PDA

View Full Version : FCS Players Going To the Combine

smallcollegefbfan
December 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
UCA TE Marquez Branson and QB Nathan Brown both will be invited to the NFL Combine. As soon as I can confirm others I will post.

BEAR
December 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Woooohoooo! xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
December 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Woooohoooo! xlolx

Rumor also is that OT Cornelius Lewis of TSU, SHSU QB Rhett Bomar, CB Domonique Johnson of Jackson State, and WR Ramses Barden are all going to receive invites as well.

nerd
December 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
It would be stupid if Barden didn't make it. Gil Brandt told USA Today Sports Weekly earlier this year, "We'll find out what he is at the combine."

smallcollegefbfan
December 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
It would be stupid if Barden didn't make it. Gil Brandt told USA Today Sports Weekly earlier this year, "We'll find out what he is at the combine."

Wow! He didn't already know Barden is a very good player who could start in the NFL one day?

KleinTx05
December 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Do many FCS players get invited to these combines?

smallcollegefbfan
December 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Do many FCS players get invited to these combines?

Around 30 give or take some usually get invited. It is rare for a FCS player to get drafted higher than the 5th round without going to the NFL Combine. Last year we had one from Winston Salem State and I think Jermon Bushrod went 4th or early in the 5th round without an invite a couple years ago but it does not happen often.

Here is a list of players who I could see getting invites based on what I have seen.

Pos First Name Last Name School
OLB Lee Robinson Alcorn State
WR Ramses Barden Cal Poly
QB Nathan Brown Central Arkansas
FB Marquez Branson Central Arkansas
OT Nicholas Hennessey Colgate
DE Gregory Peach Eastern Washington
CB William Middleton Furman
OT Joel Bell Furman
WR Dobson Collins Gardner-Webb
WR Jeremy Gilchrist Hampton
WR Justin Brown Hampton
QB Christopher Pizzotti Harvard
WR Edward "Eddie" Thompson Idaho State
FS Thomas Nelson Illinois State
CB Domonique "DJ" Johnson Jackson State
DE Marcus Benard Jackson State
RB Rashad Jennings Liberty
CB Courtney Robinson Massachusetts
WR Quinten Lawrence McNeese State
OT Kyle Link McNeese State
CB Lardarius Webb Nicholls State
CB Don Carey Norfolk State
RB Tyler Roehl North Dakota State
TE Brian Mandeville Northeastern
CB Kevin Gerard Northern Arizona
DT Everette Pedescleaux Northern Iowa
OG Tim Henderson Northwestern State
ILB Andrew Schantz Portland State
DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr. Richmond
RB Josh Vaughan Richmond
QB Rhett Bomar Sam Houston State
WR John Matthews San Diego
WR Dominique Edison Stephen F. Austin
OG William Giles Tennessee Chattanooga
OT Cornelius Lewis Tennessee State
RB Javarris Williams Tennessee State
C Cecil Newton Tennessee State
WR Thomas Breaux III Towson
DT John Faletoese UC Davis
FB Marcus Mailei Weber State
OLB Jason Williams Western Illinois
RB Herb Donaldson Western Illinois

UMASS CB Sean Smalls might because he was considered a late round pick before going down with an injury so they might want to have him go through medical tests like I know they are looking forward to doing with Joel Bell because of his past injuries.

KleinTx05
December 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Just my opinion but i think Cameron Luke should be on that list ... He put up some TREMENDOUS numbers in only 2 1/2 years of play (check his stats) while breaking nearly every Southland recieving record. He was one of the main reasons Texas State was in the Southland race for the conference championship and a playoff hunt. IMO i think he is the one of the most overlooked of all players this year. He could have had a more outstanding year but wasnt given a legidament opportunity the last 4 games of the year, because poor coaching decisions, due to Texas State coachs not knowing how to beat a double team. Nfl Draft Scout has his 40 time alot slower than he actually is. IDK if the coach from Texas State sent that info in wrong or how it is acquired, but its not right. Not saying he has world class speed, but he is definitely faster than what they have listed. One question i wanna ask is when scouts are giving out invites, do they base their invites for WR's on 40 times listed on NFL draft scouts? Ive seen this kid play and ill put him up against anyone on that list ...including Ramses Barden from Cal Poly. He runs outstanding routes with outstanding hands, good speed and timing. Great blocker for the run and a overall great sense for the game. Once again i think it would be ashame for this kid to be overlooked. His upside is still overwhelming!!!

