PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the highest drafted FCS non combine invite?

smallcollegefbfan
March 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Vote for you who think will be the highest drafted non combine invite from FCS and state why.

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Dudley - the Demons somehow find a way to have success in the NFL draft. Figure this kid, especially since he's had a few mentions, could find his way on to the big board, if any of these student-athletes can.

SandMountainDemon
March 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Dudley - the Demons somehow find a way to have success in the NFL draft. Figure this kid, especially since he's had a few mentions, could find his way on to the big board, if any of these student-athletes can.

Granted that the Demons have had some success in the league, I doubt Guice will make it. Probably end up seeing him play for the Bossier City Battlewings, if they will even put up with his antics.

smallcollegefbfan
March 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Granted that the Demons have had some success in the league, I doubt Guice will make it. Probably end up seeing him play for the Bossier City Battlewings, if they will even put up with his antics.

What antics? He has been no trouble on or off the field in college and has a buzz among NFL teams.

Not sure what you have against him but you need to bring proof, if you are going to accuse him of something. He is well aware of what has been said and his representatives, from what I was told, have talked to teams and there is no issue.

The incident you were referring to was blown completely out of proportion and is not as big as you made it sound. There indeed was an incident but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 1.5 and was easily smoothed over.

Hoyadestroya85
March 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The Giants have shown interest in Everette Pedescleaux.. i know that and they're defensive line freaks.. so he must be good?

smallcollegefbfan
March 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The Giants have shown interest in Everette Pedescleaux.. i know that and they're defensive line freaks.. so he must be good?

He is a guy I loved during the season and really think people slept on him. He should have been in a postseason all-star game and the combine. It would not shock me to see him go in the 6th round.

OL FU
March 30th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I don't have a clue but I imagine you can guess for whom I votedxthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
I picked Pedescleaux too - I think he's going to make it at the next level. Colt Anderson would be a close second, but he's more of a special-teams guy and I think he'll be a FA.

Tribe4SF
April 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
After his pro day performance, Derek Cox is a candidate.

JohnStOnge
April 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I don't think he's the most likely non combine FCS player to be drafted but I'll put in a plug for McNeese's Allen Nelson as belonging in the conversation. He played outside linebacker in college but at 6'1", 210 pounds he's tabbed by NFLDraftScout.com as the 15th rated strong safety prospect. His 40 time is listed as 4.53 (that's what he ran at the McNeese pro day). He was all conference last year after leading McNeese in tackles (95) for the third straight year. To put his rating in some context with respect to other FCS players, here are the NFLDraftScout.com ratings for the players listed in the poll at the top of this thread:

Jason Williams: 9th rated outside linebacker
Dobson Collins: 49th rated wide receiver
Dudley Guice: 44th rated wide receiver
Everette Pedescleaux: 25th rated defensive end
Colt Anderson: 13th rated free safety
Andy Schantz: 16th rated inside linebacker
Will Middleton: 45th rated cornerback
John Faletoese: 17th rated defensive tackle
Cecil Newton: 8th rated center

Based on that I'd tab Cecil Newton or Jason Williams as the two most likely to be drafted. I'll go with Williams just guessing that there will be more of a demand for outside linebackers. If you're interested in looking at NFLDraftScout player profiles, go to http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=443&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC . It'll come up on Western Illinois but you can select any other school from that page then click on links for the players.

JohnStOnge
April 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
After his pro day performance, Derek Cox is a candidate.

NFLDraftScout.com has him as the 51st rated cornerback prospect.

Tribe4SF
April 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
NFLDraftScout.com has him as the 51st rated cornerback prospect.

That ranking was likely before his pro day performance. His numbers from pro day are top 10 among CBs, and film of his big play ability is likely making the rounds. He has six teams looking at him now, and I would guess that number will grow.

Tribe4SF
April 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Just checked nfldraftscout and they have no updated info for Derek. They show a 4.56 40, and no other stats. His pro day numbers included 4.39 and 4.42 40s, and an 11' 8" broad jump.

JohnStOnge
April 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Just checked nfldraftscout and they have no updated info for Derek. They show a 4.56 40, and no other stats. His pro day numbers included 4.39 and 4.42 40s, and an 11' 8" broad jump.

