PDA

View Full Version : The Orange Bowl

Hansel
January 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
What were there 10 people there? Had to be one of the most unattractive BCS games in years... heck nobody even started a thread on it here. Do you think the Orange Bowl committee will lobby to get non ACC/Big East teams - which typically don't travel well?

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
What were there 10 people there? Had to be one of the most unattractive BCS games in years... heck nobody even started a thread on it here. Do you think the Orange Bowl committee will lobby to get non ACC/Big East teams - which typically don't travel well?
I think they'll be OK when the Florida two are back. I.E. next season. xreadx

Hansel
January 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I think they'll be OK when the Florida two are back. I.E. next season. xreadx

Florida State- maybe... but Miami only fills up 60% of Joe Robbie when they are playing there as a home game.

Who would travel well to the Orange Bowl from the ACC/Big East

Florida St
?
?
?
????????

tribe_pride
January 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Miami is now in the ACC. Florida team in the Big East is USF. Not sure how they travel though

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Florida State- maybe... but Miami only fills up 60% of Joe Robbie when they are playing there as a home game.

Who would travel well to the Orange Bowl from the ACC/Big East

Florida St
?
?
?
????????
ACC: Clemson Big East: West Virginia would. That's about it. I say keep the ACC tie in but rotate opponents.

The Orange Bowl isn't the same in Dolphins Stadium.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Miami is now in the ACC. Florida team in the Big East is USF. Not sure how they travel though
xlolx xlolx USF fans are Florida St., Florida, and Miami fans. They'll be there already. USF doesn't travel well.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Dolphin Stadium is just a drab place for college football. Miami won't come close to filling it up unless they're Top 5 in the country. Their fans take "fair weather" to a whole knew level. The worst thing that ever happened to the Orange Bowl game was moving it out of the Orange Bowl. It had tradition and was played at a unique facility that i think had a little more attraction to the casual football fan. I know i would be much more excited to see my team play at the the real Orange Bowl not some ho-hum NFL stadium. I remember numerous Orange Bowl games since it moved to Dolphin Stadium with a lot of empty seats.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Dolphin Stadium is just a drab place for college football. Miami won't come close to filling it up unless they're Top 5 in the country. Their fans take "fair weather" to a whole knew level. The worst thing that ever happened to the Orange Bowl game was moving it out of the Orange Bowl. It had tradition and was played at a unique facility that i think had a little more attraction to the casual football fan. I know i would be much more excited to see my team play at the the real Orange Bowl not some ho-hum NFL stadium. I remember numerous Orange Bowl games since it moved to Dolphin Stadium with a lot of empty seats.
That place has no emotion. I remember when the Blockbuster Bowl was there, that's what the Orange Bowl feels like to me.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
That place has no emotion. I remember when the Blockbuster Bowl was there, that's what the Orange Bowl feels like to me.

It's just a terrible place for college football in general. Miami moving there ultimately will be a bad move in the long run. Personally i wouldn't shed a tear if the BCS would eliminate the Orange as a BCS Bowl in favor of the Cotton Bowl. The Cotton Bowl is a much better enviroment for college football and i think would be much better supported. There's too many transplants and old folks in south Florida to keep the Orange Bowl a viable game at a place as sterile as Dolphin Stadium.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
It's just a terrible place for college football in general. Miami moving there ultimately will be a bad move in the long run. Personally i wouldn't shed a tear if the BCS would eliminate the Orange as a BCS Bowl in favor of the Cotton Bowl. The Cotton Bowl is a much better enviroment for college football and i think would be much better supported. There's too many transplants and old folks in south Florida to keep the Orange Bowl a viable game at a place as sterile as Dolphin Stadium.
It'll be interesting to see how the Cotton Bowl atmosphere will be at the Cowboys new stadium.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Cotton Bowl atmosphere will be at the Cowboys new stadium.

That's right, i forgot about that. Check that one off the list then. Money once again ruins college football. :o

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
That's right, i forgot about that. Check that one off the list then. Money once again ruins college football. :o
I'm a huge Cowboy fan as most know, but I don't like moving games unless it's necessary. I haven't been to the Cotton Bowl in quite some time but games like that deserve that old charm.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm a huge Cowboy fan as most know, but I don't like moving games unless it's necessary. I haven't been to the Cotton Bowl in quite some time but games like that deserve that old charm.

