PDA

View Full Version : Very Impressive Win UNH

colgate13
November 26th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I have yet to sift through all the internet chatter about today's loss for Colgate, but before I do, I wanted to extend a hearty congratulations for a very impressive display by the Wildcats. Santos and Ball are playing at another level; they were amazing to watch even while getting beat. And your defense seems to be very under-rated in my book. All around a great ball club you've got in Durham.

I wish the game was closer and that a few plays at crucial times went our way instead of UNH's, but still, it was great for 1-2 Colgate to find itself playing in the playoffs come Thanksgiving.

Best wishes the rest of the postseason. Continue to rack up the points! :bow:

GrizSweeper
November 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I hope they play EWU next weekend, now that would be a great game

mainejeff
November 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Yes, it would.

Happy Penguin
November 26th, 2005, 08:03 PM
UNH looked great today. Glad to see 2 Patriot League teams get in, they sure showed they belonged today. :mad:

Sour grapes I know, but did anyone honestly think either Patriot team had a shot?

Stang Fever
November 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM
That was not an impressive win...Colgate is not good...i will always say it...Laughfetye...Well they stayed close...but still lost...maybe its me but I have never been in a game that was a great game in which i lost...(be it a player or a team i am going for i.e Poly) If you loose by 1 or by 50 you loose...

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I hope they play EWU next weekend, now that would be a great game

If UNH had trouble with UC Davis they will really be in trouble against a Eastern Washington Team. I don't think they will be able to out score the Eagles unless conditions shut down all offensive production.

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
That was not an impressive win...Colgate is not good...i will always say it...Laughfetye...Well they stayed close...but still lost...maybe its me but I have never been in a game that was a great game in which i lost...(be it a player or a team i am going for i.e Poly) If you loose by 1 or by 50 you loose...

Disagree. By the way, it's spelled "lose", not "loose".

UNHknowledge
November 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Enlighten me...what constitutes an impressive win for you? We now have 11 of them, were they all flukes and unimpressive? How about traveling 5000+ miles to UC Davis (who later beat Poly) and beating them on their turf. In the 3 close wins this season we simply found a way to beat the other team and all three of those opponents were very respectable: UC Davis, UMass, and Hofstra. No, I don't consider Colgate a very good team but they obviously are not terrible because they are in the playoffs. Going up 41-0 early in the 3rd to a team that is considered a strong defensive team is impressive enough for me.

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Enlighten me...what constitutes an impressive win for you? We now have 11 of them, were they all flukes and unimpressive? How about traveling 5000+ miles to UC Davis (who later beat Poly) and beating them on their turf. In the 3 close wins this season we simply found a way to beat the other team and all three of those opponents were very respectable: UC Davis, UMass, and Hofstra. No, I don't consider Colgate a very good team but they obviously are not terrible because they are in the playoffs. Going up 41-0 early in the 3rd to a team that is considered a strong defensive team is impressive enough for me.

If you travelled 5,000+ miles to Cal Poly, you must have started in England or Japan.

UNHknowledge
November 26th, 2005, 08:32 PM
If you travelled 5,000+ miles to Cal Poly, you must have started in England or Japan.

lol...you would correct my paper. C'mon Tod we're talkin football here not geography...you're better than that. :D

Tod
November 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
:)
lol...you would correct my paper. C'mon Tod we're talkin football here not geography...you're better than that. :D

LOL, just having fun. Ignore my drunk ass, if I'm serious I hope it comes out in the first few seconds so I don't waste your time. :) :)

ChickenMan
November 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM
If UNH had trouble with UC Davis they will really be in trouble against a Eastern Washington Team. I don't think they will be able to out score the Eagles unless conditions shut down all offensive production.

UNH will score on anyone and EWU hardly looks like a defensive juggernaught giving up 24 points in the 1st half vs UNI. As for UC Davis... that was the opener 12 games ago... hardly relevant.

