PDA

View Full Version : FCS Players who could get drafted

smallcollegefbfan
April 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Here is a list of the players I have been able to compile. Anyone missing?

ILB Lee Robinson Alcorn State
WR Ramses Barden Cal Poly
FB Marquez Branson Central Arkansas
QB Nathan Brown Central Arkansas
OT Joel Bell Furman
CB William Middleton Furman
WR Dobson Collins Gardner-Webb
DT Chris Baker Hampton
DE Desmond Bryant Harvard
QB Christopher Pizzotti Harvard
CB Derrick "D.J." Clark Idaho State
FS Thomas Nelson Illinois State
CB Domonique "DJ" Johnson Jackson State
RB Rashad Jennings Liberty
QB Brock Smith Liberty
WR Quinten Lawrence McNeese State
OT Kyle Link McNeese State
FS Colt Anderson Montana
CB Lardarius Webb Nicholls State
CB Don Carey Norfolk State
DE Everette Pedescleaux Northern Iowa
WR Dudley Guice Northwestern State
ILB Andrew Schantz Portland State
DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr. Richmond
QB Rhett Bomar Sam Houston State
WR John Matthews San Diego
WR Dominique Edison Stephen F. Austin
RB Javarris Williams Tennessee State
OG Cornelius Lewis Tennessee State
C Cecil Newton Tennessee State
DT John Faletoese UC Davis
FB Marcus Mailei Weber State
OLB Jason Williams Western Illinois
RB Herb Donaldson Western Illinois
CB Derek Cox William & Mary

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Two OL from Colgate, Hennessey and I don't remember the other.

smallcollegefbfan
April 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Two OL from Colgate, Hennessey and I don't remember the other.

The RB has no shot due to off field issues, unless the Bengals take him. Jonas is a pure free agent as best. Hennessey would be a 7th round pick, at best. I would be surprised if he got drafted from what I have been hearing.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Personally? I'd put Jordan Scott as a UFA possibility. Also, Yale's Mike McLeod, too.

Hennessey has held private workouts for NFL teams, so he's the best shot of the bunch. But I think McLeod and Scott deserve to be on the list. IMO. I'd also include the DB Andrew Berry from Harvard, too (who was, I believe consensus Defensive POY in the Ivy).

Incidentally, the off-the-field issues for Scott, IMO, have been blown completely out of proportion.

smallcollegefbfan
April 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Personally? I'd put Jordan Scott as a UFA possibility. Also, Yale's Mike McLeod, too.

Hennessey has held private workouts for NFL teams, so he's the best shot of the bunch. But I think McLeod and Scott deserve to be on the list. IMO. I'd also include the DB Andrew Berry from Harvard, too (who was, I believe consensus Defensive POY in the Ivy).

Incidentally, the off-the-field issues for Scott, IMO, have been blown completely out of proportion.

Scott is 50/50 I would say after running a 4.82 at his pro day and his off field issues. Andrew Berry is too slow to get drafted but I hope he gets in a camp. McLeod is getting in a camp for sure, I think.

ur2k
April 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I think Josh Vaughan from Richmond could be a late round draftee.

The other likely pro-prospect from UR is Joe Monteverde as a long snapper - but he won't get drafted. He'll prob sign with someone. Word is he's been worked out by 4-5 teams for that position.

FCS Now
April 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Good list SmallCollege, I think you probably got everyone that will be drafted. Vaughn from Richmond probably deserves a mention too. Probably not all of them will get drafted, but I'm sure they will all at least get a shot to make a team.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Good list SmallCollege, I think you probably got everyone that will be drafted. Vaughn from Richmond probably deserves a mention too. Probably not all of them will get drafted, but I'm sure they will all at least get a shot to make a team.

Vaughn and Belcher have an outside shot but I see both as free agents. Belcher is making the transition to OLB and doesn't have elite speed like Sidbury to move him up the board like that.

JackTwice
April 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Some talk going around that WR JaRon Harris from SDSU has raised his stock by running a 4.35 40 during his pro day workouts.

Tribe4SF
April 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Derek Cox of W&M is reported to be one of two cornerbacks invited to visit the Bengals prior to the draft.

phoenixphanatic21
April 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Very very very small chance Andrew Wilcox (K) an Brandon Lane (P) get drafted, but I've heard that there's a very good chance they will get signed as undrafted free agents. Great list Small College.

smallcollegefbfan
April 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Very very very small chance Andrew Wilcox (K) an Brandon Lane (P) get drafted, but I've heard that there's a very good chance they will get signed as undrafted free agents. Great list Small College.

Unfortunately I hate to say it but I don't see any chance that they get drafted. Neither was getting serious looks during the year and it is rare to see a small school kicker or punter drafted that does not go to the combine.

Bison101
April 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Where are NDSU's prospects?

Tyler Roehl-RB, but would be made into FB
Ramon Humber- 4 year starter at LB
Kole Heckendorf- Impressed scouts with his hands

smallcollegefbfan
April 13th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Where are NDSU's prospects?

Tyler Roehl-RB, but would be made into FB
Ramon Humber- 4 year starter at LB
Kole Heckendorf- Impressed scouts with his hands

I don't expect any to get drafted so I left them off. Roehl is the only one who I think has a shot to get drafted and him being moved to FB likely hurts that because so few FBs are drafted.

phoenixphanatic21
April 13th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Unfortunately I hate to say it but I don't see any chance that they get drafted. Neither was getting serious looks during the year and it is rare to see a small school kicker or punter drafted that does not go to the combine.

