PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana schools facing more budget problems

Pages : 1 [2]

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Southern University isnt one of the schools being mentioned to drop down. Nicholls, Northwestern, and McNeese are the schools that are being mentioned.

Southern is mentioned as well.

It was the first time I had heard Southern and Grambling mentioned. Presume it deals more with their athletic budget cut of $500k this year despite a minimal cut from the state and concerns from the school regarding future cuts and their implications on athletics.

I don't see what the fuss is about with only graduating 9 students per year in a program, TT. I was one of only eight graduates of NDSU's Visual Arts program this past school year, and there is nobody at all thinking about cutting that program at NDSU. In fact, millions have been poured into faciltiies and faculty positions for the NDSU vis. arts program the past few years, and we still only graduate maybe a maximum of 9-10 students per year. There was only 85-90 students in the whole program last year, and we're still proud of it.

Maybe SU's architecture program is the same way.

Bisonator - these are difficult times.

In Louisiana, if a program is not succeeding or churning out ample graduates, it is time to cut them. There are too many schools offering certain degrees, some schools within a 15-20 mile radius that offer the same. As we look to cut in higher education, with 20-30% percent cuts coming in 2011-12, universities need to focus on their "programs of distinction" that set them aside from other institutions and are popular destinations for Louisiana residents.

It's the reality of the situation. If every school in Louisiana has sports administration or banking administrationprograms, it just does not make sense.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
LSU-Alexandria's head honcho eludes to the fact that several athletic programs in Louisiana are NOT self-sufficient (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20100725/NEWS01/7250310/1002/Tough-economic-times-challenge-LSU-Alexandria-as-it-celebrates-50-years) when discussing "more obvious saving opportunities". The only self-sufficient public school athletic departments in the state of Louisiana are LSU and UNO. Neither receives state funding as brought up before.

As noted elsewhere, Southern cut $400k due to state budget cuts this year that were minimal. Southern can expect to cut more. Not sure what cuts at Grambling, Nicholls, Northwestern State, McNeese or Southeastern are - but they are in the ULS which was also mentioned. Of the schools, only Northwestern State was not mentioned recently to me as a possible downgrade...though that caught me off-guard as I figured it'd be McNeese of the SLC ones...

Chatelain said there are "more obvious savings opportunities" throughout the state in which to trim budgets besides closing LSUA or returning it to a two-year college. He said universities in the Southern University System and University of Louisiana System do not have self-sufficient athletics programs, and there are several universities within proximity where duplication of services could be eliminated.

Grambling's VP of Finance is out after the school violated two state laws (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100724/NEWS01/7240336/GSU-s-vice-president-of-finance-is-out).

GRAMBLING — Grambling State University's top finance official is out in the wake of a state audit released last month showing that in the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2009, GSU violated two state laws and at one point lost more than $1 million on illegally purchased stock.

Vice president for finance and administration Daarel Burnette, who had been on the job two years, left the position Wednesday.

lilrj1919
July 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
LSU-Alexandria's head honcho eludes to the fact that several athletic programs in Louisiana are NOT self-sufficient (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20100725/NEWS01/7250310/1002/Tough-economic-times-challenge-LSU-Alexandria-as-it-celebrates-50-years) when discussing "more obvious saving opportunities". The only self-sufficient public school athletic departments in the state of Louisiana are LSU and UNO. Neither receives state funding as brought up before.

As noted elsewhere, Southern cut $400k due to state budget cuts this year that were minimal. Southern can expect to cut more. Not sure what cuts at Grambling, Nicholls, Northwestern State, McNeese or Southeastern are - but they are in the ULS which was also mentioned. Of the schools, only Northwestern State was not mentioned recently to me as a possible downgrade...though that caught me off-guard as I figured it'd be McNeese of the SLC ones...

Grambling's VP of Finance is out after the school violated two state laws (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100724/NEWS01/7240336/GSU-s-vice-president-of-finance-is-out).

What does Grambling's dismissal of the VP of Finance have to do with this thread or site for the matter? It's not sports related. Neither is the stock violation.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
What does Grambling's dismissal of the VP of Finance have to do with this thread or site for the matter? It's not sports related. Neither is the stock violation.

We're speaking to the overal financial well-being of the schools, which in the case of Grambling which relies heavily on state and institutional support, weighs heavy in the future of collegiate athletics at the school.

McCowboys
July 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I guess the Louisiana schools will see how devestating the next round of cuts will be eventually. For now, enough of the doom and gloom. Please drop it.

lilrj1919
July 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM
We're speaking to the overal financial well-being of the schools, which in the case of Grambling which relies heavily on state and institutional support, weighs heavy in the future of collegiate athletics at the school.

It still isn't Sports related, i don't care how you try to spin it. Moderators tell others to stay on topic, does that pertain to certain people? The thread is entitled "Louisiana schools facing more budget problems". Stick to the subject about budget. It isn't entitled who got dismissed or violation. Info such as athletics budgets and sports that are cut or implemented goes fine with this thread.

Umpire
July 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The story about Grambling's VP of Finance is too much of a stretch for FCS Discussion. If you want to talk about that or anything else strictly relating to general education funding, take it into the Lounge.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM
He said universities in the Southern University System and University of Louisiana System do not have self-sufficient athletics programs

Maybe SUNO, Not SUBR.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Dixon said the Regents listed eight colleges -- seven four-year universities, including NSU and LSUA, and two-year Southern-Shreveport -- that could be closed, placing more priority on the remaining seven universities as well as the state's Community and Technical College System.

The universities identified for closure under that scenario were Louisiana-Monroe, LSUA, McNeese State, Nicholls State, NSU, Southeastern and Southern-New Orleans.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20100725/NEWS01/7250310/1002/Tough-economic-times-challenge-LSU-Alexandria-as-it-celebrates-50-years

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Maybe SUNO, Not SUBR.

Southern is not self-sufficient. Based on Greg LaFleur's comments in the July 5th Baton Rouge Advocate (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/97780914.html?showAll=y&c=y) regarding a $400k cut in light of the state budget cuts, it is quite clear that your department takes in money from the state (or school), while not breaking even with self-generated revenues. Never fear, all schools in the state do from LSU-Shreveport to McNeese, with the exception of the two largest LSU system schools.

Do we know if Southern-New Orleans has a student athletic fee? Here's their tuition & fees chart (http://www.suno.edu/Enrollment_Services/Registrar/docs/Fall_2010_Tuition_and_Fees.pdf), but I do not see anything pertaining to a student activity or athletic fee -

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Southern is not self-sufficient. Based on Greg LaFleur's comments in the July 5th Baton Rouge Advocate (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/97780914.html?showAll=y&c=y) regarding a $400k cut in light of the state budget cuts, it is quite clear that your department takes in money from the state (or school), while not breaking even with self-generated revenues. Never fear, all schools in the state do from LSU-Shreveport to McNeese, with the exception of the two largest LSU system schools.

Do we know if Southern-New Orleans has a student athletic fee? Here's their tuition & fees chart (http://www.suno.edu/Enrollment_Services/Registrar/docs/Fall_2010_Tuition_and_Fees.pdf), but I do not see anything pertaining to a student activity or athletic fee -

Never said they were self-sufficient, but amongst the football playing institutions they require the least amount of state Support next to LSU. xnodx The last time the data was available the state support was minimal.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Never said they were self-sufficient, but amongst the football playing institutions they require the least amount of state Support next to LSU. xnodx The last time the data was available the state support was minimal.

I found the data (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm) - finally.

In 2007-08, Southern received about 13 percent of their budget from state/institutional support. That total amounted to $953,704. Based on what we know, Southern cut at least $400k from that amount ahead of this fiscal year (2009-10) and presumably cut more during the 2008-09 fiscal year due to the budget cuts.

Not bad SUjagTILiDIE. You have been correct. Your school is not in the dire straits that I thought it to be in and for that, I was wrong. I do think your institution has made bad decisions and does not get the most 'bang' for your buck, but nonetheless that's a discussion for another day...

So - let's look at budget figures...adding Southern in shows they take more advantage of student fees, while getting substantially more NCAA/SWAC funds than Grambling. Of note, their budget is still behind their SLC counterparts with the exception of Nicholls...

