PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffins gets committ from number 1 rated recruit

Skjellyfetti
March 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/880/770030.jpg

Nation's top recruit chooses Tennessee

When Lane Kiffin was announced as the new coach at Tennessee, he vowed that he and his staff would go out and get the best players in the country.

Little did anyone expect that Kiffin and Co. would go out in three months and sign the nation's No. 1 player.

But in a press conference at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame, the Vols did just that in landing running back Bryce Brown.

"I asked God to reveal it to me," Brown said. "He gave me the sign. When I first went there (on official visit) I wasn't feeling it. I had a lot of concerns about Tennessee and the offense. When I went back, I got the sign. God told me that I was a Volunteer. I just felt it."

That feel came mostly from seeing Tennessee work out Friday night inside Neyland Stadium.

"It was very important," Brown said of his unofficial visit over the weekend. "When I went there the first time, I just didn't get a good feel offensively of what they wanted to do. Seeing spring practice and seeing the offense work, it's exactly what I was looking for. They have a lot of coaches with NFL experience and I felt that they could help me best get prepared for the next level."

Like Brown's entire recruitment, Monday's announcement was full of suspense and some drama. It started 10 minutes late and Brown pulled out a Miami hat that he had been seen wearing Sunday and Monday.

But as it appeared he might be saying he was a Hurricane, Brown turned and handed the hat to his older brother Arthur Brown and donned a Tennessee hat declaring he was a Vol.

http://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=924648

DuckDuckGriz
March 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thought we might get him in the backfield with Blount. Oh well, best of luck in Knoxville. Hope Lane recruited him cleanly xreadx

mcveyrl
March 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thought we might get him in the backfield with Blount. Oh well, best of luck in Knoxville. Hope Lane recruited him cleanly xreadx

Tennessee is going to get a lot of top recruits for one of the reasons listed by Brown. Coaches with NFL experience and a promise to get them ready for the next level.

Hansel
March 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

If he went to Oregon he would be pumping gas for the rest of his life xnodx

Skjellyfetti
March 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Tennessee jumped into the top 10 on both Scout and Rivals.

First time I recall a number 1 rated recruit going to Tennessee. Peyton Manning, Kevin Simon, and Eric Berry were all close though.

What other coach has brought in a top 10 class their first year as a head coach?

DuckDuckGriz
March 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM
If he went to Oregon he would be pumping gas for the rest of his life xnodx

I allllmost bit on that hook. xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
March 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Tennessee is going to get a lot of top recruits for one of the reasons listed by Brown. Coaches with NFL experience and a promise to get them ready for the next level.

Could be - but Oregon has built a itself as a Running Back U.

Every RB since 1999 that has been a starter for the Ducks, even alongside another runningback - has been drafted and all but one (Whitehead) has gone to start in the NFL at one time or another:

Reuben Droughns
Onterrio Smith
Maurice Morris
Terrence Whitehead
Jonathan Stewart
(presumably) Jeremiah Johnson

Touchdown Yosef
March 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Tennessee jumped into the top 10 on both Scout and Rivals.

First time I recall a number 1 rated recruit going to Tennessee. Peyton Manning, Kevin Simon, and Eric Berry were all close though.

What other coach has brought in a top 10 class their first year as a head coach?

I believe Saban did at Alabama

foghorn
March 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
C'mon fellas, he said he got the 'sign' from God himself. I guess God's a real good X's and O's guy!xsmiley_wix. Kiffin supplied the 'burning bush'.
I wonder if God appreciates this kid's humility. Wearing a Miami hat around and then shunning it at the last second for a Tenn. hat, as if everyone is kept in suspense and really gives a sheet. This hyping of high school kids is getting way out of hand. xcoffeex

DuckDuckGriz
March 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
C'mon fellas, he said he got the 'sign' from God himself. I guess God's a real good X's and O's guy!xsmiley_wix. Kiffin supplied the 'burning bush'.
I wonder if God appreciates this kid's humility. Wearing a Miami hat around and then shunning it at the last second for a Tenn. hat, as if everyone is kept in suspense and really gives a sheet. This hyping of high school kids is getting way out of hand. xcoffeex

I think we all learned that it's been wayyyy out of hand with Terrell Pryor last year. That was a joke.

Skjellyfetti
March 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Is this a FCS site or what?

I posted it in the "Other Sports" section. "Other" meaning not related to FCS football. xconfusedx

813Jag
March 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Did the Vols find a QB?

mcveyrl
March 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Did the Vols find a QB?

Nope. I think they might've signed somebody, but Kiffin has said that he's sticking with the guys from last year.

They had signed Taj Boyd, one of the top spread QBs out of Phoebus in Hampton Roads, VA, but Kiffin told him he didn't fit his scheme and let him look elsewhere (I think he signed with Clemson)

813Jag
March 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Nope. I think they might've signed somebody, but Kiffin has said that he's sticking with the guys from last year.

They had signed Taj Boyd, one of the top spread QBs out of Phoebus in Hampton Roads, VA, but Kiffin told him he didn't fit his scheme and let him look elsewhere (I think he signed with Clemson)

Hopefully they look better this year. xlolxxlolx

mcveyrl
March 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hopefully they look better this year. xlolxxlolx

I wouldn't count on it. But they can't look much worse. :D

BTW, I'm not a UT fan, but smack dab in the middle of Vol country, so I hear all the rumblings and grumblings.

813Jag
March 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't count on it. But they can't look much worse. :D

BTW, I'm not a UT fan, but smack dab in the middle of Vol country, so I hear all the rumblings and grumblings.
I just like taking shots at people. I still carry a grudge from the Fiesta Bowl. xnonono2x

ISUMatt
March 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Im a Vol fan from Chicago...Tennessee will be improved

mcveyrl
March 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I just like taking shots at people. I still carry a grudge from the Fiesta Bowl. xnonono2x

Tee Martin....xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Skjellyfetti
March 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.yarbroughandassociates.com/images/THECATCH.1%20(1).jpg

http://smokeys-trail.com/98/mvpprice.jpg

813Jag
March 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.yarbroughandassociates.com/images/THECATCH.1%20(1).jpg

http://smokeys-trail.com/98/mvpprice.jpg
Between that game and the Sugar Bowl against Florida and Georgia, and the music city bowl against Kentucky. I truly hate the SEC East.

Reign of Terrier
March 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Between that game and the Sugar Bowl against Florida and Georgia, and the music city bowl against Kentucky. I truly hate the SEC East.

Now all you need is SC and Vandy to beat you...which is getting more and more likely in Vandy's case...but I digress.

I caught a few glimpses of this guy at the Army-AA game-he's good.

813Jag
March 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Now all you need is SC and Vandy to beat you...which is getting more and more likely in Vandy's case...but I digress.

I caught a few glimpses of this guy at the Army-AA game-he's good.
More and more likely? I don't think so, the Noles are on the rise. Thanks to the dummies that got caught cheating.

Skjellyfetti
March 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Long... but really good article on Kiffin:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11519221