smallcollegefbfan
December 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Just my opinion but i think Cameron Luke should be on that list ... He put up some TREMENDOUS numbers in only 2 1/2 years of play (check his stats) while breaking nearly every Southland recieving record. He was one of the main reasons Texas State was in the Southland race for the conference championship and a playoff hunt. IMO i think he is the one of the most overlooked of all players this year. He could have had a more outstanding year but wasnt given a legidament opportunity the last 4 games of the year, because poor coaching decisions, due to Texas State coachs not knowing how to beat a double team. Nfl Draft Scout has his 40 time alot slower than he actually is. IDK if the coach from Texas State sent that info in wrong or how it is acquired, but its not right. Not saying he has world class speed, but he is definitely faster than what they have listed. One question i wanna ask is when scouts are giving out invites, do they base their invites for WR's on 40 times listed on NFL draft scouts? Ive seen this kid play and ill put him up against anyone on that list ...including Ramses Barden from Cal Poly. He runs outstanding routes with outstanding hands, good speed and timing. Great blocker for the run and a overall great sense for the game. Once again i think it would be ashame for this kid to be overlooked. His upside is still overwhelming!!!

Luke probably won't go to the combine because he is considered to have borderline NFL speed. Most people think he runs in the 4.75 range.

NFL Draft Scout uses 40 times they get from National and BLESTO, which are times that scouts are given. Each team has their own times. One thing I think fans need to realize is that NFL teams do not use the info we see online.

luflame15
December 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Rashad Jennings, will be a 3rd Round pick or higher.

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
Rashad Jennings, will be a 3rd Round pick or higher.

As of right now I would say he is not rated that high because he does lack the burst of a top 100 pick but he does run 4.49 and have great size. He is also a top notch person from what I hear.

Don't get too caught up in the hype from these draft websites because a lot of things will change between now and then. The draft is such a crap shoot that if you read back at what fans and draft sites said last year this time and look at the draft you would be shocked at how many people were way off.

He could go 3rd round or fall to round 6 or 7. He still has the Shrine game, NFL Combine, and pro days to either move up or down.

One thing that none of these websites or fans seem to remember is that underclassmen will come out. While the senior backs aren't very good there are key guys like Shonn Greene, Donald Brown, and Knowshon Moreno who could potentially take a player that might be a 4th round now and drop him to the 5th or 6th round after they all declare.

Just warning you not to get caught up in guarantees at this point because there is no guarantee. Don't ever count your chickens before they are hatched as they say. Now saying that I really hope and think he will be a top 5 round pick and could really see him in the 3rd if everything goes right.

KleinTx05
December 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Luke probably won't go to the combine because he is considered to have borderline NFL speed. Most people think he runs in the 4.75 range.

Hey thanks for the info but i seriously doubt he is that slow. We all know that McNeese is known for team speed and Cameron Luke was running right pass them earlier this year. I'd say he's about a 4.55 range kid. What he lacks in speed he surely makes up with his play ...Tough break for the kid. Its a shame that the Texas State Coach's dont do anything for their kids. Especially when we wont see another player as raw of talent as Luke for some time to come. Once again thanks for filling me in on some knowledge xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hey thanks for the info but i seriously doubt he is that slow. We all know that McNeese is known for team speed and Cameron Luke was running right pass them earlier this year. I'd say he's about a 4.55 range kid. What he lacks in speed he surely makes up with his play ...Tough break for the kid. Its a shame that the Texas State Coach's dont do anything for their kids. Especially when we wont see another player as raw of talent as Luke for some time to come. Once again thanks for filling me in on some knowledge xthumbsupx

I saw Luke and felt he probably runs a 4.65. People don't realize how fast 4.5s really are. Most NFL WRs run legit 4.4 or 4.5 and you see how many players get to that level and are just not fast enough to make it.