Amazes me how schools do not 'tax' their students for athletics. Even a $100 athletic student fee per semester would generate some more $$$ to stabilize the programs, especially if the institutions maintain some sort of support moving forward.

*Southern totals are from 2007-08...

2008-09 DIRECT INSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT (or money from the state government)
Grambling - $4M - 64.53% of revenue
Louisiana-Lafayette - $6.2M - 51.32% of revenue
LSU - $0 - 0% of revenue
Louisiana Tech - $6.5M - 40.25% of revenue
McNesee - $3.68M - 46.81% of revenue
Nicholls - $3.83M - 58.3% of revenue
Northwestern St - $5.1M - 52.77% of revenue
Southeastern La - $6.86M - 68.64% of revenue
Southern - $954k - 13.8% of revenue
ULM - $4.2M - 40.96% of revene

2008-09 STUDENT FEES (not impacted by state budget cuts)
Grambling - $0 - 0% of revenues
Louisiana-Lafayette - $0 - 0% of revenues
LSU - $0 - 0% of revenues
Louisiana Tech - $0 - 0% of revenues
McNeese - $178k - 2.26% of revenues
Nicholls - $493k - 7.5% of revenues
Northwestern State - $767k - 7.83% of revenue
Southeastern La. - $0 - 0% of revenues
Southern - $2.3M - 33.81% of revenues
ULM - $351k - 3.44% of revenue

2008-09 CONFERENCE & NCAA DISTRIBUTION (not impacted by state budget cuts)
Grambling - $278k - 4.49% of revenue
Louisiana-Lafayette - $596k - 4.92% of revenue
LSU - $13.5M - 13.38% of revenue
Louisiana Tech - $1.4M - 9.13% of revenue
McNeese State - $445.5k - 5.66% of revenue
Nicholls - $289k - 4.39% of revenue
Northwestern St - $405k - 4.14% of revenue
Southeastern La. - $663.5k - 6.64% of revenue
Southern - $430k - 6.29% of revenues
ULM - $719k - 7.04% of revenue

2008-09 TOTAL OPERATING EXPENSES
Grambling - $6.4M
Louisiana-Lafayette - $11.9M
LSU - $94.4M
Louisiana Tech - $16M
McNeese State - $7.8M
Nicholls - $6.5M
Northwestern State - $9.79M
Southeastern La. - $9.26M
Southern - $6.8M
ULM - $10.1M

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I found the data (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm) - finally.

In 2007-08, Southern received about 13 percent of their budget from state/institutional support. That total amounted to $953,704. Based on what we know, Southern cut at least $400k from that amount ahead of this fiscal year (2009-10) and presumably cut more during the 2008-09 fiscal year due to the budget cuts.

Not bad SUjagTILiDIE. You have been correct. Your school is not in the dire straits that I thought it to be in and for that, I was wrong. I do think your institution has made bad decisions and does not get the most 'bang' for your buck, but nonetheless that's a discussion for another day...

So - let's look at budget figures...adding Southern in shows they take more advantage of student fees, while getting substantially more NCAA/SWAC funds than Grambling. Of note, their budget is still behind their SLC counterparts with the exception of Nicholls...

Amazes me how schools do not 'tax' their students for athletics. Even a $100 athletic student fee per semester would generate some more $$$ to stabilize the programs, especially if the institutions maintain some sort of support moving forward.

LSU - $0 - 0% of revenue

Grambling - $6.4M
LSU - $94.4M
Louisiana Tech - $16M
McNeese State - $7.8M
Nicholls - $6.5M
Southern - $6.8M
ULM - $10.1M

xnodx

mikebigg
July 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Obsession is more than just the name of a cologne!

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
xnodx

SUjag,

Seems that Southern could cut to the minimum sports to make up for the absolute elimination of the remaining state/school support - which would put your budget in the $6M neighborhood. Has there been any talk about cutting down to 14 sports in 11-12 or beyond?

gram4life
July 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM

LSU - $0 - 0% of revenue

Grambling - $6.4M
LSU - $94.4M
Louisiana Tech - $16M
McNeese State - $7.8M
Nicholls - $6.5M
Southern - $6.8M
ULM - $10.1M

Hold up you already had this information, you posted it on the MEAC FAN ZONE. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hold up you already had this information, you posted it on the MEAC FAN ZONE. xlolx

Just got the Southern bit from 2007-08. Did not have that information...

gram4life
July 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Just got the Southern bit from 2007-08. Did not have that information...

OK TT, if you say so. I know what I read over at the other site. You agreed with Suja about this same thing on that site. This was atleast 2 weeks before you posted this information on AGS.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
OK TT, if you say so. I know what I read over at the other site. You agreed with Suja about this same thing on that site. This was atleast 2 weeks before you posted this information on AGS.

The information, sans Southern, was made available three weeks ago on AGS at the following link (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?58721-Louisiana-schools-facing-more-budget-problems&p=1529617&viewfull=1#post1529617). You'll note that nothing has changed from the three weeks ago post outside of the addition of our friends from Baton Rouge. I can assure you that I made the same post with the same info on the other site...

Gram4Life - any word on the cutting of the four sports at Grambling?

gram4life
July 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
The information, sans Southern, was made available three weeks ago on AGS at the following link (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?58721-Louisiana-schools-facing-more-budget-problems&p=1529617&viewfull=1#post1529617). You'll note that nothing has changed from the three weeks ago post outside of the addition of our friends from Baton Rouge. I can assure you that I made the same post with the same info on the other site...

Gram4Life - any word on the cutting of the four sports at Grambling?

still waiting for the shoe to drop.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
still waiting for the shoe to drop.

He did post this same info weeks ago. xlolxxlolx Plus McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern's budgets are all wrong. He increased their numbers, I guess trying to make them look better. xlolx

lilrj1919
July 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
He did post this same info weeks ago. xlolxxlolx Plus McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern's budgets are all wrong. He increased their numbers, I guess trying to make them look better. xlolx

Not surprised.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Are the numbers wrong?

I rounded up as is in the case of McNeese's $7,784,725.00 to $7.8M, but was using basic round-up skills, but nothing was truly an "increase" to make the numbers look better. Did you re-set the numbers to 2008-09 after looking at Southern's 2007-08?

Let me know if I made a mistake...

lionsrking2
July 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM

I highly question how they arrived at our numbers as well...no way we had a $9.26 million budget, and there's no way we received 6.86 million in direct institutional support...our entire budget is about that much...only thing I can think of is somehow our new press box renovation or weight room was added in...otherwise, it's not accurate as far as I know.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I highly question how they arrived at our numbers as well...no way we had a $9.26 million budget, and there's no way we received 6.86 million in direct institutional support...our entire budget is about that much...only thing I can think of is somehow our new press box renovation or weight room was added in...otherwise, it's not accurate as far as I know.

I was surprised to SLU's budget anywhere over $7.5-8M myself. These figures are presumably reported by the institutions.

http://www.ope.ed.gov/ lists SLU's expenses at 9,642,811 (which includes about $2.7M in non-allocated expenses), which would put you at $6,887,993, which is more in line with what I expected...

lionsrking2
July 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I was surprised to SLU's budget anywhere over $7.5-8M myself. These figures are presumably reported by the institutions.

http://www.ope.ed.gov/ lists SLU's expenses at 9,642,811 (which includes about $2.7M in non-allocated expenses), which would put you at $6,887,993, which is more in line with what I expected...

I guess the number used for that particular period could be technically correct, but it would be an anomoly and would not reflect our typical budget.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
TT and his number games. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Grambling is moving forward with cutting the four sports. Informed the student-athletes and coaches, but no public release yet. I'm curious if the other SWAC schools will 'cherry pick' who they want from those four teams. I think Jackson State was after Grambling's (and the SWAC's) top golfer...

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM
GoGrambling.com reports (http://twitter.com/GoGrambling/status/19866444887) that Grambling's budget went from $7.2M to 6.1M.

That's significant and I'd be led to believe that the cuts are a reduction in the school's general funding.

Still no official word on the four sports that I have been informed are no more.

lilrj1919
August 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
GoGrambling.com reports (http://twitter.com/GoGrambling/status/19866444887) that Grambling's budget went from $7.2M to 6.1M.

