PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2009 Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Baldy
January 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
BB14, if you were referencing Billy Lowe (as introvertedgsufan appeared to me to be) he already redshirted a year elsewhere, played a year for us and was out last year with an injury, so there's not a red shirt year for him to take. I guess maybe y'all were both talking about Brent Osborne, though. Anyway, I'm thinking that the competition between Lowe, Henton and Chapple is going to be something to see!

If I'm not mistaken, Billy requested and was granted a medical redshirt from the NCAA so he didn't lose a year of eligibility for last season. If the math is correct, he should still be a Sophomore next season..... xconfusedx

Eaglesrus
January 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Billy requested and was granted a medical redshirt from the NCAA so he didn't lose a year of eligibility for last season. If the math is correct, he should still be a Sophomore next season..... xconfusedx

That's my understanding as well.

c15683
January 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
FROM LFN WEB SITE

Lehigh:
WR Dan Cintron (Barnegat HS, NJ)
The skinny: Verbally committed to Lehigh. The 5'11 180 lb speedster was listed as "one of the fastest players on the shore" and would seem to fit in well in a big need area for Lehigh with the top three receivers from last year lost to graduation. Shows some pretty good vision in the video on ESPN's recruiting site - and watching him speed past defensive backs on the slant pattern make you think of the possibilities.

WR/DB Ryan Spadola (Freehold Township HS, NJ)
The skinny: Verbally committed to Lehigh. As Cintron is a speedster, the 6'3 181 lb Spadola is seen as a "red zone and possession receiver," according to the video on ESPN's recruiting site. ESPN also calls him a "hard worker" with "excellent hands", and my watch of the video shows a nice second gear. "I didn't get any college offers for track," he told the Asbury Park Press. "Lehigh kept talking to me. They are one of the top eight business schools in the nation and I will major in business."

OL/DL Ryan Weitz (East Lake HS, FL)
The skinny: Verbally commited to Lehigh, there's nothing "skinny" about this 6'2, 300 lb behemoth that looks an awful lot like a very good prospect for Lehigh's "O" line. First team selection for his "O" line play, and has played in several Florida all-star games.

WR/CB James Flynn (Notre Dame HS, CA)
The skinny: Has a Lehigh offer on the table - and it's clear that WR is a priority for this Lehigh coaching staff. The 6'0 175 lb California speedster has a laundry list of football honors, including All Golden State 1st team and LA Times 1st team honors among others. Had 48 catches, 1,112 yards and 19 TDs as a senior - and also competes in track. If the Scouts.com list of schools that he's interested in is any indicator, we might have a really good chance of having him come out East.

QB/DB Zach Ziulli (Perkiomen Valley HS, PA)
The skinny: Lists Lehigh as a school of interest in his Rivals.com profile. At Upper Perk, the 6'2, 172 lb QB ripped appart high school secondaries with 2,541 yards passing and 27 TDs, with a 60% completion percentage and also rushed for 676 yards. Has FBS schools like UConn and Temple sniffing around him, too.

C Reggie Eiland (Brandywine Gwynn Park, MD)
The skinny: A 6'3, 275 lb lineman rumored to be visiting with Colgate and Lehigh, and has video of his performance in high school.

DE Tahir Basil (Roman Catholic HS, PA)
The skinny: Reported Lehigh, Lafayette, and Delaware State as schools of interest. The 6'1 242 lb had 65 tackles and 6 sacks as a senior, but is rumored to be leaning towards Delaware State at the moment.

Wildcat80
January 31st, 2009, 08:00 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The Catamounts are coming..."run for the hills" xnodx

Getting alot of offers out there is a good strategy for a new coach. Kids notice and a few actually visit cullowhee which gives them a chance. WCU is on the way back. Lookout socon.

Wildcat80
January 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM
GoWildCats789 - Are you able to source the Nick Schmalhofer commitment to UNH via a newspaper report or is it just football sources? I heard that App. State really wanted this kid and that he was initially leaning to ASU after his Official Visit there two weekends ago. Must have had a change of heart.xbawlingx

Was the 1st OL recruit offered by ASU-- which says alot. Samford's OL coach flew to PA to offer him. Ron English exDC of Michigan offered him at DL at Eastern Michigan. No wonder UNH's OL coach liked him. I think we got real good kids out of PA this year. Colbert & Muller are studs too.