UNHknowledge
November 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
UNH will score on anyone and EWU hardly looks like a defensive juggernaught giving up 24 points in the 1st half vs UNI. As for UC Davis... that was the opener 12 games ago... hardly relevant.

Thats why I love you Chickenman...don't worry we've given them fair warning. We warned UMass and they didn't want to hear it and I am sure that UMass plays better defense than EWU.

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 08:43 PM

UNH has proved they deserve the #1 seed by their winning season this year. And because they did so well they earn a first round game against Colgate. You have to play the team in front of you. By the way, UC Davis is a strong defensive team. I am not so sure about Colgate.

ngineer
November 26th, 2005, 08:45 PM
UNH was impressive. Especially Santos. Was my first chance to see him in action and didn't realize how big he is with the ability to run. Looked to me they saw the films of Lehigh's 50 point game against Colgate because they seemed to run Santos on very similar plays from the shotgun that Threatt did.
I also watched the Lafayette game, then and saw another explosive team in the Mountaineers. I don't care what some of the sour grapes clan says, Lafayette belonged in the field and I'm sure the App.State players will attest to that. That game's outcome was still in doubt with 5 min. to go in a game most everyone on this board--except the PLers and a few A-10's--thought would be a cakewalk.
I don't see either UNI or EWU beating UNH in that place. A UNH/App.State final will be electric.

dwtime
November 26th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Wow first time posting? :confused:

'If UNH had trouble with UC Davis they will really be in trouble with E Wash.' Based on what? First game of the season? playing out in Cali and not at home?

Hello? I think UNH is playing a bit better than the first game of the season and they are playing at home not out West. Don't get me wrong any team that wins now has to play very well but your assumption that UNH will get smoked at home based on their first game of the season holds no water.

ThreadStopper
November 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Wow first time posting? :confused:

'If UNH had trouble with UC Davis they will really be in trouble with E Wash.' Based on what? First game of the season? playing out in Cali and not at home?

Hello? I think UNH is playing a bit better than the first game of the season and they are playing at home not out West. Don't get me wrong any team that wins now has to play very well but your assumption that UNH will get smoked at home based on their first game of the season holds no water.

All the teams in the playoffs are playing well these days! That is how they got to the playoffs. The Mustangs beating Montana has just made me one happy camper! Unless you believe all you read it is very difficult to determine how good a team really is. Common opponents is one way, even if it was the first game of the season. Best of luck. Hope to see you down the road!

siugrad99
November 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Ricky Santos is one solid player. I watched the game today and was impressed at how effortlessly they worked on offense. Will be a great game next weekend @ UNH. Best of luck to both teams

colgate13
November 27th, 2005, 06:57 AM
If you don't think Santos and Ball and UNH in general looked awesome yesterday, you're crazy. They are that good and will roll through these playoffs. No one can outscore them. Remember what you thought of Colgate when they continue to put up 50+ on their way to a championship.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2005, 07:09 AM
A lot of people are going to soon discover... it wasn't that Colgate had a weak defense... it's just that UNH's offense is really good.

colgate13
November 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Frankly, Santos looked like he just stopped in Durham on the way to his game with the Patriots on Sunday. Ball looked unreal too. I am scared to think they are around as a duo next year too. UNH has a great shot to win back to back titles IMO.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Frankly, Santos looked like he just stopped in Durham on the way to his game with the Patriots on Sunday. Ball looked unreal too. I am scared to think they are around as a duo next year too. UNH has a great shot to win back to back titles IMO.

Damn 13, we haven't won a first one yet!! UNH posters are getting blasted for being arrogant and you're risking getting the same treatment! ;)

colgate13
November 27th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I'll go out even further on a limb: I have never seen as good a quarterback in I-AA as Santos. Scary good. Give him the Payton.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I'm becoming a believer in Santos too.

