PDA

View Full Version : Will the "Flacco Fluffers" please stand up!

WIU02
January 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, this is what most Chicago Bear fans called me (a Flacco fluffer) when I said I wanted him as our QB in last years draft. First the argument started as "he didn't play top college ball, therefore he isn't good". You know what, Dave "The Stache" Wanny was the worst NFL coach I've ever seen. Believe me, I had to deal with him as a Bears fan...he's horrible. Now he may have just been proven as the worst college coach I've ever seen for letting Joe cool pack his bags.

It's no secret UD is constantly searching out the scene at QB transfer U. You guys landed a good one with Flacco.

blukeys
January 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Actually, the same lame questions about Joe were prevalent in Baltimore 9 months ago. I had local Ravens' fans scratching their heads over the pick despite my assurances that Baltimore got a steal. Of course they had their message boards and rumor mills to make them geniuses whereas I only had my eyeballs for two seasons.

The excuses were:

1. Joe never played top competition. (Yeah the league that produced Hightower, Colston, and Westbrook is really weak)

2. Joe had no character and was a quitter for leaving Pitt and Wannstadt.

3. Joe was too big and was not mobile enough.

4. Joe would not be able to operate outside of the shotgun.

The lame brains piled on dumb statements one after another.

Some of these idiots made these points on this board.

I won't call anyone out but they did tend to come from a school in a West Coast City that as of today still has a team in the NFL playoffs.

It has been fun locally to tell the local Joe naysayers "I told you so". Being true Baltimore fans they gladly acknowledge they were wrong and just are happy to have a winner.

The Joe haters on this board seem to have disappeared, slinking back into the obscurity they so richly deserve.

bleedblue
January 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Actually, the same lame questions about Joe were prevalent in Baltimore 9 months ago. I had local Ravens' fans scratching their heads over the pick despite my assurances that Baltimore got a steal. Of course they had their message boards and rumor mills to make them geniuses whereas I only had my eyeballs for two seasons.

The excuses were:

1. Joe never played top competition. (Yeah the league that produced Hightower, Colston, and Westbrook is really weak)

2. Joe had no character and was a quitter for leaving Pitt and Wannstadt.

3. Joe was too big and was not mobile enough.

4. Joe would not be able to operate outside of the shotgun.

The lame brains piled on dumb statements one after another.

Some of these idiots made these points on this board.

I won't call anyone out but they did tend to come from a school in a West Coast City that as of today still has a team in the NFL playoffs.

It has been fun locally to tell the local Joe naysayers "I told you so". Being true Baltimore fans they gladly acknowledge they were wrong and just are happy to have a winner.

The Joe haters on this board seem to have disappeared, slinking back into the obscurity they so richly deserve.

Yeah I think I know the poster you are referring to. It makes me wonder if we will ever see Josh Johnson do any of the things Joe has done (not his team but Joe). All kidding aside I do hope JJ has the same success because of the light it would continue to shine on the FCS. FCS success equals better recruits for our schools. Congrats Joe and the Ravens.

blukeys
January 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah I think I know the poster you are referring to. It makes me wonder if we will ever see Josh Johnson do any of the things Joe has done (not his team but Joe). All kidding aside I do hope JJ has the same success because of the light it would continue to shine on the FCS. FCS success equals better recruits for our schools. Congrats Joe and the Ravens.

I too wish Johnson well, along with Warner, Jacobs, Westbrook, (I try to forget the school he played for xsmiley_wix ), Hightower and a host of others.

However, I will say that some of the dumbest, most lame criticisms of Joe I saw on this board. Whereas, I have never seen the same level of treatment leveled at any other FCS player trying to make it in the pros.

And for the record 99 per cent of the posters on this board have been nothing but positive about ALL of the FCS players on pro rosters

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Great to see you active again on the forum!!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

93henfan
January 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Gotta love the reference to Transfer U when Delaware's other pro QBs Gannon, Bruner, and Komlo were all high school commits to Delaware, and Flacco himself was even recruited by Delaware before accepting a Big East scholly and taking the long way to Delaware.

Thunderstruck84
January 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
It's still too early to tell whether or not Flacco is deserving of much of the accolades he's getting. The fact that he's been able to start every game in his rookie year is a huge accomplishment and a testament to his quality as a player but the team has mostly ridden their defense and running game to this point. Flacco has made plays along the way but he has yet to step up and carry the team when they've needed a lift.