813Jag
January 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
So far the only Southern commitment that I know of: Anthony Lee, Athlete
Beaumont (TX) Ozen

utcfan
January 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
UTC Signees to this point

Zac Fairchild QB 6'-5" 245 Ringgold H.S.
Marlon Anthony WR 6'-5" 185 Kell H.S.
Kadeem Wise CB 5'-10" 172 Berkmar H.S.
Wes Dothard LB 6'-1" 200 Carrollton H.S.
Durlandis Hill DE 6'-3" 220 Newnun H.S.
Brian Sutherland WR 5'-10" 170 University of Miami (Ohio)
Graham Nichols QB 6'-3" 191 Franklin H.S.
Chris Awuah ATH(RB) 5'-9" 168 South Cobb H.S.
David Clemons OL 6'-3" 270 Calhoun H.S.
Davon "D.J." Key DB 5'-10" 178 Hickman County H.S.
Jake Francis, OL, Walton HS (GA)
Josh Williams, DE, Stephenson HS (GA)
Bennett Henry, FS, Chamblee HS (GA)

Link below has links to specifics on some of the signees

http://moctalk.yuku.com/topic/7326

Tribe4SF
February 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
W&M adds another in TE Robert Asmar, 6'4" 235 from St. Stephens & St. Agnes School in Alexandria, VA.

Ronbo
February 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Montana so far. As usual loaded with quality Montana kids that fly under the national radar. Some are kids we would have had trouble landing if they played HS in California or Washington. They would be getting FBS offers. We expect another 7-8 commits by Wed. deadline.

Those that have signed
Zach McRae JC QB 6'0' 200 (Dillon, MT) via Reedley College

Those that have verballed:
Travis Andrus WR 6'1" 175 Flathead HS (Kalispell, MT)
Bryce Carver WR 6'1" 170 Beaverhead County (Dillon, MT)
Brock Coyle RB/LB 6'1" 200 (Bozeman, MT)
Kyle Hoffman OG 6'4" 285 (Eastsound, WA)
Clay Pierson WR/S 6'4" 205 (Twin Bridges, MT)
Ty Timmer LB 6'0" 210 (Great Falls, MT)
Jordon Tripp 6'2" 202 (Missoula, MT Big Sky HS)
Josh Pelczar WR/Ret 5'9" 160 (Billings, MT)
Aaron Roberts WR 5'10" 165 Joel E Ferris HS (Spokane, WA)
Steven Rominger RB/S 5'10" 185 (Missoula, Mt. Sentinel HS)
Michael Sylvestre DT 6'2" 260 4.89 Hamilton HS (Chandler, AZ)
D.J. Zapata, QB 6'3" 180 (San Marcos, California)

813Jag
February 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Armwood (Seffner, FL) WR Rob Jones commits (http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2009/02/armwoods-rob-jo.html) to Delaware.

mcveyrl
February 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
JMU got a commitment from Jordan Stanton, who had received offers from Maryland and BC.

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=35170&CHID=3&sub=

The article also lists current commitments.

813Jag
February 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hillsborough (Tampa) xthumbsupx K/P Evan Colborne commits (http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2009/02/five-terriers-t.html) to Colgate.

blueballs
February 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Armwood (Seffner, FL) WR Rob Jones commits (http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2009/02/armwoods-rob-jo.html) to Delaware.

GSU was on this kid too. I wish him the best at UD (unless he plays against GSU).

DaBigBlue
February 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is a question. ODU now has seven commitments from skill players, that run the 40 in 4.5 or faster. Are the recruiting sites reliable about speed? I know some were timed at camps, but not all. Coach Wilder is trying to build a quick team, but what do you trust. We ODU fans are new to the ways of FCS football, so some insight would be helpful.

Tribe4SF
February 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
This is a question. ODU now has seven commitments from skill players, that run the 40 in 4.5 or faster. Are the recruiting sites reliable about speed? I know some were timed at camps, but not all. Coach Wilder is trying to build a quick team, but what do you trust. We ODU fans are new to the ways of FCS football, so some insight would be helpful.

