PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of BcS Buster?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5245930

Maybe we will see the Utes playing FCS instead xlolx

CrackerRiley
January 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I was something about this a few months ago. The Utah win only helps their case against the BCS. Also, them playing FCS wouldn't make sense because they are looking to draw in more money by playing in the BCS title game. Not downgrade.

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Again, if you go by power rating systems there's no way they'd have been in the title game. This also gives me the opportunity to hit on something I found some more detail about:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28476908/

"A line that Utah coach Kyle Whittingham had said was the key to Alabama’s offense was suddenly a weak spot. "

What the refers to is that Alabama lost its NFL caliber stud at left tackle and moved one of their starting guards to that position. That guy was then hurt in the first quarter so that they had to move their right tackle over to left tackle and put a freshman in at right tackle. They played most of the game with two of their best three offensive linemen out entirely and only two guys, the center and one guard, playing in their accustomed positions.

That is no small matter, people. Utah was not playing the Alabama team that played through the rest of the season. They'd been able to keep their team together. They were not real deep but had been very fortunate in terms of attrition. They were in an "all of a sudden" situation where a unit that had been together all season was destroyed. And it was perhaps the strongest point of their team.

Sure, Utah accomplished a lot. But they were playing a crippled Alabama team. They weren't playing the Alabama team that played Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.

ngineer
January 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It's like that for everyone, every week. We all have teams with key injuries during the season and we have to dance with the ones 'that brung us'...That's what the measure of a TEAM is...not just how good your starters are, but how good your backups are, too.

That has always been one of the markers between Patriot League schools and top shelf CAA and SoCon teams. Many of our starters are as good or close to those of the scholarship schools. But the real separation comes in the depth the PL teams lack because we cannot recruit enough 'depth'. Many games lost by the PL to the CAA in the fourth quarter over the years (see Lehigh/Delaware; Lehigh/JMU; Lafayette/App. St; Lafayette/UMass, etc....)

seantaylor
January 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Again, if you go by power rating systems there's no way they'd have been in the title game. This also gives me the opportunity to hit on something I found some more detail about:

"A line that Utah coach Kyle Whittingham had said was the key to Alabama’s offense was suddenly a weak spot. "

What the refers to is that Alabama lost its NFL caliber stud at left tackle and moved one of their starting guards to that position. That guy was then hurt in the first quarter so that they had to move their right tackle over to left tackle and put a freshman in at right tackle. They played most of the game with two of their best three offensive linemen out entirely and only two guys, the center and one guard, playing in their accustomed positions.

That is no small matter, people. Utah was not playing the Alabama team that played through the rest of the season. They'd been able to keep their team together. They were not real deep but had been very fortunate in terms of attrition. They were in an "all of a sudden" situation where a unit that had been together all season was destroyed. And it was perhaps the strongest point of their team.

Sure, Utah accomplished a lot. But they were playing a crippled Alabama team. They weren't playing the Alabama team that played Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.

Get off Alabama's nuts. The Utes did anything they wanted to on offense. Last I checked the LT doesn't play defense. Utah was the better team.

Big Al
January 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM

So let me get this straight -- a team of players who, by your own words, wouldn't start in the SEC were only able to dominate Alabama because they lost one of their starters?

Weak.

Big Al
January 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Again, if you go by power rating systems there's no way they'd have been in the title game.

If you go by those rating systems, neither would the Crimson Tide. Utah had a stronger SOS going into the game and, ironically, losing to Utah helped Alabama's SOS.

UNCBears2010
January 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Alabama's offensive line didn't give up 31 points.xrulesx

813Jag
January 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Stats and power rankings don't win games, neither do 40 times. It does matter if Bama should beat Utah 10 times out of 10, what counts is that on 1-1-09, Utah was the better team. That's what PLAYING the game is all about.

813Jag
January 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM

"A line that Utah coach Kyle Whittingham had said was the key to Alabamas offense was suddenly a weak spot. "

Bama had warts all season, it caught up to them against Florida and Utah. You could argue the LSU should have beat them if Lee knew what color jersey to throw to.

Utah did a good job of neutralizing Bama's strength on defense. And that was their defensive tackles that clog up the middle of the line

appfan2008
January 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Stats and power rankings don't win games, neither do 40 times. It does matter if Bama should beat Utah 10 times out of 10, what counts is that on 1-1-09, Utah was the better team. That's what PLAYING the game is all about.

1-2-09 xrulesx :D

appfan2008
January 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
this guy might have a case... i would love to see him make it!

813Jag
January 7th, 2009, 07:50 AM
1-2-09 xrulesx :D
:o xlolx Forgot that game was on Friday.

appfan2008
January 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
:o xlolx Forgot that game was on Friday.

its all good just trying to have some fun on a slow wednesday morning! :p

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Given everything that happened before the bowl games started, there is no reason why Utah should have been in the BCS NC game as good as Florida and Oklahoma have played. Why not lobby for a playoff instead of crying about not getting into this particular BCSNCG. When it's an undefeated MWC team versus a one-loss Big XII or SEC team, the latter two will get the benefit of the doubt.

Big Al
January 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Why not lobby for a playoff instead of crying about not getting into this particular BCSNCG.

I don't know about anyone else, but that's exactly what I'd like.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but that's exactly what I'd like.

I look at it as this the way to do that. The only way we will ever kill the dreaded BcS snake, is something like this winning in court. People have been saying "Playoffs" for years and nothing gets done. If the people making the rules don't want you included, you won't be. It's called collusion and is the as good a definition of a monopoly as there is. I am suprised Websters doesn't use the BCS system as an example :D There is no reason they can't incorporate the bowel games into a playoffs, the bowels just won't be able to pick their team. :) I hope the AG does proceed with this even if he looses, it's as good of a way to waste my tax dollars as I have seen in a while. I am still waiting on my $250 toilet seat to arrive in the mail xwhistlex xsmiley_wix