Brown so much better.

I'd like him to become a Viking, my team. we need a 3rd RB.

No I am guessing that perhaps he had something show up during his medical testing at the combine and it never leaked out. There is something to this that we have not heard.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
NORTH DAKOTA STATE DB NICK SCHOMMER SELECTED 242 OVERALL IN THE 7TH ROUND BY TENNESSEE.

This, like Folsom and many others, is probably a case of an area scout really feeling like he has a sleeper that nobody knows about and trying to make a name for himself by banging the table on him. Congrats to Schommer!

ToTheLeft
April 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Really disappointed about Rashad :( We were hearing 3rd-5th round, no idea what happened. Rashad himself was pretty affected by it, he didn't seem to expect this.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Really disappointed about Rashad :( We were hearing 3rd-5th round, no idea what happened. Rashad himself was pretty affected by it, he didn't seem to expect this.

He is the only FCS player left I am shocked about. I was hoping to see the UNI DL drafted but this is not a shock. He will be a great free agent pickup that could really surprise.

ToTheLeft
April 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
If the Jags don't pick him up with one of their last two picks, I am thinking Houston and New England will probably sign him not long after the draft is over.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
LIBERTY RB RASHAD JENNINGS TAKEN 250 OVERALL IN THE 7TH ROUND BY JACKSONVILLE.

smallcollegefbfan
April 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
About time Jennings was drafted! This could be a steal that people talk about in the next few years.

ToTheLeft
April 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
And just as I say that...

Rashad Jennings, Pick 250 to the Jaguars

ToTheLeft
April 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Imagine him and MJD in the same backfield. Ridiculous.

BEAR
April 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
This draft stinks! So many good FCS players still out there! Free Agents I guess!

Thundar
April 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
NDSU has 3 so far

S Nick Schommer to the Titans
WR Kole Heckendorf to Green Bay
TE Jeremiah Wurzbacher to San Diego

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I think all the FCS picks really were hurt by the fact that there were a multitude of NFL teams that wanted to trade down. This was NOT the draft where people are going to look at the first round and see a multitude of superstars. Ultimately, teams thought they'd be able to trade down and get solid talent in the 3rd round and below and they should be proven right in the end.

Having said that, I'm scratching my head as to why Jennings and Sidbury went so low. For Jennings I wonder if it's a "level of competition" issue (not so much that they're FCS, but that the BSC is considered a weak FCS conference that didn't make the playoffs). But for Sidbury, it totally escapes me why he fell so far. I think he'll be around a long time in the NFL when more than half the DEs drafted in front of him will be out of the league.

Barden is an absolute steal by the Giants, I have to admit (even as an Eagles fan) - the perfect replacement for Plaxico. I also love the picks of Jason Williams and Ladarius Webb. I think both could end up starting as rookies.