That's significant and I'd be led to believe that the cuts are a reduction in the school's general funding.

Still no official word on the four sports that I have been informed are no more.

From what i just heard, they only cut the golf programs.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
From what i just heard, they only cut the golf programs.

It's odd that there has not been anything formal at this point from the school.

Cutting sports is always negative news, but the school could 'spin' it positively saying that they are doing XYZ in looking towards the future and that the additional resources will help sports XYZ be more successful, competitive.

lilrj1919
August 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
It's odd that there has not been anything formal at this point from the school.

Cutting sports is always negative news, but the school could 'spin' it positively saying that they are doing XYZ in looking towards the future and that the additional resources will help sports XYZ be more successful, competitive.

Dr. Pogue hates negative things being released. He is an in house type of guy that lets the faculty, community, alumni and students know what's going on. I received an email this morning stating that the only programs that were cut were men's and women's golf and this is from someone who works in athletics.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Dr. Pogue hates negative things being released. He is an in house type of guy that lets the faculty, alumni and students know what's going on. I received an email this morning stating that the only programs that were cut were men's and women's golf and this is from someone who works in athletics.

They said it through the media...must've missed this one earlier.

Dawson said the athletic department budget was $7.2 million when he came to GSU in 2008. The projected athletics budget for the upcoming year is $6.1 million. Grambling has made several cuts to deal with the smaller budget, including eliminating its golf programs.

Credit: http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20100803/SPORTS/8030317/1122/GSU/Grambling-s-Dawson--Please--show-up

lilrj1919
August 3rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Cool it's good they could save the other programs this go round.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Read on YOGWF that SLU's athletic budget was cut $300k this year. Any confirmation on that? They said it was from a Northshore paper that I can not find a link to - the Conifer?

lilrj1919
August 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I still can't understand how a program that works with less, can get a big chunk of their athletic budget cut. Good ole, Louisiana politics.xshhhx

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Southern's Chancellor...

The process will not be easy. We must rebuild in the face of debilitating budget cuts. We must restore confidence in our business despite meager funds for operations. We must increase enrollment in New Orleans and Baton Rouge despite better funded competition in both cities. We must raise money in the face of a teetering economy. In other words, we will have to rely on our ability to be twice as good with half as much.

http://www.sus.edu/Images/Interior/news_media/sus_newsletter_summer_08_10.pdf

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Southern's Chancellor...

That was not from SU's Chancellor. It was from the SU System's President. Two different people. The Chancellor is only over SUBR. The System President is over SUBR, SUNO, SUS, Law School, Nursing School, and Ag Center. :)

lilrj1919
August 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
GRAMBLING — Grambling State University plans to implement furloughs for some employees ranging from one day to 12 days depending on salary and ask an undetermined number of year-round employees to work only nine months of the year, the university announced at a public meeting Wednesday morning.

In addition, GSU officials said the university is planning to lay off about 20 employees in 2011 in response to continuing state budget cuts and the loss of federal stimulus funding.

GSU also plans to merge some academic programs, restrict merit increases, continue a hiring freeze for all but essential personnel, continue a limited freeze on overtime, initiate an early retirement program, restructure its laboratory schools and transportation systems and implement a campus-wide energy conservation program aimed at reducing energy consumption by 15 percent.

Some of the longer range saving measures will be rolled out over two years.

GSU expects the plan, which must be approved by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors, to save $10 million over two years.

GSU President Frank Pogue told a crowd of about 200 packed into the School of Nursing auditorium that the university will present the budget-cutting plan to the board later this month.

read more.... http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...ES01/100811021

JagHammer
August 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
That was not from SU's Chancellor. It was from the SU System's President. Two different people. The Chancellor is only over SUBR. The System President is over SUBR, SUNO, SUS, Law School, Nursing School, and Ag Center. :)

I don't think he wants to see that. xnodx

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Further trouble in paradise for Louisiana universities. Regardless if these are exercises or actual practices, the fact they are calling for schools to see what 35% cuts are does make one queasy...

To: Broadcast_LSU_Faculty_Staff
Subject: New Budget Exercise

From: Mike Martin, Chancellor, and John Hamilton, Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor
To: LSU faculty and staff
Date: August 19, 2010
Re: New Budget Exercise

Today, we received instructions from the state to go through yet another budget exercise with the requirement that we project a funding reduction of 35 percent for the 2011-12 fiscal year, the equivalent of $74 million for LSU. Having endured three budget cuts in the last 20 months, the consequences of an additional cut of this magnitude would be catastrophic for LSU.

We have until September 15 to submit our report, and we will be working up until the very last minute to determine how we would achieve such an extraordinary reduction in funding. The current exercise to determine a potential 23 percent cut is proving to be excruciating. To reduce the university’s budget by 35 percent would be ruinous to LSU for generations.

We will keep you informed as we proceed.

Rest assured we will communicate clearly and forcefully the consequences of these cuts and the devastating impact they would have not only for the university but also for the state it serves.

And since there's no way I can provide a link to the above, I can provide a link to a news story...

Higher education officials around the state have to find a way to cut 35 percent of their school's budget for the next year in an exercise to determine funding priorities.

Schools were instructed Thursday by the Louisiana Board of Regents to create a plan where about 35 percent of their budgets would be slashed, including the ending of federal stimulus dollars.

The scenarios are called exercises and are not the actual cuts for the 2011-2012 fiscal year. However, schools were asked to do this by Sept. 15. The directive came through the state's Division of Administration.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100821/NEWS04/8210331/Colleges-asked-to-list-cuts-as-an-exercise

JagHammer
August 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Southern's Chancellor...

Hmm.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
The 35% cuts are looking more and more realistic...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/102241869.html

The impact on athletics? Athletic budgets are going to get even tighter, if not squashed tremendously. Tuition will increase because the only way to help with the costs will be to raise tuition. And the state and direct institutional support will dwindle as universities have to re-proportion their monies to keep academic programs afloat...

Southern and LSU are probably the ones that will hurt the least of the schools remaining Division I - though Southern already works as Greg LaFleur says on "bare bones", but they'll have company in misery (if not schools in much worst shape) soon.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Bottom line is this! Peveto will be back next season because we are scheduled to play LSU next season. This is just the honest truth. If we improve this season, he will help himself towards next year. If we flop again next year, he will be out the door and we can start over. If we are even better next year, he will be on board for another year.....Our big problem right now is OC. We need one...anyone interested can send their resume to the Athletic Department.

NWST does not have the money to buy out a coach and that little pool of money the school does have to run an athletic program will whittle next year with the 35 percent cuts across the state... Peveto is there until his contract runs up or gets a job elsewhere.

jhanel
September 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM
All I have to say is FORK TEXAS, and I was born and raised in Texas. NSU and all Louisiana schools may have cuts coming, but we will be fine. Maybe some more research should be done on what Texas has coming. Your going to get yours too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhZ52vVK-I

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
All I have to say is FORK TEXAS, and I was born and raised in Texas. NSU and all Louisiana schools may have cuts coming, but we will be fine. Maybe some more research should be done on what Texas has coming. Your going to get yours too. :)

jhanel - have you not read this thread?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?58721-Louisiana-schools-facing-more-budget-problems/page30

The Louisiana schools are already operating with one hand tied behind their back. It will only get worse. Your school is one of those who rely on state/institutional support for more than 50% of your athletic budget (see $5.1M/52.77% (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?58721-Louisiana-schools-facing-more-budget-problems&p=1534650&viewfull=1#post1534650)).

You guys won't be fine! There are greater problems. Even if you say, athletics is okay. What about academics? It'll be tough to recruit to your institutions when programs are being cut left and right. When class sizes are packed and when it is hard to get into classes in order to graduate in 4-6 years.

And will Texas schools be impacted? Yes. But their cuts are miniscule to what has happened in Louisiana and they already have more gap to deal with compared to those in Louisiana. The Louisiana schools have always relied on more state support (particularly in the last 10-15 years) to run their campuses, athletic departments than Texas schools. The Texas schools get so much of their athletic funding from student fees while the schools in Lousiana do not.

