PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Henton gone at Georgia Southern

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Head football coach Chris Hatcher announced Tuesday afternoon (Feb. 17) that quarterback Antonio Henton has left the program to seek playing opportunities elsewhere.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/02/17/georgia-southern-announces-qb-leaves-tea?blog=2

eaglewraith
February 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Happy now?

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Happy now?xconfusedx Happy that Henton is leaving the program? Are you?

I think GSU will be okay at the QB position and I hope Henton gets it together and settles somewhere.

BossEagle
February 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
xconfusedx Happy that Henton is leaving the program? Are you?

I think GSU will be okay at the QB position and I hope Henton gets it together and settles somewhere.

probably meant happy that theres and actual 'official' statement

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
probably meant happy that theres and actual 'official' statementI think a lot of people were waiting for that. Speculation was RAMPANT. I hope he finds a place. xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
February 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Looks like he signed at Youngstown State:

YSU Signs GSU Refugee (http://www.cross-dress.com/)

Go Pens!

blukeys
February 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Looks like he signed at Youngstown State:

YSU Signs GSU Refugee (http://www.cross-dress.com/)

Go Pens!

So will YSU abandon their own Mat Drills???xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_ wix

Baldy
February 18th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I think a lot of people were waiting for that. Speculation was RAMPANT. I hope he finds a place. xthumbsupx

I promise, there was no speculation, and it definitely wasn't running rampant.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I promise, there was no speculation, and it definitely wasn't running rampant.It certainly was rampant speculation (he quit, did he quit, he can't take it, is he or someone in his family sick, will he come back, will he transfer, will he be allowed to come back, etc.), read the GSU board and here:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56362

Baldy
February 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
It certainly was rampant speculation (he quit, did he quit, he can't take it, is he or someone in his family sick, will he come back, will he transfer, will he be allowed to come back, etc.), read the GSU board and here:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56362

OK, sorry. There was speculation on your part, but people who frequent the GSU boards have known without a doubt that Henton was gone and why he was gone for over a week now. xcoffeex

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
At least he is not going to throw away a chance for a free education. I wish him the best. We're still in good shape at the QB position.

GATA
February 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
OK, sorry. There was speculation on your part, but people who frequent the GSU boards have known without a doubt that Henton was gone and why he was gone for over a week now. xcoffeex

I have to agree.

The folks on the GSU board have known since last monday that Henton left the team during mat drills.

I believe the next day, somebody confirmed that he had cleaned out his dorm room and left...I'm not sure there was every any "speculation" from GSU fans to speak of. there was certainly some Antonio Henton bashing going on (which I still don't understand), but none of the reports were "speculation."

blueballs
February 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately for Henton, he is subject to the NCAA's one time transfer rule, which means that regardless of where he goes now- even if it is to D2- he will have to sit out a year and have only one year of eligibility remaining. In many ways it has been a wasted college football career for him. I just hope he does right academically and gets his degree, which is what college football at this level is all about in the end anyway.

eagleruckus
February 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
there was never "speculation" i was the one who said on the gsu board he had cleaned out his dorm room and that was no speculation, when i see with my own two eyes a guy and his brother take everything out of his room and leave it empty, there is no speculation, only fact

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
OK, sorry. There was speculation on your part...Huh? Where did I speculate? Here is where three different GSU fans on AGS posted speculation, besides the thread title itself:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303095&postcount=132
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303101&postcount=133
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303116&postcount=134

Doesn't really matter though since fans love to speculate and reports scuttlebutt. It is the old rumormill that sometimes rings true. Things take twists and turns and it ain't over til its over as they say. This is over. xthumbsupx

blukeys
February 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Darn!!!!! GSU should have been willing to go to the mat for this guy!!!xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

GATA
February 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Darn!!!!! GSU should have been willing to go to the mat for this guy!!!xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

LOL.

These damn Ohio State QB transfers are not working out.

Purple Pride
February 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
He's transferred to FVSU hasn't he?

Seven Would Be Nice
February 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
He's transferred to FVSU hasn't he?

That is the name everyone has been throwing out.

I'm assuming that is where he is from originally?

Syntax Error
February 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
What is FVSU?

blueballs
February 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM
What is FVSU?

Fort Valley State University, a HBCU D2 in Fort Valley, GA which is just SE of Macon. Henton is from that area.

Eagle22
February 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Fort Valley State University (FVSU)

Division II school, located in Fort Valley (Peach County).

