PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs Elon

ILoveTreyElder15
November 16th, 2005, 07:31 PM
what do you think the score is going to be?? I think Asu 60 Elon 7

gophoenix
November 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
60? At least be serious..... we've got a better D than Citadel, Wofford, UTC and Western and you didn't put 60 up on them.

================
http://www.elonfans.com

ASU Kep
November 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
you dont have a better D than WCU...thats not say we're gonna hang 60 on ya though...that NKang guy is a beast though, I'm looking forward to the trip down, not that it seems I DONT have mono!

AppState09
November 16th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I got my tickets today, ASU ticket office is all sold out, call Elon's 336-278-6750

GO APPS, FIGHT APPS, KICK A$$

SoCon48
November 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
60? At least be serious..... we've got a better D than Citadel, Wofford, UTC and Western and you didn't put 60 up on them.

================

Moore wouldn't put 60 on anybody anyway unless the reserves did a bunch of it. He'll let a 2nd string QB throw on 3rd and long to keep the ball, though.

Very doubtful Elon's defense is better than WCU's and it would not likely be to be better than Chatt's either. Not that Elon's isn't good. It's just that WCU's is really good and Chatt's gets after you big time.
But we shall see on Saturday.

Not nearly as worried about Elon this year as next year. It's amazing how much griping there's been about Elon's offense this year considering the offense is comprised mostly of freshmen and sophomores. Starting 7 fr & sophs plus a junior according to the media guide's depth chart

SoCon48
November 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I got my tickets today, ASU ticket office is all sold out, call Elon's 336-278-6750

GO APPS, FIGHT APPS, KICK A$$

We get no $$ for Elon tickets sold by App, so might as well buy from Elon anyway. ;)

blueballs
November 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Between 40 and 50 to between 3 and 14.

App has to practice hard this week, maintain their focus, take care of business for about 40 minutes or so, then rest their starters and look ahead to Sunday at 1pm.

Eaglegus2
November 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
App's 1st string will play the 1st half and put 38 points on the board. The rest of the Team will play and add 21 more in the last half.

Final score:

App 59

Elon 14

FU97
November 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
you dont have a better D than WCU...thats not say we're gonna hang 60 on ya though...that NKang guy is a beast though, I'm looking forward to the trip down, not that it seems I DONT have mono!

At the FU-Elon game, I would swear Nkang was in on every single tackle. What a great player.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
At the FU-Elon game, I would swear Nkang was in on every single tackle. What a great player.

yeah, he's all they got

bigred
November 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM

================

Fightin' Christian, didn't you guys just get blanked by Citadel? How do you figure you have a better D than even them?

gophoenix
November 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
"Fightin' Christian, didn't you guys just get blanked by Citadel? How do you figure you have a better D than even them?"

Getting blanked deals with the offense not defense. Our offense is rated dead last in nearly every aspect when compared with every I-AA team. Also, Citadel's scores came as a result of offensive turnovers in the red zone, just like almost all of the scores this year.

So that's a silly measure to look at. Measuring our D against Citadel's because they can stop our pathetic offense from scoring anything.

Also, our defense is still ranked with UTC and Western for most stats this year. I'd say our D's are very comparable. Plus look at most of the head to head scores..... Elon is right there with UTC and Western defensively.

But then again, it really doesn't matter as it is look for bright spots in a dark place.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 09:30 AM
yeah, he's all they got

He has the best lateral movement following the ball to the line you'll ever see. You can tell he was a fullback. Making a LB out of him was a smart move.
Bear Bryant used to recruit a ton of FB's and make LB's out of them, QB's to back DB's.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM
"Fightin' Christian, didn't you guys just get blanked by Citadel? How do you figure you have a better D than even them?"

Getting blanked deals with the offense not defense. Our offense is rated dead last in nearly every aspect when compared with every I-AA team. Also, Citadel's scores came as a result of offensive turnovers in the red zone, just like almost all of the scores this year.

So that's a silly measure to look at. Measuring our D against Citadel's because they can stop our pathetic offense from scoring anything.

Also, our defense is still ranked with UTC and Western for most stats this year. I'd say our D's are very comparable. Plus look at most of the head to head scores..... Elon is right there with UTC and Western defensively.

But then again, it really doesn't matter as it is look for bright spots in a dark place.

You guys came from a TD due to laying it down at the Goal line to be beating Coastal Carolina.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM
yeah, he's all they got

I wouldn't say that is all we have. Dwayne Ijames is good at safety. Mike Sheley was excellent before being injured. Zack McAlister, Sidney Fitz-Coy and Cody Socggins all were really good before being injured at points during the season. On the line we have Hatch and Jetton that perform exactly as they need to in a 3-4 defense (meaning, opening it up for LBs to get through). Nkang is a great player, but there are plenty of other good players on the defense too.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't say that is all we have. Dwayne Ijames is good at safety. Mike Sheley was excellent before being injured. Zack McAlister, Sidney Fitz-Coy and Cody Socggins all were really good before being injured at points during the season. On the line we have Hatch and Jetton that perform exactly as they need to in a 3-4 defense (meaning, opening it up for LBs to get through). Nkang is a great player, but there are plenty of other good players on the defense too.

my point is, every single one of those players would be 2nd string on most other teams

Black and Gold Express
November 17th, 2005, 11:07 AM
my point is, every single one of those players would be 2nd string on most other teams

You have no proof of that. THat's not a fair statement to make.

