PDA

View Full Version : HBCU baseball

MorgantonAPPAlum
February 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm sitting here watching Southern play SDSU on the MLB network and they are talking about the decline of baseball among black youths in the U.S. (Frank Robinson is sitting in with Joe Morgan in the booth for an inning or two).

Interesting stuff-among other things Robinson said that the expense is turning some parents off what with the emergence of traveling teams, etc. Any of the HBCU commenters here want to give us some context on the importance of baseball at HBCU schools? How many have good programs and how much interest is there in, and how much emphasis is there on, baseball at HBCU schools?

813Jag
February 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Programs at HBCU's run the gambit from pretty good to really bad. Schools like Southern, Jackson St, Texas Southern, Grambling, and Prairie View are usually SWAC contenders. Our schools feel the effects of a lack of black youth playing baseball. Pitching depth is the main weakness.

JagHammer
February 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Southern beat San Diego State last night 4-2.:)

blueballs
February 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
BCC has a pretty good baseball program but they have managed to augment their black talent with hispanics, which is perfectly normal since they're in Florida.

When I played on travelling teams in softball I had often commented about there not being any bad black players in national level softball, which is just a way of saying there was hardly any black players (I never figured out why) but the black players at that level were often very good- and good guys too.

One of my best friends from softball was a black guy who played at Lamar in the late 70's/early 80's by the name of Walter Washington. We used to call him "Pockets" because he was so skinny his back pockets touched together.

He might have weighed 170 pounds soaking wet and hit cleanup because he was a homerun machine. he was probably the smallest guy on the team and hit cleanup! A lot of times I hit leadoff at 215 lbs and was way more muscular than Walt, who routinely hit 375-400'+ shots. He is an incredible guy, married to a RN with two wonderful kids.

DSUrocks07
February 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm sitting here watching Southern play SDSU on the MLB network and they are talking about the decline of baseball among black youths in the U.S. (Frank Robinson is sitting in with Joe Morgan in the booth for an inning or two).

Interesting stuff-among other things Robinson said that the expense is turning some parents off what with the emergence of traveling teams, etc. Any of the HBCU commenters here want to give us some context on the importance of baseball at HBCU schools? How many have good programs and how much interest is there in, and how much emphasis is there on, baseball at HBCU schools?

Thats the reason why I stopped playing after little league. In my parents eyes, it was cheaper for me to play basketball than baseball.

Shoes
Ball
Hoop

and the only thing you really need is the ball.

I sorta miss playing tho.