PDA

View Full Version : Faver Retires Again... *yawn*

Thunderstruck84
February 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

He'll be a Viking by the time July rolls around. :D

GoBlueHens83
February 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I wish he would just retire FOR GOOD. He has had a great career, and no one can take that away from him. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

JMU DJ
February 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I wish he would just retire FOR GOOD. He has had a great career, and no one can take that away from him. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Except for when he decides to make that Rodger Clemens savior like comeback only to be outed as a cheater. :D

whitey
February 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thank You! I'm a huge Jets fan. Favre was obviously the best QB we had on our roster but his $13MM cap hit was going to kill us this year. Between this and cutting Barret yesterday the Jets are now $1.5MM under the $123MM cap limit. Or $12MM under if the salary cap is $130MM this year (I've heard conflicting reports).

With some more cuts likely (Chris Baker, etc.). Plus some restructurings (Moore, Pace, Rhodes, etc.) the Jets should have plenty of space to sign their picks + make a play for a few FAs. No matter what I don't see the Jets as big players for the marquee FA's this year like they were last year but that's okay with me. I'd love to sign Bart Scott though to play next to David Harris.

The Jets have a huge question mark at QB now with Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge the only QBs on the roster. Two of which have never seen an NFL snap. I'd be okay with signing a Leftwich or the like now and having him compete with Clemens for the starting job. The Jets OL is good...they are very good. So they might be able to get away with not having a stud QB if they can rely on the OL and the running game.

dgreco
February 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
hopefully this is it. The past three years Favre has been up and down, mostly down, and annoying with his retire/unretire/retire/unretire gig

bluehenbillk
February 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I hope if he's saying this that he actually retires, just make up your mind one way or another. Not good news for the Jets though for the short-term, who the heck is their QB gonna be? Nobody any good.

jstate83
February 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Just like I said last Spring and Summer.
I'll believe Bret Farve is retired when the Football season start's and he is not listed on anyone's roster.xcoffeex

whitey
February 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well I think it might actually be official this time as I just got this e-mail from the NY Jets:

Celebrate the historic career of Brett Favre. All Brett Favre jerseys, caps, collectibles and more now 50% Off at the Jets Shop!

:)

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM
This site is already reporting he may re-think this decision.

Favre Retiring...For Now (Fox Sports) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

whitey
February 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
You bastard! Man I love this video.

ISUMatt
February 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I would be pretty bitter if too if I were the Jets, but this might not be the best way to honor the great Brett Favre. If you head over to Jets.com, you can buy any Favre merchandise for 50% off!

whitey
February 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I don't think the Jets are bitter at all. They got Favre to make a one year run at it. It didn't work out. Now he's retiring and his $13MM cap hit is off the books. The Jets of course might have to go with Kellen Clemens at QB next year. But I think I'm almost okay with giving the guy another chance. He didn't play great in 2007 but the Jets OL was the worst in the league that year.

The Jets now have one of the top O-Lines after acquiring Faneca and Woody last offseason as well as the continued maturation of Mangold and DBrick. I'd say sign a veteran backup with some starting experience to compete with Clemens or draft a QB if there is good value at #17 overall and maybe let Clemens start the season as the #1 QB behind a good OL, a great running game and (with what I'm hoping is going to be) a much improved Rex Ryan defense backing them up.

Retro
February 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Let me know when he faxes in his official retirement paperwork?

A few years ago i was in orlando for a show and was talking with Herschel Walker and he said he hadn't faxed in his retirement paperwork, even though at that time he hadn't played in 3-4 years..

tribe_pride
February 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM

He may be in the league but not as a Viking. I think the Jets have to give the Pack 2 1st round picks if he is traded there.

whitey
February 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
He may be in the league but not as a Viking. I think the Jets have to give the Pack 2 1st round picks if he is traded there.

Not anymore. That clause would have only taken effect had the Jets traded Favre to the Vikings prior to or during the 2008 season. So if Favre changes his mind one week in training camp this summer the Jets could turn around and trade him to the Vikes without any draft pick compensation going to Green Bay.

Speaking of draft picks. Apparently the Jets/Packers trade for Favre had a clause where if Favre retired after one year the Packers would ship a late round selection in the 2009 draft back to the Jets. I don't know what round right now. The Jets of course still have to give their 3rd round pick in this years draft to Green Bay.

Ivytalk
February 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm confused. Is the "pick 6" a NY lotto game or a monument to Brett Favre's last two years?xconfusedx:p

tribe_pride
May 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bump

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

Hammerhead
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Like many Vikings fans, I might throw up in my mouth a little bit the first time I see Favre in a Purple #4 jersey. That being said, he's got to be as good at the other QBs on the current roster.

LeopardFan04
May 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm confused. Is the "pick 6" a NY lotto game or a monument to Brett Favre's last two years?xconfusedx:p

xlolxxlolxxlolx

GannonFan
May 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Favre - doing everything he can to tarnish the good image he lef the game with - the first time he left the game. I'm not in anyway a Packers fan, but I might have to root heavily for the Pack in their two games this year versus Favre and the Vikes.

introvertedGSUfan
May 6th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Wow, guess what ESPN will be talking about the ENTIRE SUMMER?! Could the NFL institute a rule where you can only retire twice and after that you're not allowed back?

whitey
May 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
So I guess the Vikings didn't watch the Jets game tape from the final 6 games last season?

ngineer
May 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Favre is getting annoying. I've admired his career, but this 'soap opera' of his retiring or not is real old. Reminds me of some of the old punch drunk boxers who didn't know when to quit..xsmhx

Ivytalk
May 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Brett Favre: the Harold Stassen of the NFLxcoolx

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Just means I get a 3rd annual Brett Favre retirement luncheon with my former co-workers. xlolx

jstate83
May 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I done told ya'll 3 times.xlolx

DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THIS FRAVE RETIRING CRAP UNTIL THE SEASON START'S AND HE'S IN SOUTH MISSISSIPPI FISHING AND HUINTING.
xlmaox

gmoney55
May 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Is Favre better than Sage Rosenfels anyway? Probably not at this point of their careers.

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Is Favre better than Sage Rosenfels anyway? Probably not at this point of their careers.

SHHHHHHHHHHH

Let the Vikings take themselves out with this move. xlolx

McNeese75
May 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Ole Brett is really turing into a POS with all this BS. I hope he works his way right out of the HOF xlolx

Thunderstruck84
May 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Posted on 2/11/2009 - the day Faverah retired:

How's that for foreshadowing.

Now who should I pick for the FCS title game in December. xchinscratchx

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Posted on 2/11/2009 - the day Faverah retired:

How's that for foreshadowing.

Now who should I pick for the FCS title game in December. xchinscratchx

What are the lottery numbers for tonight? xnodx

Gil Dobie
May 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Reports in the Twin Cities say Childress is still in Minnesota xoopsx

Thunderstruck84
May 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Reports in the Twin Cities say Childress is still in Minnesota xoopsx
No worries, they just had a quick conversation Wednesday night and then Childress flew home:

Chilly: Hey Brett
Favre: Hey Brad
Chilly: You wanna play for the Vikings this year?
Favre: Yup
Chilly: See you May 29th for minicamp
Favre: I'll bring my wranglers

xsmiley_wix