PDA

View Full Version : FCS Players leaving early for NFL???

yosef1969
January 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Has this every happened? I would think it had to at some point but I've just never heard about it.

smallcollegefbfan
January 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Has this every happened? I would think it had to at some point but I've just never heard about it.

Yes. ASU had one in the 90s. Right now it looks like Chris Baker at Hampton is and the last one before him was a RB at NW State a few years back from what I can remember.

yosef1969
January 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Yes. ASU had one in the 90s. Right now it looks like Chris Baker at Hampton is and the last one before him was a RB at NW State a few years back from what I can remember.

Thought there were likely a couple anyway but there was one for ASU? Not disputing it but I can't believe that I'd have missed that.

smallcollegefbfan
January 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Thought there were likely a couple anyway but there was one for ASU? Not disputing it but I can't believe that I'd have missed that.

S Jamie Coleman declared due to grades back in the 90s. Had his grades been better and he could have returned then he probably would have been drafted. Even as an early entry he still played with the Vikings for a while and was a star in the AFL for a few years.

yosef1969
January 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
S Jamie Coleman declared due to grades back in the 90s. Had his grades been better and he could have returned then he probably would have been drafted. Even as an early entry he still played with the Vikings for a while and was a star in the AFL for a few years.

Did not know that. The ASU media guide lists him from '93-'95 in the all-time roster but they didn't designate him as Former Mountaineers in the NFL. Assuming that's probably since he didn't graduate???

smallcollegefbfan
January 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Did not know that. The ASU media guide lists him from '93-'95 in the all-time roster but they didn't designate him as Former Mountaineers in the NFL. Assuming that's probably since he didn't graduate???

He would have played the 96 year had he not had to declare. He is no longer in the NFL and did not last long enough to earn a pension from what I remember.

achrist70
January 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Are you scared of AE leaving?

AppAlum2003
January 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM

No, there's been talk about Brian Quick leaving early amongst ASU fans. He's got the size and skill (6' 4" 220lbs - and he's only a redshirt sophomore going into next season.) However, he's only played a total of 3 - 4 years of organized football and is nowhere near ready fundamentally. If he spends enough time on the practice field, he's going to be one of the top receivers in FCS.

ASUTed
January 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Quick has a ways to go as far as leaving early. I could see it if he fulfills his potential though.

Retro
January 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Tony Taylor was the NWST RB that left early. Not sure why he did, because he wasn't that highly rated.

Thumper250
January 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Maurice Price, Charleston Southern, left a year early.

smallcollegefbfan
January 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
No, there's been talk about Brian Quick leaving early amongst ASU fans. He's got the size and skill (6' 4" 220lbs - and he's only a redshirt sophomore going into next season.) However, he's only played a total of 3 - 4 years of organized football and is nowhere near ready fundamentally. If he spends enough time on the practice field, he's going to be one of the top receivers in FCS.

He has a long way to go before he even thinks about the NFL, let alone leaving early. Quick is still young and learning. He has to show he can put together a full season of production instead of just 2-3 games. Don't get me wrong, he has all of the tools to be a NFL WR. He just needs a lot of work before any fans should talk about that.

smallcollegefbfan
January 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Tony Taylor was the NWST RB that left early. Not sure why he did, because he wasn't that highly rated.

NW State RB Derrick Johnese left in 2005 due to grades.

AppAlum2003
January 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
He has a long way to go before he even thinks about the NFL, let alone leaving early. Quick is still young and learning. He has to show he can put together a full season of production instead of just 2-3 games. Don't get me wrong, he has all of the tools to be a NFL WR. He just needs a lot of work before any fans should talk about that.

Right, I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that there are ASU fans out there suggesting him leaving early. He has the skill and size, I believe, but he's not fundamentally ready.

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Right, I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that there are ASU fans out there suggesting him leaving early. He has the skill and size, I believe, but he's not fundamentally ready.

Fans need to learn to just shut up when it comes to that. Players don't need to listen to fans who have no clue where the player might get drafted. When he is a junior he should request his status from the NFL, talk to coaches, NFL players, and family members and decide what is best for him. Fans have no clue where a player will go in the draft and there is such an advisory board in the NFL whose main purpose is to provide that information to underclassmen.

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Everyone asks this but where is he going that people keep talking about? He can't transfer up and anyone who thinks he would get drafted high enough to leave early for the NFL has no business even talking NFL prospects. They clearly don't know what it takes and should leave it to the scouts who do it. Not being mean here but just stating that Edwards would be lucky to get drafted higher than the 6th or 7th round as a junior.

AppAlum2003
January 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Everyone asks this but where is he going that people keep talking about? He can't transfer up and anyone who thinks he would get drafted high enough to leave early for the NFL has no business even talking NFL prospects. They clearly don't know what it takes and should leave it to the scouts who do it. Not being mean here but just stating that Edwards would be lucky to get drafted higher than the 6th or 7th round as a junior.

So let's say he has a Senior year that mirrors his Junior year. What do you think of his pro prospects? I guess I'm not going out on a limb to say that he'll be converted to WR or KR by a team. If he continues his success next year, do you see him being a first day pick? Or will someone take a chance on him on day 2? I, for one, respect your opinion and would appreciate any info you might have.

appfan2008
January 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I have no right to share my opinion but my guess would be late second day and picked up as a project/athlete/4th string emergency qb... type thing

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
So let's say he has a Senior year that mirrors his Junior year. What do you think of his pro prospects? I guess I'm not going out on a limb to say that he'll be converted to WR or KR by a team. If he continues his success next year, do you see him being a first day pick? Or will someone take a chance on him on day 2? I, for one, respect your opinion and would appreciate any info you might have.