Looking at Elon's games, the scores have gotten out of hand (when they have) later due to the offense setting the defense in bad positions. Either by leaving the D out on the field too much, or turning it over.

ASU should win this big, but I'm not sure it won't be until later in the game.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
You have no proof of that. THat's not a fair statement to make.

Looking at Elon's games, the scores have gotten out of hand (when they have) later due to the offense setting the defense in bad positions. Either by leaving the D out on the field too much, or turning it over.

ASU should win this big, but I'm not sure it won't be until later in the game.

its my opinion based on performance, thats all

ButlerGSU
November 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Something happens with Richie (stomach virus) so ASU's O is stopped dead in their tracks.

Elon calls on the Holy spirit of the Phonix and pulls off the upset of the century.

Elon 21
ASU 14

;-)

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Something happens with Richie (stomach virus) so ASU's O is stopped dead in their tracks.

Elon calls on the Holy spirit of the Phonix and pulls off the upset of the century.

Elon 21
ASU 14

;-)

To stop ASU dead in their tracks, Elder would have to be sick, too and the O line out.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Elon 21
ASU 14

;-)

please forward whatever drugs you are taking to my address

gophoenix
November 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM
AppGuy04,

So you're basing all your comments off the Coastal game that you saw?

Elon is:
4th in scoring defense
4th in pass defense
2nd in rush defense
3rd in total defense
3rd in pass defense eff
2nd in opponet first downs
2nd in opponet 4th down conversions
6th in red zone defense
5th in 3rd down conversions
last in kickoff coverage

My point is, your comments are definately not really playing into the stats. We have good players on defense though would probably start at most SoCon schools. There are gaps in the defense, mainly in pass coverage, probably more due to what they have to practice against with the passing game.

So why are some of our guys stats nowhere near Nkang? One answer: injuries. Mike Sheley lead tackles last year, with Nkang second. Sheley got hurt and never recovered. Zack McAlister is just a freshman. Hatch, Jetton, Bland, Scoggins and Ijames are all players. Heck, Ijames is one of the fastest guys in the conference.

My point is, the D is good. But the D has played WAY more than they O has in the past 6 games.

So you may ask, where do we give up points? A few answers: special teams setting the D up in bad situations, the offense setting the D up in bad situations. Heck, special teams gave up 2 kickoffs for TDs against Western. That cost us the game. A botched offensive drive cost us the Coastal game. A botches offensive drive cost us the Wofford game. A fumble (or INT, I can't remember) cost us the UTC game.

I am not saying the D is superb, but overall, the D would be doing the job to get any team into #4 in the conference if they had a good O to balance them out.

Appdad
November 17th, 2005, 06:30 PM
please forward whatever drugs you are taking to my address

I paid $25 for a flu shot last week and it gave me the flu.....

I don't know if I want his drugs...

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I paid $25 for a flu shot last week and it gave me the flu.....

I don't know if I want his drugs...

Flu vaccine can't cause flu. It is dead virus. It takes two weeks to take effect. You just had already been exposed or exposed while the vaccine was taking effect.

I always take the thing as early as I can get them. Never had the flu in a year I took the them. But I sure as H got a bad case the one year I didn't. Thought I was going to die.

If you are a state employee, it's free with the insurance. No deduct. No nothing.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
AppGuy04,

So you're basing all your comments off the Coastal game that you saw?

Elon is:
4th in scoring defense
4th in pass defense
2nd in rush defense
3rd in total defense
3rd in pass defense eff
2nd in opponet first downs
2nd in opponet 4th down conversions
6th in red zone defense
5th in 3rd down conversions
last in kickoff coverage

My point is, your comments are definately not really playing into the stats. We have good players on defense though would probably start at most SoCon schools. There are gaps in the defense, mainly in pass coverage, probably more due to what they have to practice against with the passing game.

So why are some of our guys stats nowhere near Nkang? One answer: injuries. Mike Sheley lead tackles last year, with Nkang second. Sheley got hurt and never recovered. Zack McAlister is just a freshman. Hatch, Jetton, Bland, Scoggins and Ijames are all players. Heck, Ijames is one of the fastest guys in the conference.

My point is, the D is good. But the D has played WAY more than they O has in the past 6 games.

So you may ask, where do we give up points? A few answers: special teams setting the D up in bad situations, the offense setting the D up in bad situations. Heck, special teams gave up 2 kickoffs for TDs against Western. That cost us the game. A botched offensive drive cost us the Coastal game. A botches offensive drive cost us the Wofford game. A fumble (or INT, I can't remember) cost us the UTC game.

