PDA

View Full Version : Babin, Wilson Lead Southeastern In Annual Spring Game

CSN Log
March 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
03-28-2009 03:34 PM

Babin, Wilson Lead Southeastern In Annual Spring Game

HAMMOND – Brian Babin capped off an efficient spring as he went 30-for-41 for 255 yards and three touchdowns and Chris Wilson caught 13 passes for 107 yards as the Southeastern White team earned a 27-22 win over the Southeastern Green team Saturday afternoon at Strawberry Stadium.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/03/28/babin-wilson-lead-southeastern-in-annual?blog=2#more4549)

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Guess I was wrong in my assessment that the offense had no chance with the defense being spotted 22 points.

GL94 or one of the other Lions' fans, what can you tell us about the redshirt freshman Tramaine Lucas or the K-State transfer Jack Hayes? We know about Newbill and Connors. Are these guys going to be big factors for SLU this year?

lionsrking2
March 31st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Guess I was wrong in my assessment that the offense had no chance with the defense being spotted 22 points.

GL94 or one of the other Lions' fans, what can you tell us about the redshirt freshman Tramaine Lucas or the K-State transfer Jack Hayes? We know about Newbill and Connors. Are these guys going to be big factors for SLU this year?

Assuming he stays healthy, Jack Hayes will be a major factor and should give us an athletic, speed push in the middle we haven't had since bringing football back...he's a long 6-4, almost 6-5, and weighs 275ish...runs in the 4.8-4.9 range in the 40...probably more naturally suited to play DE but will line up inside for us...has NFL potential.

Tramaine Lucas should be a factor as well - especially on passing downs - but will rotate in behind several older guys with more experience...he's 6-2, 240 with 4.6 speed and is very similar to Larry Hart at UCA...excellent first step quickness and relentless getting after the QB...can't say that what he's done this spring has been too big a surprise, but he's definitely turned some heads with his ability to get after the passer.

Other young guys on defense who should make an impact are Devin Jones, Kendrick Jackson and Avery Crooks at LB and Jordan August and Grant Laurant at DT...we're deep and talented in our front seven.

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Who is the recruiter that continues to have all this success in bringing in some of the top defensive players in the SLC? It seems like time and again that the Lions have brought in a solid group of guys on that side of the ball...

lionsrking2
April 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Who is the recruiter that continues to have all this success in bringing in some of the top defensive players in the SLC? It seems like time and again that the Lions have brought in a solid group of guys on that side of the ball...

The entire staff deserves credit, but Mike Lucas is a big sell to recruits on the defensive side of the ball...as you're well aware, his background is in defense and kids love playing for him...he personally recruited Tommy Connors while he was defensive coordinator and Tommy will tell you Lucas is why he's here.

We've also done a great job - in my opinion - of identifying under-radar type kids with big upsides and we're starting to see those guys develop, especially at DL and LB...we're still looking for the right combination at corner, and will need some newcomers to step up and play well, but our front seven has a chance to be really, really good over the next three years.

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
There's a lot of people around Huntsville who wish Lucas was hired instead of Whitten. Probably one of the more popular guys to come through SHSU.

Of course, now we have Stoker at the DC - so we'll see how that works out.