There are legitimate concerns in the Southland Conference that Nicholls, Southeastern and Northwestern State may cease to exist as Div I schools. In fact, it was mentioned as a reason that SHSU could have its hands forced to go FBS - because they'd rather not compete in a Div I Lonestar Conference if those teams are brought in to replace the Louisiana schools.

But hey, what do I know? I'm probably the only Texas school alum in the SLC that knows just as much about the Louisiana situation as the Texas situation. And have been explaining the financial situation and gaps that have put the Louisiana schools in a bad spot... go figure!

jhanel
September 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yes, I have read the thread and most thats stated is ASSumed, accept the guaranteed budget cuts. Everything that is written is not always true. Most of this is worst case scenario. If the Universities do not get their stuff straight then they will fail. Bring on more cuts I know that is true, but everything has already been put into place to take care of that. DONE DEAL! Even the upcoming ones. NO WORRIES! You would not know because it has not been written about. We are ahead of the curve and I can only say as NSU goes, we will be fine. Texas has their time coming, very soon, and its a lot worse than you think. FORK'EM!

Oh an your comment, "In fact, it was mentioned as a reason that SHSU could have its hands forced to go FBS..." Our situation was considered as highly unlikely. Just talk. YOU say it is the MOST LIKELY and WILL happen. Spin, Spin, Spin, anyway you like. I hope the SLC Texas schools lose every game to the intellectually challenged, soon to be defunct, trash of the Southland, Louisiana Schools this year.

Oh an another ASSume, quote, "You guys won't be fine! There are greater problems, Even if you "SAY, ATHLETICS IS OKAY"...."
I never said that. You said that. Yes we will be fine! Academics will only get better! And we are on top of all of the program cuts and all that. We have been nothing but pro active and will be just fine. The ones doing nothing are the ones who should be worried... go figure!

NSUDemon98
September 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes, I have read the thread and most thats stated is ASSumed, accept the guaranteed budget cuts. Everything that is written is not always true. Most of this is worst case scenario. If the Universities do not get their stuff straight then they will fail. Bring on more cuts I know that is true, but everything has already been put into place to take care of that. DONE DEAL! Even the upcoming ones. NO WORRIES! You would not know because it has not been written about. We are ahead of the curve and I can only say as NSU goes, we will be fine. Texas has their time coming, very soon, and its a lot worse than you think. FORK'EM!

Oh an your comment, "In fact, it was mentioned as a reason that SHSU could have its hands forced to go FBS..." Our situation was considered as highly unlikely. Just talk. YOU say it is the MOST LIKELY and WILL happen. Spin, Spin, Spin, anyway you like. I hope the SLC Texas schools lose every game to the intellectually challenged, soon to be defunct, trash of the Southland, Louisiana Schools this year.

Oh an another ASSume, quote, "You guys won't be fine! There are greater problems, Even if you "SAY, ATHLETICS IS OKAY"...."
I never said that. You said that. Yes we will be fine! Academics will only get better! And we are on top of all of the program cuts and all that. Way a head of everyone else, and have been nothing but pro active and will be just fine. The ones doing nothing are the ones who should be worried... go figure!

The other part being TexasTerror WANTS us to cease to exist...he isn't aware that NSU is still operating $2,000,000 ahead of where it's total budget was just s short 3 years ago. He also isn't aware that of all the SLC schools, NSU is used to operating with barely nothing and it's hands tied by it's budget more than any other.

In 2008 NSU's budget was FINALLY increased to the Southern Regional avg. by $12,000,000+...point is, this is a budget that NSU is already used to dealing with. Our budget is $2,000,000 ahead of where it was in 2007.

Budget cuts are gonna hurt, a lot, some schools more than others...but we aren't just gonna give up and fold up the tent like SOME PEOPLE want!

Hopefully Jindal is out after his term is up and Louisiana will elect a Gov. that will not cut every single freaking tax available. I don't like paying taxes in Texas...but when I drive on our roads, get a decent pay check as a teacher, have budgets to fund education...the trade off is pretty good.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
You'd be surprised... I have talked to individuals around the state and with the NCAA.

I'm not going to give specifics, but the situation is not as positive going forward as you think. The 35 percent cuts may be the worst case scenario, but talking to people who track the Louisiana Legislature and lobby, many think that the cuts will definitely fall between 25 and 35 percent. I am not addressing closing schools, but I am talking about substantial cuts to the institutional support to athletics that schools - including YOURS - are able to breath on.

The other part being TexasTerror WANTS us to cease to exist...

That's a fallacy of logic on your part. I think that higher education (and education in general) is critical, especially in a state where my wife and I plan to have kids and raise a family. I'd prefer that education gets its act together and do not necessarily agree that consolidating schools is ideal. The best means would be for each school to have their specific programs of valor or distinction. Sure - you can have business and education degrees at every school - but does every school need a History program? A sports administration program? Engineering? A mass communications program? No. There's too much overlap and that's what hurting these schools.

Budget cuts are gonna hurt, a lot, some schools more than others...but we aren't just gonna give up and fold up the tent like SOME PEOPLE want!

I do not want any tent folding... I'd love to see people raising up to fight the cuts. Unfortunately, the efforts do not do much good when by constitution, health care and education are greatly exposed and poor planning by the legislators (namely repealing the Stelly Tax) has further crippled the state's ability to foot the bill...

The problem is reality stinks and as much as we'd want the cuts to be avoidable, they are going to be painful and deep...

jhanel
September 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
You'd be surprised... I have talked to individuals around the state and with the NCAA.

I'm not going to give specifics, but the situation is not as positive going forward as you think.

You'd also be surprised...I'm not going to give specifics, but the situation, (with Northwestern State University is Very positive going forward, much more than you think). I do not know about the other schools, other than what I have read, and I do not put to much into that. NSU is in a VERY GOOD Situation, considering what is going on. NSU will only be better and stronger after this. We have been pro-active before this became a problem and will survive and thrive because of it. Believe That!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
You'd also be surprised...I'm not going to give specifics, but the situation, (with Northwestern State University is Very positive going forward, much more than you think). I do not know about the other schools, other than what I have read, and I do not put to much into that. NSU is in a VERY GOOD Situation, considering what is going on. NSU will only be better and stronger after this. We have been pro-active before this became a problem and will survive and thrive because of it. Believe That!

I've asked the mods to move this to the other thread, but I really do not see how any institution - LSU included - can come out better and stronger after the cuts that have occured and the planned cuts that each public state institution is preparing for...

If NSU is in a difference place than LSU, which is the flagship of the state, I'd be surprised.

NSUDemon98
September 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM

I'm not going to give specifics, but the situation is not as positive going forward as you think. The 35 percent cuts may be the worst case scenario, but talking to people who track the Louisiana Legislature and lobby, many think that the cuts will definitely fall between 25 and 35 percent. I am not addressing closing schools, but I am talking about substantial cuts to the institutional support to athletics that schools - including YOURS - are able to breath on.

That's a fallacy of logic on your part. I think that higher education (and education in general) is critical, especially in a state where my wife and I plan to have kids and raise a family. I'd prefer that education gets its act together and do not necessarily agree that consolidating schools is ideal. The best means would be for each school to have their specific programs of valor or distinction. Sure - you can have business and education degrees at every school - but does every school need a History program? A sports administration program? Engineering? A mass communications program? No. There's too much overlap and that's what hurting these schools.

I do not want any tent folding... I'd love to see people raising up to fight the cuts. Unfortunately, the efforts do not do much good when by constitution, health care and education are greatly exposed and poor planning by the legislators (namely repealing the Stelly Tax) has further crippled the state's ability to foot the bill...

The problem is reality stinks and as much as we'd want the cuts to be avoidable, they are going to be painful and deep...

Only time will tell who ends up being correct...for NSU's sake I hope things turn the way I feel they will, rather than how you are predicting.

The cuts hurt, no one is denying that...I am just making you aware of what some individuals may not know, especially with the NCAA who do not have intimate knowledge of NSU's budget and history. The cuts have hurt and will continue to hurt...but for now we're still $2,000,000...other schools can't say that.

My problem is...the way you say some of the stuff you say...with such fervor that it appears that you WANT some of this crap to come about just for the sake of being "right".

