PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. the Nation Recap

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Last season the game had more players in camps than any other game and led all games in attendance. Over 43,000 attended this game, more than the SB and Shrine combined. Congrats to the game and those who particated. About 50-55 combine invites were in El Paso this past week. For those who missed it you missed a great game! xthumbsupx

FYI, anonymous NFL scouts are telling the media that this game is ran better than the SB. While the SB will always get their choice over the other, it will be interesting to see what players do next year with invites to Shrine as well after seeing the attendance and hearing how well it was ran.

http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/013109aaa.html

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
complete snoozer of a game for FCS fans

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM

Some of the top players backed out at the last minute or got hurt during the week. Not many of the top players in the game were from FCS schools but there were a few from D2 and D3 who showed that talent really does get overlooked by all of D1. There were a few good FCS names such as Dobson Collins, Colt Anderson, and Pierre Walters though. I would have liked to have seen Jaron Harris or Nathan Williams in the game. I think they both would have been solid additions.

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Northwestern State's Dudley Guice, SLC Offensive Player of the Year did catch a TD pass.

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM
Northwestern State's Dudley Guice, SLC Offensive Player of the Year did catch a TD pass.

I did forget Guice. He is solid and had some nice interest from the NFL guys from what I heard last week.

Just so you know, Guice was not the 2008 SLC OFF POY. He was the student-athlete of the year. The POY was Nathan Brown while Pendland was the OFF POY.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Just so you know, Guice was not the 2008 SLC OFF POY. He was the student-athlete of the year. The OFF POY was Nathan Brown.

I was very confused when SE said Guice was SLC Off POTY...and then SCFBFan said Brown...

Seriously, guys? May have to ask you to leave the SLC to me. xlolx

Brown was PLAYER OF THE YEAR and Pendland of McNeese was OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

BEAR
February 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
I did forget Guice. He is solid and had some nice interest from the NFL guys from what I heard last week.

Just so you know, Guice was not the 2008 SLC OFF POY. He was the student-athlete of the year. The OFF POY was Nathan Brown.

Actually, Nathan Brown wasn't the Offensive player of the year for 2008. He was the Player of the Year. Offensive player of the year went to someone else...(que TT here)xlolx

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Actually, Nathan Brown wasn't the Offensive player of the year for 2008. He was the Player of the Year. Offensive player of the year went to someone else...(que TT here)xlolx

Already got you covered -- see above. ;)

danefan
February 2nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch, but any thoughts on how Jason Boltus did? His stats didn't look great with only 5 out of 12 completed, but he did have 72 yards and a TD.

nevadagriz
February 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I thought that Colt Anderson had a very good game. Liked the helmet tooxthumbsupx The Griz are fcs right SE???

TheValleyRaider
February 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Nick Hennessey of Colgate played in this one xthumbsupx

I was going to watch, but completely forgot xoopsx

Did he play much? How did he look?

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
I thought that Colt Anderson had a very good game. Liked the helmet tooxthumbsupx The Griz are fcs right SE???If you have to ask then obviously you have doubts. I'll set you straight.

The University of Montana is one of the great programs in FCS historically. Colt Anderson was one of only a few consensus all-americans this year. Reading recaps of the game however, you would wonder if anyone from the FCS played besides Guice. Maybe you can tell us all why you think Colt "had a very good game" and "helmet" since no one else has. xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/tvstn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/09-game-stats

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I was very confused when SE said Guice was SLC Off POTY...and then SCFBFan said Brown...

Seriously, guys? May have to ask you to leave the SLC to me. xlolx

Brown was PLAYER OF THE YEAR and Pendland of McNeese was OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

Sorry for the typo. It was late at night and I knew Brown was a POY but forgot to double check that it was overall and not offense.

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch, but any thoughts on how Jason Boltus did? His stats didn't look great with only 5 out of 12 completed, but he did have 72 yards and a TD.

Boltus was very good. I think he and Painter were the two best QBs there. Boltus is better than any FCS QB outside of Bomar IMO. He has better measurables and arm strength than Brown.

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
If you have to ask then obviously you have doubts. I'll set you straight.

The University of Montana is one of the great programs in FCS historically. Colt Anderson was one of only a few consensus all-americans this year. Reading recaps of the game however, you would wonder if anyone from the FCS played besides Guice. Maybe you can tell us all why you think Colt "had a very good game" and "helmet" since no one else has. xcoffeex

Colt played well. I thought he was very solid at the game and in practices.

smallcollegefbfan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Nick Hennessey of Colgate played in this one xthumbsupx

I was going to watch, but completely forgot xoopsx

Did he play much? How did he look?

Hennessey was okay but is looking like a free agent at this point, according to what I am hearing.

uofmman1122
February 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Woot! Colt Anderson the leading tackler for the Nation Team! xbowx

I read over on egriz that he also forced a fumble, but it's not listed in the stats...Can anyone confirm this?

uofmman1122
February 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
If you have to ask then obviously you have doubts. I'll set you straight.

