PDA

View Full Version : Early Look at the 2010 Draft

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Who do you expect to be potential NFL draft picks in 2010?

Here are a few names.

WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
DE Austen Lane, Murray State
OG Matthew McCracken, Richmond
OT Derek Hardman, Eastern Kentucky
CB Josh Morris, Weber State
OT Austin Howard, Northern Iowa
QB Armanti Edwards, App State (WR due to size (5'11, 181)
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri State
TE Scott Sicko, New Hampshire
WR Pat Simonds, Colgate

Any way we can keep this thread up to see if the names we are thinking now are the ones who pop up here July and August when the season starts? It will be interesting to see if any of the names we are predicting actually end up on the radar.

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Who do you expect to be potential draft picks in 2010?

Here are a few names.

WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
DE Austen Lane, Murray State
OG Matthew McCracken, Richmond
OT Derek Hardman, Eastern Kentucky
CB Josh Morris, Weber State
OT Austin Howard, Northern Iowa
QB Armanti Edwards, App State (WR due to size (5'11, 181)
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri State
TE Scott Sicko, New Hampshire
WR Pat Simonds, Colgate

Any way we can keep this thread up to see if the names we are thinking now are the ones who pop up here July and August when the season starts? It will be interesting to see if any of the names we are predicting actually end up on the radar.

I am glad to see that returning Weber State TSN All-American Josh Morris made your list, FBFan! xbowx

Morris only really got beat once by Ramses Barden in the Cal Poly playoff game. With 6 solo tackles, a TFL, an INT and 2 pass breakups, Josh was is a BIG reason the Wildcats won that contest! I think he has the staying power to remain on your list. xnodx

Mac landed another good one this year in Jordan Brown, transfer from Snow College. Maybe he'll make the list for 2011. :)

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am glad to see that returning Weber State TSN All-American Josh Morris made your list, FBFan! xbowx

Morris only really got beat once by Ramses Barden in the Cal Poly playoff game. With 6 solo tackles, a TFL, an INT and 2 pass breakups, Josh was is a BIG reason the Wildcats won that contest! I think he has the staying power to remain on your list. xnodx

Mac landed another good one this year in Jordan Brown, transfer from Snow College. Maybe he'll make the list for 2011. :)

Another WSU player who might make the list for 2011 is WR Mike Phillips. Seems like he has the speed. Higgins is a good one and the one all the websites are going to list but he is just too small to be on an early list as a potential top 5 round pick. I do think he has some talent and thankfully he has two years to develop for the next level.

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking WR Mike Phillips might make the list for 2011. Seems like he has the speed. Higgins is a good one and the one all the websites are going to list but he is just too small to be on an early list as a potential top 5 round pick. I do think he has some talent and thankfully he has two years to develop for the next level.

Mike Phillips has the raw talent and speed but always seems to drop at least one critical pass per game. If he takes charge and steps up to become the consistent play MAKER he will make everyone's list.

Agreed that Higgins is probably too small to play QB in the NFL - it's the vision thing. He's mighty impressive, though. What stands out for me when you see him side by side with other quarterbacks (Dally, Bergquist, et al) is the speed and accuracy of his decision-making and execution. Maybe it's only 2-3 tenths of a second, but that makes all the difference.

You watch the other QBs and you know what they should do before they do it. You watch Cameron and he beats you to the punch! Sure, he makes mistakes, but he still has lots of opportunities to improve. It helps a lot that Mac is an outstanding recruiter, especially for the O-Line.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
When I see Cameron Higgins I see CFL written all over him - provided he keeps things up, stays healthy, etc.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
DE Chris Brown of SHSU - former Univ of Texas player - perhaps he becomes even better under Scott Stoker's system?

Retro
April 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I can't believe you left out Toddrick Pendland of Mcneese. Only one the best RB's in the country last year. He could be the top FCS player taken next year if he picks up where he left off.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Dominic Randolph, QB Holy Cross

ericsaid
April 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Jaque Roman LB App State

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I can't believe you left out Toddrick Pendland of Mcneese. Only one the best RB's in the country last year. He could be the top FCS player taken next year if he picks up where he left off.

His size hurts in that regard but he is a very good player. I was just naming a few players who will be on the NFL radar for sure. Immanuel Friddle is a name to look for as he probably runs in the 4.5.s and could get into a camp next year.

There will definitely be some names surface I did not point out and I did leave a few names out on purpose that I feel most people don't know yet.

I can guarantee everyone that NFLDraftScout.com has at least 6 or 7 players ranked in their top 25 small school for 2010 that are not considered legit by the NFL. Among those are Leroy Vann, Eddie Calvin, Cecil Shorts is just a junior, J.T. Gilmore, Scott Ravanesi, Terrance McGhee, and Chris Brown. I will guarantee those guys won't be high on the radar.