NSUDemon98
September 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
He said "NSU is in a VERY GOOD situation, considering what's going on"

I am close personal friends with a Dept. Head at NSU and he feels that once Jindal is out and some of our funding is restored (who knows how many years that will be) NSU will be a stronger institution.

Instead of moving the entire thread how about we get back to SLC - Week 3?

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Article on Nicholls State protests... and discussion to rally against the steep budget cuts. Problem for Nicholls, as it is everyone else - since 2008, 29 percent of the schools' finances have been stripped - and the next cut is looking like it will be over 30 percent in a swing swoop...

http://www.wwltv.com/home/Nicholls-students-faculty-rally-to-protest-steep-budget-cuts-103727284.html

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Nicholls is not the only school facing these issues and has not been the only school. Everyone has been impacted (outside of Northwestern State per some of the above posters however)...

Will give the schools administrators credit, they've been very vocal in the last few weeks and that takes a lot, because not all schools would be willing to put their neck on the line...

Nicholls State is dead.

At least, somebody, or bodies, in Baton Rouge is trying to kill it.

The question is why. Since 2008 the Louisiana Legislature, with the approval of Gov. Bobby Jindal, has seen fit - supposedly in the name of efficiency - to cut Nicholls' budget 29.4 percent or $10.6 million. Try living on your present salary with a 30 percent cut and see how it affects you. Now, in typical Louisiana fashion, the Legislature is considering a possible 35 percent cut on top of that.

Upon hearing the news, Larry Howell, special assistant to Nicholls President Stephen Hulbert, put it succinctly: "An additional 35 percent cut will devastate this institution and cause irreversible harm."

http://www.tri-parishtimes.com/articles/2010/09/30/your_voice/columns/guest%20columnists/093_51_lloydchiassonnichollsstateonlifesupport.txt

NSUDemon98
October 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
(outside of Northwestern State per some of the above posters however)...

Yep...that's exactly what was said *sarcasm*...

You are so freakin' petty!!!

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
If I read this correctly, you guys are in a much different situation...

What am I to believe? I'm going on Jeff's information and bypassing information available to everyone that we should expect 35% cuts at all institutions of higher education in the state. Until you guys or the media explain what sets Northwestern State aside from other schools in the state on how it is minimizing cuts - especially pertaining to athletics (new sponsors, increased athletic fee, crazy guarantees for basketball, etc.) - hard to size up your claims.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Article suggests Grambling, La Tech and ULM are in bad situations... and more importantly, the "continued practice of transferring funds to athletics—funds needed more than ever for academics—is equally unrealistic. And unfair. It’s time for sanity to prevail."

Grambling also operated at an overall deficit for its football program. With ticket sales and game guarantees totaling $1,570,000 against expenses of $1,730,433 and women’s athletic expenses of $1,424,971 against revenues of only $153,250, GSU found it necessary to transfer $1,611,598 to balance its $5,423,584 athletic budget.

In short, the bloated athletic programs of the three schools are becoming a serious drain on academics. With anticipated budget cuts mandated by Governor Jindal, it’s time the three universities take a critical look at their respective priorities. More cuts are coming and it’s going to hurt. It’s already hurting. There is simply no way the academic programs can withstand further transfers of millions of dollars to prop up reeling, stumbling, faltering athletic programs.

http://louisianavoice.com/2010/10/03/louisiana-tech-delusions-of-football-mediocrity/

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Letter to the editor trying to get the attention of the sports fans. If LSU is going to be in ruins, wouldn't all schools in the state also be in the same shape? LSU is afterall the flagship while schools like Northwestern State, Grambling, etc. are not...

How sweet it is to be back in Tiger Stadium, watching a nationally competitive football team. But few Tiger fans seem to grasp the fact that unless our governor and Legislature take immediate action, LSU will by next season cease to be a nationally competitive university.

Budget cuts expected next year (33 percent-38 percent) will reduce LSU to ruins. Even half that amount would be catastrophic, because LSU has already suffered massive cuts since 2008. If you think Tiger athletics are immune to this disaster, think again. By next year, many majors preferred by athletes will be gone; with uncollected trash, unmowed lawns and vacant buildings on campus, recruiting will become impossible, especially when prospects can go to states where people value higher education. So enjoy this season, Tiger fans.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/104391089.html

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
It's moving from a cliff to a canyon ... don't know if other states are looking at this severe of budget cuts (35%) ... how are things in Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee?

State Agencies Looking At Another Budget Cut (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20101007/NEWS01/10070323/State-agencies-looking-at-another-budget-cut)

GeauxLions94
October 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
University of Louisiana System President Randy Moffett (former SLU president) puts in his two cents on what's happening with the higher education budget cuts ... the problem with what's going on now is 1.) the state legislature requires 2/3's vote to raise tuition and 2.) the state constitution protects most areas from budget cuts with the exception of health care and higher education.

With $290 million slashed from higher education over the last two years and another $289 million cliff looming in 2012 when federal stimulus dollars go away, Louisiana's schools look to be short $579 million. That's almost 40 percent less state funding than colleges and universities had on July 1, 2008, which was the first time in three decades Louisiana reached the regional average in funding.

As currently forecast, getting to those reductions will be painful. Although our campuses continue to plan for the bleakest of scenarios, continued reductions may impede us from offering top quality higher education and directly impact Louisiana's workforce.

In the University of Louisiana System, our eight universities have already laid off 465 people, cut 600 positions and furloughed 800 employees. We've also cut programs, grown online courses, established cost-savings practices and reduced spending. We are now facing choices that may negatively impact the performance of our universities and the ability for many students to complete their undergraduate and graduate degrees.

So what is the solution? The answer is simple economics: let the consumer drive the price of higher education.

Louisiana is the only state in the country that requires a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to raise tuition. As a result, tuition rates at our colleges and universities have remained well below their peers even with modest authorized increases.

This fall Southeastern Louisiana University will charge $4,169 for tuition and fees, while peer institutions in Texas charge $6,715 and Arkansas charge $7,261.

Randy Moffett Letter To the Editor (http://www.hammondstar.com/articles/2010/10/04/opinion/letters/9079.txt)

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
University of Louisiana System President Randy Moffett (former SLU president) puts in his two cents on what's happening with the higher education budget cuts ... the problem with what's going on now is 1.) the state legislature requires 2/3's vote to raise tuition and 2.) the state constitution protects most areas from budget cuts with the exception of health care and higher education.

Those are great points...

The reason the Louisiana folks don't want to raise tuition is because they continue to fund TOPS. People complain about the tuition they pay now, but Louisiana may be the cheapest state in the United States to get an education between TOPS and the low tuition. It's an absolute joke. There's tons of people in this state who pay more in one year for their child to go to private school than they will for four, five years of higher education.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
No word on athletic cuts, but several schools in Louisiana are laying off faculty/staff in the next few weeks. Southeastern Louisiana is going to half-day Fridays in order to save on utility costs. Lots of schools cutting travel - considering you can't cut athletics travel, most of the travel that still remains has to be from the admissions department. How can schools recruit students? They need those tuition dollars!

Southern struggles more because it lacks funding reserves and staffing levels already are limited, he said.

“Either there’s an effort to destroy Southern University or a severe lack of appreciation of Southern’s contributions to the state,” Lomotey said.

He said he fears a second round of mid-year cuts in January and much larger cuts next summer when federal stimulus dollars run dry.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/education/105501363.html

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Worth keeping tabs on as I have said before...

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20101107/articles/101109418?p=2&tc=pg

The notion the athletics department can exist in a vacuum without cuts is also not rational, said Paul Leslie, a recently retired Nicholls history professor.

“If you cut money from the university in the future, you should cut athletics,” said Leslie, who proposes Nicholls drop to Division III to save money and be more competitive.

“It’s natural to have these discussions,” said Tom Burnett, commissioner of the Southland Conference, which includes Nicholls and 11 other universities in Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas. “Sometimes it’s simple to point to athletics and presume if you dropped athletics all that money would go to the university on the athletic side. But that’s not accurate.”

jhanel
November 8th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Worth noting, from the same article...

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20101107/articles/101109418?p=2&tc=pg

In the face of the budget cuts, the athletic department is not considering cutting positions.