It'll follow the same fate as the Orange Bowl IMO. Bowl games are as much about the places they are played as they are the game/teams itself. The Orange Bowl is the Orange Bowl because of where it was played, same with the Cotton Bowl. No matter how you try to spin it you can't call it the Cotton Bowl and play it at Cowboy Stadium. Could you imagine the Rose Bowl being played at a new NFL stadium in downtown LA? It would ruin the game much like the Orange Bowl move has ruined that one. The Fiesta Bowl also has been dimished since it's move. NFL stadiums are just way too sterile for college football games. The other problem is having this games all spread out anymore. New Years Day and college football no longer go hand and hand. In fact i thought the hockey game was the premier event yesterday.

brownbear
January 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
I don't understand why the Cotton Bowl is moving? They just renovated the Cotton Bowl stadium this year and brought it up to 90,000 seats, just as much as the new Cowboys stadium?

I agree with most of what has been said here. College games do not work in pro stadiums. Pro stadiums revolve around luxury boxes and fancy amenities. College football is much better with just bleachers out in the open.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I don't understand why the Cotton Bowl is moving? They just renovated the Cotton Bowl stadium this year and brought it up to 90,000 seats, just as much as the new Cowboys stadium?

I agree with most of what has been said here. College games do not work in pro stadiums. Pro stadiums revolve around luxury boxes and fancy amenities. College football is much better with just bleachers out in the open.

There's a few NFL places where college games work. The Georgia and Super Dome as well as Altell for UGA/Florida come to mind. Those places present a good atmosphere for the college game. The Super Dome has also played host to perhaps more famous events then any other facility in the country.

813Jag
January 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
There's a few NFL places where college games work. The Georgia and Super Dome as well as Altell for UGA/Florida come to mind. Those places present a good atmosphere for the college game. The Super Dome has also played host to perhaps more famous events then any other facility in the country.
To me the SuperDome is always a good place to watch a game as long as you're not in the top level. I love that place even when the seats were hard. I've never been a fan of the Georgia Dome it always seemed like it was thrown together. Never was a fan of the seats although it's been years since I've been there. I think Alltel or whatever it's called is a nice stadium, to me it's a college stadium due to its size. The club level is nice.

slycat
January 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Get rid of auto bids. If FBS isn't going use a playoff system then they need to award the 5 BCS games to the top 10 teams in the BCS rankings.

Franks Tanks
January 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
ACC: Clemson Big East: West Virginia would. That's about it. I say keep the ACC tie in but rotate opponents.

The Orange Bowl isn't the same in Dolphins Stadium.

Correct I think WVU is the best traveling team in the Big East. If Rutgers ever makes it to the Orange Bowl that would do well too fan wise. A ton on NJ people have houses or moved permanetly to Florida. Virtually every bowl game wasnt a sell out this year-- perhaps it is the poor economy?

Tribefan
January 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
The Orange Bowl is tied to the ACC champ unless somehow the ACC champ gets to the NC game.

From the Big East, WVU would definitely travel. Louisville traveled well there when they played Wake Forest. Rutgers has a surprisingly large fanbase. They somehow sent 12,000+ people to see Rutgers play in Toronto last season. USF fans proved this year that they won't even travel across their own town to see their team play, but they would definitely send a big contingent to the Orange.

Syracuse has fans all over the place that seem to come out of the woodwork when they are good, but it's been a long time.

The problem with the ACC and the BE is that they have a higher than normal count of schools with basketball fanbases and between the two conferences, one quarter of their membership is small private schools (SU, WF, BC and Duke).

Tribefan
January 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Correct I think WVU is the best traveling team in the Big East. If Rutgers ever makes it to the Orange Bowl that would do well too fan wise. A ton on NJ people have houses or moved permanetly to Florida. Virtually every bowl game wasnt a sell out this year-- perhaps it is the poor economy?

There's two NFL playoff games this weekend that haven't even sold out. Minnesota and Arizona if I am not mistaken.

TheValleyRaider
January 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Didn't the Orange Bowl get stuck choosing Cincinnati because of the bowl rotation this year?

As I understand it, the Orange got the last pick of the BCS Bowls because they were hosting the Title Game. Rose was obviously going to take PSU-USC, Sugar got Alabama then Utah, Fiesta took Texas and Ohio State, which left the Orange to have to take Cincinnati to match up with VT