Henton played high school ball at Peach County High School.

danefan
February 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
So now that he's gone what does GSU have to replace him? What should we Albany fans expect to see on September 5th.

I'm considering making the trip down, but its not the most convenient location to get to. Any travel tips?

blueballs
February 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
So now that he's gone what does GSU have to replace him? What should we Albany fans expect to see on September 5th.

I'm considering making the trip down, but its not the most convenient location to get to. Any travel tips?

The closest airport to Statesboro is Savannah, which is about 50 miles away. Delta has a direct flight from LaGuardia and Continental has a direct flight from Newark.

I wouldn't stay in Statesboro. I would rent a car and stay in downtown Savannah at one of the B&B's or hotels in the historic district or get a place at the beach. It is a short and easy drive from Savannah to Statesboro/GSU.

You are more than welcome to tailgate with us at the nearly locally infamous Red Flag Tailgate. Just about every GSU fan who attends the games that post here either tailgates there or stops by.

PM me as the game gets closer and you start to make arrangements and I'll advise you as I can.

Almost forgot... GSU will most likely start Lee Chapple at QB against UA. Chapple split time with Henton last year before finally winning the job outright with three games left in the season. RS Soph with a really strong and accurate arm, good leader and clutch. At times he tended to hold the ball too long and take sacks but really improved in that regard as the season went on. GSU only had two SR OL in their entire program last year so they return a whole of talent and depth there. They lose their top 3 receivers though so that position is a question mark.

GSU will be strong at LB and in the secondary while DL is a question mark.

GSU will be young, fast and talented yet inexperienced at several spots. How they'll fare at the first of the season is anybody's guess.

danefan
February 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
The closest airport to Statesboro is Savannah, which is about 50 miles away. Delta has a direct flight from LaGuardia and Continental has a direct flight from Newark.

I wouldn't stay in Statesboro. I would rent a car and stay in downtown Savannah at one of the B&B's or hotels in the historic district or get a place at the beach. It is a short and easy drive from Savannah to Statesboro/GSU.

You are more than welcome to tailgate with us at the nearly locally infamous Red Flag Tailgate. Just about every GSU fan who attends the games that post here either tailgates there or stops by.

PM me as the game gets closer and you start to make arrangements and I'll advise you as I can.

Almost forgot... GSU will most likely start Lee Chapple at QB against UA. Chapple split time with Henton last year before finally winning the job outright with three games left in the season. RS Soph with a really strong and accurate arm, good leader and clutch. At times he tended to hold the ball too long and take sacks but really improved in that regard as the season went on. GSU only had two SR OL in their entire program last year so they return a whole of talent and depth there. They lose their top 3 receivers though so that position is a question mark.

GSU will be strong at LB and in the secondary while DL is a question mark.

GSU will be young, fast and talented yet inexperienced at several spots. How they'll fare at the first of the season is anybody's guess.

Thanks I just checked out the flights and some hotels in the historic district. Looks pretty good and affordable. Flights were about $300 and hotels are around $100. I'm definitely going to try and make it down. I'll get in touch when things get closer. xthumbsupx

Albany should be in pretty good shape next year. They have reload on the O-line but they have the benefit of having the nation's #1 RB returning behind them which should take a little pressure off the pass blocking hopefully by opening up some playaction. A three-year starting QB is also a plus, especially for a young O-line.

The atmosphere shouldn't be overwhelming for these guys, as it would for most NEC teams, as a lot of them have played at Montana and Delaware twice. Hopefully, GSU doesn't have too much memory of that loss to CCSU and somehow lets UA sneak up again! xthumbsupx

GATA
February 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hopefully, GSU doesn't have too much memory of that loss to CCSU and somehow lets UA sneak up again! xthumbsupx

AWww...why did you bring that up!? xsmiley_wix

danefan
February 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM
AWww...why did you bring that up!? xsmiley_wix

Us "forced to be associated with the NEC" guys have to hang our hat on something. xnodx:Dxsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hopefully, GSU doesn't have too much memory of that loss to CCSU and somehow lets UA sneak up again! xthumbsupx

Well, it'll help that Hatcher doesn't call the game a "scrimmage". xlolx

blueballs
February 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
The atmosphere shouldn't be overwhelming for these guys, as it would for most NEC teams, as a lot of them have played at Montana and Delaware twice. Hopefully, GSU doesn't have too much memory of that loss to CCSU and somehow lets UA sneak up again! xthumbsupx

The atmosphere analogy is correct as far as the crowd, pomp, circumstance, etc. but GSU has one thing Montana and Delaware don't have at the end of August/start of September, 95 or more degrees and 80% humidity.