I'm not saying he should've, this is most likely by design that he hasn't had to. We've seen young QBs have similar years when they've been on teams with powerhouse defenses and solid running games. What remains to be seen is if he'll go the route of Ben Roethlisberger or Rex Grossman.

Syntax Error
January 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Gotta love the reference to Transfer U ... Flacco himself was even recruited by Delaware before accepting a Big East scholly and taking the long way to Delaware.Are you trying to say Flacco was not a true transfer? xeyebrowx

JMU DJ
January 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
It's still too early to tell whether or not Flacco is deserving of much of the accolades he's getting.

. What remains to be seen is if he'll go the route of Ben Roethlisberger or Rex Grossman.

And Boom goes the dynamite... I hope he doesn't go that route, but lets not blow more smoke up his.... than is necessary

(I like Flacco, I hope he has a great career and shines great light on the FCS. for those who think I'm Flacco bashing)

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Go Joe Go! Keep makin' us all proud!

WIU02
January 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Gotta love the reference to Transfer U when Delaware's other pro QBs Gannon, Bruner, and Komlo were all high school commits to Delaware, and Flacco himself was even recruited by Delaware before accepting a Big East scholly and taking the long way to Delaware.

Come on, man. Let's not kid ourselves here. I didn't start this thread to argue over the last statement I made. Props to all of the QB's you developed out of high school...under a different regime. At some point people turn the page and new tendencies/realities are developed.

I don't think Cubs fans are currently basking in their 1908 glory.

Blue Hen 53
January 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Delaware QB U!

WIU02
January 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Delaware QB U!

Exactly! Couldn't put it better myself.

appfan2008
January 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have to come out and admit it... i have been rooting for flacco all year and especially in the playoffs... i love seeing fcs players do well

bleedblue
January 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
And Boom goes the dynamite... I hope he doesn't go that route, but lets not blow more smoke up his.... than is necessary

(I like Flacco, I hope he has a great career and shines great light on the FCS. for those who think I'm Flacco bashing)

No one is blowing smoke anywhere. Who do you think is blowing smoke on this board? Anyway, if you knew Joe it would not matter how much smoke is being blown becuase he is so grounded.

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
While I don't think of myself as a "Flacco Fluffer" at all, I did not expect him (or any FCSer) to be NFL rookie of the year material either.

Thunderstruck84
January 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
No one is blowing smoke anywhere. Who do you think is blowing smoke on this board? Anyway, if you knew Joe it would not matter how much smoke is being blown becuase he is so grounded.
I believe he's referring to the fact that there are currently 5 active Flacco threads on this board alone, it's great his team doing as well as it is with him at the helm. However, I'm of the opinion that on most teams the QB gets too much of the blame when his team loses and too much credit when his team wins (unless that QB is Nick Mertens or Tarvaris Jackson xsmhx). In this case he's getting too much credit but he'll see the opposite if the team starts struggling.

neersnbeers
January 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Go Joe Joe!!

JMU Newbill
January 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM
So who do you think will have the bigger AFC/NFC Championship game?

Flacco has to face on heck of a defense, on the road, that held him to a season low 22.5 passer rating at one point. But Flacco has also played very efficiently on the road, escpecially as of late.

Hightower has been splitting carries as of late with James, but I still think the Cardinals are high on him and he may get an edge in the carries.

I think Flacco is more important to his team's success.... but I think Hightower has more of a chance to have a big game.

Skjellyfetti
January 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
A whole lot of college football teams have proven there’s no great shame in losing to Appalachian State. It’s just that quarterbacks who end their careers with an L against the Mountaineers don’t generally find themselves in the AFC title game the very next year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9066746/These-are-the-four-QBs-still-playing?-Seriously?-?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

xthumbsupx

bleedblue
January 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Neither, I think, will have a good day although if I had to bet on it I would bet Tim has a better day. It could be ugly for Joe.

blukeys
January 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
While I don't think of myself as a "Flacco Fluffer" at all, I did not expect him (or any FCSer) to be NFL rookie of the year material either.

I always had confidence that Joe would make it at the Pro level. From the first time I saw him at a UD Scrimmage I knew he had a Pro level arm. I witnessed his poise for 2 years.