The answer to your question is not no, but HELL NO! The 40 times propogated by the recruiting sites are pure fantasy.

-If a guy runs a 4.5 forty, that translates to a 100 meter time of about 10.5. Look around high school track meet results from anywhere, and you'll find very few kids running that fast. The recruiting sites would have us believe that they are everywhere. The only reliable forty times are those that are electronically timed, and there are not many of those.

-When Dominique Thompson was playing at W&M he was generally regarded as the fastest WR in the CAA. The NFL timed him in 4.52 for the forty.

Casey_Orourke
February 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
From what I can gather, Portland State has solid commitments on the following players.

Mitch Gaulke OC 6-1 263 West Linn, OR
Jaycob Shoemaker LB 6-1 220 Casa Robles, CA
Donte Almond DB 6-2 205 Los Altos, CA/Foothill College (JC)
Micheal Almond DB 6-2 195 Los Altos, CA/Foothill College (JC)
Nevin Lewis WR 6-1 195 Culver, OR
Tym Pearson QB 6-2 200 Thurston, OR
Kalua Noa WR 6-1 190 Kaiser, HI
Ben Bowen RB 5-10 200 Mt Whitney, CA
Ryan Reardon LB 6-0 203 Notre Dame Preparatory, AZ
Saui Matagise DE/DT 6-2 247 Waimea, HI
Mitchell Van Dyk OT 6-9 250 Paso Robles, CA
Earnest Norman LB 5-11 Euless Trinity, TX
Josh Ah Toon DT 6-3 300 Newberg, OR
Nick Green QB 6-2 195 Central Catholic, OR/Air Force
Carl Sommer DE 6-4 248 Wilsonville, OR/Oregon State

Reign of Terrier
February 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
The answer to your question is not no, but HELL NO! The 40 times propogated by the recruiting sites are pure fantasy.

-If a guy runs a 4.5 forty, that translates to a 100 meter time of about 10.5. Look around high school track meet results from anywhere, and you'll find very few kids running that fast. The recruiting sites would have us believe that they are everywhere. The only reliable forty times are those that are electronically timed, and there are not many of those.

-When Dominique Thompson was playing at W&M he was generally regarded as the fastest WR in the CAA. The NFL timed him in 4.52 for the forty.

wait a second 4.5 x 2.5= about 11.5 (but that is still fast and then again you also have to factor in stamina)

Baldy
February 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Per rivals.com, GSU has a verbal commitment from Lawrence Martin 6'4" 280lbs. OL from Seabreeze High out of Daytona Beach, FL. Martin also had offers from Middle Tennessee and Appalachian State.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=92412

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3965750

DLS
February 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
HEY APP GOT A LINEMAN! kind of . . . .

Mark Moll 6-1 220

invited walk-on

(from a paysite so i'm reluctant to divulge anymore info)

93henfan
February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
GoHens.net maintains an excellent Recruitment page for UD at:

http://www.gohens.net/recruits.php

Verbal commits to UD are coded green, formerly interested recruits that have committed elsewhere are red, transfers are purple, uncommitted are neutral.

Delaware's 2009 class looks good to me, but hey, doesn't everyone say that every year for their school?

Wildcat80
February 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM

Verbal commits to UD are coded green, formerly interested recruits that have committed elsewhere are red, transfers are purple, uncommitted are neutral.

Delaware's 2009 class looks good to me, but hey, doesn't everyone say that every year for their school?

What's up with Delaware.....going the high school route for a change? except QB of course. Why would any HS QB go to DE?

813Jag
February 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM

I can't as I have no clue what they're doing. Haven't heard anything. I've looked around, I guess we're not having a football team this year. xlolx

Appinator
February 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
After visiting ASU this past weekend, the Neers stole one away from UAB:

Two star
Justin Wray
Safety
Covington (GA) Eastside

Ht: 6-foot-1 (Events)
Wt: 197 lbs
Forty: 4.5 secs
Vertical: 34 inches

Still no O-lineman to be seen

mcveyrl
February 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM

Yea, if every school's recruiting class fulfilled the optimism it inspired in the fan base, every week would be like watching the NFL!

