PDA

View Full Version : Checking Out Small-School Prospects

turbodean
April 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
FCS players getting more respect and more looks in the NFL draft? With the NFL draft on the immediate horizon, how many FCS kids have a legit shot? As this article states the Dolphins are putting more emphasis on FCS.

http://mia.scout.com/2/854458.html

The list includes wide receiver Johnny Knox from Abilene Christian, cornerback Don Carey from Norfolk State and cornerback Greg Toler from St. Paul's (Va.),

Other published reports have the Dolphins having worked out or scheduled to work out Western (Ontario) defensive tackle Vaughn Martin and Northern Arizona cornerback K.J. Gerard.

Miami drafted a couple FCS kids with good results last year and have brought in Dan Carpenter (PK Montana), Yeremiah Bell (WR Eastern KY) and a few others before that.

The Dolphins hit big last year when they drafted in the third orund defensive end Kendall Langford from Hampton University, a school from Division I-AA ... oops, forgive us, the Football Championship Subdivision. They also took running back Lex Hilliard from Montana, proving they're not afraid to go after lesser-known prospects.

What other FCS draft stories are out there? xcoffeex

kirkblitz
April 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The RB from liberty

busybee14
April 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM
To many to name ! 20% of almost every NFL roster is made up of fcs or lower players.

UNHFan99
April 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Tom Bishop punter from UNH had a very strong workout for a patriots scout that came to work him out

turbodean
April 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
To many to name ! 20% of almost every NFL roster is made up of fcs or lower players.

Exactly my point! My intent with this thread was not to list every FCS player that is currently on an NFL roster but to identify those current seniors that are getting good looks and likely to be drafted.

Thanks UNHFan99, Tom Bishop P is a great example for this thread. Most of us wouldn't have known that without your input. At least I didn't.

This board has gotten pretty stale with a lot of rehashed material lately and FCS possibilities in the upcoming NFL draft is one fresh and upbeat area of discussion.

MaximumBobcat
April 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Cameron Luke (WR) from Texas State worked out at Rice University's Pro Day to get more exposure to scouts and I heard he impressed and shaved some time off his 40, which was his only real knock.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19/20090326/img/psp-rice-pro-day-football-3-b347f979dc7c.html

I think he's going to sign a contract with a NFL team for sure this season, it's just a question of if he gets drafted in the later rounds or not.

slostang
April 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
6'6" 229 lb Cal Poly All-American WR Ramses Barden. Draft experts say he may goes as high as the second round.

smallcollegefbfan
April 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Cameron Luke (WR) from Texas State worked out at Rice University's Pro Day to get more exposure to scouts and I heard he impressed and shaved some time off his 40, which was his only real knock.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19/20090326/img/psp-rice-pro-day-football-3-b347f979dc7c.html

I think he's going to sign a contract with a NFL team for sure this season, it's just a question of if he gets drafted in the later rounds or not.

Don't see Luke getting drafted. I don't think he ran well enough to put his name on the draft board. I agree with you that he will get in a camp for sure though.