Yea I figured that they wouldn't be drafted. More me just wishing and dreaming and praying xprayx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Another player in the "will most likely get into camp but won't be drafted" department: Dartmouth P Alex Scullin.

Bison101
April 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I don't expect any to get drafted so I left them off. Roehl is the only one who I think has a shot to get drafted and him being moved to FB likely hurts that because so few FBs are drafted.

But isn't this list about who has a shot? The title is FCS Players who could get drafted.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
But isn't this list about who has a shot? The title is FCS Players who could get drafted.

I just posted the players I think has a legit shot. I would be shocked if Roehl got picked and I think it is such an outside shot that I left him off. He could get picked and prove me wrong. There are always 5-10 players drafted, regardless of division, that heavily surprise me.

Bison101
April 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I just posted the players I think has a legit shot. I would be shocked if Roehl got picked and I think it is such an outside shot that I left him off. He could get picked and prove me wrong. There are always 5-10 players drafted, regardless of division, that heavily surprise me.

Sounds good.

smallcollegefbfan
April 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I would also add EIU DE Pierre Walters as a possible draft pick.

PhoenixMan
April 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Yea I figured that they wouldn't be drafted. More me just wishing and dreaming and praying xprayx

They won't get drafted, but there is a very good chance that Lane will sign as a free agent. Wilcox, probably not. NFL folks like the fact that Lane is 6'5'', and he has very good mechanics.

hawkssb04
April 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Marcus Mailei is a strong possibility for a late round pick at fullback. I know he has spoken with over two dozen teams and was flown out by Philadelphia a few weeks ago for a workout (although they don't really need a fullback).
Many NFL scouts including Mel Kiper have called Marcus "the truest fullback in the draft" due to his machine-like blocking. He de-cleated everybody he touched at the Texas vs the Nation All-Star Game.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/85133146.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B946C5A518E7D4C17BAF416B6B2A6DF4 5A5397277B4DC33E

Here is the link to his workout video at the NFL Combine and below are some links to articles written about Mailei's prowess at the FB position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f34681

http://media.www.wsusignpost.com/media/storage/paper985/news/2009/01/30/Sports/Mailei.Heading.To.The.Nfl-3605991.shtml

http://media.www.wsusignpost.com/media/storage/paper985/news/2009/02/25/Sports/The-Next.Step.To.The.Nfl-3647804.shtml

Native
April 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Good list, SmallCollegeFBFan!

Other names that I have seen tossed about include:

DE Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman
DE Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois
TE Brian Mandeville, Northeastern
OT Michael Brown, Alabama A&M
S Allen Nelson, McNeese State
WR Justin Brown, Hampton
OT Tim Henderson, Northwestern Louisiana State
WR Jeremy Gilchrest, Hampton
K Robbie Dehaze, Northern Arizona
K Taylor Rowan, Western Illinois

Native
April 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Northern Arizona placekicker Robbie Dehaze is ranked 10th among aspiring NFL kickers at CBS Sports' NFL Draft web site, and is getting some sniffs from Kansas City.

Robbie has a big leg and posting NFL-quality 80% FG accuracy and 67 yard kickoffs in 2008.

Barth, the incumbent kicker for the Chiefs, is good on accuracy but averages 45 yards on kickoffs. Even discounting 7 yards per kickoff for the altitude at Walkup Stadium, Dehaze would be a good backup on field goals and could add at least 10-15 yards on the kickoffs.

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Good list, SmallCollegeFBFan!

Other names that I have seen tossed about include:

DE Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman
DE Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois
TE Brian Mandeville, Northeastern
OT Michael Brown, Alabama A&M
S Allen Nelson, McNeese State
WR Justin Brown, Hampton
OT Tim Henderson, Northwestern Louisiana State
WR Jeremy Gilchrest, Hampton
K Robbie Dehaze, Northern Arizona
K Taylor Rowan, Western Illinois

Hill is D2. Mandeville has medical issues and was told to retire from doctors. Would be shocked if he gets picked but he would have gone 4th or 5th round had he not been told to retire.

Native
April 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hill is D2. Mandeville has medical issues and was told to retire from doctors. Would be shocked if he gets picked but he would have gone 4th or 5th round had he not been told to retire.

Thanks for the updates.

I wondered what had happened to Mandeville. He shows up on the NFL site but is missing on other sites.

Native
April 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM

So, of the 45 or so remaining FCS players listed on this thread, how many will make an NFL roster in 2009?

Half?

smallcollegefbfan
April 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
So, of the 45 or so remaining FCS players listed on this thread, how many will make an NFL roster in 2009?

Half?

Somewhere in there. I would guess that 40 FCS players will make it without knowing past numbers.

Retro
April 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Besides Lawrence and Link, don't be surprised if Mcneese's Jeremy Haynes - DB gets drafted.. Has seen a lot of interest from NFL scouts as of late.

smallcollegefbfan
April 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Besides Lawrence and Link, don't be surprised if Mcneese's Jeremy Haynes - DB gets drafted.. Has seen a lot of interest from NFL scouts as of late.

Yes he has. A shame he did not have one more year because I really believe he could have flown up boards with one more year and as you said could still get drafted late.