Tribe4SF
February 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
wait a second 4.5 x 2.5= about 11.5 (but that is still fast and then again you also have to factor in stamina)

You forget that the slowest part of a race is the start. That conversion came from a track coach who wrote an article about 40 times a couple of years ago. I remember him citing that the then world record 100 meter run included a 4.3 for the first 40 yards. Stamina is not a big factor for the 100.

WOCO
February 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
You forget that the slowest part of a race is the start. That conversion came from a track coach who wrote an article about 40 times a couple of years ago. I remember him citing that the then world record 100 meter run included a 4.3 for the first 40 yards. Stamina is not a big factor for the 100.

A Track 40 time is completely different from a football 40. In football the clock starts when you move. In track the gun goes off and then you move with the clock already running. By football standards, World Class Track guys are running about a 3.9 40 or better because there are to separate reaction times that you have to account for. Think about it. The demps kid from florida runs a 4.2 40 and a 10.01 100 meters. He would lose by 15 yards to bolt in the 100. A 40 really measures who can get to their top speed the fastest and not necesairaly who has the highes top speed. That's why it means so much in football, but doesn't always translate to the track. One more thing. Stamina is huge in the 100. The winner is generally who slows down the least after they reach top speed if the race is close.

andy7171
February 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Towson grabs 3 star QB!

Chroniger Bound for Towson
What a long, strange recruiting road it has been for DeMatha quarterback Tom Chroniger. A two-year starter for the Stags, Chroniger early in the season committed to play for Eastern Michigan. Then he backed off that pledge and hoped to secure a scholarship offer to play in the ACC or Big East, possibly as a safety.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/recruitinginsider/2009/02/chroniger_bound_for_towson.html?wprss=recruitingin sider

813Jag
February 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Just some Tampa area commits (if these were reported already, apologies)
Sergio Robinson, Spoto, DL, 6-3, 250: Committed to Charleston Southern (01/20/09). Had 14 sacks for the Spartans last year

Ryan Weitz, East Lake, OL, 6-2, 300: Committed to Lehigh. Was first-team all-county selection.

Jared Brisbon, Hillsborough, LB, 6-0, 205: Committed to Florida A&M. One of county's best LBs.

Devin Ray, Riverview, LB, 6-0, 225: Committed to North Carolina A&T (02/01/09). Also considered Elon and Hofstra.

Tribe4SF
February 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
A Track 40 time is completely different from a football 40. In football the clock starts when you move. In track the gun goes off and then you move with the clock already running. By football standards, World Class Track guys are running about a 3.9 40 or better because there are to separate reaction times that you have to account for. Think about it. The demps kid from florida runs a 4.2 40 and a 10.01 100 meters. He would lose by 15 yards to bolt in the 100. A 40 really measures who can get to their top speed the fastest and not necesairaly who has the highes top speed. That's why it means so much in football, but doesn't always translate to the track. One more thing. Stamina is huge in the 100. The winner is generally who slows down the least after they reach top speed if the race is close.

In football the clock starts when the guy pushes the button, and therein lies the problem. Combine staff, and kids attending combines have a vested interest in good times. Methods and measurement fluctuate widely from one combine to another.

Bottom line is that 40 times on recruiting websites have to be assumed to be inaccurate, especially with kids at our level.

introvertedGSUfan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
How do they clock 40 times at the NFL combine then?

93henfan
February 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Towson grabs 3 star QB!

Chroniger Bound for Towson
What a long, strange recruiting road it has been for DeMatha quarterback Tom Chroniger. A two-year starter for the Stags, Chroniger early in the season committed to play for Eastern Michigan. Then he backed off that pledge and hoped to secure a scholarship offer to play in the ACC or Big East, possibly as a safety.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/recruitinginsider/2009/02/chroniger_bound_for_towson.html?wprss=recruitingin sider

I was keeping an eye on that guy since he was first mentioned on GoHens. Looks like a terrific pickup for Towson. xthumbsupx

WOCO
February 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
How do they clock 40 times at the NFL combine then?

