PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Bison Pro Day

Gil Dobie
March 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
From the local Fargo sports writer.........

Bison Blog (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

Some random thoughts from NDSU's "Pro Day" at the BSA today:

From talking to others and from my own eyes, running back Tyler Roehl, receiver Kole Heckendorf and safety Nick Schommer were the most impressive for the scouts. One scout had Heckendorf at a 4.33 in the 40. I had him at 4.4 and I'm still a little skeptical of a 4.33, but somewhere around 4.4 flat seems more realistic.
Roehl benched 225 pounds 30 times and until the last few, made it look like it was a plastic bar. Perhaps only somebody like offensive lineman Austin Richard of the current Bison players get in the 30 range.
The downside to Roehl's measurables was an 8-10 in the standing long jump. "I've never been a jumper," he said.
I had Jerimiah Wurzbacher at 4.75 in the 40 both times he did it and 33 1/2 inches in the vertical jump. Again, my times are VERY unofficial. Wurzbacher also got a look as a long snapper. Phil Hansen was a backup long snapper his entire NFL career and anytime you can do a dual role, it helps your stock.
Schommer had a 9-10 long jump and I had him at around 4.5 both tries at the 40.
Chauncy Calhoun from Valley City State had a 10-2 long jump and a 34 1/2 vertical jump.
Other 225 bench press efforts: Agbetola 17, Wurzbacher 17, Calhoun 13, Schommer 11, Humber 20, Lardinois 15, Heckendorf 14, Maresh 23 and Jangula 27 (seven more were disallowed because he did not extend his arms). Richardson lost the bar after a couple and did not do it again.
Three others besides Bison players worked out: Calhoun, another running back from Valley City who didn't play last year and U-Mary linebacker Shawn Melland, who at 6-5 and 235, cut and lean caught some scouts' eyes. I had him between a 4.6 and 4.8 in the 40 and he had a 36 vertical.
The NFL teams represented were the Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Chiefs, Jaguars, Broncos, Colts, Eagles, Giants, Chargers and Steelers.
Roehl looked very powerful in the "L drill" run and was verdy fluid in catching passes during the skills session. I don't think he dropped one. I clocked him at 4.4 in the 40, although he says it was more like a 4.5 from what he was told. Heckendorf certainly didn't drop a pass in the skills portion.