I am not saying the D is superb, but overall, the D would be doing the job to get any team into #4 in the conference if they had a good O to balance them out.

hmmm, those stats are a little misleading, I wonder why, maybe cause they include games with Coastal, Savannah State, Presbyterian, & NCA&T, none of which have an impressive offense

Lets look at conference stats against teams that can actually play:
Remember, there are only 8 teams in the SoCon
Scoring Defense: 7th (28.3 points/game)
Pass Defense: 3rd (139 yards/game)
Rushing Defense: 7th (226.7 yards/game)
Total Defense: 7th (365.7 yards/game)
Pass Defense Efficiency: Last (137.3)
Sacks By: 7th (6)
Red Zone Defense: 6th (76.2%)
Opponents 3rd down Conversions: Last (46.1%)

So you are telling me that a defense who is last or 2nd to last in 6 categories in the SoCon is a good defense?

gophoenix
November 17th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Are you telling me that you just went through and recomputed for every SoCon team and placed Elon in those spots? I just went through one and Elon still came out 4th ahead of Western, Citadel and Wofford.

What I am telling you is that in head to head games, Elon's defense is not terribly different from the one at UTC, Wofford or Western. It still gives up tons to Furman, App and GSU but that defends holds the rest of the conference at bay the way it should.

I am not going to sway your opinion, so I am nto going to bother trying anymore.....

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Are you telling me that you just went through and recomputed for every SoCon team and placed Elon in those spots? I just went through one and Elon still came out 4th ahead of Western, Citadel and Wofford.

What I am telling you is that in head to head games, Elon's defense is not terribly different from the one at UTC, Wofford or Western. It still gives up tons to Furman, App and GSU but that defends holds the rest of the conference at bay the way it should.

I am not going to sway your opinion, so I am nto going to bother trying anymore.....

actually those stats are directly from soconsports.com, sort by conference games only

and you are right, the stats tell me what i need to know, other than the game against Chat, which has a decent offense, you guys have been horrid, and the stats show it, well, atleast against anyone who isn't a cellar dwellar

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Not hardly, Shelley started at ETSU and Ijames is an all-conference defensive back. He would play on probably every other team.

AppGuy04
November 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Not hardly, Shelley started at ETSU and Ijames is an all-conference defensive back. He would play on probably every other team.

so maybe a little of an embelishment, but the stats don't lie, they aren't very good

catamount man
November 17th, 2005, 10:09 PM

================

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

If our offensive coaches hadn't have had a major brainfart that allowed our defense to stay on the field the entire second half, that 31-26 score would've been worse by a country mile. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gophoenix
November 17th, 2005, 10:28 PM
If our special teams wouldn't have botched two plays, you would have lost. :D :D :D

So what's your point. I wouldn't expect smack from the only team in the conference to allow us to score more than 7.

ravens
November 18th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Let's stop arguing about whether or not Elon has a good defense or not.
Let us refocus on what they do have...the best Barbeque and hottest coeds in the SoCon. That is what will make this "game" enjoyable.

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2005, 07:42 AM
So what's your point. I wouldn't expect smack from the only team in the conference to allow us to score more than 7.

Nice one. Point to Phoenix.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Nice one. Point to Phoenix.

still sad :nod:

gsugt1
November 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Let's stop arguing about whether or not Elon has a good defense or not.
Let us refocus on what they do have hottest coeds in the SoCon. .

You haven't been to Statesboro then ? Just ask Cap'n Cat :)

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Satesboro is #2 in my book

not I-AA, but Carolina is #1, hot damn!

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
GSU fans are going to hate this...but UGA has by FAR the hottest girls in the nation, IMO. I love Athens.

...but Elon is nowhere CLOSE to tops in the SOCON...I'd say it'd be between us, GSU, and Citadel (just kidding) :)...

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I dunno man, Elon gets those rich northeastern girls. They may not have much upstairs, but they know how to look good.

soweagle
November 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM
GSU fans are going to hate this...but UGA has by FAR the hottest girls in the nation, IMO. I love Athens.

...but Elon is nowhere CLOSE to tops in the SOCON...I'd say it'd be between us, GSU, and Citadel (just kidding) :)...

Check out Ole Miss, probably the best in the SEC and the nation.

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Nah, Ole Miss has been over-rated for some years now, IMHO. Athens is the place to be, if you ask me. That rhymed.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
...but Elon is nowhere CLOSE to tops in the SOCON...I'd say it'd be between us, GSU, and Citadel (just kidding)

You are kidding with this right? GSU and App? No offense, and you do have some hotties at your schools, but nowhere near the proportion that are at Elon, Furman, or Davidson. UNCW and Coastal are two other schools that are amazing for this.

I'll agree with the UNC point though. When I worked there, I loved walking through the quad to meetings.

soweagle
November 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
I think it's a safe bet that all schools in the south have their share of beautiful women.

SoCon48
November 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
You are kidding with this right? GSU and App? No offense, and you do have some hotties at your schools, but nowhere near the proportion that are at Elon, Furman, or Davidson. UNCW and Coastal are two other schools that are amazing for this.

I'll agree with the UNC point though. When I worked there, I loved walking through the quad to meetings.

Davidson? You have lost your mind.