Eliminating the athletics department would free $3 million, or about 5 percent of the overall university budget, but it would cost the university hundreds of students and dozens of employees, Bernardi said.

“To suggest cutting (5 percent) of the entire university budget is going to save the university is not rational,” Bernardi said.

For 15 years, the university’s athletics department has hosted the Manning Passing Academy, which not only brings hundreds of youth football players to Thibodaux but dozens of members of the national media and top college and professional athletes, Bernardi said. The university also hosted the Patterson-Redemptorist high school football game this year, which played on ESPNU, a network available in millions of households nationwide.

“Those would never be here but for our athletics,” Bernardi said.

“Going to Division III doesn’t save us any money,”

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I do not see any athletic departments just cutting athletics here in Louisiana...

The article mentions that the administration believes the school has been competitive and then the article shows W-L records, results from the Colonels in the major sports.

And regarding Division II - every trip in the new Gulf South Conference would be eight hours or less... which is less stringent travel than the Southland is now for Nicholls. Problem is, closest trip is probably Pensacola, Fla. (and Nicholls does have SEVERAL easy trips right now) and as the Nicholls AD acknowledges - the guarantee games are just not there at the Div II level - especially the heavy price.

Nicholls will just have to keep scheduling two or three guarantee FB games and playing numerous hoops games for $$$. They've always played more guarantee games than the rest of the SLC as is.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I do not see any athletic departments just cutting athletics here in Louisiana...

The article mentions that the administration believes the school has been competitive and then the article shows W-L records, results from the Colonels in the major sports.

And regarding Division II - every trip in the new Gulf South Conference would be eight hours or less... which is less stringent travel than the Southland is now for Nicholls. Problem is, closest trip is probably Pensacola, Fla. (and Nicholls does have SEVERAL easy trips right now) and as the Nicholls AD acknowledges - the guarantee games are just not there at the Div II level - especially the heavy price.

Nicholls will just have to keep scheduling two or three guarantee FB games and playing numerous hoops games for $$$. They've always played more guarantee games than the rest of the SLC as is.

As it stands now, Nicholls has a two-hour trip to Hammond, a 2.5 hour trip to Lake Chrles, a 3.5 hour trip to Natchitoches, a 3.5 hour trip to Lamar, a five hour trip to Huntsvegas and a 5 hour trip to Nacho-no-where. UCA and Corpus are the outliers at 9-10 hours each.

If P-cola is the closest contest in the Gulf States, and then you've got all those Arkansas Schools, I'm not sure how that would save Nicholls anything at all. Seems to me that it would be more expensive.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Southeastern La. is trying to get a $50 a semester or $100 a year athletic fee approved. Curious if this will replace state/institutional support to athletics or be in addition to what they already have...

Either way, a strong sign for SLU in their quest to retain the funding necessary to be Div I...

http://hammondstar.com/articles/2010/12/02/top_stories/education/5705.txt

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Instead of the 30 percent or more... they are now saying the budget cuts will be 5-10%. That is more tolerable for the La. schools who were looking at massive cuts to their institutions, though no cuts are ever easy... AND this is just for this year. What about next year? Time will tell, but glad the La. schools get essentially a "pass" this year.

As I have informed you on several occasions before, most schools in La. receive 40-60% of their budget from state and institutional funds. The only Div I schools in the state who do not receive money at that high a rate are Southern (B.R.) and LSU.

Even though the budget cuts are avoided and the possible impact on athletics is much more minimal than imagined, these schools still operate at a disadvantage against the other schools in the Southland from Texas, who rely heavily on student athletic fees.

Even in the Sun Belt, UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe are at the bottom of the funding totem pole (and subsequently, at the bottom of the all-sport standings). For the SWAC schools - Grambling and Southern - they do not have as much a disadvantage because the conference is so poorly funded (after the Texas schools) with one school - Mississippi Valley - ranking as the lowest Div I scholarship school with $3.3M to their name (of which, per NCAA rules - at least $1.2M goes to scholarships).

jhanel
January 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Two Points :)

1.) Will NSU athletics/campus, fold after donations, new buildings go up, and 5-10% budget cuts,

http://www.nsudemons.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205054467&DB_OEM_ID=20000

2.) What about Texas schools? Is this over hype? Is Louisiana budget cuts over hype? Are the news outlets making up news so they can qualify, why they are paying people? What do I know? Im just a Joe.

Texans may want to talk about this. We all know about our state budget deficit here in Louisiana, which is about $1.6 billion. We wondered how Louisiana schools, which have been experiencing cuts, could compete with Texas, which was supposed to be recession proof.

Turns out, that was a farce. Because Texas only turns in a budget every other year, they were able to hide behind old budget numbers when the bottom dropped out. Now the numbers are in and the deficit is $25 BILLION dollars. They have a budget hole similar to California, where the deficit is $25.4 billion. Really, California has a much larger GDP, so the Texas deficit may be worse than in California.

This is a disaster nobody is talking about. When you start talking budget problems comparable to California, that's a real problem.

So cuts have to be on the way, especially in a conservative state like Texas where raising taxes is out of the question, especially in already highly-taxed wealthier areas where people pay a ton for local schools, etc. They won't add any new or increased state taxes on top of that.

There are already people screaming for education to be spared from the cuts, but we know they are coming.

So, this all builds up to this question: How will this affect Sam Houston, Lamar, SFA, Texas State as it looks to move up, etc.? And, to take it a step further. If "recession-proof" Texas is going to experience cuts, who will be spared?

In a strange way, this is encouraging for Louisiana schools from the standpoint of, at least you know you aren't alone in your struggle.

Of course, there are the usual Louisiana laws that make it tougher for athletics to withstand the budget deficit. For example, we know how much Texas State raises in student fees to support athletics, something you can't do in Louisiana.

worrierking
January 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM
The 25 million dollar figure for Texas is a worst-case scenario and is based on spending that nobody actually forsees. The Dallas Morning News suggests the deficit is really more like 15 Billion. The state has a nine billion dollar rainy day fund, although the governor is stating he will not dip into it. The deficit in Texas is about 17%of projected revenues (worst case scenario) while California's is 29%. Texas has some serious budget issues and Governor Perry has been less than transparent over the last few months, but their issues are nowhere near California's (or New Jersey's or Illinois'). I'm sure the shortfall will have some impact on the Texas schools.

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Update... heard today that Louisiana schools may avoid the large pinch in 2011-12 that they were expecting, but most of the reason for the lower number is a lot of one-time deals (i.e. selling the prisons). The universities have been told to expect another pinch mid-year and a large pinch at the close of the 11-12 fiscal year as they turn their heads to 12-13...

1.) Will NSU athletics/campus, fold after donations, new buildings go up, and 5-10% budget cuts

I doubt Northwestern State shuts its campus. The state will have a hard time shutting any campuses down. The budget cuts will hurt and I can see sevearl schools changing their funding approach - whether increasing student fees to replace school/state monies or finding other methods to fund their departments.

2.) What about Texas schools? Is this over hype? Is Louisiana budget cuts over hype? Are the news outlets making up news so they can qualify, why they are paying people? What do I know? Im just a Joe.

Texas budget cuts are over-hyped and of course, the Texas schools fund their athletic programs in a way vastly different than Louisiana schools.

The numbers do not lie. Louisiana schools at the Div I level with the exception of Southern and LSU rely for 40-60 percent of their athletic budget on money from their universities. The funding mechanisms do not favor the athletic departments, unless the school continues to commit this support.

ULL and ULM rank at the bottom of the Sun Belt in funding and success. The Southland schools in Louisiana are experiencing wider gaps between them and their Texas counterparts. I guess it is a good thing for them that UTSA and TXST are leaving, but that just means some D2 schools in Texas will move up. Those schools will certainly - particularly if they raise student fees, already surpass their Div I counterparts in Louisiana.

Texans may want to talk about this. We all know about our state budget deficit here in Louisiana, which is about $1.6 billion. We wondered how Louisiana schools, which have been experiencing cuts, could compete with Texas, which was supposed to be recession proof.

