PDA

View Full Version : New Football League: UFL

Retro
February 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
A new Pro Football League is set to start this fall...

http://www.ufl-football.com/home

YaleFootballFan
February 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
2009 UFL Markets
Hartford
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Orlando
New York
San Francisco
Sacramento

According to the UFL website, the Yale Bowl and Rentschler Field are both listed as a possible homes for the Hartford franchise. Seeing that Rentschler Field is actually in the Hartford market I can't see why they wouldn't play there. That said, I can see the Yale Bowl host maybe one game a year just to help draw interest from the New Haven area.

dgreco
February 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
this will never happen, just like the AAFL who had a draft or any other league.

Cobblestone
February 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
When will UFL games be played?

The UFL will play in the fall, during traditional football season, to establish the league as a viable entity and will offer real, 11-on-11, outdoor professional football in NFL quality stadiums/venues. The UFL will play its regular season games on Thursday and Friday evenings in the fall, with the first regular season game kicking off in October and the Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.

They're finished.

The only chance they would have is to do what the USFL originally did and that is play in the spring. When the USFL decided to compete head-to-head with the NFL that was their demise.

I'd like to see this league survive since I feel the NFL has become less and less about football and more about marketing and commecrialism. Still the NFL remains a juggernaut that very few sports leagues can compete with.

I give these guys credit for at least trying. It doesn't sound like it'll be a joke like the XFL was but I really can't see it lasting or ever even getting off the ground.

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
They're finished.

The only chance they would have is to do what the USFL originally did and that is play in the spring. When the USFL decided to compete head-to-head with the NFL that was their demise.

I'd like to see this league survive since I feel the NFL has become less and less about football and more about marketing and commerialism. Still the NFL remains a juggernaut that very few sports leagues can compete with.

I give these guys credit for at least trying. It doesn't sound like it'll be a joke like the XFL was but I really can't see it lasting or ever even getting off the ground.

This would've had a better chance of working 5 or 6 years ago. But now, college football is on virtually every night of the week, so Thursday and Friday aren't even good days. People are going to be tuning to ESPN to watch the MAC game of the week over a second tier football league.

JMU Newbill
February 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Bring back the XFL!!!!!

andy7171
February 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Why doesn't the NFL sponser what they had over in Europe here in secondary markets during Spring?
A minor league spring season? They'd make a killing.

GeauxLions94
February 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Bring back the XFL!!!!!

Bring back the USFL!!!

Why doesn't the NFL sponser what they had over in Europe here in secondary markets during Spring?
A minor league spring season? They'd make a killing.

Totally agree. Put teams in decent sized markets (Birmingham, Tulsa, Las Vegas, etc.) and compete in the spring. Heck, even LA could have a team xthumbsupx

SU Jag
February 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Im currently playing in the PFL a minor league with tams ranging from Georgia to Texas. Check it out www.thepfl.org. I got interested in the Gridiron League but I lost interest after a found out how disorganized it was.

danefan
February 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Im currently playing in the PFL a minor league with tams ranging from Georgia to Texas. Check it out www.thepfl.org (http://www.thepfl.org). I got interested in the Gridiron League but I lost interest after a found out how disorganized it was.

Hahahaahahhah!
I thought you were making a joke about the PFL - the Pioneer Football League.xlolxxlolxxlolx

GeauxColonels
February 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. But I echo the sentiments of several people on this board. Why not follow the original business plan of the USFL and play in the spring? True, the Arena League plays in the spring, but people are starving for outdoor football at that time of year.

griz37
February 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Isn't Jim Fassel the new coach of the Las Vegas franchise?

GeauxLions94
February 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. But I echo the sentiments of several people on this board. Why not follow the original business plan of the USFL and play in the spring? True, the Arena League plays in the spring, but people are starving for outdoor football at that time of year.

The Arena League (the main one and not AF2) cancelled the entire 2009 season. Thought the league was in trouble when New Orleans (one of the better teams in terms of attendance) folded after last season.

Arena Football Link (http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=3633481)