I wonder what's going on. We must somehow be looking at different pages. I'm looking at this one:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=73138&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

That one shows his 40 time as 4.47 rather than 4.56 with a range of 4.38 to 4.56. It's not updated to include his pro day but what he did on pro day was within that range. I'm guessing that after they update it they will show him at 4.39 or 4.42 based on the pro day thing and he'll move up some. But he's got a long way to move up.

JohnStOnge
April 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Kind of amazes me that nobody has voted for Cecil Newton. I looked at where NFLDraftScout.com has them projected to go in the draft. Here's how that goes:

Jason Williams: Round 3 or 4
John Faletoese: Round 6
Cecil Newton: Round 6 or 7
Colt Anderson: Round 7 or free agent
Everett Pedescleaux: Round 7 or free agent

That further reinforces my belief that Williams will be the first of the listed players to be taken. However, Newton would not be that bad of a bet and it certainly looks like he's a better bet than some of the other players on the list who did get votes.

Tribe4SF
April 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I wonder what's going on. We must somehow be looking at different pages. I'm looking at this one:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=73138&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

That one shows his 40 time as 4.47 rather than 4.56 with a range of 4.38 to 4.56. It's not updated to include his pro day but what he did on pro day was within that range. I'm guessing that after they update it they will show him at 4.39 or 4.42 based on the pro day thing and he'll move up some. But he's got a long way to move up.

We were looking at different pages. The one you linked still doesn't show his pro day results, most importantly the broad jump which was the longest of the year for any player at any position. He had a 36.5" vertical...4.11 short shuttle...6.80 3-cone...and 12 reps of 225 on the bench. Measured 6' 1 1/4" and 188.

ur2k
April 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'll go for a write-in vote - Josh Vaughan.

clenz
April 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Big E.

There was a good sized right up about him int he Dallas news paper this last week....I'd hate to see him in Dallas, but I'd love to see him stay in Purple and end up in MN opposide of JA and with the Williams brothers.

smallcollegefbfan
April 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM

They have him too low at this point because I think Cox will get drafted in the 6th or 7th round due to special teams ability and speed.

Gil Dobie
April 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I went with Williams :)

appfan2008
April 6th, 2009, 08:34 AM
would love to see an app stater get drafted but it doesnt look like this will be the year

smallcollegefbfan
April 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
would love to see an app stater get drafted but it doesnt look like this will be the year

App might not even get anyone in a training camp. I would say they have 3 players all that are 50/50 to get a shot. Courman probably gets one because of the fact he has been on the radar the whole time but he didn't have a year that would warrant one.

FCS Now
April 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
You guys are right on with Williams. He's really improved his stock with his two pro day showings (WIU and NW). I've been following his Twitter updates (http://twitter.com/jwill6) tracking his tryout/interview process this spring, and he's getting some good looks from Green Bay and Tampa Bay recently. Our blog archives (http://fcsnow25.spaces.live.com/)have a list of top FCS players in the draft, and we've got him 5th among all FCS-ers, thinking he'll probably go 4th round.

danefan
April 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
You guys are right on with Williams. He's really improved his stock with his two pro day showings (WIU and NW). I've been following his Twitter updates (http://twitter.com/jwill6) tracking his tryout/interview process this spring, and he's getting some good looks from Green Bay and Tampa Bay recently. Our blog archives (http://fcsnow25.spaces.live.com/)have a list of top FCS players in the draft, and we've got him 5th among all FCS-ers, thinking he'll probably go 4th round.

hey FCSNow. Welcome to the board and nice blog you have there. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
April 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Welcome to the board as well. You work with CSN or you doing this on your own?

He had a very good visit with Green Bay. He has visits lined up all during this week. Williams is a player I could see go as high as the 4th round and a player I could see fall to the 6th round. Scouts still see him as a better athlete than player but it only takes one team and thus that is why I would say 4th-5th round as of now.

Funnny you mention twitter because there were people following me on there but I blocked them. I wondered how but anyone can search you on there and follow your updates without adding you as a friend so I don't really use it.