I had to laugh at the critics who said he was to immobile. Ask UNI about Joe's mobility.

I had originally hoped that the Ravens would let him learn the position from the bench and then I expected Joe to tear the league up next year.

I was concerned when he got the starting job. However, John Harbaugh admits that the coaching staff made a mistake in limiting Joe's preseason snaps with the starting unit.

It seems Harbaugh like myself underestimated Joe's ability to learn and adapt.

There are 4 great QB's in the playoffs this weekend. Before it is all over in Joe's career, It is my belief he will eclipse the other three.
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Chi Panther
January 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I always had confidence that Joe would make it at the Pro level. From the first time I saw him at a UD Scrimmage I knew he had a Pro level arm. I witnessed his poise for 2 years.

I had to laugh at the critics who said he was to immobile. Ask UNI about Joe's mobility.

I had originally hoped that the Ravens would let him learn the position from the bench and then I expected Joe to tear the league up next year.

I was concerned when he got the starting job. However, John Harbaugh admits that the coaching staff made a mistake in limiting Joe's preseason snaps with the starting unit.

There are 4 great QB's in the playoffs this weekend. Before it is all over in Joe's career, It is my belief he will eclipse the other three.
xnodx xnodx xnodx

Joe took some good hits from UNI DE's and he just wouldn't go down. Just a big strong kid.

Thunderstruck84
January 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx
I hope you're right but that's putting a lot of expectations on a guy in his rookie season to say he's going to pass a 2-time MVP, 2 Super Bowl winners, and two guys who are about to eclipse 30,000 yards and 200 TD passes for their careers. He's a rookie and he's got a lot left to prove, let's not put him in the HOF yet.

Tod
January 16th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I hope you're right but that's putting a lot of expectations on a guy in his rookie season to say he's going to pass a 2-time MVP, 2 Super Bowl winners, and two guys who are about to eclipse 30,000 yards and 200 TD passes for their careers. He's a rookie and he's got a lot left to prove, let's not put him in the HOF yet.

Exactly! But go Joe and go Ravens!!

I hope he has a long and successful career, but right now, I just want him to help beat the Steelers.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SteelCurtain
January 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Joe has to show he can bring his team from behind in the 4th quarter to show he is a top notch QB..until then he is a caretaker at best.

Good luck to Joe in the future...his only problem is he has to deal with Big Ben twice a year and he is light years away from being that good..

93henfan
January 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
his only problem is he has to deal with Big Ben twice a year and he is light years away from being that good..

Comparing rookie seasons:

......................Comp Att ..Pct ...Yds TD Int
Roethlisberger 196 295 66.4 2621 17 11
Flacco...............257 428 60.0 2971 14 12

And this season (Flacco's numbers obviously the same as above):

Roethlisberger 281 469 59.9 3301 17 15

I'm not sure they're really light years apart. xconfusedx It's not like Flacco had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Antwaan Randle-El to throw to his rookie season and Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and Duce Staley to hand off to and Joe still took his team to the AFC Championship Game like Big Ben did as a rookie (both losing). You saw where the Baltimore offense was last year and where Joe has brought it without near the talent Roethlisberger was surrounded with as a rookie.

BEAR
January 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Here's a question. Why does his senior bowl card say "California"? Is he from there? Oh and it's for sale on an auction site for you Flacco fans. (No i'm not selling it) xlolx

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/2b/a8/3137_1.JPG

89Hen
January 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Here's a question. Why does his senior bowl card say "California"? Is he from there?
No. From NJ, played at Pitt and UD. Mistake? xeyebrowx

93henfan
January 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
No. From NJ, played at Pitt and UD. Mistake? xeyebrowx

I'm guessing the typist saw CAA somewhere on his bio sheet and it registered as CA in their brain.

SteelCurtain
January 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Comparing rookie seasons:

Roethlisberger 196 295 66.4 2621 17 11

And this season (Flacco's numbers obviously the same as above):

Roethlisberger 281 469 59.9 3301 17 15

I'm not sure they're really light years apart. xconfusedx It's not like Flacco had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Antwaan Randle-El to throw to his rookie season and Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and Duce Staley to hand off to and Joe still took his team to the AFC Championship Game like Big Ben did as a rookie (both losing). You saw where the Baltimore offense was last year and where Joe has brought it without near the talent Roethlisberger was surrounded with as a rookie.

