PDA

View Full Version : You stay lousy Syracuse!

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Ugggghhhh.... I hope this turns out to be wrong:
Looks Like Doug Marrone is the Man (http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2008/12/looks_like_doug_marrone_is_the.html)

Yeah, the last time you hired an NFL assistant, you got the worst 4 year period in the history of SU football. So let's try again, right?
I realize he's a former SU player, but wouldn't a guy with college head coaching experience on the Division I level (be it I-A or I-AA) make a hell of a lot more sense?
This stinks of the Jeff Jagodzkqwertyuioapdpaodski hire at Boston College. The difference is, Jags stepped into a situation with at least mediocre talent. The cupboard is bare in upstate NY. Anyone want to try recruiting players to a school that's won 10 games in the past 3 years?

Lest there be any confusion: I'm not a fan of Jags' hiring by B.C., and have yet to be convinced it was the right move for the long-term. Currently, they're benefiting from a piss-poor conference schedule and their annual "guarentee game" against Notre Dame to pad the schedule.

catamount man
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I don't understand it either, but then again, the Cuse hasn't been relevant in a long time. Paul Pasqualoni is somewhere smiling..........

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I don't understand it either, but then again, the Cuse hasn't been relevant in a long time. Paul Pasqualoni is somewhere smiling..........

The only reason I can think of is that Marrone could be had for pennies on the dollar compared to other candidates.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Mark Whipple erred in resiging from UMass to go to the NFL. Twice now his name has come up for major coaching vacancies for which he was an excellent fit. Twice now, he's not been hired. Hmmmm.....

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Ugggghhhh.... I hope this turns out to be wrong:
Looks Like Doug Marrone is the Man (http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2008/12/looks_like_doug_marrone_is_the.html)

Yeah, the last time you hired an NFL assistant, you got the worst 4 year period in the history of SU football. So let's try again, right?
I realize he's a former SU player, but wouldn't a guy with college head coaching experience on the Division I level (be it I-A or I-AA) make a hell of a lot more sense?
This stinks of the Jeff Jagodzkqwertyuioapdpaodski hire at Boston College. The difference is, Jags stepped into a situation with at least mediocre talent. The cupboard is bare in upstate NY. Anyone want to try recruiting players to a school that's won 10 games in the past 3 years?

Lest there be any confusion: I'm not a fan of Jags' hiring by B.C., and have yet to be convinced it was the right move for the long-term. Currently, they're benefiting from a piss-poor conference schedule and their annual "guarentee game" against Notre Dame to pad the schedule.

I agree, I though they should have went with an established HC. If Turner Gill wanted the job and the Cuse passed they deserve to stink for a long time.

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I still completely agree with the decision to dismiss Pasqualoni. His teams had fallen off and their play was chippy and sloppy, that's coaching. But, if you're going to fire your head coach for those valid reasons, wouldn't you want to hire a better coach? The decision to hire the Robinson doesn't invalidate Pasqualoni's firing.

What's happened at SU reminds me of Arizona. When they fired Dick Tomey in 2000, they were 100% correct. He returned most of his team from '98's 12-1 squad, yet they were terrible in '99 (6-6) and '00 (5-6). They couldn't run, throw, catch, block, tackle, etc... They were painful to watch. He ceased to coach and just trusted his players to know what to do.

Unfortunately, they made the same mistake that 'Cuse did and hired a replacement that was infinitely worse. In 2+ seasons, John Mackovic manged to set the Wildcats program back 10 years.

Texas A&M seems to be following the Arizona/Syracuse model since firing R.C. Slocum.

Cobblestone
December 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
The only reason I can think of is that Marrone could be had for pennies on the dollar compared to other candidates.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Mark Whipple erred in resiging from UMass to go to the NFL. Twice now his name has come up for major coaching vacancies for which he was an excellent fit. Twice now, he's not been hired. Hmmmm.....

He came close to getting the BC job over Jags (which I disagree was a bad hire). I might have mentioned this before but I heard that the only reason he didn't get it was because the AD at BC (Defillipo) wanted him to keep DC Spaziani as where Whipple wanted to bring in his own DC.

If Whipple had applied for the Syracuse job and they passed on him then shame on them. Hopefully Army will at least make Whipple an offer now that Brock is out.

furpal87
December 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The thing Marrone has going for him is he is an alum. I don't understand it either, the Syracuse board was calling the AD everything from a racist to a moron today.

catamount man
December 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Texas A&M seems to be following the Arizona/Syracuse model since firing R.C. Slocum.

Truer words were never spoken. TAM is not the Aggies of old.

Marcus Garvey
December 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
You know something? I'm convinced the administration at Syracuse doesn't give a rat's a-- about football.