The Louisiana schools have not competed... period. Outside of McNeese in football, which Sun Belt or Southland school has maintained a consistent level of success in winning conference titles and reaching the postseason? The SWAC is not included since the league contains schools that's athletic departments are grossly underfunded from neighboring states (see Mississippi and Alabama schools). In the last decade, times have changed and the gap has widened.

So cuts have to be on the way, especially in a conservative state like Texas where raising taxes is out of the question, especially in already highly-taxed wealthier areas where people pay a ton for local schools, etc. They won't add any new or increased state taxes on top of that.

Again... Texas schools have a different funding mechansim, rely on different means for funding athletics and have higher tuition than Louisiana (the tuition issue is Louisiana's biggest problems - too many people whining against rises in tuition, when they play amples more for private schools!).

Of course, there are the usual Louisiana laws that make it tougher for athletics to withstand the budget deficit. For example, we know how much Texas State raises in student fees to support athletics, something you can't do in Louisiana.

Exactly...

jhanel
January 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Of course its not overhype if its Louisiana, but it is overhype if its Texas. LOL!!!

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Of course its not overhype if its Louisiana, but it is overhype if its Texas. LOL!!!

It is... based on the discussion of collegiate athletics in Texas and Louisiana.

Comes back down to the funding mechanisms. I've worked in Louisiana and seen first-hand how things are done in Texas. The Louisiana schools feel more of the pinch from budget cuts from an athletic standpoint than do their counterparts in Texas.

If Lousiana schools were not so darn dependent on state funding to handle their athletic departments, it would be different. Considering Louisiana schools have been told to brace for the budget cliff in 2012, now that it has been pushed off a year with the one-time fix-up (again - the prisons, amongst others), I have got to feel that Louisiana is more legitimate with Texas being overhyped.

jhanel
January 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM
2011 the state of Louisiana dies, oh wait, here is a pass, 2012 the state of Louisiana dies, oh wait, something else, 2013 the state of Louisiana dies, etc.

Whatever. I dont believe in half truths, manipulated information, information taken out of context, or speculation. Oh wait, that is what news is today. Anything for a story, There is no News unless its bad news, right.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Jeff -

It is hard to have a conversation about funding with you when you run away from actual fact - i.e. the funding formulas in place for Texas and Louisiana that protect the athletic departments in Texas more than anything and the Louisiana government's quick fix - and continue to harp on what you feel is misinformation and speculation.

jhanel
January 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
You always run away from actual fact. People on this board think you actual know whats going on at Universities in the State of Louisiana, or Louisiana itself. That you have some kind of inside information, that you get from people. That is a farse. You know just enough information to be toxic and to cause damage to something that is trying to fix itself. You seem to enjoy slamming a State and its problems when its down. Not once have I heard you put a big effort into how much brighter the future will be, with a little help from everyone. You seem as if you want all of this bad stuff to happen, that you have some agenda and selfish purpose. Take just a small bit of your faith in Texas and give it to Louisiana. Please. This is me being 100% honest. Please, stop making a bad situation, seem worse than it really is. I do not want to think of you as a cancer, because outside of what you have to say about the state of Louisiana, you have some really good information and points. Most of them positive. I enjoy reading them, but this is just non sense, and I for one am tired of theory's being stated as facts. So, for the third time Please stop. Give some of your positive love and research of Texas to Louisiana. If you look for the postives that are going on, with this situation, you will find just as much theory, or fact, as you do for the negative. Thank you.

Jeff Hanel

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Jeff -

Hard to be positive, when I see the handicap placed on the Louisiana schools' athletic departments and see how Louisiana handles tuition. Until the state "mans up" and fixes the hardship they have placed on their universities, there is not much to be excited for.

On that note, an editorial from the Times Pic... with a reference to NWST. The lawmakers are the big problem here...

The Board of Regents still needs to come up with a plan for a higher education system that our state's economy can sustain for the long run. And lawmakers need to recognize that they have been part of the problem, as when they upgraded LSU at Alexandria to four-year status in 2001, even though a public university exists in Natchitoches.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2011/01/louisianas_higher_education_sy.html

jhanel
January 14th, 2011, 10:15 AM
And people are trying to fix it, Be positive, smile, it will make a difference in your life.

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
And people are trying to fix it, Be positive, smile, it will make a difference in your life.

I'm trying to fix it as well... unfortunately, you and I will have to topple the entire Louisiana Legislature with people who understand how to fix higher education in the state. People in Louisiana are so diehard in their ways... the most popular theory being that they expect things to be handed to them when it comes to higher education...

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Geez... Southern charges roughly $450 a year for an athletic fee. The students are completely footing the bill to keep athletics Division I, let alone intact in Baton Rouge...

The amounts of the fees are still being decided, Sumner said. He said they should have “expiration dates.” The current athletics fee is $446 a year.

http://theadvocate.com/news/education/425000-64/layoffs-fees-part-of-su.html

Catmendue2
July 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
You always run away from actual fact. People on this board think you actual know whats going on at Universities in the State of Louisiana, or Louisiana itself. That you have some kind of inside information, that you get from people. That is a farse. You know just enough information to be toxic and to cause damage to something that is trying to fix itself. You seem to enjoy slamming a State and its problems when its down. Not once have I heard you put a big effort into how much brighter the future will be, with a little help from everyone. You seem as if you want all of this bad stuff to happen, that you have some agenda and selfish purpose. Take just a small bit of your faith in Texas and give it to Louisiana. Please. This is me being 100% honest. Please, stop making a bad situation, seem worse than it really is. I do not want to think of you as a cancer, because outside of what you have to say about the state of Louisiana, you have some really good information and points. Most of them positive. I enjoy reading them, but this is just non sense, and I for one am tired of theory's being stated as facts. So, for the third time Please stop. Give some of your positive love and research of Texas to Louisiana. If you look for the postives that are going on, with this situation, you will find just as much theory, or fact, as you do for the negative. Thank you.

Jeff Hanel

Glad, I am not the only one that knows he is full of it. He does have an agenda and it full of lies, and his warped imagination creates a major portion of his lies.

DG Cowboy
July 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Guess McNeese will have to tear down the 8 million dollar Field House redo because we apparently can't pay for it, based on this forum.

Seems Texas folks would be more concerned about Gov. Perry's value-added model for university profs resulting in 400 student English 101 instructors being more valuable in generating money than Full Professor research faculty who only teach a couple dozen students per semester and do research.

We know how to live in a Banana Republic.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
I opened this post's discussion again after talking about Southern's athletic fee which is mind-boggling compared to the rest of Louisiana...

Glad, I am not the only one that knows he is full of it. He does have an agenda and it full of lies, and his warped imagination creates a major portion of his lies.

What is my agenda? When I compare the difference between student fees in Texas versus those in Louisiana, it is clear that the schools west of the Sabine River have a very different away of funding their program. Outside of Southern's $450 student athletic fee (that is going up), there's no institution in the state that gets half that amount.

Student fees make a world of difference and as Zem points out on GeauxCowboys.com today - http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=12432.1 - just how much a difference there is between institutional support/student fees for TX schools in the SLC vs Louisiana schools.

Guess McNeese will have to tear down the 8 million dollar Field House redo because we apparently can't pay for it, based on this forum.

I think McNeese is actually the institution in the state amongst FCS ones that is the best off under the current model of how institutions run their athletic budgets in the state... a large part of it has to do with the support that you have built up over the years and the true focus of Lake Charles on McNeese athletics (particularly football). With such a big city (particularly compared to Monroe, Natchitoches, Hammond, Grambling and Thibodaux) behind you - which is exactly the case in Lafayette, La. when they win - it definitely helps.

rocket
July 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Geez... Southern charges roughly $450 a year for an athletic fee. The students are completely footing the bill to keep athletics Division I, let alone intact in Baton Rouge...

So when texas schools pay for twice the amount of a schools athletic budget its awesome and completely fine but as soon as a Louisiana SWAC school does it its somehow wrong? Isn't this type of fee exactly what you've been wanting in every other one of your posts (it raises tuition and adds money to athletics) why is it bad now that it's actually been done? Also if you look at attendances i would argue that SWAC schools would be way more self sufficient then any other school besides maybe Montana in the FCS, they fill up stadiums (both there's and other teams on the road) they have an actual ESPN contract and they play classics in which they get huge numbers into their games (the bayou classic is even on NBC, maybe you've heard of that network). It's a lot easier to make money with an actual people attending your games instead of the fake 15 000 that Tx state used to get themselves into the WAC

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
So when texas schools pay for twice the amount of a schools athletic budget its awesome and completely fine but as soon as a Louisiana SWAC school does it its somehow wrong?