Let me try to make you less confused.. Ben has a SB ring and believe it or not he did more in the playoffs that year than hand the ball off. Go check out his Playoff stats that year. A qb rating of 101 and doing it on the road in three playoff games.

This year will win his second superbowl behind one of the absolute worst o=lines I have ever seen. Also the Steelers were 22nd in the league in rushing this year so the running game has been a non factor. He played the first half of the season with a seperated shoulder which really hurt his stats(and a bad o=line)

Has 18 4th quarter comebacks in his career and also has the most wins all time of any QB ever for the first five years of his career.

Threw for 32tds and 11ints last year.

Like I stated earlier, Flacco is no Ben and I doubt he ever will be. I have seen NOTHING in his play to show otherwise. Could that change?? Absolutely, but comparing the two right now it's not even close..Hope that helped your confusion..

93henfan
January 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Let me try to make you less confused.. Ben has a SB ring and believe it or not he did more in the playoffs that year than hand the ball off. Go check out his Playoff stats that year. A qb rating of 101 and doing it on the road in three playoff games.

This year will win his second superbowl behind one of the absolute worst o=lines I have ever seen. Also the Steelers were 22nd in the league in rushing this year so the running game has been a non factor. He played the first half of the season with a seperated shoulder which really hurt his stats(and a bad o=line)

Has 18 4th quarter comebacks in his career and also has the most wins all time of any QB ever for the first five years of his career.

Threw for 32tds and 11ints last year.

Like I stated earlier, Flacco is no Ben and I doubt he ever will be. I have seen NOTHING in his play to show otherwise. Could that change?? Absolutely, but comparing the two right now it's not even close..Hope that helped your confusion..

No confusion on my part whatsoever. One guy has one year in the league and the other has five. Both had remarkably similar rookie seasons. Flacco may very well end up with a better career than Roethlisberger or vice versa. Neither of us will know until both have retired. Check back in about fifteen years or so.

I'm guessing most folks would have said Joe Theisman was better than John Elway in 1983 or that Phil Simms was better than Troy Aikman in 1989 based on your Superbowl ring logic. I guess Roethlisberger is about as good as Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and only about 33% as good as Tom Brady in your book then, right?

seantaylor
January 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM
No confusion on my part whatsoever. One guy has one year in the league and the other has five. Both had remarkably similar rookie seasons. Flacco may very well end up with a better career than Roethlisberger or vice versa. Neither of us will know until both have retired. Check back in about fifteen years or so.

I'm guessing most folks would have said Joe Theisman was better than John Elway in 1983 or that Phil Simms was better than Troy Aikman in 1989 based on your Superbowl ring logic. I guess Roethlisberger is about as good as Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and only about 33% as good as Tom Brady in your book then, right?

Flacco is going to be a good QB, but never will be in Big Ben's league. I think Ben is a future HOF'er, and Joe could have a career similar to Phil Simms. Ben is a top 4 QB in the game right now.

93henfan
January 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Flacco is going to be a good QB, but never will be in Big Ben's league. I think Ben is a future HOF'er, and Joe could have a career similar to Phil Simms. Ben is a top 4 QB in the game right now.

Sorry, but I just can't take a guy that was third on the depth chart two weeks before the season started and was suddenly cast into a starter role, that won 13 games as a rookie, that is the only rookie quarterback in NFL history to win two playoff games, that was finally bested by the #1 passing (and overall) defense in the NFL this season, on the road in the AFCCG, and say the guy won't be in the HOF. What is your basis for such a ludicrous statement?

seantaylor
January 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but I just can't take a guy that was third on the depth chart two weeks before the season started and was suddenly cast into a starter role, that won 13 games as a rookie, that is the only rookie quarterback in NFL history to win two playoff games, that was finally bested by the #1 passing (and overall) defense in the NFL this season, on the road in the AFCCG, and say the guy won't be in the HOF. What is your basis for such a ludicrous statement?

It's ludicrous to say that a guy won't be in the HOF? Less than 1% make it in.

SteelCurtain
January 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Because the guy actually has to show he can do more than hand off...Baltimore ran the ball more than any team in the league. winning two play-off games by completing less than 50% of your passes means you had little to do with that win.

