PDA

View Full Version : ASU Pro Day

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3699883

For Banks to have run 4.5s that is not good for just one team to show up. Anyone have the results from it?

magman919
March 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Banks had a very impressive pro day from what I've heard.
I don't have all his specifics, but I don know that his 40 yard dash times were in he low 4.5's.
I compared his numbers to those of the strong safties that attended this years combine.
Banks's numbers matched up quite favorably.

The lone scout was from the Carolina Panthers.
This scout will circulate the info to other scouts and teams in the NFL.
All it take is for one scout and one team to be impressed.
I think his numbers coupled with game film will attract a team to draft him in the later rounds or make him a PFA.

When I get his exact number s I'll post them....

smallcollegefbfan
March 26th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Banks had a very impressive pro day from what I've heard.
I don't have all his specifics, but I don know that his 40 yard dash times were in he low 4.5's.
I compared his numbers to those of the strong safties that attended this years combine.
Banks's numbers matched up quite favorably.

The lone scout was from the Carolina Panthers.
This scout will circulate the info to other scouts and teams in the NFL.
All it take is for one scout and one team to be impressed.
I think his numbers coupled with game film will attract a team to draft him in the later rounds or make him a PFA.

When I get his exact number s I'll post them....

I'm glad he ran well. Just one scout showing up shows that he was there to do his due diligence and that the NFL really doesn't have much interest.

He won't get drafted but might get a tryout or possibly sign a contract. If he several teams start to schedule him for visits then I will say his stock is rising.

My personal opinion is that Banks could be a good CFL player and might even want to go straight up there instead of getting a 3 day type tryout in the NFL where he would end up being cut anyway.

magman919
March 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm glad he ran well. Just one scout showing up shows that he was there to do his due diligence and that the NFL really doesn't have much interest.

He won't get drafted but might get a tryout or possibly sign a contract. If he several teams start to schedule him for visits then I will say his stock is rising.

My personal opinion is that Banks could be a good CFL player and might even want to go straight up there instead of getting a 3 day type tryout in the NFL where he would end up being cut anyway.

Due diligence..Funnny
I'll be sure to let you know when your are proved wrong my friend..

smallcollegefbfan
March 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Due diligence..Funnny

I hope he makes it and I think he is smart enough and good enough on special teams that he deserves to get a contract.

One thing that many fans out there don't pay attention to or realize is how pro days work. For any FBS or quality FCS program there will be at least one team show up for the pro day.

Look at how many teams went to Delaware to see Ronald Talley and a D3 WR. There were 7 total. Portland State had 15 teams show up and Furman had over 25 teams. App State is the fastest and most consistent team in FCS over the last 4 years and Banks has been a big part of that and yet he, the punter, and receiver attract only 1 NFL team to see them. Just pointing out that it is not a good sign for them.

ASU is in a down year with just 2-3 players that are going to get a contract or tryout, at best. Look for the attention to increase next year to the level it was last year with Jackson, Lynch, and Brown. For next year's draft Gilbert and Edwards will get a look and Mark LeGree, DJ Smith, and CoCo Hillary will likely get some peaks as juniors.

smallcollegefbfan
March 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Due diligence..Funnny

Does Banks have any private workouts or visits with teams?

JohnStOnge
March 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
NFLDraftScout.com has Banks rated 92nd among 143 Strong Safety prospects. Of course they also still have him listed at 4.78 in the 40 (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72961&draftyear=2009&genpos=SS ). Where are you guys getting the thing about him running in the low 4.5s? As I'm reading, what's at the link now it doesn't give any times that I'm seeing. Is there some other link to click or something?

smallcollegefbfan
March 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
NFLDraftScout.com has Banks rated 92nd among 143 Strong Safety prospects. Of course they also still have him listed at 4.78 in the 40 (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72961&draftyear=2009&genpos=SS ). Where are you guys getting the thing about him running in the low 4.5s? As I'm reading, what's at the link now it doesn't give any times that I'm seeing. Is there some other link to click or something?

Not sure where Magman got that either. I have yet to see that on NFL.com or any of the other credible sites. I still stand by the fact that Banks is a 4.65-4.70 guy, at best, and is going to end up in the CFL. He just doesn't have the physical tools for a guy of his speed.

JohnStOnge
March 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
The only thing I've been able to find on a 40 time at the App State pro day is this from Gil Brandt (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/29/hofstra-appalachian-state-hold-pro-days/):

"WR T.J. Courman (5-8 1/8, 189) had the most notable workout, clocking in with a 4.60 and 4.57 in the 40-yard dash, a 4.25 short shuttle, and a time of 7.08 in the three-cone drill. "

You'd think that if a college linebacker who is a NFL Strong Safety prospect was clocking in the low 4.5s that would've been mentioned; since a wide receiver running in the high 4.5s to 4.6 apparently was considered part of the most impressive workout.

smallcollegefbfan
March 31st, 2009, 06:20 PM
The only thing I've been able to find on a 40 time at the App State pro day is this from Gil Brandt (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/29/hofstra-appalachian-state-hold-pro-days/):

"WR T.J. Courman (5-8 1/8, 189) had the most notable workout, clocking in with a 4.60 and 4.57 in the 40-yard dash, a 4.25 short shuttle, and a time of 7.08 in the three-cone drill. "

You'd think that if a college linebacker who is a NFL Strong Safety prospect was clocking in the low 4.5s that would've been mentioned; since a wide receiver running in the high 4.5s to 4.6 apparently was considered part of the most impressive workout.

They might not have even written down times on him because as I pointed out before, there is very little interest in him. Carolina only showed up to do their due diligence and to likely speak to the coaches about 2010.

JohnStOnge
March 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
To me it's amazing that the App State web site didn't report the performance of its ex players.

smallcollegefbfan
March 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM
To me it's amazing that the App State web site didn't report the performance of its ex players.

From what I heard, there was nothing good to report and thus they did not report anything.