The schools in Texas do have significant student fees compared to their Louisiana counterparts, but even the Southern athletic fee is significantly larger than the Texas schools. I was surprised that Southern is able to demand such a student fee since most of the other schools have very minimal student fees that make up a very small part of the athletic department's operating budgets. One thing to note - Southern hardly gets institutional support. Only LSU amongst Division I schools in the state gets no institutional support. That is more the 'life blood' of the athletic department budgets in the state.

Isn't this type of fee exactly what you've been wanting in every other one of your posts (it raises tuition and adds money to athletics) why is it bad now that it's actually been done?

Comes down to 'shock value' that the school is charging so much. I would bet that Southern probably has one of the highest, if not the highest percentage of total tuition & fees dedicated to athletics in the country. They are also one of the only schools in the state that consistently goes into furloughing faculty and staff. I believe they will be doing it for the third straight year - while many schools in the state have been able to completely avoid it. Just do not believe their priorities are right... but then again, this may have more to do with how the Louisiana schools can fund higher education and funding formulas tied into tuition raises.

Also if you look at attendances i would argue that SWAC schools would be way more self sufficient then any other school besides maybe Montana in the FCS, they fill up stadiums (both there's and other teams on the road) they have an actual ESPN contract and they play classics in which they get huge numbers into their games (the bayou classic is even on NBC, maybe you've heard of that network). It's a lot easier to make money with an actual people attending your games instead of the fake 15 000 that Tx state used to get themselves into the WAC

For the most part - the SWAC schools struggle significantly.

If I am not mistaken, when it comes to "on campus" attendance... the SWAC has been behind several other conferences (including the Southland, SoCon, etc.) in recent years. Are they self sufficient? Not at all. While a program like Montana can have success and fully fund many of their sports... the SWAC schools play a plethora of guarantee games in hoops and in many sports, barely play over or just at the minimum as far as contests are concerned. They do not properly fund many of their sports and while they have butts in the seats at Classic games - for the most part have non-football facilities that are behind many others at the mid-major, low-major level.

Overall, their budgets are the worst in all of Division I and if they were not competing against themselves - other schools with the lowest budgets in Division I (see Mississippi Valley in particular), they would not have much a leg to stand on. When you are losing 85-90% games against Southland (across all sports), that does not bold well. Lowest or second to worst in conference RPI in all sports that it is calculated. They are keeping their doors open, but outside of serving as the perfect guarantee game opponent for every conference in America, they are clearly irrelevant when it comes to the ability to compete... with minor exceptions (your random T&F athlete, every few years a football squad is decent - though that is changing with scholarship/APR issues - and the occasional 'big win' in baseball or softball).

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM

Thats after Greg Lefluer. Dude was a idiot and left the department in horrible shape. We good. As long as we make the right hire things will be back on track shortly. :) Remember next to LSU in the State SU used the least amount of state funds. Why dont you post that.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
And to the Mcneese guy on the link. The Bayou Classic revenue isnt put into athletics. They use it for other things . Hopefully that changes in the future.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thats after Greg Lefluer. Dude was a idiot and left the department in horrible shape. We good. As long as we make the right hire things will be back on track shortly. :) Remember next to LSU in the State SU used the least amount of state funds. Why dont you post that.

I did post that... posted again in the above post...

"One thing to note - Southern hardly gets institutional support. Only LSU amongst Division I schools in the state gets no institutional support. That is more the 'life blood' of the athletic department budgets in the state."

Did Southern cut back on institutional support due to poor financial management of the athletic department? Or because of the general budget cuts that their school has faced? I've seen it both ways since I've been in the state of Louisiana at different institutions.

And I agree... comes to the right hires and use of money. The loss of your SID was a brutal one, he was one of the bright spots in the athletic department and bet some would argue, amongst his counterparts in the SWAC.

And to the Mcneese guy on the link. The Bayou Classic revenue isnt put into athletics. They use it for other things . Hopefully that changes in the future.

If that changes... Southern would probably be able to follow through on numerous things to better the athletic department.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I did post that... posted again in the above post...

"One thing to note - Southern hardly gets institutional support. Only LSU amongst Division I schools in the state gets no institutional support. That is more the 'life blood' of the athletic department budgets in the state."

Did Southern cut back on institutional support due to poor financial management of the athletic department? Or because of the general budget cuts that their school has faced? I've seen it both ways since I've been in the state of Louisiana at different institutions.

And I agree... comes to the right hires and use of money. The loss of your SID was a brutal one, he was one of the bright spots in the athletic department and bet some would argue, amongst his counterparts in the SWAC.

If that changes... Southern would probably be able to follow through on numerous things to better the athletic department.

SU hired outstanding guy to take Manns place. In 04 SU had the 131st best athletic department in the country by SI. With competent leadership, we will return.

McTailGator
July 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
With such a big city (particularly compared to Monroe, Natchitoches, Hammond, Grambling and Thibodaux) behind you - which is exactly the case in Lafayette, La. when they win - it definitely helps.

Ha

"WHEN they win"...????

WHEN have they EVER won?

McNeese's ticket sales are the highest in the SBC and SLC. In fact they also beat that of Tulane and LA Tech.

The state MUST allow tuition to rise in the UL system. This is not the 1980's.

Also, the state needs to allow each university to set their maximum allowable tuition and fee rates.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Ha

"WHEN they win"...????

WHEN have they EVER won?

UL-Lafayette can draw quite the crowd in men's hoops, baseball and softball... 'when they win'. I could not believe the crowds Marlin was drawing this year when they got hot this year. Did not realize that Lafayette can pack'em in like they were for men's hoops. Their softball attendance is ridiculous and baseball gets several thousand when they win as well...

McNeese's ticket sales are the highest in the SBC and SLC. In fact they also beat that of Tulane and LA Tech.

Beating Tulane... does that say much? You sure the northeast alums are not buying enough tickets to surpass McNeese in order to keep program D1? I think McNeese as far as season ticket sales, may not be tops in SBC. For some reason, want to think a school or two have passed them....

The state MUST allow tuition to rise in the UL system. This is not the 1980's.

Also, the state needs to allow each university to set their maximum allowable tuition and fee rates.

But... what about TOPS?

McTailGator
July 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Ever notice how the things that make money don't go where they should.

McNeese athletics gets less than 10% of the total profits brought in from concessions at athletic events. The rest goes to the school to pay for the school catering costs.

McTailGator
July 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Jeff -

It is hard to have a conversation about funding with you when you run away from actual fact - i.e. the funding formulas in place for Texas and Louisiana that protect the athletic departments in Texas more than anything and the Louisiana government's quick fix - and continue to harp on what you feel is misinformation and speculation.

TT, his point is we have been hearing this $h_t about the budget axe since the late 1970's in Louisiana.

The point here is that the constitution protects everything in La except higher education. which is why the subject comes up every year.

Louisiana is only allowed to address runding issues in even numbered years...

Also, the politicians refuse to allow each school to raise tuition and compete in the market for education value and cost.

This are the real issues,

McTailGator
July 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
But... what about TOPS?

TOPS is a good program, but to think that it should continue to cover 100% of tuition is the problem.

Nothing wrong with TOPS only covering 50 to 80% of their educational costs.

Also, there does need to be some needs testing for it.

If a family (like mine) can afford to pay, they should pay.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Ever notice how the things that make money don't go where they should.

McNeese athletics gets less than 10% of the total profits brought in from concessions at athletic events. The rest goes to the school to pay for the school catering costs.

SU athletics gets $0 dollars from concessions. SUite fees, like the Majority of the Bayou Classic Money, goes to The SU System Foundation not athletics.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
TOPS is a good program, but to think that it should continue to cover 100% of tuition is the problem.

Nothing wrong with TOPS only covering 50 to 80% of their educational costs.

Also, there does need to be some needs testing for it.

If a family can afford to pay, they should pay.
I agree.