PDA

View Full Version : Wacko for Flacco!

andy7171
January 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sure Joe got snubbed in the NFL ROY ballotting.
But the Blue Hen Nation can save his rep this way!

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

Vote early, vote often!

93henfan
January 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Done!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Done

GannonFan
January 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Voted several times. xthumbsupx

andy7171
January 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Done

So what would you son say if I lumped you into the Blue Hen nation? :p

smallcollegefbfan
January 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Sure Joe got snubbed in the NFL ROY ballotting.
But the Blue Hen Nation can save his rep this way!

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

Vote early, vote often!

Snubbed? The best rookie in the NFL won! xthumbsupx No offense to Flacco and even as a FCS fan I would have liked to see him win but Ryan did deserve the award.

andy7171
January 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Snubbed? The best rookie in the NFL won! xthumbsupx No offense to Flacco and even as a FCS fan I would have liked to see him win but Ryan did deserve the award.

He didn't even get a vote.

bluehenbillk
January 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Just put a couple votes in for Joe.

ASUG8
January 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Great year for Joe - seems he's having an easier time picking apart NFL secondaries than the ASU '07 secondary.....xsmiley_wix

I kid....he had a heck of a season, but I'd have to put Ryan ahead of him. I've pulled for Joe and Tim Hightower this season, and it's great seeing FCS'ers doing well. Congrats xthumbsupx

andy7171
January 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Great year for Joe - seems he's having an easier time picking apart NFL secondaries than the ASU '07 secondary.....xsmiley_wix

I kid....he had a heck of a season, but I'd have to put Ryan ahead of him. I've pulled for Joe and Tim Hightower this season, and it's great seeing FCS'ers doing well. Congrats xthumbsupx

Calling them F***ingC0ckSvckers is kinda back handed isn't it?

ASUG8
January 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Que? xconfusedx

AshevilleApp2
January 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Only appropriate for a Blue Hen. xsmiley_wix

Blue Hen 53
January 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hope Matty and his ROY trophy enjoys watching Joe Cool dismantle the Titans this weekend!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
So what would you son say if I lumped you into the Blue Hen nation? :p

We've got 2 reasons to like Flacco up in Durham and 0 reasons not too.xnodx

See that 2 and 0xthumbsupx

Get itxsmiley_wix :p

UMass922
January 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
He didn't even get a vote.

Yeah, but it's a one-man, winner-take-all ballot. Everyone who decided to vote for a QB understandably voted for Ryan, who put up better numbers for a team with fewer pieces in place and lower expectations. If it were, say, a three-man ballot (which I think it should be), Flacco would have gotten a lot of second- or third-place votes--but given the system in place, it's not surprising that he didn't get a vote. In a lot of other years, Flacco would have won the award, but he just happened to be unlucky that someone at the same position had an even better year. He didn't get snubbed; he was simply the victim of a one-man, winner-take-all ballot.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but it's a one-man, winner-take-all ballot. Everyone who decided to vote for a QB understandably voted for Ryan, who put up better numbers for a team with fewer pieces in place and lower expectations. If it were, say, a three-man ballot (which I think it should be), Flacco would have gotten a lot of second- or third-place votes--but given the system in place, it's not surprising that he didn't get a vote. In a lot of other years, Flacco would have won the award, but he just happened to be unlucky that someone at the same position had an even better year. He didn't get snubbed; he was simply the victim of a one-man, winner-take-all ballot.

Ryan's numbers weren't really that much better than Flacco's, they're actually pretty similar. And people underestimate what the Falcons actually have. Seems to be they were a pretty good team even if they didn't have Ryan, but the mess Petrino made of things last year kind of obscured that Ryan was coming into a pretty decent team.

UMass922
January 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ryan's numbers weren't really that much better than Flacco's, they're actually pretty similar. And people underestimate what the Falcons actually have. Seems to be they were a pretty good team even if they didn't have Ryan, but the mess Petrino made of things last year kind of obscured that Ryan was coming into a pretty decent team.

I agree on all points, but I'm just not sure what the argument is in Flacco's favor that should have compelled a certain number of voters to vote for him over Ryan. Ryan was slightly better across the board statistically, and that was enough for him to get the "QB vote" over Flacco. I'm rooting hard for Joe, and I'm excited that he's had such a successful rookie year, but I just don't perceive a "snub" in the ROY vote.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I agree on all points, but I'm just not sure what the argument is in Flacco's favor that should have compelled a certain number of voters to vote for him over Ryan. Ryan was slightly better across the board statistically, and that was enough for him to get the "QB vote" over Flacco. I'm rooting hard for Joe, and I'm excited that he's had such a successful rookie year, but I just don't perceive a "snub" in the ROY vote.

I think the only snub that's out there is the prevailing feeling, which even you indicated in your initial post, that Ryan had a substantially better season statistically than Flacco (not true) and that Ryan had so much less to work with to succeed than Flacco (again, not true, but open to more opinion than the first argument). Also considering Flacco's slow start (certainly due, in part at least, to not having the starting job his until very close to the season) Flacco's 2nd half numbers will probably look extremely good versus Ryan's numbers. Again, part of the feeling of being snubbed is that it was Ryan's to lose from the start.

UMass922
January 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I think the only snub that's out there is the prevailing feeling, which even you indicated in your initial post, that Ryan had a substantially better season statistically than Flacco (not true) and that Ryan had so much less to work with to succeed than Flacco (again, not true, but open to more opinion than the first argument). Also considering Flacco's slow start (certainly due, in part at least, to not having the starting job his until very close to the season) Flacco's 2nd half numbers will probably look extremely good versus Ryan's numbers. Again, part of the feeling of being snubbed is that it was Ryan's to lose from the start.

Well, I never said "substantially better," just "better." You are of course correct that it was Ryan's to lose from the start, he being the one coming into the league with more hype and publicity.

But anyway, my main point was about the one-man-ballot, winner-take-all voting system. Flacco would have gotten a lot of second- and third-place votes if that kind of system was in place; he would have finished pretty high in the voting, and no one would be claiming that he was "snubbed," or that he was being slighted or disrespected.

Jaxhen
January 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I don't have a problem with Ryan winning ROY. He had a great rookie season as did Flacco. One thing that I wish the voters would have taken into consideration was that Flacco played against a lot more top 10 defenses than Ryan did. Flacco played against #1 Pittsburgh (twice), #3 Philadelphia, #4 Washington, #5 NYG, #7 Tennesee, and #8 Dallas. Ryan only played against #3 Philadelphia, #6 Minnesota, and #9 Tampa Bay (twice).

Here's some interesting statistics from a Ravens blogger:

"Flacco
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rate
16 16 257 428 60.0 2,971 6.9 14 12 80.3

Ryan
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Rate
16 16 265 434 61.1 3,440 7.9 16 11 87.7

Alanta's opponents average defense 22nd
Baltimore's opponents average defense 12th
Quite a difference there for the slightly better stats Ryan put up.

Add in SOS (strength of sched) after the regular season numbers
Baltimore Ravens 141-115 (.551)
Games played against teams with a reacord of .500 or better 12
Games played agaist teams in the playoffs 8

Atlanta Falcons 118-138 (.461)
Games played against teams with a reacord of .500 or better 6
Games played agaist teams in the playoffs 4

Again quite a difference there for the slightly better stats Ryan put up."

Rob Iola
January 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ryan won it basically when his 1st NFL pass went the distance for a TD...