PDA

View Full Version : Hermits' Bill Giberson Finds (Sacred) Heart in Football

CSN Log
March 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
03-26-2009 01:18 PM

Hermits' Bill Giberson Finds (Sacred) Heart in Football

Bill Giberson began his football career two years ago with no expectations.

“I just went out to try it,” the St. Augustine Prep senior said, “and it blossomed into something great.”

Giberson will attend Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn., on an almost full football scholarship. Sacred Heart plays in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-AA.

“I went to visit Sacred Heart, and it felt like the right place for me,” Giberson said. “The school wasn’t too big. Everything there fit me perfectly.”

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/03/26/hermits-bill-giberson-finds-sacred-heart?blog=2#more4526)

Syntax Error
March 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Giberson is one of the region’s top athletes. He had a problem many high school seniors would like to have. The Hammonton resident is also a standout basketball player. Giberson averaged 14 points for a Hermits team that won 21 games and the Cape-Atlantic League American Conference. He had a basketball scholarship offer from University of the Sciences, a Division II school in Philadelphia. ...

Although he had never played competitive football before his junior season, Giberson quickly adapted to the sport.

“I just tried because people told me I could be good at it,” he said.

That was good advice. Giberson, a standout wide receiver and defensive end, was a Press first-team All-Star last fall. St. Augustine won a school-record 10 games.

He returned four punts for touchdowns and caught 23 passes for 484 yards and eight touchdowns.

Giberson does not yet know whether he will play offense or defense.

“They said they’re going to put 25 pounds on me and go from there,” he said. “Maybe try me at outside linebacker.”Another familiar story. The FCS is best.