PDA

View Full Version : No Going Home For Griffey: Junior Chooses Braves Over Mariners

UNHWildCats
February 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. has chosen the Atlanta Braves over the Seattle Mariners, a person close to the veteran star told the Atlanta Journal-Consitution.

Braves general manager Frank Wren met with Griffey at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex on Monday afternoon, mlb.com reported.

Griffey, 39, was reportedly leaning toward a reunion with the Seattle Mariners last week, but also made it known that he would like to join the Braves by contacting Chipper Jones and making sure Atlanta general manager Frank Wren know he was interested.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29199886/

Ivytalk
February 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
The Braves have better wheelchairs!:D

Big Dawg
February 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
YES!!! LET"S GO BRAVES!!!

I've always been a huge Griffey Jr. fan.

JMU DJ
February 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
This will only make watching the Phils beat up on the Bravos at Turner Field more enjoyable this coming season.

Big Dawg
February 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
This will only make watching the Phils beat up on the Bravos at Turner Field more enjoyable this coming season.

We'll see...Scalp 'em

JMU DJ
February 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
We'll see...Scalp 'em

I'll be in my usual spot... dollar ticket, Budweiser deck, heckling the pitchers in the bull pen :D (I don't heckle... but I did laugh when someone heckled Mike Hampton last year when he started warming up... "Where do you think you're going? Sit back on the bench and earn your money the real way"... and he sat back on the bench). Great part of the stadium to be in if Griffey gets put in Right.

asucrutch23
February 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
If nothing else, this is a great business move for the Braves. Griffey should put some more butts in the seats. Go Braves!

SunCoastBlueHen
February 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Adding a .250 / 18 HR / 70 RBI guy to the line-up should strike fear in the rest of the NL East. :p

mcveyrl
February 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Adding a .250 / 18 HR / 70 RBI guy to the line-up should strike fear in the rest of the NL East. :p

I heard somewhere that the Braves left field position produced only 6 HRs last year. So, it should be an improvement!! :D

Also, if they platoon Griffey he bats .275 against right handers.

So, yea, take that NL East!!

dgreco
February 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
good for griffey! except he doesnt have much of a chance winning his ring in Atlanta either.

blueballs
February 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Griffey will platoon in LF with Matt Diaz... which should work out okay for the Braves because Griff hits RHP well and Diaz destroys LHP.

It will be Josh Anderson, Gregor Blanco or Jordan Schaefer in CF- my bet is on Anderson to win the job in the spring and Schafer to assume the spot by July and man it for 10 years- and Francoeur in RF. Obviously it all boils down to Diaz and Griffey staying healthy and Francoeur returning to his pre-2008 form.

The Braves will be better because there is absolutely no way they can be as snakebit with injuries as they were last year. All in all, getting Griffey was a good signing for the price.

SuperJon
February 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I've been wanting this since I was five years old.

Big Dawg
February 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I just hope that he can stay healthy. That's my biggest concern with signing him at this point in his career.

Touchdown Yosef
February 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
good for griffey! except he doesnt have much of a chance winning his ring in Atlanta either.

I thought at the end of last year his goal was to play for a competitor? Nothing against atlanta but I don't see them playing for a title this year. I guess he changed his mind but I would have thought there were better options for him. I would have liked to see him show up in Tampa or St. Louis.

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I'll be back down there sooner rather than later my friend

ISUMatt
February 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The White Sox had Jr at the end of the season last year and offensively, he didnt have it anymore...better than average in CF, even threw Cuddyer out at the plate in the play-in game, but on O, he had nothing

ISUMatt
February 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I just hope that he can stay healthy. That's my biggest concern with signing him at this point in his career.

In the NL, you can really only play him 4 days a week

andy7171
February 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Why wouldn't he go back to the AL to DH?

whitey
February 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Wow. The Braves usually don't make bad decisions.

Hood
February 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Holy Smokes! JUNIOR is 39!?!!? Sheesh! Seems like yesterday his upper deck rookie card was lighting up the trading card hobby.

Marcus Garvey
February 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
As a Phillies fan, I think the phrase that best sums up my reaction to this signing is "whoopdee f--king doo."

ngineer
February 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Griffey will platoon in LF with Matt Diaz... which should work out okay for the Braves because Griff hits RHP well and Diaz destroys LHP.

It will be Josh Anderson, Gregor Blanco or Jordan Schaefer in CF- my bet is on Anderson to win the job in the spring and Schafer to assume the spot by July and man it for 10 years- and Francoeur in RF. Obviously it all boils down to Diaz and Griffey staying healthy and Francoeur returning to his pre-2008 form.

The Braves will be better because there is absolutely no way they can be as snakebit with injuries as they were last year. All in all, getting Griffey was a good signing for the price.

Unfortunately, the last five years or so for Griffey have been just that--snakebit with injuries. Won't be surprised if he lands on the DL by July. I hope not, as I really like Junior, but it just seems the body is broken down.

I Bleed Purple
February 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
As a Phillies fan, I think the phrase that best sums up my reaction to this signing is "whoopdee f--king doo."

As a Braves fan, it's a little more significant.

We found out last year that Diaz is not an everyday player. I think his avg. dropped 100 points as a regular last year over his platooning duties of the year before. Braves play against a lot of lefties, so the playing time should be around even.

gmoney55
February 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Probably not, but you know that Chipper and Griffey at least are both going to have their yearly injury.

blueballs
February 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
... and while I am in complete agreement about Chipper and Griffey being brittle the odds are against the Braves having 4 out of their 5 startering pitchers they break camp with on the DL for at least 2 months at some point in the season like last year, nor is it likely they will have their top 3 relievers on the DL for at least 2 months at some point in the season like last year.

The Braves will be better if for no other reason than better durability in the pitching staff. Whether that's enough to compete for the division or a wild card... well that's why they play 162.

LehighFan11
February 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Atlanta needs to stop breaking stories before they are true. This could be the 4th huge disappointment of the offseason. First Peavy, then Burnett, then Furcal. I'm throwing something if Griffey goes to the Mariners. Griffey isn't the answer, but it helps alot in the OF and boosts team moral with a signing like Griffey.

whitey
February 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm surprised two teams actually want to sign Griffey...

ISUMatt
February 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Javy Vazquez is not an upgrade for your pitching staff turst me...that guy has no balls in any big game

Shellin
February 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Griffey is coming to Seattle after all!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3917214

UNHWildCats
February 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
ok so apparently you can go home again lol

dgreco
February 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
just read it on ESPN. A little bizarre, I thought he signed a contract, but I guess not.

gmoney55
February 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
just read it on ESPN. A little bizarre, I thought he signed a contract, but I guess not.

That is bizarre....that's twice this offseason for the Braves, too. Strange.