I can't begin to tell you miserable it is in SE GA at times that time of year... it is something you have to experience to appreciate, and is incredibly tough for northern teams to prepare for- even if the game is at night.

danefan
February 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
The atmosphere analogy is correct as far as the crowd, pomp, circumstance, etc. but GSU has one thing Montana and Delaware don't have at the end of August/start of September, 95 or more degrees and 80% humidity.

I can't begin to tell you miserable it is in SE GA at times that time of year... it is something you have to experience to appreciate, and is incredibly tough for northern teams to prepare for- even if the game is at night.

Now that is something I didn't think about. Should be interesting to say the least. I'm sure they'll be a lot of cramping, etc. It can get pretty hot up in Albany in August, but the humidity is nowhere near the Southeast.

I'm sure the IV liquids will be flowing!

GATA
February 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Now that is something I didn't think about. Should be interesting to say the least. I'm sure they'll be a lot of cramping, etc. It can get pretty hot up in Albany in August, but the humidity is nowhere near the Southeast.

I remember in 2006 I went to the homecoming game against App State and I was dying from the heat...it was like October too!

At the end of regulation I was almost hoping that App State would just throw a hail mary and win the game because I though I would die from the heat if we went to OT!

Baldy
February 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Huh? Where did I speculate? Here is where three different GSU fans on AGS posted speculation, besides the thread title itself:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303095&postcount=132
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303101&postcount=133
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1303116&postcount=134

Doesn't really matter though since fans love to speculate and reports scuttlebutt. It is the old rumormill that sometimes rings true. Things take twists and turns and it ain't over til its over as they say. This is over. xthumbsupx

First hand eyewitnesses does not equal speculation unless you choose not to believe what is being reported. I and many many others knew the facts, therefore no rumor or speculation. It was done deal... xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
February 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
First hand eyewitnesses does not equal speculation unless you choose not to believe what is being reported. I and many many others knew the facts, therefore no rumor or speculation. It was done deal... xthumbsupx"First hand eyewitnesses" that he left the program and was seeking opportunities elsewhere? Dang, you guys are good. No one else knew but you guys did! Everyone knew he left drills and cleaned out his locker and room. From there on there was speculation on how it would end. Now everyone knows that. xthumbsupx

blueballs
February 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM

That is why I prefer clear liquors at our tailgate, like vodka, gin and tequila, early in the season and then move back towrds my two close friends Jack Daniels and Jim Beam, as the weather cools.

You are more than welcome to hang with my group and use my spare tickets... that is if you don't mind 50 YL seats 10 rows up on the home side.xsmiley_wix

danefan
February 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
That is why I prefer clear liquors at our tailgate, like vodka, gin and tequila, early in the season and then move back towrds my two close friends Jack Daniels and Jim Beam, as the weather cools.

You are more than welcome to hang with my group and use my spare tickets... that is if you don't mind 50 YL seats 10 rows up on the home side.xsmiley_wix

Thanks for the offers. If I'm there I'll definitely be at the tailgate! The first thing I thought about when we started talking about the heat was that the beer at the tailgate just got ruled out. xlolx

I'll have to wait and see what the plans are. I may be traveling with a crew. It appears that UAlbany will be chartering a flight for fans this year again, like it has in the past for the Montana games. That means they'll probably have a section of tickets and a plane load of fans.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM
You are more than welcome to hang with my group and use my spare tickets... that is if you don't mind 50 YL seats 10 rows up on the home side.xsmiley_wixBe aware that the visitors side has the student section too. You cannot go wrong with the RFG and blueballs/ Baldy/ Eaglegus2/ etc. Top notch friends and an incredible experience in Statesboro. Be sure to go early to see the athletic center with the trophies, beautiful Eagle Creek, the Erk statue, the yellow buses, and of course the six flags. Gawd how that place is steeped in FCS history. Makes me goosebump every time. xnodx

Tribe4SF
February 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Be aware that the visitors side has the student section too. You cannot go wrong with the RFG and blueballs/ Baldy/ Eaglegus2/ etc. Top notch friends and an incredible experience in Statesboro. Be sure to go early to see the athletic center with the trophies, beautiful Eagle Creek, the Erk statue, the yellow buses, and of course the six flags. Gawd how that place is steeped in FCS history. Makes me goosebump every time. xnodx

It is a special place. Hope to get back some time. The Tribe is 1-0 in Statesboro!xthumbsupx

Baldy
February 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
"First hand eyewitnesses" that he left the program and was seeking opportunities elsewhere? Dang, you guys are good. No one else knew but you guys did! Everyone knew he left drills and cleaned out his locker and room. From there on there was speculation on how it would end. Now everyone knows that. xthumbsupx

Exactly...