NFL times are a Hybrid. They start the clock manually when the player moves but the finish line is electronic at 40 yards. In Track reaction times are about .24 seconds. That is why when they measure a forty it is different. When they get to 40 yards you have to subtract that reaction time to get to the 40 time by nfl standards. Also the same applies for the person starting the clock in an nfl 40. Another .24 seconds at best but those arent elite athletes reacting to the start. All that said. The times on rivals are posted by recruits trying to get a full ride to a big school and are completely unreliable.

Bobcat in NC
February 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Addition for MSU:

Travis Bertelsen, RB, 5'11", 185 (Wibaux, MT)

xthumbsupx

CatFan22
February 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Addition for MSU:

Travis Bertelsen, RB, 5'11", 185 (Wibaux, MT)

xthumbsupx

Bertelson:

Bertelsen was an all-conference performer for four years and all-state for three. He also played in State C championship games as a sophomore and senior. This year he rushed for 1,325 yards and 29 touchdowns on 176 carries. This year's receiving totals were 27 receptions for 411 yards and four touchdowns. For his career, Bertelsen had 510 carries for 3,989 yards and 79 TDs. His career receiving totals are 138 catches for 2,677 yards and 35 touchdowns.

And:
Gianni Carter
Ht: 6-2.5 Wt: 198 40: 4.55
Position: WR
Year: Class of 2009
High School: Marist HS
(Eugene, OR)

2-star recruit on Scout.com

As a 2008 senior at Eugene (Ore.) Marist, had 58 receptions for 1,004 yards and 20 touchdowns. Defensively, had 64 tackles and three interceptions for touchdowns. Led the state of Oregon in receiving yards and touchdowns. Was names First Team All-League as a WR and Safety and was named Offensive Player of the Year. Selected as the KVAL Play of the Year.

Father is in the Linfield Hall of Fame. Caught 65 passes for 805 yards and five touchdowns as a junior.

Appinator
February 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Here's at least one of the O-Linemen the Apps have been looking for:

Storm Moore:
Offensive tackle
St. Stephen (SC) Timberland
Ht: 6-foot-4
Wt: 270 lbs

Pretty bad a$$ name, guess they had to have him because Armanti makes it rain TDs all day!

Bad joke, I'm sorry

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Southern Football Signees
Darin Self, RB, 6-1, 227, Greensburg (St. Helena Central HS)
Terrence Fletcher, DE, 5-11, 180, Houston (Eisenhower HS)
Adonis Armstrong, DB, 5-10, 175, Clinton, MS (Clinton HS)
Jeremiah McGinty, QB, 6-0, 200, Houston (Southeast Prep HS)
Dion Palmer, DE, 6-3, 230, Houston (Southeast Prep HS)
LeAndre Thompson, QB, 6-3, 195, Baton Rouge (McKinley HS)
David Daye, Jr., LB/SS, 5-11, 230, Houston (Southeast Prep HS)

feb18blacksunday
February 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Signed Letter of Intent / App State

Zac Baker LB 6-2/214
Michael Frazier LB 6-0/205
Brandon Grier LB 6-2/210
Jamal Jackson QB 6-4/180
Jeremy Kimbrough LB 5-11/215
Jamill Lott ATH 6-1/177
Demetrius McCray QB 6-3/180
Storm Moore OL 6-4/270
Andrew Peacock QB 5-10/165
Troy Sanders DB 6-1/175
Quin Thornton ATH 5-8/175
Rodger Walker WR 6-0/160
Tony Washington ATH 5-11/175
Justin Wray DB 6-0/197

ysubigred
February 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Youngstown xpeacex

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2009/signeesrecap.htm

PhoenixPhan06
February 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
2009 Elon Phoenix Recruiting Class

Coach Lembo and his coaching staff had some great things to say about this class

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news.aspx?sid=fb&nid=6025

Skjellyfetti
February 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Storm Moore has to be one of the greatest names ever.

813Jag
February 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Southern gets 4 more:
Verlis Martin DB 5-10 170 Houston, TX (Eisenhower HS)
Marcus Thompson DE 6-0 215 Houston, TX (Eisenhower HS)
Lynnon Coleman LB 6-1 1/2 230 Baton Rouge, LA (Scotlandville HS)
Brandon Haskin OL 6-3 285 Baton Rouge, LA (Desire Street Academy)