If and that's a big IF he proves he can do more than hand-off and win a game on his own then we can have this conversation. Until then Flacco couldn't hold Big Ben's jockstrap..

93henfan
January 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Until then Flacco couldn't hold Big Ben's jockstrap..

I don't think he wants your job.

SteelCurtain
January 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I don't think he wants your job.

good one..I bet you think your real clever.

I am not the one who is has a fantasy that thinks Flacco is something special. Or as good as Ben...

jcf5445
January 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up. Can somebody tell me if Flacco led a single 4th quarter come-from-behind drive this year (excluding the long TD run in the Dallas game)? I know Ben had to bring the Steelers back in the final quarter to win at least 3 times during his rookie season.

The clutch factor differentiates the two QBs in my opinion. Like Ben, Flacco wasn't asked to do much during the course of a game. If the team led throughout the game, then the QB simply managed the game and got credit for the victory. However, when the games were on the line, Ben delivered. The only time I remember Flacco delivering in a clutch situation was in the 1st game against the Steelers - a game the Ravens still managed to lose despite getting the ball first in OT.

I hope both QBs continue to play well and this develops into a career long rivalry. However, I don't think Flacco's rookie season is very comparable to Ben's. Sure they got to the same round of the playoffs, but Ben went 13-1, Flacco went 13-6 and failed to impress when the Ravens trailed late.

93henfan
January 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM
good one..I bet you think your real clever.

I am not the one who is has a fantasy that thinks Flacco is something special. Or as good as Ben...

Well, there's no debate that Flacco is special. You don't get drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and then win more playoff games than any rookie quarterback in NFL history without being special. The "as good as Ben" part remains to be seen, as I've maintained in every post where the subject has come up.

Clever? Yes, I am very clever. There's no thinking about it. In fact, I'm so clever I pointed out your typo almost immediately. Or is it "you're" typo?

SteelCurtain
January 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well, there's no debate that Flacco is special. You don't get drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and then win more playoff games than any rookie quarterback in NFL history without being special. The "as good as Ben" part remains to be seen, as I've maintained in every post where the subject has come up.

Clever? Yes, I am very clever. There's no thinking about it. In fact, I'm so clever I pointed out your typo almost immediately. Or is it "you're" typo?

Oops..sorry you are so much smarter than me.

But two things you did fail to mention. In those two wins did Joe have anything to do with them?? Or was it all defense??

Trust me there have been lots of players drafted in the first round that aren't "special" Now Dan Marino as a rookie was "special" Not Joe Flacco.

Jaxhen
January 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Saying Flacco will never be in the HOF is as ludicrous as saying that he will be in the HOF at this stage in his career. I do know this after watching him play at Delaware and watching every game he played this year at Baltimore that he has all the physical tools and the right temperament to be a great one. Whether he achieves greatness, only time will tell. It is very obvious by some of the comments posted on here that some of you have really not seen him play much. Flacco had an exceptional rookie year considering what he had to work with and the fact he went up against a lot of top 10 NFL defenses. He really only had one solid receiver to work with, Derrick Mason, and really didn't have a legitimate deep threat. I can't tell you how many times he had to throw the ball away because his receivers were not open (absolutely no separation). Oftentimes they only sent two receivers out because the TE and RB were needed to help protect him. His stats this year were comparable to Ben R. even though he is a rookie. Comparing his rookie year to Ben R.'s is not really fair because he had no where near the talent on offense that Ben had to work with. Regarding 4th quarter comebacks, most of the games Baltimore won, they were well ahead in the 4th quarter and Flacco was not needed to win it in the 4th quarter. Three of Baltimore's 5 losses were games that they lost in the final minutes of the game and Flacco had no time left to try and win it and the other two losses were blow it losses. I am constantly amazed at the negative posts about Flacco. I don't think I've ever seen another FCS player on here attacked like Flacco is, which is a shame, because not only is he talented, but he is also a very humble, down to earth, and decent guy. I'm proud he went to UD and represents the school well.