We all know how it ended before the press release. After he walked out on his teammates, and Hatch said don't come back. It was over, and as far as I was concerned it ended there. As for the speculation to where he goes. I and I'm sure most of the GSU fans don't really care. We wish him well but don't care where he ends up. I'll let you and some of the others on here worry about the DII stuff. xpeacex

BossEagle
February 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Exactly...

We all know how it ended before the press release. After he walked out on his teammates, and Hatch said don't come back. It was over, and as far as I was concerned it ended there. As for the speculation to where he goes. I and I'm sure most of the GSU fans don't really care. We wish him well but don't care where he ends up. I'll let you and some of the others on here worry about the DII stuff. xpeacex

Co-sign...........MESSAGE

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'll let you and some of the others on here worry about the DII stuff. What is DII? xrolleyesx The speculation all came from the GSU fan site and GSU fans here. While I am a GSU fan, I never speculated no matter how many times you lie about it. xwhistlex

Baldy
February 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
What is DII? xrolleyesx The speculation all came from the GSU fan site and GSU fans here. While I am a GSU fan, I never speculated no matter how many times you lie about it. xwhistlex

No, sorry.

There was a little speculation at first on the GSU board, but it was confirmed by facts from multiple sources very quickly after.

By the time it was posted on AGS that Henton had left the team, it was a done deal, an undeniable fact. xthumbsupx

Some on here chose not to believe the facts, speculated on their own, and waited for something "official" to be released. That is perfectly fine to do if you choose, but there is no need to try and accuse someone of spreading rumors from the "rumor mill" and 'speculation' when those people know the information presented is a fact.

Carry on... xpeacex

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
... By the time it was posted on AGS that Henton had left the team, it was a done deal, an undeniable fact... spreading rumors from the "rumor mill" and 'speculation' when those people know the information presented is a fact.The FACT was released by the University, not by some fans on a messageboard. Sorry. Carry on... xnodx

eagleruckus
February 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
how does seeing something with my own eyes then telling other people via the internet equal speculation? If you choose to think i am lying then believe that, but when i said henton and his brother cleaned out his room, they had in fact cleaned out his room, no specutlation here

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
how does seeing something with my own eyes then telling other people via the internet equal speculation? If you choose to think i am lying then believe that, but when i said henton and his brother cleaned out his room, they had in fact cleaned out his room, no specutlation here
"First hand eyewitnesses" that he left the program and was seeking opportunities elsewhere? Dang, you guys are good. No one else knew but you guys did! Everyone knew he left drills and cleaned out his locker and room. From there on there was speculation on how it would end. Now everyone knows that. What makes you think "you choose to think i am lying"? xeyebrowx

eagleruckus
February 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
what are you talking about, i said YOU could choose to believe that i am lying when i wrote on gsufans.com that i SAW WITH MY OWN TWO EYES ANTONIO HENTON AND HIS BROTHER clean out his dorm room and leave, i never said anything about you lying, if you choose not to believe when i posted that i saw this then you could call it speculation, the whole point is you said the speculation could end now when the majority of us have not been speculating but reporting first hand knowledge.

Syntax Error
February 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
what are you talking about, i said YOU could choose to believe that i am lying...It's all right. I never said or even hinted that YOU were lying or that YOU were speculating. I said (thanks to you apparently) that everyone knew what you reported. The speculation was after that. Geez, I posted links showing speculation yet some people said there was NONE! No big deal, just setting the record straight. xpeacex

BossEagle
February 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
now i kinda miss reading post about mat drills, a little more entertaining than reading about 'speculation'

Kill'em
February 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Be aware that the visitors side has the student section too. You cannot go wrong with the RFG and blueballs/ Baldy/ Eaglegus2/ etc. Top notch friends and an incredible experience in Statesboro. Be sure to go early to see the athletic center with the trophies, beautiful Eagle Creek, the Erk statue, the yellow buses, and of course the six flags. Gawd how that place is steeped in FCS history. Makes me goosebump every time. xnodx

And me!:D