This is a guy that beat Rutgers and Georgia Southern on the road as a freshman :eek: . After seeing him against Colgate, he just looks like the complete package for a college QB......throws, runs and makes solid decisions.

colgate13
November 28th, 2005, 08:06 AM

This is a guy that beat Rutgers and Georgia Southern on the road as a freshman :eek: . After seeing him against Colgate, he just looks like the complete package for a college QB......throws, runs and makes solid decisions.

And is 6'2" 215 pounds and doesn't go down with an arm tackle!!!

He continues what he's done so far and he will be drafted quite high and make some NFL team very happy.

NovaHater
November 28th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Don't forget he beat Delaware first game of the season after UD came off winning the NC. Your starter got hurt in the game., Santos came off the bench and the rest was history.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Don't forget he beat Delaware first game of the season after UD came off winning the NC. Your starter got hurt in the game., Santos came off the bench and the rest was history.

I'm sorry NovaHater, but I've got to zing you on this one! There is a tradition of switching avatars to support your conference mates. MaineJeff is a hard core Black Bear who is, how do I say this, one of the more infamous AGS posters!

NovaHater, please proceed to the woodshed! :asswhip:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HensRock
November 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
He is right about the Delaware game though. Defending National Champions going in to the new season - Preseason #1 - Openning day at the Tub. The UNH senior starter, Granieri goes down and this true freshman comes in to replace him. 22,000+ licking our chops... By the end of the game we're saying - "Who the he!! is this Santos kid????" WOW!

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Wish the Philly Eagles would offload McNabb and pay a visit to Durham :hyped:

LBPop
November 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I'm not familiar with the Santos story. After watching him on Saturday, and with his size, I would assume that he had some interest from some I-A programs. Not that I mind the fact that he is playing I-AA--at least he can showcase his talent in a playoff. And he's not stuck behind a bunch of "beauty contest winners" in a I-A program. Can somebody please fill me in? Thanks.

WildcatFan
November 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
He got alot of interest initially from the larger schools but they backed off because he played for a small high school in Mass. Central Connecticut and UNH were the only schools to offer him a scholarship to play.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM
He is right about the Delaware game though. Defending National Champions going in to the new season - Preseason #1 - Openning day at the Tub. The UNH senior starter, Granieri goes down and this true freshman comes in to replace him. 22,000+ licking our chops... By the end of the game we're saying - "Who the he!! is this Santos kid????" WOW!

That he was HensRock!! The 100- UNH fans at the Tub, including me, are going what happened to Hassan Noble, I thought he was backup?????? Redshirt freshman Santos is so inexperienced that on a few occasions UNH puts "single wing" plays in with RJ Harvey taking the snap so the coaches can talk with Ricky. They only let him throw 14 times (IIRC) and amazingly he connects on all but one. Eventually UD gets the lead, but a seemingly unfazed Santos exhibits tremendous timing and touch when he hits Ball on the sideline for a 40+ yard game winning TD.

LBPop, the Reader's Digest version:

Spring practice ends with Santos 4th on the depth chart
UNH Media Guide doesn't include Santos in the QB info (other than a passing mention)
Coach McDonnell tells Ricky where he stands and challenges him to improve
During pre-season practice, the 3rd string QB (NH Native and a soph) decides to transfer to Miss State to play baseball
During practice before the UD game 2nd string QB Hassan Noble sprains his ankle.
Sr. QB Mike Granieri starts UD game primed for a season where he breaks multiple records, but goes down in the 2nd Qtr. with a knee injury
The week after the UD upset, UNH plays at Rutgers and upsets them with Santos (now allowed to throw often) hitting 4 TD passes IIRC
After a monsoon loss to W&M, Santos smokes Nova with 5 TD passes in PA
UNH finishes the season 9-2 (lost to UMass too) and makes the playoffs
UNH upsets Georgia Southern in Statesboro, first opening round loss at home ever for GSU
Season ends with a loss at Montana, but Santos and Ball compile incredible numbers for the season.

And he wasn't highly recruited by I-AA schools! UNH may have been his only offer, IIRC.