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Dominic Randolph, QB Holy Cross

Could have mentioned him. He is very good. I tried to name potential draft picks but I could see Randolph moving up. Definitely a name I could add to that list.

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Jaque Roman LB App State

Talking about NFL here man. Roman is 5'11 and runs 4.8-4.9 likely, although he did not run for scouts due to an injury. Don't see Roman getting any legit NFL interest. It seems App pubs him big time but to tell you the truth he is going to be the second best linebacker on that team. He doesn't have the frame and athletic ability of DJ Smith. Smith's big problem is consistency and change of direction, however, he has over a year to work on that before the NFL looks at him.

smallcollegefbfan
April 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
When I see Cameron Higgins I see CFL written all over him - provided he keeps things up, stays healthy, etc.

Agree with you on that one. Will be like Richie Williams, might get a camp shot but is CFL bound for sure.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Here's a guy that will be drafted from UCA:

73 Lane Freiwald OL 6-7 318 Sr. Little Rock, Ark. Parkview

http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/act-fb-lanefreiwald081.jpg

He's one of the main reasons Nathan Brown only threw 4 picks last year. He's field smart, huge, and he has great o-line leadership.

crusader11
April 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM

He's one of the main reasons Nathan Brown only threw 4 picks last year. He's field smart, huge, and he has great o-line leadership.

Kid is a man among boys.

Also, with regard to Randolph, he will basically be breaking every Patriot League and many FCS records this year. Not that this necessarily matters with his draft stock, but his final numbers for his career will look something like:

120 passing touchdowns (135 total touchdowns)
Close to 1,200 completions
13,500 passing yards
A 65% completion percentage
A QB rating of over 140

I really think for him to get a serious look, Holy Cross needs to get into the playoffs, and win a game or two so Dom can highlight his abilities on a national stage. Regardless, those are some pretty ridiculous numbers.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Kid is a man among boys.

Also, with regard to Randolph, he will basically be breaking every Patriot League and many FCS records this year. Not that this necessarily matters with his draft stock, but his final numbers for his career will look something like:

120 passing touchdowns (135 total touchdowns)
Close to 1,200 completions
13,500 passing yards
A 65% completion percentage
A QB rating of over 140
I really think for him to get a serious look, Holy Cross needs to get into the playoffs, and win a game or two so Dom can highlight his abilities on a national stage. Regardless, those are some pretty ridiculous numbers.

xeekxxeekx He should get a look! xeekx

Skjellyfetti
April 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
What about Cortez Gilbert? He shut down 2 wide receivers on your list last year.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM

I like Freiwald. Don't know if he gets drafted for sure. He is a guy who needs a good year. He was certainly a big reason why Brown was untouched many times. I'm not sure Brown gets drafted this weekend but I do think Freiwald and Hart are the two best prospects on UCA for this year.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
What about Cortez Gilbert? He shut down 2 wide receivers on your list last year.

Gilbert will get a look. He ran 4.55 at his junior pro day. Roman and Edwards did not run. I will add some more names in my next post because I do think several guys could be mentioned as well.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Here are some more names:

S Jeromy Miles, UMASS
OT Vladimir Ducasse, UMASS
RB Tony Nelson, UMASS
WR Marc Mariani, Montana
CB Cortez Gilbert, ASU
CB Jarvis Richards, YSU
QB Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross
QB John Skelton, Fordham
RB Will Ford, SC State
DE/OLB Larry Hart, UCA
OT Lane Freiwald, UCA
WR Roren Thomas, UT Martin
DE Danny Batten, SDSU
QB Curtis Pulley, FAMU
WR Donald Jones, YSU
WR Bobby Sewall, Brown
TE Nate Overbay, EWU
FS Adrian Arrington, EIU
OT Andre Barbour, EKU
DE James Ruffin, UNI
CB Eddie Calvin, SEMO
DE Tim Knicky, SFA
WR Contravious Parks, SFA

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Any chance for Lehigh DT B.J. Benning or LB Matt Cohen to possibly get on some teams' radar screens?

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Any chance for Lehigh DT B.J. Benning or LB Matt Cohen to possibly get on some teams' radar screens?

I remember watching Cohen. He is too small for a LB. I didn't look at Benning and haven't heard his name so I am not sure. Would be surprised if Lehigh had a legit prospect this year.

Retro
April 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
His size hurts in that regard but he is a very good player. I was just naming a few players who will be on the NFL radar for sure. Immanuel Friddle is a name to look for as he probably runs in the 4.5.s and could get into a camp next year.

There will definitely be some names surface I did not point out and I did leave a few names out on purpose that I feel most people don't know yet.

