PDA

View Full Version : Grass v Turf

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Don't listen to the players as to what they prefer... xcoffeex

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3816640

"The good thing is that I didn't tweak anything against the Vikings," Westbrook said. "I took a pounding on the turf but I didn't reinjure anything so I'm not starting from in a hole this week."

813Jag
January 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
as we know by now it's field turf all the way. xlolx

In the south grass is great, providing there's good drainage.

andy7171
January 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
This thread should be renamed MPLS I'm calling you out!

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
This thread should be renamed MPLS I'm calling you out!
xlolx xnodx

Blue Hen 53
January 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Westbrook would be in traction if he played on the "turf"(Indoor/outdoor carpet over cement) at The Vet!

LacesOut
January 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Just thought I'd add a picture or two of my favorite football player. Hopefully he is fully healthy this week and runs all over the Giants!!!

http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Brian_Westbrook.jpg

http://curveballsforjesus.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/brian-westbrook.jpg

jstate83
January 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
There ought to be a law that bar's all school's in warm weather areas from having turf.xlolx
Unless you get temp's below 40 degree's for extended period's of time, get some dang grass.

There is nothing I hate worse than to see player's comming off the field of play with clean uni's.xlolx

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Former Bison head coach once said football is meant to be played outside........on artifical turf. xlolx

MoreheadEagle
January 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Grass may be better but turf is more cost-effective when many FCS schools have to use their football facilities for practices and other sports too.

Big Al
January 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Unless you get temp's below 40 degree's for extended period's of time, get some dang grass.

If the Packers can maintain grass at Lambeau, anyone can. ;)

CatMom07
January 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Westbrook would be in traction if he played on the "turf"(Indoor/outdoor carpet over cement) at The Vet!

Financial Field opened in 2003 so he played at the Vet for at least 1 season. (this is his 7th year)

813Jag
January 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
This really needs to be in FCS discussion so MPLSBison's head can explode. xlolx

Besides there's nothing better than the smell of grass.

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Grass may be better but turf is more cost-effective when many FCS schools have to use their football facilities for practices and other sports too.
That's for another discussion. xpeacex

jstate83
January 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM

;)

Packer's got endless money.xlolx
They can afford to replace grass 2 times a year if necessary.

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
This really needs to be in FCS discussion so MPLSBison's head can explode. xlolx
I actually posted this thread there for that exact reason, but the mods moved it within 2 minutes.... Gone in 60 Seconds. :p

Marcus Garvey
January 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Whether or not a field should be artificial turf or grass can only be determined on a case by case basis. For a field that only hosts a handful of football games each season, grass can suffice, even in colder climates. Examples include Penn St., Iowa, Lambeau Field, etc..
If a field sees many football teams playing on it, and the weather is not conducive to growing grass in the fall, then artificial turf is probably a better way to go... I'm talking about you Pittsburgh!
Also, for fields that get used for multiple sports throughout the school year, artifical turf is probably a better idea, regardless of climate. More and more Division 2 and 3 schools are switching to artificial surfaces to allow more teams to use the same field: Football, soccer, lacrosse and field hocky all come to mind.
Also, high schools are switching to it to.

I prefer grass. If it makes sense, I say go with it. I'm glad to see Lehigh is sticking with grass.

813Jag
January 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I actually posted this thread there for that exact reason, but the mods moved it within 2 minutes.... Gone in 60 Seconds. :p
They move quickly. xlolx

ngineer
January 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Whether or not a field should be artificial turf or grass can only be determined on a case by case basis. For a field that only hosts a handful of football games each season, grass can suffice, even in colder climates. Examples include Penn St., Iowa, Lambeau Field, etc..
If a field sees many football teams playing on it, and the weather is not conducive to growing grass in the fall, then artificial turf is probably a better way to go... I'm talking about you Pittsburgh!
Also, for fields that get used for multiple sports throughout the school year, artifical turf is probably a better idea, regardless of climate. More and more Division 2 and 3 schools are switching to artificial surfaces to allow more teams to use the same field: Football, soccer, lacrosse and field hocky all come to mind.

I prefer grass. If it makes sense, I say go with it. I'm glad to see Lehigh is sticking with grass.

Yes, and the new field performed with flying colors this year, even in a good rain game with Drake to open it up. Hardly any divots, and excellent drainage. A football game without grass stains and dirt or mud on the uniform seems not to have happened...

Marcus Garvey
January 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
[/B]

Yes, and the new field performed with flying colors this year, even in a good rain game with Drake to open it up. Hardly any divots, and excellent drainage. A football game without grass stains and dirt or mud on the uniform seems not to have happened...

Besides commencement, is Goodman Stadium used for anything other than football? Doesn't Lafayette use Fisher Field for practice now? Thus requiring an artificial surface?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I love the grass surface, but Montana has a much better field now than when it was natural. That ground was harder than concrete when the temps were below zero.

andy7171
January 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
If I fell, I take a big divot. That said I was all for grass, God knows Minnegan Stadium back in '93 was ideal, but last year walking on the new field turf, I don't know...

I understand the reasons Towson made the switch, Lacrosse, but comparing the old grass to todays FieldTurf, I'm definately 50-50 as far as amulti-use field. xpeacex

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Lambeau Field has an underground heating system, so it's not really the frozen tundra anymore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/Lambeau_Field_panorama.jpg/1500px-Lambeau_Field_panorama.jpg

brownbear
January 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Brown's stadium is the same way. It is only used 5 days a year, so grass works fine (especially given that it doesn't snow during our football season). Meanwhile, all of our practice fields are field turf, and one field is the good old astroturf itself. With these fields being used over 12 hours a day year round, artificial turf is easily justified.

I hate that many high schools here in Georgia now have artificial turf. There is no reason to do this.

ngineer
January 8th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Besides commencement, is Goodman Stadium used for anything other than football? Doesn't Lafayette use Fisher Field for practice now? Thus requiring an artificial surface?

Yes, Lafayette uses Fisher for practice (as well as the 'short' field behind the visitors stands. Not sure if other sports will use it, i.e. lacrosse, soccer, but it wasn't striped for other sports in November.

Lehigh's Goodman has been used for soccer on occasion. The AAU Women's Soccer championships were held there a number of years ago as well as some pre-Olympic soccer games back in the '90's. Otherwise, it is only used for football and commencement.

Field turf does make sense for those schools that don't have the room to have enough playing/practice fields. Bucknell's Matthewson Stadium is used for lacrosse, soccer and field hockey..and track, so they do make good use of limited facilities.

Marcus Garvey
January 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Brown's stadium is the same way. It is only used 5 days a year, so grass works fine (especially given that it doesn't snow during our football season). Meanwhile, all of our practice fields are field turf, and one field is the good old astroturf itself. With these fields being used over 12 hours a day year round, artificial turf is easily justified.

I hate that many high schools here in Georgia now have artificial turf. There is no reason to do this.

Sometimes, even in warm weather areas, it's more cost-effective to lay down artificial turf.

For example, Cienega High School in Vail, AZ (Just SE of Tucson) laid down artificial turf a couple of years ago. That field gets used for JV and Varisity football in the fall, then boys and girls soccer in the winter. Even in Southern Arizona, it's difficult and expensive to maintaing a grass field through the winter that takes that kind of beating. While I would have preferred grass, I lived in the Vail School District, so saving my tax money was more important to me. xthumbsupx