Thunderstruck84
January 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Saying Flacco will never be in the HOF is as ludicrous as saying that he will be in the HOF at this stage in his career. I do know this after watching him play at Delaware and watching every game he played this year at Baltimore that he has all the physical tools and the right temperament to be a great one. Whether he achieves greatness, only time will tell. It is very obvious by some of the comments posted on here that some of you have really not seen him play much. Flacco had an exceptional rookie year considering what he had to work with and the fact he went up against a lot of top 10 NFL defenses. He really only had one solid receiver to work with, Derrick Mason, and really didn't have a legitimate deep threat. I can't tell you how many times he had to throw the ball away because his receivers were not open (absolutely no separation). Oftentimes they only sent two receivers out because the TE and RB were needed to help protect him. His stats this year were comparable to Ben R. even though he is a rookie. Comparing his rookie year to Ben R.'s is not really fair because he had no where near the talent on offense that Ben had to work with. Regarding 4th quarter comebacks, most of the games Baltimore won, they were well ahead in the 4th quarter and Flacco was not needed to win it in the 4th quarter. Three of Baltimore's 5 losses were games that they lost in the final minutes of the game and Flacco had no time left to try and win it and the other two losses were blow it losses. I am constantly amazed at the negative posts about Flacco. I don't think I've ever seen another FCS player on here attacked like Flacco is, which is a shame, because not only is he talented, but he is also a very humble, down to earth, and decent guy. I'm proud he went to UD and represents the school well.
You can't make it seem like everyone on this board is Flacco bashing when there were 5 active threads at once telling everybody how great he was before the AFC title game.

Joe had an exceptional season for a rookie QB and is well on his way to a good career. I just think the Flacco fans should curb their enthusiasm a bit and let's see him grow into a more expanded role on the field next year and hopefully see him in Pro Bowls down the road. If he's fortunate enough to do that you can start talking about Canton. To discuss either side of that argument at this point in his career is pointless.

Jaxhen
January 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You can't make it seem like everyone on this board is Flacco bashing when there were 5 active threads at once telling everybody how great he was before the AFC title game.

Joe had an exceptional season for a rookie QB and is well on his way to a good career. I just think the Flacco fans should curb their enthusiasm a bit and let's see him grow into a more expanded role on the field next year and hopefully see him in Pro Bowls down the road. If he's fortunate enough to do that you can start talking about Canton. To discuss either side of that argument at this point in his career is pointless.

I never mentioned that he would be in the HOF and I think my statement "Whether he achieves greatness, only time will tell." pretty much is in agreement with your point, isn't it? I don't see anything wrong in the slightest about being excited, enthusiastic, or proud of a fellow alum doing well. Fans post on here all the time about players from their school doing well and I am fully supportive and enjoy reading about the success of any FCS player. Not one person on here said he was the best of all time. Frankly, I don't get it, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Thunderstruck84
January 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I never mentioned that he would be in the HOF and I think my statement "Whether he achieves greatness, only time will tell." pretty much is in agreement with your point, isn't it? I don't see anything wrong in the slightest about being excited, enthusiastic, or proud of a fellow alum doing well. Fans post on here all the time about players from their school doing well and I am fully supportive and enjoy reading about the success of any FCS player. Not one person on here said he was the best of all time. Frankly, I don't get it, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Agreed, he's done the University of Delaware and FCS football proud. I'll be rooting for him.

Ud1Hens
January 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think this Big Ben/Flacco argument is going anywhere...You have UD fans arguing with a guy with the name "Steel Curtain". There are most certainly going to be some biased remarks. Flacco had possibly the greatest 1 year stretch of any player going from the FCS to the NFL. 13 months before playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl he was practicing to play App St. Then sky-rocketing up the draft board, only to become the starter and win 13 games on a team that was projected to finish with no more than 6 wins.

SteelCurtain
January 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think this Big Ben/Flacco argument is going anywhere...You have UD fans arguing with a guy with the name "Steel Curtain". There are most certainly going to be some biased remarks. Flacco had possibly the greatest 1 year stretch of any player going from the FCS to the NFL. 13 months before playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl he was practicing to play App St. Then sky-rocketing up the draft board, only to become the starter and win 13 games on a team that was projected to finish with no more than 6 wins.

And I say great year for Joe Flacco!!!!!! Nobody could have predicted the success he has had.

The question as I have said all along is will he be able to turn this season into a top five QB in the league or just a simple caretaker.

That question has not been answered and won't be. He has to prove to me he can do more than hand off and bring his team from behind in a game.

but I wanted to make sure to post I applaud him and wish him the best. Let's just not get ahead of ourselves..