My guess and that of many who are in the know is that he would be a day two guy. Look at past players like him from FBS schools. They went in the 4th-7th round. Edwards was beat up pretty good at LSU so he will need a great game against ECU and then another great senior season to get a legit look. We all want to see all-star games because it is the best competition, right? So, that means ECU is the game everyone wants to see him in because that is the best competition for him.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades here but I do know that many players have ruined their potential pro careers due to listening to fans who have no clue and even agents who have no clue about where that player is going to go. AE needs to have a great senior year and do well in the all-star games and hope he gets a combine invite to showcase his athletic ability, which I think will impress some people. I am 99 percent sure he will play in an all-star game next year. Don't be surprised to see him play in an all-star game in Texas like the ones Dexter Jackson, Corey Lynch, and Kerry Brown played in.

AppAlum2003
January 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
My guess and that of many who are in the know is that he would be a day two guy. Look at past players like him from FBS schools. They went in the 4th-7th round. Edwards was beat up pretty good at LSU so he will need a great game against ECU and then another great senior season to get a legit look. We all want to see all-star games because it is the best competition, right? So, that means ECU is the game everyone wants to see him in because that is the best competition for him.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades here but I do know that many players have ruined their potential pro careers due to listening to fans who have no clue and even agents who have no clue about where that player is going to go. AE needs to have a great senior year and do well in the all-star games and hope he gets a combine invite to showcase his athletic ability, which I think will impress some people. I am 99 percent sure he will play in an all-star game next year. Don't be surprised to see him play in an all-star game in Texas like the ones Dexter Jackson, Corey Lynch, and Kerry Brown played in.

I appreciate the honesty and agree with you. Every fanbase has their share of delusional fans. I think that most level-headed ASU fans realize that AE, although a great FCS QB/player, is no shoe-in for the NFL. We just hope the best for him and would love to see him play on Sundays, in ANY capacity.

smallcollegefbfan
January 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I appreciate the honesty and agree with you. Every fanbase has their share of delusional fans. I think that most level-headed ASU fans realize that AE, although a great FCS QB/player, is no shoe-in for the NFL. We just hope the best for him and would love to see him play on Sundays, in ANY capacity.

I think he will.

Another thing that hurts college football are these draft websites who hype players as first rounders as sophomores and juniors and these great young players often leave too early. I know Terrell Hudgins has been told by agents and others from what I have heard that he shoudl consider coming out early. Why would he? First, he won't go in the top 4 rounds unless he improves his speed and secondly he will play on a good team next year. These guys need to enjoy college because the NFL is a cutthroat business and it is all about the money and not as much about the passion for the game and 21 year old kids aren't ready for that.

SU Jag
January 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Kenyon Hambrick left Alabama A&M after his junior season in 2000.

Retro
January 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM
NW State RB Derrick Johnese left in 2005 due to grades.

Then there were 2 different RB's from NWST that left early in recent years.

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Then there were 2 different RB's from NWST that left early in recent years.

Taylor and Johnese were the two.

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I have no right to share my opinion but my guess would be late second day and picked up as a project/athlete/4th string emergency qb... type thing

Maybe cornerback?

AppAlum2003
January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe cornerback?

Yeah, maybe someone could tell him "we want to use you at cornerback" and mumble really badly so it sounds like "quarterback."

Purple Pride
January 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
BREAKING NEWS: NFL ANNOUNCES NEW ADDITIONS TO EARLY ENTRY LIST

NFL teams received a memo from the league office last week with a list of names that were not on the previously announced list of underclassmen. Below is that list:

DT Chris Baker, Hampton, Jr.
WR Austin Collie, BYU, Jr.
CB Braelon Davis, West Texas A&M, Jr. (Baylor transfer)
S Brandon Echols, Georgia Southern, Jr.
DB Tupo Fuaau, Washington State
WR John Halman, Concordia AL
DE Paul Kruger, Utah, Soph.
DT Vaughn Martin, Western Ontario, Soph.
LB Gerald McRath, Southern Miss, Jr.
RB Ernest Robinson, Virginia Union, Soph.
RB Asaph Shwapp, Notre Dame, Sr. (had an extra year)
DT J.D. Skoltnisky, James Madison, Jr.
K Merf Trout, Graceland IA
CB James Williams, S. Conn. State, Jr.
WR TJ Williams, Valdosta State, Jr. (D2)
OG Cameron Young, Tyler JC

mcveyrl
January 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
BREAKING NEWS: NFL ANNOUNCES NEW ADDITIONS TO EARLY ENTRY LIST

NFL teams received a memo from the league office last week with a list of names that were not on the previously announced list of underclassmen. Below is that list:

Does anybody know if any of these names are actual prospects? I would guess that most have grade/discipline issues (or took an illegal supplement during the playoffs that carried an automatic one year suspension...:o)

Eaglesrus
January 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Does anybody know if any of these names are actual prospects? I would guess that most have grade/discipline issues (or took an illegal supplement during the playoffs that carried an automatic one year suspension...:o)

I haven't heard of any recent problems, but Echols was off the team a couple of times during his career at GSU, so there MAY have been some issues.

Big Al
January 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Is it just those 3 from FCS schools?

I wonder if these guys are juniors academically, as well? I know Mark Sanchez at USC while a junior for eligibility purposes is done with school. Same thing happened with Alex Smith at Utah back in 2005. I just don't see why a guy should be listed as "declaring early" if he's done with school.

Dukie95
February 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Skolnitsky is graduating this year. He would have been a 5th year senior.