The University of Montana is one of the great programs in FCS historically. Colt Anderson was one of only a few consensus all-americans this year. Reading recaps of the game however, you would wonder if anyone from the FCS played besides Guice. Maybe you can tell us all why you think Colt "had a very good game" and "helmet" since no one else has. xcoffeexHe led the Nation Team in tackles, that's for sure. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
He led the Nation Team in tackles, that's for sure. xthumbsupxNow that the stats are out I understand.

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Colt played well. I thought he was very solid at the game and in practices.Did you go to the game or practices? What is your reference?

Syntax Error
February 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Dudley Guice of Northwestern State was the leading receiver (5 catches for 70 yds and a TD). Lardarius Webb of Nicholls State was the leading returner (1 KO for 11 yds and 3 PR for 49 yds).

Colt Anderson of Montana was the second leading tackler (8 plus .5 sack) in the game and Jovan Belcher of Maine was third (7).

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Boltus was very good. I think he and Painter were the two best QBs there. Boltus is better than any FCS QB outside of Bomar IMO. He has better measurables and arm strength than Brown.

What did you think of his mechanics. I am wondering if he got with someone since his season ended to get rid of that huge windup he had in college.

That huge windup won't work in the NFL.

smallcollegefbfan
February 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Did you go to the game or practices? What is your reference?

Saw both and got feedback from scouts as well. Colt was not one of the top 10 players there but he was certainly solid and even had praise from some teammates as a good player who will hit you.

smallcollegefbfan
February 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
What did you think of his mechanics. I am wondering if he got with someone since his season ended to get rid of that huge windup he had in college.

That huge windup won't work in the NFL.

NFL guys aren't complaining about it and I didn't really think it was bad. He has a slight one but it is not something that will keep him out of the NFL. The biggest thing he needs to work on his putting touch on his passes.

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
NFL guys aren't complaining about it and I didn't really think it was bad. He has a slight one but it is not something that will keep him out of the NFL. The biggest thing he needs to work on his putting touch on his passes.

He must have worked on it then. In some of the highlights I saw from his junior season he shows a monster windup, which he also had out of high school. I was hoping someone would point it out to him early on and it appears they did (or he just improved it on his own).

Anyway, I hope the kid does well, he's a good kid.

Thanks for the updates.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
February 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
He must have worked on it then. In some of the highlights I saw from his junior season he shows a monster windup, which he also had out of high school. I was hoping someone would point it out to him early on and it appears they did (or he just improved it on his own).

Anyway, I hope the kid does well, he's a good kid.

Thanks for the updates.xthumbsupx

He looked solid and even had some saying he was the best or second best QB at the game. He is one of 4 who played in it who have combine invites.

The Tank
February 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
John Matthews of USD had one run of 22 yards, but no catches?? Any word on how he looked in practice? Not very encouraging that he didn't catch a ball.

smallcollegefbfan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
John Matthews of USD had one run of 22 yards, but no catches?? Any word on how he looked in practice? Not very encouraging that he didn't catch a ball.

I believe he was wide open on a deep ball but the QB overthrew him. Matthews had a solid week. I don't think he hurt himself at all.

Retro
February 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Last season the game had more players in camps than any other game and led all games in attendance. Over 43,000 attended this game, more than the SB and Shrine combined. Congrats to the game and those who particated. About 50-55 combine invites were in El Paso this past week. For those who missed it you missed a great game! xthumbsupx

FYI, anonymous NFL scouts are telling the media that this game is ran better than the SB. While the SB will always get their choice over the other, it will be interesting to see what players do next year with invites to Shrine as well after seeing the attendance and hearing how well it was ran.

http://texasvsthenation.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/013109aaa.html

What exactly is your benefit in this constant hyping a 2nd tier college all-star game while at the same time downplaying a well-established 60 year old top talent game of the same purpose? It seems you have an agenda, for some unknown reason? The talent in this game was nowhere near that of the senior bowl. If you think that, then you are ignorant of the facts!

Just because a player signs an NFL contract, isn't the same as a player actually on the opening day roster.. Hell, Hundreds of players sign free agent contracts, only to be gone before they even get to training camp, so your statements are misleading and to say this bowl had more players in camps than the senior bowl is totally false... xrolleyesx

You can compare it to the shrine all day long because that bowl has been in chaos the last 10 years. Let this game thrive on it's own. It's not a battle of players among the all star games, because they don't play at the same time againest each other, so they can all have their success..

The senior bowl didn't have a sellout largely due to rain before the game, but that's going to happen anywhere.. Still, no real college prospect is going to turn down the senior bowl in favor of this bowl for obvious reasons, location, national coverage and to play amongest the best college seniors, regardless of where they might be drafted per some ANONYMOUS scout as you say!