I can guarantee everyone that NFLDraftScout.com has at least 6 or 7 players ranked in their top 25 small school for 2010 that are not considered legit by the NFL. Among those are Leroy Vann, Eddie Calvin, Cecil Shorts is just a junior, J.T. Gilmore, Scott Ravanesi, Terrance McGhee, and Chris Brown. I will guarantee those guys won't be high on the radar.

Size?? He's 5' 10" and 175 lbs.. I'm sure he'll be a little bigger this year, but that won't an issue for NFL teams considering he can always bulk up.. He's a speed back with quick acceleration up the middle not a power back. He doesn't need t be 200+ lbs..

Hoyadestroya85
April 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Osayi Osunde, LB Villanova

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Size?? He's 5' 10" and 175 lbs.. I'm sure he'll be a little bigger this year, but that won't an issue for NFL teams considering he can always bulk up.. He's a speed back with quick acceleration up the middle not a power back. He doesn't need t be 200+ lbs..

175 is very light for a RB and he is more like 5'9 1/4. I haven't seen a 5'9 175 pound RB from FCS drafted recently. Really don't see him getting heavy looks from the NFL because of his size, although I think he is a great player. If he was 5'11 205 I could see him going in the mid rounds.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Osayi Osunde, LB Villanova

He is good. Not sure he is fast enough though.

Retro
April 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
175 is very light for a RB and he is more like 5'9 1/4. I haven't seen a 5'9 175 pound RB from FCS drafted recently. Really don't see him getting heavy looks from the NFL because of his size, although I think he is a great player. If he was 5'11 205 I could see him going in the mid rounds.

5' 9", 5" 10".. Who cares! Josh, in the NFL, you can either play or you can't.. I have seen this time and time again, whether drafted or not, small, slow, small school, etc players making the cut at the next level... The NFL scouts are a lot smarter and look at actual game film more so than scrutinizing numbers like exact height or weight.. They want players, not prototypes.. When you get older, you'll realize this after years of actually following the process and results..

Just to give you an example: Ryan Moats 5' 8", 210 lbs and Steve Slaton 5' 9" 201 lbs of the texans.. Height hasn't hurt them?

GeauxLions94
April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Any chance this guy will get picked? Definitely could see him in a camp.

Tommy Connors, Sr., Defensive Back, Southeastern Louisiana
http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/5/rp_primary_w083008_254.jpg

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/12/4/rp_primary_101808_0575.jpg

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/29/rp_primary_w092708_1133.jpg

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
5' 9", 5" 10".. Who cares! Josh, in the NFL, you can either play or you can't.. I have seen this time and time again, whether drafted or not, small, slow, small school, etc players making the cut at the next level... The NFL scouts are a lot smarter and look at actual game film more so than scrutinizing numbers like exact height or weight.. They want players, not prototypes.. When you get older, you'll realize this after years of actually following the process and results..

Just to give you an example: Ryan Moats 5' 8", 210 lbs and Steve Slaton 5' 9" 201 lbs of the texans.. Height hasn't hurt them?

1. Both of those players are from the FBS ranks.

2. You think size doesn't matter? Jayson Foster was the best player in the FCS last year and was not only undrafted but had a hard time getting a legit look in a training camp. Tell Foster and his agent that size doesn't matter.

3. Early projections that NFL teams get, fair or not, are mostly based on size and speed. You and others read NFLDraftScout.com and I have said it dozens of times.... PRINT OFF THEIR RATINGS RIGHT NOW AND COMPARE TO THEIR RATINGS IN JULY. What exactly has happened that they will overhaul them? There is a WR at Newberry who ran 4.22-4.33 range at his pro day and once they find that out they will boost him up to the top 30 WRs. Size and speed matters.

4. If you are going to be smaller like Pendland you have to be special or have a trait that makes you stick out from the others. What does Pendland have that makes him better than all the 5'9 175 pound backs and better than the FBS backs who have better size than him? That is what NFL teams will ask and that is the mountain he will have to climb.

Let me finish as saying I really like him as a player but I know several people in the NFL and I know what they are looking for and Pendland will have an uphill battle getting a legitimate look. He is a free agent and no way will he be a projected draft pick early on.

smallcollegefbfan
April 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Any chance this guy will get picked? Definitely could see him in a camp.

Tommy Connors, Sr., Defensive Back, Southeastern Louisiana
http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/5/rp_primary_w083008_254.jpg

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/12/4/rp_primary_101808_0575.jpg

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/29/rp_primary_w092708_1133.jpg

He should get looks. Not sure how fast he ran at his junior pro day so I don't know if teams will give him a shot. If he were to run 4.8s or 4.7s I don't think teams would give him a legit look so I am not really sure whether or not he will get the right looks until I found out how he timed.