PDA

View Full Version : Moulton: My one requirement for new FGCU AD: forget about football

CSN Log
April 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
04-13-2009 04:38 PM

Moulton: My one requirement for new FGCU AD: forget about football

NAPLES — Beginning Tuesday, five men and one woman will interview over the next two weeks to determine who will thrust FGCU athletics into the big, bad world of Division I sports. If I was on the hiring committee, I would ask the six finalists one question. “Do you want football at FGCU?”

Every candidate that answered “Yes” would be disqualified.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/04/13/moulton-my-one-requirement-for-new-fgcu?blog=2#more4671)

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Florida Gulf Coast football? Would be a good fit for the Big South, wouldn't it? Any of the Florida people know anything about any effort what so ever to get it started? Or at North Florida?

nwFL Griz
April 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
This article was written by someone who has no clue about football, especially at the FCS level.

Since when is Jacksonville going to FBS? (This article says they are)

TexasTerror
April 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM

According to some Pioneer League fans on this board, their football quality is even par with FBS. xlolx

I'd say this writer is confusing Jax St and J'Ville - but it is a Florida based writer. Would think he would know better...

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
The writer is a complete tool.

There are a whole slew of schools (Belmont, ETSU, Radford, and now FGSU) who seem very, very eager to play non-scholarship football. Add to that current ASun members Jacksonville and Campbell and potential affiliate Davidson and all of a sudden you have a seven-team non-scholarship FB conference that can play the PFL for the D-I non-scholarship championship every year.

More FCS football?

xthumbsupx

Model Citizen
April 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM

No it doesn't.

Anyway, they'll need scholarship money, a stadium, and fans before any FBS move. Not that they're doing any such thing. Just saying.

nwFL Griz
April 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
No it doesn't.

Anyway, they'll need scholarship money, a stadium, and fans before any FBS move. Not that they're doing any such thing. Just saying.

Uh, yes it does:

No. 2 — The state of Florida already has seven D-I football programs — Florida, Florida State, Miami, South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, and Jacksonville is making the jump to become the eighth. That’s not counting the handful of historically black colleges that play I-AA football. It’s not like any kid who plays football in Southwest Florida doesn’t have a place to go play after high school.

He is clearly not referring to FCS when he says D-I because of the I-AA reference later in the paragraph.