Retro
February 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Saw both and got feedback from scouts as well. Colt was not one of the top 10 players there but he was certainly solid and even had praise from some teammates as a good player who will hit you.

So, You actually attended the game and practices??

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
What exactly is your benefit in this constant hyping a 2nd tier college all-star game while at the same time downplaying a well-established 60 year old top talent game of the same purpose? It seems you have an agenda, for some unknown reason? The talent in this game was nowhere near that of the senior bowl. If you think that, then you are ignorant of the facts!

Just because a player signs an NFL contract, isn't the same as a player actually on the opening day roster.. Hell, Hundreds of players sign free agent contracts, only to be gone before they even get to training camp, so your statements are misleading and to say this bowl had more players in camps than the senior bowl is totally false... xrolleyesx

You can compare it to the shrine all day long because that bowl has been in chaos the last 10 years. Let this game thrive on it's own. It's not a battle of players among the all star games, because they don't play at the same time againest each other, so they can all have their success..

The senior bowl didn't have a sellout largely due to rain before the game, but that's going to happen anywhere.. Still, no real college prospect is going to turn down the senior bowl in favor of this bowl for obvious reasons, location, national coverage and to play amongest the best college seniors, regardless of where they might be drafted per some ANONYMOUS scout as you say!

Man.....what's with the apparent hostility towards SmallcollegeFBFan?

Dude is just posting some info.
And what's the difference whether he likes this game over the SB?

You and SE always seem to question SmallcollegeFBFan's every move - I don't get it. Am I missing something here? The man (assuming he's a he) has a lot of good info on NFL prospects and the like.xpeacex

danefan
February 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM

You and SE always seem to question SmallcollegeFBFan's every move - I don't get it. Am I missing something here? The man (assuming he's a he) has a lot of good info on NFL prospects and the like.xpeacex

Retro
February 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Well, i don't appreciate some kid half my age telling me i'm wrong about the information surrounding a game he's never attended and i've been to some 20 times and constantly arguing with me about stuff he has no direct knowledge of.xreadx

smallcollegefbfan
February 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Yes I did. I actually talked to about 60 NFL personnel while there as well and I confirmed with some NFL people that the Senior Bowl has had financial help in the past. Maybe it is just not public knowledge? Not calling you stupid or a liar, just saying it is something you have maybe not heard and something they don't publicize.

smallcollegefbfan
February 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Not downplaying the SB at all. I am just saying that this game is going places for a game in it's third year and already getting better attendance than the SB and Shrine. Will it ever pass the SB? NO! Will it be a very good game that is going to prove to be a great way for players to get noticed? YES! Expect to see a Florida vs. the Nation game next year that will be ran very similar and should attract crowds in the 20-30k range after a couple years of existence as well.

I was just pointing out that the TVN game had a lot of players signed and it is apparently doing something right in selection to get players in camps like they are. They will never have the top 100 picks the SB has but they are doing a great job in selecting late round and PFA types who get in camps, whereas the Hula and others have had years where 20-30 don't even get in a camp.

smallcollegefbfan
February 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks but there is no need to defend me.

Retro does bring some good knowledge to the table and cares for FCS. I admire him for that and he should stick to his guns. There is nothing wrong with him doing that.

SE has been acting weird with a lot of people lately and I overlook it because I know he is going through tough times. Just pray for him that he overcomes it and realizes that most of us would help him out, if he would allow it.

One thing everyone has to remember is that we can ignore the posts of those we think aren't legit posters and don't have to read it. I would do that to Retro if I thought his posts were garbage.

If you think someone is always full of crap then why read it? I would ignore them and not worry about what they say. If someone argues with you it gives you some credibility.

I have no beef with Retro and I don't think he does with me? I think he is just trying to prove and point and he has a right to do that.

Retro
February 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Not downplaying the SB at all. I am just saying that this game is going places for a game in it's third year and already getting better attendance than the SB and Shrine. Will it ever pass the SB? NO! Will it be a very good game that is going to prove to be a great way for players to get noticed? YES! Expect to see a Florida vs. the Nation game next year that will be ran very similar and should attract crowds in the 20-30k range after a couple years of existence as well.

I was just pointing out that the TVN game had a lot of players signed and it is apparently doing something right in selection to get players in camps like they are. They will never have the top 100 picks the SB has but they are doing a great job in selecting late round and PFA types who get in camps, whereas the Hula and others have had years where 20-30 don't even get in a camp.

Fair Enough!xthumbsupx

The Tank
February 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I believe he was wide open on a deep ball but the QB overthrew him. Matthews had a solid week. I don't think he hurt himself at all.

I missed the game on TV, so I appreciate the info. Not surprised to hear he was wide open on a deep ball, he has legit speed. Hopefully he lands in a camp somewhere that he'll have a chance to make a practice squad.